• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I'm not sure. "Hey games got bigger and look prettier." 2004 seems like a weird cutoff.

oliverandm

Nov 13, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
Ghost of Tsushima, Red Dead Redemption 2, or The Last of Us Part II.

I mean, I never considered how generational leaps could introduce new forms of game design, so I would always deem power by graphics alone. Ghost of Tsushima completely realized my samurai-fantasy as a kid. RDR2 and TLoU2 are pretty amazing in their own right, and I figured all those games would make me lose my mind if I saw them as a kid.

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
I'm legitimately jealous of the kids who get to experience Spider-Man. Would've been a dream game for me as a kid.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
I haven't played Half-Life: Alyx yet, I'm sure if I had I would pick that (though I only played the HL2 demo in 2004, didn't finish the actual game until 2011).

So I would maybe pick Robo Recall from games I've actually played. That moment in the opening when all the robots turn to look at you blew my mind on my Rift CV1 when I first played it in 2017. I haven't played it that much since, with Beat Saber definitely being the game I've spent most VR time in, but in terms of what I imagined the future of gaming to be, that is pretty much it. I love Rez Infinite but I didn't play the original Rez until 2007, so it wouldn't have as much impact as showing 2007 me.

For non-VR, maybe Yakuza Kiwami 2? I prefer 0 as a game but being able to go indoors/outdoors without loading would have blown my mind, along with the fidelity of the character models and the wealth of minigames. I was also really into stealth games at the time because of Splinter Cell, so as a runner-up maybe Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (I always play these games going the stealth route)?

I wouldn't show him Shenmue III, I'd let him keep dreaming.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
I didn't think about VR so I would say Skyrim VR, Resident Evil 7, or Astro Bot maybe.

For non-VR, I think something like Resident Evil 2 remake, Final Fantasy VII Remake, or Shenmue 3 to know these games actually happened eventually.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic Mania 100%

I was really into learning more about the Genesis Sonics then and being excited for Sonic Heroes as a teenager lol........

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Most of the 'big returns' like Shenmue III, Crash 4, Streets of Rage 4, Street Fighter IV and Sonic Mania probably would not be that big of a deal to me because I fully expected games like this to continue back then and probably would not recognize how significant they seem when I spend half of my life waiting for them.

I guess Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis. That would have especially floored me.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Doom Eternal
GTA V
RDR2
AC Oddyssey
Pokemon

And just for the sake of it, AoEII DE and I DE, my kid self would explode with it

WelshBluebird

Jul 22, 2020
Absolutely something VR related.
Whilst things like TLoU2 etc are awesome to look at graphically, I think even back in 2004 we kind of could see the future direction of ever more realistic graphics.
What I don't think we saw are totally immersive VR experiences like HL:Alyx or Beatsaber etc.

OmniStrife

Dec 11, 2017
TsBhaWj.jpg

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Just look at what kind of games we have in the 2020s!

Not even kidding. I'm honestly impressed that there are a lot of retro revivals, 2D pixel art games, and retro inspired games these days.

Oct 25, 2017
Breath of the Wild. I was a huge fan of (most of) the 86-00 Zelda games, then after that the series began to suffer from rushed, uninspired or simply drab or garish looking releases. I would have loved to have shown my 2004 self that the best was yet to come much later. I also would have gotten a kick of knowing an excellent sequel to my most played Zelda game, Link to the Past, was coming as well.

Mr. Gold

Jul 1, 2019
Yup. I'd say: "you know that zelda you've been waiting, it's this one and it'll only come out after the one you hate most"

I kinda have a love-hate relationship with Zelda. Two games I absolutely loved, Horizon & Spider-Man, where impacted negatively after playing BOTW. After the joy of swinging off, Spider-Man effectively became a linear single player game for me. Horizon needed a climbing mechanic badly.

Someone else said this earlier but BOTW was a front loaded open world game. I think that's the magic. Spider-Man was great like that too, but it was mostly pointless swinging after the nth time.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
OP got my answer with TLOU2. My 2004 self would shit his pants at how amazing it looks and plays.

OP
OP
Mindfreak191

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
For those curious about my choice of 2004, while it's mostly cause I was hyped as shit for TESIV it's also kinda like a turning point for me personally in how I perceived games, until then I only cared about playing, during that year I actually started reding previews and reviews. Couldn't pick any earlier year because I didn't care that much prior to that lol

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
Destiny 2 visuals would blow my 2004 selfs mind away. Also mk11 just to see the jump from deadly alliance/deception to that.

beatoangelico

Sep 9, 2019
I guess nothing really? My pick would have been "impressive open worlds" but by 2004 they were already in place (Morrowind, which is arguably still better than many current games, and GTA, which has improved over the years but not by much)

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Half-Life: Alyx, Sea of Thieves (I was invested in a mod called Battlefield: Pirates at the time), Doom Eternal, and Red Dead Redemption 2 (PC)

Aswitch

"This guy are sick"
Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Smash Ultimate would've made me lose my shit. FF7R being very close, but in my headcannon I thought it was going to happen at some point.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Celeste, 2004 me was close to when I had my mental breakdown and attempted suicide (which happened in 2005), Celeste's narrative would have helped teenage me a lot.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Not much. In a way I'm still kind of waiting for something as revolutionary and mind blowing as Half-Life 2 which released in '04. In that sense we're still kind of in the era that started back then.

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
Max Payne 3

In 2003 I remember thinking that Max Payne 2 was the best 3rd person action game of all time.

I would have shit myself if I saw this

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
Demon Souls (or any souls game, but it's the first and technically the remake makes it the most recent too), because it counters my worries from back then that games like that wouldn't exist in the future.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine showing this video to like, Microsoft's Xbox Live team circa 2004 and describing the context behind everything in it.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Probably Jurassic World Evolution as I was always playing Operation Genesis. Also would dare not mention the fate of the SOCOM series.

This is Cow Mengde from late 2021 traveling back in time to tell you not to do that. You should instead show your younger self Prehistoric Kingdom.

This game is in alpha stage, and it's already shaping up to embarrass JWE. There are so many options and ways to customize and design your park.

Your younger self will thank me as well.

Nov 4, 2017
This is Cow Mengde from late 2021 traveling back in time to tell you not to do that. You should instead show your younger self Prehistoric Kingdom.

This game is in alpha stage, and it's already shaping up to embarrass JWE. There are so many options and ways to customize and design your park.

This is present day me thanking you. I'm the biggest dinosaur nerd I know, and I was not aware of this game. I need this in my life.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I'm going to show myself Disco Elysium and convince him that choose-your-own-adventure with meaningful choices and spectacular dialogue is the wave of the future, having been super popular for years and culminating in this magnum opus.

I'm going to be so freaking disappointed, I can't wait.

Mattersnotnow

Jan 15, 2018
I was torn between BotW and FFVIIR

And I think VIIR would have the bigger impact and I would feel less spoiled as when it eventually came out

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
Red Dead 2 or Smash Ultimate are probably the right answers for myself but if I wanted to take things a step further showing myself Factorio would have been really interesting.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
This is present day me thanking you. I'm the biggest dinosaur nerd I know, and I was not aware of this game. I need this in my life.

Check this thread that I've been updating.

www.resetera.com

Indie Dinosaur Park Builder: Prehistoric Kingdom Dev Blogs.

I finally have to time to create this. It's a thread with all the progress as well as links to older blog posts for people new to this to see all the progress they made. I'm just going to post quick snippets and recaps from the blog. There are a lot more to see and read in the actual link. So...

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
89819650.jpg

Probably the Ratchet and Clank remake. It's pretty amazing how much better that game looks like then even prerendered films from that time period.

For the record, the state-of-the-art in CGI graphics in 2004 looked like this:

incredibles-disneyscreencaps.com-4321.jpg

incredibles-disneyscreencaps.com-11718.jpg

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The Last of Us 2.
It has everything that I want to show myself in 2004. From amazing storytelling and outstanding graphics to a gameplay much better than 2004 TPS standards.
But he should play first one before that.
Red Dead Redemption 2 is an amazing choice too. It blew my mind in 2018, let alone 2004!

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Hey, you were a bit disappointed with Wind Waker? Boy have I got the game for you..."

CheeseConey

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah ive been following this game too. Still really enjoyed Evolution, took off work for it when it came out and played it for like 3 days straight lol Its improved a lot since launch too. Hoping they announce the sequel soon. But yeah, definitely excited for Prehistoric Kingdom.