• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Those are all existing properties and I didnt refer to them. I'm talking about studios that Phil announced in the past year or two. I know that there are some exceptions but overall I fail to understand why the xbox would need to acquire inXile, Undead Labs, Compulsion Games or even Double Fine. But maybe Im looking at this the wrong way.

I realize this but I just consider the Hitman IP valuable enough to make them AAA. Also maybe the reason why MS hasn't acquired any major AAA studios is because there aren't that many around willing to be sold. As someone here has mentioned before.
Every studio out there has a price.

What we are seeing is industry consolidation, and the latest move by Sony is one of the best things that has happened in gaming in my opinion. They have gone out of their way to get one of the best developers that has predominantly made games on the PlayStation platform. This is what Microsoft did with Playground, and failed to do previously.

It should have been something that was expected. Sometimes the best moves that are done are the ones that deny others an opportunity to encroach into your domain.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy how Sony has instantly overshadowed everything at Gamescom with the acquisition of Insomniac.

Just insane.

MS should be on notice.

On notice that Sony purchased a studio who has historically made exclusive titles for Sony as well as one of Sony's largest games of the PS4 generation with Spiderman? This is the least surprising acquisition.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy how Sony has instantly overshadowed everything at Gamescom with the acquisition of Insomniac.

Just insane.

MS should be on notice.
No they don't need to, the only way MS "overshadowed" every others here will be something like closing 343i.
Remember how Scalebound went from some meh game with low popularity to best game ever being cancelled?

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
It's only crazy if you buy into this endless narrative bullshit that people seem to revel in here. MS are clearly moving in a world that sees Sony buying stuff, that is evident by their actions of the last year plus. This isn't a surprise to many, I warrant. The notice is for fans to get hyped up, yet again, more than anything else.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Well I mean an IP that the studio itself owns.

Then I'd say Ninja Theory at least fits your criteria as well Insomniac does. Hellblade has probably sold about as well as Sunset Overdrive. I don't think Pillars of Eternity has crossed a million, otherwise I'd say Obsidian too.

I think Sunset Overdrive is a pretty valuable IP, I'm definitely hoping that Insomniac releases a sequel. I really liked the first one.

Same, I'm hoping Sony doesn't just let it die out of not wanting to associate with an Xbox game, and also that if Xbox does have some right to refusal on a sequel they are willing to play ball and let Sony have it. Insomniac has expressed interest in the game before, it's just always been a matter of a publisher.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
By this logic no studio can ever improve even if given extra resources, time, and personnel.

This static focus on past achievements and current 'big studios' is necessarily one step behind the actual reality (we are not privvy to the internal developments and the future games, yet), but that doesn't mean we have to treat this dated data as a cast-iron guide to future matters. How else do studios grow, shrink, succeed and fail?
I think the problem, but actually a good thing from a creative standpoint, is that the studio is being given free reign to do what they want. If the studio is not under good management than that might pose a problem. Hopefully Matt Booty is giving creative freedom to studios within the umbrella that are performing well and keeping a close eye on studios like Compulsion Games who might struggle.
Same, I'm hoping Sony doesn't just let it die out of not wanting to associate with an Xbox game, and also that if Xbox does have some right to refusal on a sequel they are willing to play ball and let Sony have it. Insomniac has expressed interest in the game before, it's just always been a matter of a publisher.
Definitely, I hope so too. I don't think Phil will have a problem with Sony making a Sunset Overdrive sequel.

CalamityPixel

Oct 27, 2017
Big acqusition by Sony.

Gonna be interesting seeing Sony carrying on with Exclusives next gen while MS does the opposite.

I'm curious if Sony do bring some things to PC whether or not they could have some form of Xbox interaction via achievments or something.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
On notice that Sony purchased a studio who has historically made exclusive titles for Sony as well as one of Sony's largest games of the PS4 generation with Spiderman? This is the least surprising acquisition.

If anything I am surprised it took this long for the acquisition to happen. I suspect Sony did this to keep Insomniac away from Oculus and/or Google.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Don't get your hopes up too much.

Microsoft are interested in AA studios first and foremost.
There has to be some balance in what they are adding. It cannot all be AAA. This is something that has been shown in the way they have gone around their business. They got Playground, opened The Initiative and acquired Obsidian. Those were huge moves alongside getting Ninja Theory who have dabbled in the AAA space.

It is now about letting these studios grow into their element.
If anything I am surprised it took this long for the acquisition to happen. I suspect Sony did this to keep Insomniac away from Oculus and/or Google.
It is a dual purpose move. They keep them from Facebook/Google and they also get to keep one of their greatest partnerships away from Microsoft. It was such a great move by them.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Big acqusition by Sony.

Gonna be interesting seeing Sony carrying on with Exclusives next gen while MS does the opposite.

I'm curious if Sony do bring some things to PC whether or not they could have some form of Xbox interaction via achievments or something.

I don't think MS is doing 'the opposite', unless you mean 'console only' titles, which they are definitely not doing. Sony are making noises about broadening out somewhat also, and I doubt we will see Halo on Switch (almost a meme now!).

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
But the question is then, what other acquisitions will they have? We already know they aren't done yet.

Same goes for Sony, if there aren't many big name studios (independent) left, what will Sony acquire? Quantic Dream?
they can Get remedy and then they will have the Most powerfull studios in the industry while MS looking for Mid-Studios

Femto0

Banned
Apr 28, 2018
Gears 5 is looking better and better and lol at Sony announce Insomniac purchase with a random twitter in a random day

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
lmao

the doom and gloom in this thread because MS didn't acquire that studio that people wanted is so ridiculous sometimes
no it's not....

for me it's make sense that Sony go after them (Insomniac Just like Playground ) and they going after remedy too is not surprising after all they make SP games

roly82

Apr 2, 2019
IO Interactive? I would say Remedy but it seems clear that isn't happening.

Remedy or Dontnod, LiS 1 was huge, and it's coming a serie (about Max and Chloe I guess), even if the IP owner is SE they could do another hit, under the MS umbrella they could deliver great games really fast, at this moment they are running like 3-4 projects, that's a good amount, finishing LiS 2, Twin Mirror, starting Vampyr 2, and another secret partnership (Scarlett launch game I think).

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
Btw can anyone get in steam's Gears 5 community page? it seems being removed or something.
store.steampowered.com

Save 66% on Gears 5 on Steam

From one of gaming’s most acclaimed sagas, Gears is bigger than ever. With all-out war descending, Kait Diaz breaks away to uncover her connection to the enemy and discovers the true danger to Sera – herself.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
lmao

the doom and gloom in this thread because MS didn't acquire that studio that people wanted is so ridiculous sometimes

Well, he's not wrong entirely. While Remedy isn't the end all be all, it certainly would be yet another big addition to their studio lineup of AAA. While MS has PG as the big new addition, maybe Obsidian too?

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
So i guess some people only care about "big", doesn't matter about diversity now because Sony bought a big studio lol.
But not surprising, some people just want Microsoft...actually want every single company follow whatever Sony do.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
Btw can anyone get in steam's Gears 5 community page? it seems being removed or something.
store.steampowered.com

Save 66% on Gears 5 on Steam

From one of gaming’s most acclaimed sagas, Gears is bigger than ever. With all-out war descending, Kait Diaz breaks away to uncover her connection to the enemy and discovers the true danger to Sera – herself.
RELEASE DATE:
9 Sep, 2019!!

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
The idea that studios can develop and grow and improve is also significant. A big publisher doesn't necessarily buy a dev to get immediate return. obviously that can happen, but the notion that smaller teams can provide excellent experiences, and that other smaller teams can grow and develop, should not be discounted, nor be treated as a peculiar or radical idea, as is implied by the kneejerking in here (and nor should the stature of some of the studios MS has bought be ignored).

I ask again: where did any studio come from? Where was Guerilla before it made Horizon?

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
We've seen a lot of what they were already working on. And Bleeding Edge.
Not sure what you expect really. I mean Bleeding Edge was worked on also.
They acquired the first studio's a year ago. Studios dont sit still so they always have something in dev. They need to when they are indie. And also if they had nothing yet they wouldnt have something to show a year later.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure what you expect really. I mean Bleeding Edge was worked on also.
They acquired the first studio's a year ago. Studios dont sit still so they always have something in dev. They need to when they are indie. And also if they had nothing yet they wouldnt have something to show a year later.

It doesn't help that we've only seen one new project from one of the new studios that Microsoft acquired since they went on this buying spree. E3 2021 is going to be amazing though.

I used to say E3 2020 is going to be amazing but I've pushed it back to 2021.

kung-fu-owl

Alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2019

They should be on notice that Sony is also growing their first party organisation and that they may have competition for talent.

No they don't need to, the only way MS "overshadowed" every others here will be something like closing 343i.
Remember how Scalebound went from some meh game with low popularity to best game ever being cancelled?

Nah, Insomniac is a legit big deal acquisition.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
My only downer with the Insomniac deal is loosing a potential SO sequel. Loved that game and it's a shame that anything the might happen with the series is now locked to Sony. Ho Hum.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
They should be on notice that Sony is also growing their first party organisation and that they may have competition for talent.

Nah, Insomniac is a legit big deal acquisition.

I'd imagine MS were aware of Sony's moves to some extent, more so than us proles at least. Their own acquiring of studios isn't purely to expand, I am sure; it will also be to deny, even if that's a lesser motive. And Insomniac is a big deal, but in a strange sense it doesn't really change much.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Well, he's not wrong entirely. While Remedy isn't the end all be all, it certainly would be yet another big addition to their studio lineup of AAA. While MS has PG as the big new addition, maybe Obsidian too?

Remedy are one of my favourite studios (well, they used to be, I've grown a bit detached after the recent exclusivity bullshit), but what was the last truly successful game that they've made? Hint: Alan Wake only started selling well after it was offered for chips on Humble Bundle, and later on GOG and Steam.

Let's not be silly, Remedy would by no means be a more significant addition than some of the recent MS acquisitions.

Oct 27, 2017
lmao

It's not doom and gloom. It's the same 3 people who have just made it there existence to always complain in the thread whether it's gears marketing or the law of equivalent exchange being in place with Nintendo. And the occasional troll

Nov 23, 2018
Insomniac to Sony makes sense for both sides and doesn't really affect Xbox at all; most games were PlayStation exclusives anyway.

Xbox first-party has grown so much in just over a year. No one really knows what's being made exclusively for Xbox and, until that's known, there's going to be a sense of uncertainty. Xbox's plays have been for the future which is both good and bad. Fans need to have a lot of faith and want to see Phil and company make a few really big splashes. Xbox's future is all about whether or not game output can be high-quality and consistent - bottom line.

Oct 25, 2017

Obsidian is a near 200 person studio. Playground has two huge studios. The Iniative is a brand new AAA studio. The others are expanding, sure, not all will be AAA, but they are steadily boldering their delivery pipeline. There's also more coming, obviously, i doubt they would namedrop matt booty without a studio for X019.

He's right that there are few independent studios, he's wrong about "most powerful studios in the industry". Give me Double Fine over stuff like Days Gone any day of the week.

Also: I'm preeeeeeeeetty sure Obsidian is bigger than Remedy.

It's not doom and gloom. It's the same 3 people who have just made it there existence to always complain in the thread whether it's gears marketing or the law of equivalent exchange being in place with Nintendo. And the occasional troll

I mean, i complained about Gears marketing and didn't enjoy the SP trailer that we had today (although i loved Horde), hopefully i'm not amongst these people :P

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
I remember us having discussions about MS possibly going after Insomniac and people being against it citing Insomniac wanting their independence and thinking, "So? Buy them anyway" because something told me that much like BioWare and other teams/studios in the past, someone, Sony obviously, would swoop in and buy them and remove yet another high level quality studio when MS could've had them instead smh

This isn't a small time move. Insomniac is a great developer and would've been an excellent addition to the portfolio and now is just another missed opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.