Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
We had a thread about the way this game portrays women and some very good points were made. She´s always seen from the eyes of men, and all of her interactions are about how important men are. Although I do think she has a good design, she´s poorly written as part of male fantas

So many good characters here that I forgot to include on my post!
And good points on the contrary were made as well. I vehemently disagree with her being poorly written but that's stuff for another thread.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I think it could be either

ABUgw4S.jpg

Iris from Final Fantasy XV. Not entirely because of the character herself, but
her dynamic with the party when she tagged along made me wish that she became a more long term, or maybe even permanent, party member. I thought she was very fun to have around.

or it could be
botw-gerudoriju02anucf.jpg

Riju from Breath of the Wild. She just has a good design and a great personality. When it comes to the champions and their descendants, Riju was really the only one aside from Revali that really stood out to me in a very positive light.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
There is only one answer. Nia from Xenoblade 2.

Quirky, goofy, caring, tough on the surface yet hiding a disheartening secret. Your best pal on the journey.
okg2h0easpn11.gif

Maybe you should spoiler tag it...

Edit: just a suggestion. The OP did not mention anything about marked or unmarked spoiler.

Nice. I really need to play Nier Automata. I like the first game a lot.

I finally know where your Avatar comes from since I started the VN myself lol. Gosh, I hope Valve let's Neknyansoft put more stuff on Steam. :/

Oct 29, 2017
Wildcard, but I'm also going to give a shoutout to Nora Salter from Infinite Warfare

c978b536b361ce1e16ee4ff3923d4b0e.jpg

She fit with the setting and so wasn't a wild personality, but she was a very good partner and had a strong rapport with Reyes. Their camaraderie was above and beyond anything else in the history of the series, and most other shooters. Hell, games in general. You could sense the long history and respect they had for each other, but there were still moments of tension when it comes to making difficult sacrifices.

It's a shame there will never be a sequel starring her.

tumblr_og71beowFI1r0xmk4o3_r1_400.gif

As totally on board as I am with the Chloe Price love in this thread, I'm super glad to see Salt get a shoutout. Great character, great performance, and it's a shame the game overall did not get the appreciation it deserved.

Virtua King

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
1. Kat (Gravity Rush 2) - She's a naive goof, but is still, above all else, kind-hearted.
2. A2 (Nier: Automata) - She's a badass with a tragic past, and is arguably
the main character
3. Miriam (Bloodstained) - She's basically Shanoa MK. II and I'm completely ok with it.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
As some others have said, Senua from Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice is worth mentioning. Easily one of my, if not my actual, favorite female characters in a game this gen. The game itself may have issues (mostly in gameplay) but her character and her story both grew on me and I needed to see where it would go. Her journey is personal and her VA delivers on all fronts. Not since Elizabeth (Bioshock: Infinite) have I felt actual emotion behind the acting. Senua is simply just that good.

giphy.gif

I have to agree.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Kassandra has this on lock.

And consider me surprised at people mentioning Lady Maria from Bloodborne. The Jango Fett effect? She's barely a character.
Plus she doesn't even look like the art in the OP lol. This is how she looks actually and compare that to the art in OP which is a fan art. And people are probably a fan of that instead of the character herself since there is not much of a character there.

WFmBTY8_d.jpg

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
People who have a problem with late game Nia are weird.

That said, this thread shows an alarming lack of Lillie.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Lara Croft from Tomb Raider if we are talking about characters that didn't necessarily originate this gen.
2B from Nier: Automata if they have to originate this gen.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Lady Maria's really cool but I'd have to give my vote to Aloy. I liked her story

Metallia

May 31, 2018
That said, this thread shows an alarming lack of Lillie.
Pokemon Lillie? I don't think I've ever seen someone praise her but I agree, actually. I enjoyed her families story in general (at least in the original, Ultra kind of ruins it by throwing it to the side to give Necrozma screen time and hurts the climax of that story arc in the process). It was oddly dark if you consider it, dealing with what could be pretty easily called child abuse, and Lillie's arc, with her maturing without her mother around was heartwarming. Great stuff for Pokemon.

I also found it interesting they made her seemingly slightly older than the player character judging by her height.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
2B from Nier: Automata. Not for the character alone, but for her role in a deeply engaging existentialist sci-fi story with serious emotional punch. I love her English voice too.

Oct 27, 2017
The many and varied cast of VA-11 HALL-A

header74j9a.jpg
As some others have said, Senua from Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice is worth mentioning. Easily one of my, if not my actual, favorite female characters in a game this gen. The game itself may have issues (mostly in gameplay) but her character and her story both grew on me and I needed to see where it would go. Her journey is personal and her VA delivers on all fronts. Not since Elizabeth (Bioshock: Infinite) have I felt actual emotion behind the acting. Senua is simply just that good.

giphy.gif

I knew I was missing something. Both of these games have some of the best characters this gen.

I also forgot to mention A2 now that I look at my post again...

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's between Max from Life Is Strange, Sadie from Red Dead Redemption 2 and Kara from Detroit.

I think I'll go with Max though as she's the most indepth by a long way. Though it must be said Before the Storm makes her out to be a pretty horrible person.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
... It might be Magilou from Tales of Berseria? I'm kinda surprising myself with that answer, especially since she isn't exactly a new thing for the franchise (nearly every game features a somewhat unhinged and abusive mage outcast (who is actually putting up a front to hide serious shit from the past)), but she had absurdly good chemistry with everyone else and was consistently hilarious for over 50 hours.

Also sorta counts since it released in 2014, but I absolutely adore Lucatiel from Dark Souls 2 (she's easily my favourite part of the entire game).

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
Yennefer is the first that comes to my mind. Those times her and Geralt are at a party or investigating something are so damn entertaining and she has that mentality that she is powerful and doesn't care if people don't like her she is gonna help Ciri in any way she can. Powerful and witty but also soft and motherly.

Meve is also a great one recently but I haven't finished Thronebreaker yet.

Dec 12, 2017
Aloy was a really great character. She never played up being female, and the writing didn't feel like they had shoehorned a female character into a game merely for representation. The mother-daughter dynamics in the story were only possible if the lead character was female, and it was fantastic.

I also appreciate how the developers made me realize things about being female that as a dude I would never consider, like how every guy near your age in the game is constantly hitting on you or trying to impress you.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
What I really appreciated about some of the female characters I encountered this gen was that when the writers had the courage to paint them as something else than helpful support for the lead or "badass", "best girl".

Characters like Yennefer, Chloe and Mae have a temper, and they're not afraid to complain, get in the hero's face and sometimes put them in their place (Yennefer's an absolute queen for that) ; that shows a different facet of their personality and vulnerability. Hell they can even be assholes sometimes. But that's exactly what I love about them, because who isn't sometimes ? That just makes them human.

I suppose most writers don't want to take the risk that some players won't respond well to that (that sure happened for Chloe and Yennefer), but it's a risk worth taking. I'm glad we're moving over the "badass female character" step, because there's so much more to discover beyond that.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Pokemon Lillie? I don't think I've ever seen someone praise her but I agree, actually. I enjoyed her families story in general (at least in the original, Ultra kind of ruins it by throwing it to the side to give Necrozma screen time and hurts the climax of that story arc in the process). It was oddly dark if you consider it, dealing with what could be pretty easily called child abuse, and Lillie's arc, with her maturing without her mother around was heartwarming. Great stuff for Pokemon.

I also found it interesting they made her seemingly slightly older than the player character judging by her height.
Yep yep yep she was just amazing. The scene in Exeggutor island where she opens up to the player and talks about when she was little is such a sweet moment.

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
latest

Elma has a great design and an interesting personality, and yet so mysterious for being the main protagonist. It would be a shame to not get a sequel to Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I finally know where your Avatar comes from since I started the VN myself lol. Gosh, I hope Valve let's Neknyansoft put more stuff on Steam. :/
The game is great. I can't stop laughing at that original scene of my avatar haha. I have been playing Riddle Joker lately, which is Yuzusoft latest title. It is not as fun as Sanoba Witch, but it is still good stuff. Neknyansoft is doing a great job in bringing more moege to the west, like those from SMEE which are good as far as I know. Hopefully they have luck on publishing on steam.
People who have a problem with late game Nia are weird.
Late game Nia is the best. Not posting her pic though for obvious reason.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Yennefer and Ciri are Top Tier characters but they come from the books so it's cheating a bit.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I only played a little of Horizon but with so many things doing action heroines becoming the hero by enduring psychological or physical trauma (usually both), I really appreciate Aloy's big establishing moment involving her singlehandedly saving someone's life.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
Plus she doesn't even look like the art in the OP lol. This is how she looks actually and compare that to the art in OP which is a fan art. And people are probably a fan of that instead of the character herself since there is not much of a character there.

WFmBTY8_d.jpg
Awesome design. And you learn about her past and sacrifices if you delve into the lore.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I like the Night in the Woods characters because they felt more like real people (despite having animal faces). Madeline from Celeste could have been as good but I really didn't like how they handled mental illness.

Lillie from Pokemon is one of the worst written I think ive seen from a Pokemon game, and that's not a high bar. Fuck everything about trying to preach to the player about Pokemon not being objectified in a game entirely where that's a core feature thats always, always encouraged heavily. She never even helps you with doubles battles or anything by the end and is just a constant interruption.