• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SecretCharacter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado Springs, CO
I got this at work the other day from somebody. I'm getting over a head cold right now and I'm Korean. I coughed around somebody and they said "Hey man, don't get me with that Corona virus."

He said it jokingly, but if it was a white guy, I doubt the same comment would have been made.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
My gf is Chinese Canadian, never been to China, and I've noticed that when we've gone out since this shit started, people seem to do a double take or try to be more cautious when she's around. Even at her work, she works as an outreach worker/early childhood program facilitator that serves new immigrant communities, she's the only Asian employee and she says clients that see her specifically are covering their faces. It's sickening

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Time to cough like a maniacal buffoon to scare everyone for shits and giggles, you dumb idiots, you.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I'm more scared of the privileged families and communities that choose not to vaccine their kids. I'm not trying to catch a stray in Whole Foods, while picking up some oat milk.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Earlier today, we went to our usual Thursday evening fallback plan tonight, a Chinese restaurant in Paris. The place was empty while there's usually a ton of customers, eating in or ordering takeaway dinners.

It never crossed my mind that people would be so fucking dumb and racist they'd avoid a Chinese restaurant in Paris, but here we are. Place was crowded last week at the exact same time.

Hesemonni

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you're Asian and need the space, just sneeze. Witnessed it today at the airport. Shit was hilarious.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
Be careful of the way that xenophobes are trying to capitalize on this for recruitment and radicalizing.

There was (is?) a subreddit about the Virus that was encouraging people to go to /pol/.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Is all this anti-Asian sentiment for real?
Seriously, what year is this?

Nevermind who am I kidding. Of course it is. Look at all the people who googled "Corona beer virus" in the last few days... 😑

EroticSushi

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's pretty bad. My friend who's over in Canada for work said he's been getting called out while going to & coming home from work these days. Getting yelled that he's Chinese (He's Korean) and people yelling fucked up things to him.

What the hell is wrong with people. A little fear and people show their true selves.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah it's pretty bad. My friend who's over in Canada for work said he's been getting called out while going to & coming home from work these days. Getting yelled that he's Chinese (He's Korean) and people yelling fucked up things to him.

What the hell is wrong with people. A little fear and people show their true selves.
Jesus that's bad.

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
User Banned (2 months): Conspiracy theories and excusing racism
I was watching Metokur Jim's stream about this and even on mainland China if anyone is from Wuan they get threatened or shit canned. One guy got booted out of a taxi. But yeah this was to be expected, every country will now treat Chinese like dirt.

On the other hand if those fun conspiracy threads are true China brought this on itself by constantly trying to steal tech

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I was watching Metokur Jim's stream about this and even on mainland China if anyone is from Wuan they get threatened or shit canned. One guy got booted out of a taxi. But yeah this was to be expected, every country will now treat Chinese like dirt.

On the other hand if those fun conspiracy threads are true China brought this on itself by constantly trying to steal tech
On the other hand, the Chinese state didn't bring it on all the Asian people suffering racism. Racists brought it on these people.

subrock

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
This is your election year reminder that countries and individuals are out there sowing division for personal and political gain. Don't fall for that shit

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
I got this at work the other day from somebody. I'm getting over a head cold right now and I'm Korean. I coughed around somebody and they said "Hey man, don't get me with that Corona virus."

He said it jokingly, but if it was a white guy, I doubt the same comment would have been made.
I'm white with asthma and got that comment after a coughing fit today.

I also hate any clearly sick people coming into my office (we get sick pay) or using public transport, although understand the later is often unavoidable. I'll get up and move if I have to long before this. That's not race related, I just want to avoid getting sick. My colleagues can shrug off a cold but if I catch it and it goes to my chest that's weeks before I'm back to 100%. I'm going to be real paranoid if this outbreak gets worse as it could effect me really badly.

Of course that's not the case in most of these examples, just an excuse to be racist. Not going to Chinese restaurants is particularly fucking stupid. As is the all Asians must now be Chinese. It's like the Sikhs that get racist abuse because dumbasses think they're Muslims.

Last edited:

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
There was a thread on this very website seperating Asia and Japan the same way a racist weeb with no knowledge of geography would 😁

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to say something snide about racists being the people in need of quarantine, but that isn't the cure for their condition either.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
There was a thread on this very website seperating Asia and Japan the same way a racist weeb with no knowledge of geography would 😁
Pretty sure I know what one you're talking about.

I saw some of the stuff posted in the main Coronavirus thread and felt it could be suspect, had to check with a friend of mine who's waylaid in Malaysia because of the outbreak to see if it was true. The Marco Rubio letter to Blizzard made me very cautious.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Pretty sure I know what one you're talking about.

I saw some of the stuff posted in the main Coronavirus thread and felt it could be suspect, had to check with a friend of mine who's waylaid in Malaysia because of the outbreak to see if it was true. The Marco Rubio letter to Blizzard made me very cautious.
I'm in Malaysia right now (and Thailand soon unless the situation gets worse) as well and people are living their lives, more masks on the streets of course but generally people are moving on just fine, it seems to be that westerners that are in the least danger of outbreaks are freaking out the most, here in Asia you don't really have a choice of doing so, you just have to continue living.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am Asian and am sick of all the racism against Asians that seem to be brushed under the table (no pun intended).

But for this, I don't blame people. People would act the same if it would be a virus from somewhere else.

Funny though how people are afraid on the ones wearing masks as they are the ones trying to stay safe and if they sneeze/cough, they would not spread it as much as others.

Zweizer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thread title was changed after some backlash but it seemed like an effort to seperate the dirty and disgusting Asian hordes with the prim and proper Japanese who are seemingly not Asian in the eyes of many westerners.

They're good Asians™. Always aligned with Western interests. Honorary Aryans™.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in Malaysia right now (and Thailand soon unless the situation gets worse) as well and people are living their lives, more masks on the streets of course but generally people are moving on just fine, it seems to be that westerners that are in the least danger of outbreaks are freaking out the most, here in Asia you don't really have a choice of doing so, you just have to continue living.
More speaking about the origins of the virus that I saw on here. My friend, at least from the messages, seems pretty calm about it. More annoyed that he's essentially a refugee on vacation than fear of it, he was supposed to return to his job in China last week.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What do you call it when people within China are spewing the exact same community based sentiments? What I've read until now has mainly been parts of China calling afflicted parts out.

Dec 24, 2017
I'm taking my M50 on the train tomorrow, cough violently, then casually pull it out of my bag and wear it for the duration of the commute.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
What do you call it when people within China are spewing the exact same community based sentiments? What I've read until now has mainly been parts of China calling afflicted parts out.
I can guarantee you that if a disease was well known to come from a specific state of America, you'd see the exact same regional tensions happening except now you'd be able to understand it because it's in English.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom

Fq6AZP5.gif

lmao might be tweet of the year so far

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We saw this (to a lesser extent) with the ebola scare back in 2014. Xenophobia towards black people skyrocketed, but that disease relatively being contained didn't let it reach critical mass. The cruelest part is that after this blows over, sentiments towards Asian people will (relatively) go back to normal and everyone will forget this, like they always do. But the victims and the people being thrown under the bus won't, and that's what infuriates me.

They deserve better than shameful ignorance and faux kindness.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
We saw this (to a lesser extent) with the ebola scare back in 2014. Xenophobia towards black people skyrocketed, but that disease relatively being contained didn't let it reach critical mass. The cruelest part is that after this blows over, sentiments towards Asian people will (relatively) go back to normal and everyone will forget this, like they always do. But the victims and the people being thrown under the bus won't, and that's what infuriates me.

They deserve better than shameful ignorance and faux kindness.

Republicans won those elections on the back of Ebola.