• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Other than SO Insomniac have always been bosom-buddies with Sony, makes a lot of sense for both, I am sure.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SO2 didn't seem likely either way, and historically they're a Sony studio basically. Makes a lot of sense for them. Would have liked them bought by MS but after Spiderman's success it seemed unlikely.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really great acquisition for Sony, already really strong existing relationship and they would probably be contracting them to make Spidermam and R&C for next gen anyway. Over to you Phil and Matt, lol.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Insomniac bought by Sony. So rip SO2. Missed change MS for a sequel.
Great get for Sony. Great for Insomniac.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Insomniac fully owns the Sunset Overdrive IP, so at this point it's a matter of whether Sony thinks the franchise has legs on Playstation. Microsoft may have some rights to refusal, but those could be negotiated around I'm sure.

Interesting move from Sony to just kind of... do that without a lot of fanfare. I kind of like it. It's a very different PR approach, but I kind of like it.

They do.
Sony buys studio with AAA hits capable of Delivering blockbusters Single player games. Meanwhile...

Microsoft buys a bunch of studios with no history of making great single player games, studios like Ninja Theory, Doublefine, Playground Games, Obsidian and InXile.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
They do.
Sony buys studio with AAA hits capable of Delivering blockbusters Single player games. Meanwhile...
This is what I don't understand. Phil keeps spending money on indie studios as if they'll help increase the xbox brand value but most people who aren't core gamers mostly care about AAA games that studios like Insomniac can deliver.

Phil is making a huge mistake by not going after AAA studios in my opinion. IO Interactive would be a great get for the Xbox if only Phil can stop his obsession of buying indie developers.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
They do.

Are we really going to start handwringing because Sony bought one studio? Seems an odd reaction.

To the acquisition itself, it always struck me as a when, not if. I think they're best matched with Sony, especially given their long history with them.

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
This is what I don't understand. Phil keeps spending money on indie studios as if they'll help increase the xbox brand value but most people who aren't core gamers mostly care about AAA games that studios like Insomniac can deliver.

Phil is making a huge mistake by not going after AAA studios in my opinion. IO Interactive would be a great get for the Xbox if only Phil can stop his obsession of buying indie developers.
Playground, Obsidian, and initiative are indie studios now weird.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
so people what did ya think of the Gears trailer...

source.gif

:/

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019

This is fairly off, I think. There is a clear mix of studios involved.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
just got some hot videos of gears 5 horde and campaign and people are already taking up a page with nonsense that doesnt relate to xbox at all?

gears 5 campaign is going to be so damn good on my X. 60fps in 4k. like whoa .. the trailer looked amazingly fun.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
Lol who cares how big the studios are? MS got a lot of great developers to join their ranks.

Oct 25, 2017

Obsidian, Playground, The Iniative are indie?

Lol who cares how big the studios are? MS got a lot of great developers to join their ranks.

yeah, what a weird thinking

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
This is fairly off, I think. There is a clear mix of studios involved.
I can understand some people saying that but when you look at the big picture I mostly see a bunch of indie devs joining Xbox Studios. Of course you can argue that Playground and Obsidian are AAA but Playground has only made games for the Xbox so far so it's not surprising that they joined the Xbox in 2018. I just think that the focus should be on getting AAA studios and not a bunch of smaller indie teams.

tbassett

Jan 8, 2019
Sony was bound to do something. Considering Microsoft has added nearly ten studios since last e3. Suspect Microsoft already is at least one addition coming for XO

Oct 27, 2017
I can understand some people saying that but when you look at the big picture I mostly see a bunch of indie devs joining Xbox Studios. Of course you can argue that Playground and Obsidian are AAA but Playground has only made games for the Xbox so far so it's not surprising that they joined the Xbox in 2018. I just think that the focus should be on getting AAA studios and not a bunch of smaller indie teams.
You do know that there aren't that many independent "AAA" studios out there right? Which is why, shocker I know, MS is building up the studios that they purchased

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
I guess insomniac isn't that big of deal since they only worked on really only one AAA Xbox game and the rest of the AAA development was for Sony.

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Insomniac being bought by Sony is comparable to the playground acquisition. Solid studio that was already pumping out games almost exclusively for MS/Sony.

The purchase only makes sense if insomniac was going to get bought by ms imo. Had to prevent that

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
Why you sound like they can't focus on both?
They even building their own new AAA studio.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
MS not good.
Steam price is the same as console and MS store stuff. 70 euro is not a good thing for new game where usually games are 60 euro there.
store.steampowered.com

Save 66% on Gears 5 on Steam

From one of gaming’s most acclaimed sagas, Gears is bigger than ever. With all-out war descending, Kait Diaz breaks away to uncover her connection to the enemy and discovers the true danger to Sera – herself.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
Insomniac being bought by Sony is comparable to the playground acquisition. Solid studio that was already pumping out games almost exclusively for MS/Sony.

The purchase only makes sense if insomniac was going to get bought by ms imo. Had to prevent that

This is a good point, actually. Sony may have had right of first refusal on a potential acquisition.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
I guess insomniac isn't that big of deal since they only worked on really only one AAA Xbox game and the rest of the AAA development was for Sony.
Had Sony been on an acquisition spree like the Xbox I guess not but they dont buy new studios that often.

Why you sound like they can't focus on both?
It's going to be difficult to have so many studios under one roof. That's why I would be very disappointed if the next acquisition that is announced for the Xbox is another indie dev. Hopefully they acquire IO interactive or some other well known dev with a valuable IP.

Oct 19, 2018
Seemed like a natural fit for Insomniac, they slide right into Sony's strategy. Will be interesting to see if they're the tip of the iceberg, and how any of their current projects are affected.

Gears 5 is looking great from the gifs yall have posted, dying to play at this point and I've taken off that Friday. I'll probably cave and watch that trailer in 4k tonight though...

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018

I don't think that actual data supports that claim. Most people seem to enjoy a nice mixture of big and smaller games. Also...

I don't get this. Microsoft have acquired a few smaller studios, but also a few that are perfectly capable of delivering so-called AAA games, and have in fact done so in the past. I don't see by which criteria IO Interactive (or Insomniac, for that matter) are more "AAA ready" than Playground, Ninja Theory, Obsidian or even Double Fine. All of them have worked on big budget, well received games with some of the world's biggest publishers.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
They do.

Microsoft and Sony have different strategies with their line-ups. If someone is looking for co-op and service games, microsoft is the clear choice. If you want AAA single player focused games, go Sony. Both will likely have a mixture of AA titles af various kinds, with Microsoft looking promising in the RPG category.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get this. Microsoft have acquired a few smaller studios, but also a few that are perfectly capable of delivering so-called AAA games, and have in fact done so in the past. I don't see by which criteria IO Interactive (or Insomniac, for that matter) are more "AAA ready" than Playground, Ninja Theory, Obsidian or even Double Fine. All of them have worked on big budget, well received games with some of the world's biggest publishers.
Well my criteria is basically two things. Having a team of 100+ people and a well established IP with millions of sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.