• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Very controversial, I like the Demon's Souls remake more than Elden Ring.
I prefer the more focused levels and more simplistic gear leveling. And I prefer the lore.
That doesn't mean I think all of DeS is flawless, there are some bosses and areas I don't care for, but the early game stuff is amazing to me.

Plus I'm a graphics whore these days. I love the atmosphere and lighting of DeS. Again, not saying ER looks bad, I just really like the look of DeS, it blew me away when I got my ps5.

As mentioned already though, It's ok to like both, jeesh some ER threads bringing up enjoying old games is just taboo. ER is the pinnacle of all FS gaming, and no one should ever prefer the older games, ok I get it. Era in a nutshell, no one should be allowed to like things unless it coincides with what everyone else likes.

Also, For Honor is still the best weapon combat fighting game hands down.

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I don't think this is controversial outside of Era but

Both NieR games are good, you dolts. Yes you can like Gestalt/Replicant more but jesus you don't need to shit on Automata every single time it's brought up

Both games have stuff they do better than the other, and both have very different philosophies/messages outside of some similar plot beats

The constant need to put Automata down at every chance some OG fans display *really* puts me off from interacting with the fanbase at times

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I prefer the more focused levels and more simplistic gear leveling. And I prefer the lore.
That doesn't mean I think all of DeS is flawless, there are some bosses and areas I don't care for, but the early game stuff is amazing to me.

Plus I'm a graphics whore these days. I love the atmosphere and lighting of DeS. Again, not saying ER looks bad, I just really like the look of DeS, it blew me away when I got my ps5.

As mentioned already though, It's ok to like both, jeesh some ER threads bringing up enjoying old games is just taboo. ER is the pinnacle of all FS gaming, and no one should ever prefer the older games, ok I get it. Era in a nutshell, no one should be allowed to like things unless it coincides with what everyone else likes.

Demon's Souls is my favorite From game, with Bloodborne at second.

ER is a solid fifth place.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
those meme GIFs Sony studios make for their big releases are so awful

the Antonio Banderas Joel was hilarious but every one afterwards is really lame

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Elden Ring is not a good game and there should be a ban on anymore threads about it because the 20 billion we already have is more than enough.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
Elden Ring is not a good game and there should be a ban on anymore threads about it because the 20 billion we already have is more than enough.
What don't you like about it? I think better said from your POV is that you don't necessarily like it, rather than calling it a bad game.

My personal hot take: I think that Nintendo should design their switch successor to be bulkier (but not as heavy as the deck) so that way we could get better graphics parity.

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
Criticizing a game because it's a waste of your time is about them dumbest criticism there is, fuck your time.

Being a little exageratory but holy shit do i hate it.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017

I'm a pretty big souls fan, but my god the worst time on this forum and the old place was near, during and after the launch of a FROM game.

Just an unending stream of topics.

There ends up being hundreds with a variation of this title:

New to souls! Tell me exactly how to play

Then all the others that show up.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I actually think it's a little concerning how little the industry got impacted by COVID, when it's all said and done. Yeah some games got delayed, but to me at least, there wasn't a notable shift in the quantity of releases on a year-to-year basis, and we still got shit like three different Pokemon games from 2021-2022, a game as ambitious as Elden Ring, a new Metroid game, a new Resident Evil game, a new Monster Hunter game, a new Forza, etc. These games had to have had huge sacrifices behind them and I'm imagining artists and programmers collaborating on Zoom long into the night while isolated from the outside world, trying to deal with the technical difficulties of remote work on top of already working on incredibly ambitious projects.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Criticizing a game because it's a waste of your time is about them dumbest criticism there is, fuck your time.

I hear what you're trying to say.

People get older and they get new priorities so they have less time to play games but still want the games to give them, in their limited window, what they used to get when they could sit down for eight hours straight.

That's not really the game's fault.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

Preach. Look where you are complaining about it, your time is nowhere as valuable as you believe it is. And if you're a RESPONSIBLE ADULT with RESPONSABILITIES and JOBS and KIDS like everyone else (really, stop using this as an argument, you're not special) then you're also old enough to properly manage your free time. Nobody is adding sidequests just to purposefully ruin your PRECIOUS time. Nobody is 'disrespecting' you because there's "bloat" and "grind" in your eyes. Get a grip.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
On the subject of games "Wasting my time" I'd rather deal with spending hours collecting boxes and crafting materials that I know are going to lead to a defined upgrade progression like in Assassin's Creed or Horizon and other general bloated games. Instead of spend hours running through the same, different, but the same, randomly generated dungeon/ biome praying that this time, maybe, hopefully that the RNG will give me items that synergize enough to let me get by in Rouge likes.

Deleted member 110527

Mar 11, 2022
Plus I'm a graphics whore these days.

Yes, I've got to agree with this... I find that the older I get, the more I'm legitimately further immersed into a game due to the visual presentation, and it generally will be a huge factor to my enjoyment of a game nowadays. It isn't the only thing, mind you, but I weight it much more heavily in my personal assessment of time spent with a game than I did back when I was just playing Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight mods as a kid, haha

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Some titles definitely don't respect your time though.

Like, I'm playing Mafia 3 now and it's been a mostly fun experience. But here's a game system that exists:
  1. You can't see collectibles or enemies on your map/radar until you wiretap a box in the area (Ubisoft towers essentially). You also can't recruit racket bosses without tapping the box in their area.
  2. You can't wiretap a box unless you have three components to make the tap device.
    1. Components are only ever looted as single items.
  3. Once you have the components, you have to break the lock on the box, which is a two-step process:
    1. First, you gently align your thumbstick to the optimal angle on a circle
    2. Second, you press X when a metronome falls into the green zone (and the size of the zone is set by how close you got in step 1)
There's literally nothing fun here for this, at all. I'm fine with the boxes (bonus hot take: Ubisoft towers are good design, they clean up your map so you only see things you want to as you move into a region). But none of the "gameplay" to get a box flipped on is anything other than a timesink. I think if I timed myself running to collect 3 components, running back to the box, and then doing the lock-break process, it would be about 3-8 minutes (depending on your luck in finding the components). There are over 90 of those boxes, so you're looking at an insane amount of time spent on doing a completely pointless task.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
Some titles definitely don't respect your time though.

Like, I'm playing Mafia 3 now and it's been a mostly fun experience. But here's a game system that exists:
  1. You can't see collectibles or enemies on your map/radar until you wiretap a box in the area (Ubisoft towers essentially). You also can't recruit racket bosses without tapping the box in their area.
  2. You can't wiretap a box unless you have three components to make the tap device.
    1. Components are only ever looted as single items.
  3. Once you have the components, you have to break the lock on the box, which is a two-step process:
    1. First, you gently align your thumbstick to the optimal angle on a circle
    2. Second, you press X when a metronome falls into the green zone (and the size of the zone is set by how close you got in step 1)
There's literally nothing fun here for this, at all. I'm fine with the boxes (bonus hot take: Ubisoft towers are good design, they clean up your map so you only see things you want to as you move into a region). But none of the "gameplay" to get a box flipped on is anything other than a timesink. I think if I timed myself running to collect 3 components, running back to the box, and then doing the lock-break process, it would be about 3-8 minutes (depending on your luck in finding the components). There are over 90 of those boxes, so you're looking at an insane amount of time spent on doing a completely pointless task.

Does FF7 not respect your time because of Fort Kondor? Does Skyrim not respect your time because of lockpicking minigames? Does Myst not respect your time because you cant just hoard all the pages at once? They might not be fun, but its not the company purposefully setting up to waste YOUR valuable time you could be posting about it on resetera. Games can have unfun parts, its not a conspiracy, the devs just didnt get all the parts of their game right according to your taste. In Myst case for instance, the game is already short enough with you being able to only carry one page, and you're supposed to go back, put it in the book and listen to the message, one at a time, so you can better figure it out how the brothers are trying to trick you. If you could just put every page under your arm and listen to everything at once at the end of the game it would break the design of the game. You might not think that's fun and thats your prerrogative, but it wasnt Cyan fucking with your time or disrespecting you.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland

Not controversial... Elden Ring is great but I think I prefer Demon's Souls (remake), Bloodborne and Sekiro to it. Elden Ring feels like I'm playing "Dark Souls 4" essentially... not that that's a bad thing - I like the Dark Souls trilogy... but Elden Ring is "Big Dark Souls" with a lot of great decisions regarding its approach to Open World design. However overall, Elden Ring is somewhere in the middle for me.

Oct 27, 2017

Dunno if it's super controversial, but I completely agree with you as it happens.

I platinum-ed Elden Ring and I thoroughly enjoyed it, but after reflecting on it for the last few days, Elden Ring feels like a classic case of quantity over quality. It's endgame is utterly dire, the game's balance is all over the place, and the repetition and asset re-use is off the scale.

The comments about it redefining the open world genre feel weird as fuck to me too, given it pretty much replicates what Skyrim was doing many moons ago.

Demon's Souls Remake on the other hand is fucking magical and I adore it.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Preach. Look where you are complaining about it, your time is nowhere as valuable as you believe it is. And if you're a RESPONSIBLE ADULT with RESPONSABILITIES and JOBS and KIDS like everyone else (really, stop using this as an argument, you're not special) then you're also old enough to properly manage your free time. Nobody is adding sidequests just to purposefully ruin your PRECIOUS time. Nobody is 'disrespecting' you because there's "bloat" and "grind" in your eyes. Get a grip.
Nah, browsing Era is more fun than padding in a game with bad pacing/excessive grinding. Even if you have 10 hours a day to play games, it'd be wasteful to spend any amount of time on pointless grind.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Does FF7 not respect your time because of Fort Kondor? Does Skyrim not respect your time because of lockpicking minigames? Does Myst not respect your time because you cant just hoard all the pages at once? They might not be fun, but its not the company purposefully setting up to waste YOUR valuable time you could be posting about it on resetera. Games can have unfun parts, its not a conspiracy, the devs just didnt get all the parts of their game right according to your taste. In Myst case for instance, the game is already short enough with you being able to only carry one page, and you're supposed to go back, put it in the book and listen to the message, one at a time, so you can better figure it out how the brothers are trying to trick you. If you could just put every page under your arm and listen to everything at once at the end of the game it would break the design of the game. You might not think that's fun and thats your prerrogative, but it wasnt Cyan fucking with your time or disrespecting you.

All of your examples involve core gameplay of the series in question.

What I'm talking about is completely extraneous. Basically nothing about the system in question in Mafia 3 relates to anything else in the game, from a narrative perspective and a gameplay perspective. You don't earn in-game items when you tap a box, you can't use the lootable components for anything other than tapping a box, and the lockbreaking mini game only applies to a few locked doors (not safes or lockboxes with money, you just hit X to open them).

Conspiracy is a strong word. But I do think it's intentional padding. Mafia 2 got criticism for being too short and they went overboard trying to avoid that with Mafia 3. I would be surprised if even a single dev thought the game was better for having most of this system.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
Nah, browsing Era is more fun than padding in a game with bad pacing/excessive grinding. Even if you have 10 hours a day to play games, it'd be wasteful to spend any amount of time on pointless grind.

I have a lot of adjectives to describe browsing Era and "fun" is pretty low on that list

All of your examples involve core gameplay of the series in question.

What I'm talking about is completely extraneous. Basically nothing about the system in question in Mafia 3 relates to anything else in the game, from a narrative perspective and a gameplay perspective. You don't earn in-game items when you tap a box, you can't use the lootable components for anything other than tapping a box, and the lockbreaking mini game only applies to a few locked doors (not safes or lockboxes with money, you just hit X to open them).

Conspiracy is a strong word. But I do think it's intentional padding. Mafia 2 got criticism for being too short and they went overboard trying to avoid that with Mafia 3. I would be surprised if even a single dev thought the game was better for having most of this system.

I can't speak for Mafia 3 since i havent played it so i'll take your word for it, but i was commenting on your overall statement of games "wasting your time" because experience taught me that 9 out of 10 of the complaints people have about "bloat" here is just gameplay elements they don't like/care about.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
I don't think this is controversial outside of Era but

Both NieR games are good, you dolts. Yes you can like Gestalt/Replicant more but jesus you don't need to shit on Automata every single time it's brought up

Both games have stuff they do better than the other, and both have very different philosophies/messages outside of some similar plot beats

The constant need to put Automata down at every chance some OG fans display *really* puts me off from interacting with the fanbase at times
I've read more people saying Nier Gestalt is a terrible game despite the story and meta stuff than someone saying Automata was bad.

I didn't play Gestalt, just Replicant, and both were good IMO, despite Nier's insistence in trying to make me not have fun playing.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
there is no such thing as a game not respecting your time. Its a videogame, if you feel like your time is being wasted just... walk away from it? Its not the game not respecting your time, its you - if you choose to continue playing something you don't enjoy, well... that's all on you.

i also dont understand the obsession some people seem to have with wanting to clear all side content in an open world game. Why? I am fairly sure a lot of the ubisoft type open world games are not even designed to be fully cleared, its only if you really really happen to enjoy the game. But lots of people here pretend that its some required thing to do. I feel like a lot of people here would enjoy open world games more if they let go of the completionist mindset.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
I like elden ring but 80 hours in, the games cracks are showing more and more.

What I dislike:
-Horse combat is fucking awful
-Clipping where enemies hit you when you're behind walls
-repeating boss or lazy changes to make it harder aka 2 of the same boss
-Input delay is huge on PlayStation, for example on a horse and sprinting and want to jump and the game is delayed and takes a few seconds to register
-dungeons could use more variety
- better matchmaking the amount of disconnects is wild
I still think it's a solid 8.5-9/10 but it's too long and could use some trimming or variety changes.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
there is no such thing as a game not respecting your time. Its a videogame, if you feel like your time is being wasted just... walk away from it? Its not the game not respecting your time, its you - if you choose to continue playing something you don't enjoy, well... that's all on you.

i also dont understand the obsession some people seem to have with wanting to clear all side content in an open world game. Why? I am fairly sure a lot of the ubisoft type open world games are not even designed to be fully cleared, its only if you really really happen to enjoy the game. But lots of people here pretend that its some required thing to do. I feel like a lot of people here would enjoy open world games more if they let go of the completionist mindset.

I kind of agree with this.

When you fire up any random title you're entering a contract to engage with its terms, and those T&C are going to vary from person to person.

I'm personally a bit of a nut for Mundane Job Simulators. Everything from Farming Simulator & Euro Truck Simulator to Viscera Cleanup Detail & PowerWash Simulator. These titles are the very definition of time sinks. From a certain perspective one could even argue tedious time sinks.

But that's what I'm there for. The Zen-like gameplay loops that I often find more therapeutic than a therapy session.

So to branch out if a game is "not respecting a players time" either through slow progress or filler-content, that's on the player who willingly chose to engage with the title itself or it's respective irritable content.

Also one man's garbage is another man's treasure when considering content bloat. Some people are younger and/or have limited funds, so a title that offers dozens of hours worth of side content could be considered a boon.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Intellectually I can respect the skill and dedication involved, but I've never been moved by or interested in Speed Running. It runs counter to my relationship with games, which looks to understand what mechanics & design are trying to communicate, not rip them apart at the seams and exploit/manipulate them to finish something as quickly as possible.

Somewhere in the back of my mind the Ryan Reynolds, "But Why" GIF plays on an endless loop whenever I'm confronted with one.

King Tubby

Oct 25, 2017
For me a game not respecting my time is making routine actions unnecessarily slow, or making me do busywork that isn't compelling. If I'm going to be pressing the A button to harvest things 1000 times in your game, please don't make me stop and watch a 2 second animation each time. Don't make me spend 5 minutes farming materials to craft certain items if it's trivial to do so and just waste of time. At that point I'd rather cheat or install a mod that lets me skip the boring parts. It's like getting hours of my life back preemptively.

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
Probably only controversial on Era: Red Dead Redemption 2 is a truly great game. One of the high points of video games as a medium, in fact.

Elden Ring just made me want to play Bloodborne and Sekiro again. It's Dark Souls XL size, which is fine. Just not for me. I have no one to blame but myself. I knew going in that I don't enjoy medieval-ish settings and didn't like the slow Dark Souls combat before, but I thought I'd give it a try anyway. I may go back to it, but my experience with the game was more annoying than anything else. It sure does look nice though!

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Intellectually I can respect the skill and dedication involved, but I've never been moved by or interested in Speed Running. It runs counter to my relationship with games, which looks to understand what mechanics & design are trying to communicate, not rip them apart at the seams and exploit/manipulate them to finish something as quickly as possible.

Somewhere in the back of my mind the Ryan Reynolds, "But Why" GIF plays on an endless loop whenever I'm confronted with one.
this is me too. I see "OOT full game 7 minute speedrunning!" and it's just someone glitching through a wall to get to the end or something… I don't really get the appeal 😂

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
FromSoftware is mediocre at best when it comes to the technical aspect and coding of their games. Since the original release of DeS up to ER, they demonstrated over and over again that they either don't give a shit how their games run or they are completely incompetent in game engine development and optimization.

Bengraven