• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Flight Sim is just an example of Microsofts commitment to Game Pass and PC + Console being a "unified" ecosystem for MS and Xbox moving forward. That's why I fully expect AoE4 to come to console eventually even if it's late like MSFS or Gears Tactics.

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit that gamer Flight Sim take.
"I'm a gamer" and I've put almost 30 hours into it since it's release.

Thank you MS for throwing peanuts at us while we wait for real games.
/s

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
As a gamer flight sim does nothing for me, yeah its great its on console but its so meh.

I get where you're coming from, we actually just had this discussion in Discord, but personally Flight Sim takes my what I love most about gaming (free form exploration & discovery, "immersion", the ability to make my own fun/ adventure) and literally gives me the world. The same part of my brain that was endlessly engaged by taking hikes, observing wildlife, and chasing storms in RDR2 is all but leaking out my ears playing Flight Sim.

While there is some loose structure availabe for those who are better onboarded that way, I absolutely love that the experience isn't bogged down with a ton of forced "game-y" elements, grinding, etc... More AAA/AAAA games should be like this.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
Flight Sim is amazing, and it's great to have something a bit different than the usual AAA releases.

The thing is, you should stay away from anything Xbox, really. Got spoiled on a non Halo Twitter thread (it was about the SSD expansion) and then I saw the same shit on a Game Pass tweet .

You definitely should mute everything Xbox till Infinite releases
Yea I might just stay here and maybe a few game specific thread.

Joo

May 25, 2018
so, those enjoying it are not gamers? 😒. This almost sounds like a troll post.
Next Xbox OT title right there.😆
I absolutely understand why you disagree, but this is so unnecessary. Just have a bit of respect and let him have his opinion. To try to clumsily belittle anyone with a differing opinion about something Xbox is hardly needed.
So yeah, Game Pass does need the big flashy blockbusters, but they also want to appeal to as many audiences as possible, and they want to introduce more people to those niche games and maybe make more dedicated fans.
I agree. FS is not a big blockbuster. It's a niche game made for a very specific crowd, but it's also a very good one. Even though I probably wouldn't play it for long, I sure as hell would like to try it for the visuals alone. Maybe I'd end up enjoying it more than I anticipate, who knows, but a variety of new genres to try is definitely a big advantage for GP.

Oct 12, 2020
I absolutely understand why you disagree, but this is so unnecessary. Just have a bit of respect and let him have his opinion. To try to clumsily belittle anyone with a differing opinion about something Xbox is hardly needed.

I agree. FS is not a big blockbuster. It's a niche game made for a very specific crowd, but it's also a very good one. Even though I probably wouldn't play it for long, I sure as hell would like to try it for the visuals alone. Maybe I'd end up enjoying it more than I anticipate, who knows, but a variety of new genres to try is definitely a big advantage for GP.

Sorry, but that take was cringeworthy enough to merit the reaction it got. To say you don't like a game, sure. But to suggest that "real gamers" don't, or shouldn't like it is garbage.

And until we get some sort of numbers of it's engagement on Xbox we won't know this for sure but I think Flight Sim may be a stealth blockbuster for Xbox on consoles. Seeing all sorts of people falling in love with it having never tried Flight Sim before. I know a bunch of my friends have unexpectedly become as addicted as I have.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Idk why y'all feeling pressed, calling somebody a Gamer is maybe the most vicious insult I can think of.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
pro-tip, use "as a player" instead of "as a gamer" when you're talking about personal taste. Flight Sim is an awesome game, but doesn't interest me as a player.

And for everyone piling on, reread that post as "as a player" and see if you're still mad abou it.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Jez Corden - inXile's new RPG is codenamed Project Cobalt
https://youtu.be/FcwZRfgAHpg - 2:38:05
It's a steampunk RPG, which inXile themselves teased would be first person earlier this year on twitter. It's also being made in UE5. There's no date given yet, however Jeff Grubb did say inXile's new game is internally scheduled for 2023, so chances are this is it.

We have already known inXile is working on some type of steampunk game, but whether that was their first project or their second was uncertain. Looks like it is probably their first.

Brian Fargo is the founder of inXile, and he was also the founder of Interplay, the developers of Fallout. Though Chad Moore seems to be the creative director of the project. Pretty exciting though!

inXile is apparently growing very rapidly in numbers, so expect this to obviously be a much bigger game than Wasteland 3

-Random side note but Jez also says MS has 6 3rd party published games in development that he has documents for, and 2 more he's recently heard of
https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeak..._corden_inxiles_new_rpg_is_codenamed_project/

Xbox gamers will be well fed this gen.

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
pro-tip, use "as a player" instead of "as a gamer" when you're talking about personal taste. Flight Sim is an awesome game, but doesn't interest me as a player.

And for everyone piling on, reread that post as "as a player" and see if you're still mad abou it.
Then go read the posters follow up post. 😆
Not a big deal just funny.

"I started my engine, took off and crashed. Yeah not for me."

" I flew to my home town, then I visited grandmas house and yeah I think I'm done with this"

That's cool, I hear you not all "games" are for everyone. I'll never touch a fighting game again in my life but if one comes to Gamepass I'm not going to say as a gamer I'm disappointed.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
This isn't really the best place for this but since it's on sale on Xbox I'll ask anyway: Is it worth buying Dark Souls 3 if I hated Dark Souls 1 but loved Dark Souls 2 SOTFS?

I'm nearing the end of my DS2 replay and I just really love pretty much everything about this game (the levels, the OST, the bosses, the encounter design and the stress) but everything I loved about DS2 is pretty much what I disliked about DS1 (the areas in DS1 were awful, the bosses were generic and overly tough and the general encounter design was also incredibly stilted) and I know that DS3 pretty much just ignores everything DS2 does to in turn worship DS1 so I'm just kind of worried I won't like it as much.

So people who have played all 3, should I buy DS3?

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
It's crazy how, when there are finally lots of releases (The Ascent, Halo's Flight test, Flight Sim, Death's Door just to name a few), I really forget about the games I'm actually looking forward (Fable, Hellblade 2, Starfield, Avowed, etc.). It's good to actually play and have fun and not being stuck on that "waiting" feeling.

8 titles in total published by Xbox and developed by third-party partners?

Nice. I'm guessing we're getting:
- Contraband
- IOI's Dragon project
- Kojima's episodic cloud game
- Gears spin-off?
- Another title by Dontnod?
- Dlala's next game?
- Killer Instinct by Iron Galaxy
- Halo spin off?

Would he count Age of Empires IV and Flight sim, though? Since they're still unreleased / being worked on.

Also, it depends if they're only talking about the Publishing team or if they count everyone, because a Gears spin-off would be handled by The Coalition. I'm guessing that includes everyone because that would be even more if not.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019

Hmm. Hope that more comes of this. At the very least, good that we haven't heard of more instances within the Xbox org. But, that's certainly no guarantee that things are better (or will remain good once Covid restrictions end). Good to be tackling that more proactively - and empowering internal groups to bring it up, rather than empowering outside groups to shut them down. But clearly more to do, even if they're not being explicit about what.

Idk why y'all feeling pressed, calling somebody a Gamer is maybe the most vicious insult I can think of.
Heh. Right? I'm always like... am I subtly insulting people when I talk about Gamers, cuz I never want to call myself one..

But, I think it would be better phrased as "As a game, Flight Sim lacks most of the gamification levers that keep people returning." This is one reason why it is not referred to as a game officially. However, that does not mean it is not inherently engaging as an experience or as cool tech. I can see why many people who play games may not enjoy MSFS. But of course, there's no reason why a "gamer" wouldn't enjoy MSFS all the same.

That said, the loop of Flight Sim is perhaps weirdly more akin to the experience in Sea of Thieves, particularly at launch. You don't gain levels, just knowledge and experience. There are intrinsic rewards of completing a voyage or quest, somewhat like finishing a flight (or even just finishing a small subtask) or seeing a landmark. Of course, travel is a huge part of both games. Now, I know what you're thinking.. SOT features pirates that you never know if or when they're gonna betray you and steal everything from you, which flight sim doesn't have. And I would just remind you of the two worst pirates: Air and Ground - constantly ready to wreck your plane and take everything from you in a ball of (unseen) fire. In conclusion, therefore, Flight Sim is basically Mario 64.

8 titles in total published by Xbox and developed by third-party partners?

Nice. I'm guessing we're getting:
- Contraband
- IOI's Dragon project
- Kojima's episodic cloud game
- Gears spin-off?
- Another title by Dontnod?
- Dlala's next game?
- Killer Instinct by Iron Galaxy
- Halo spin off?

Would he count Age of Empires IV and Flight sim, though? Since they're still unreleased / being worked on.

Also, it depends if they're only talking about the Publishing team or if they count everyone, because a Gears spin-off would be handled by The Coalition. I'm guessing that includes everyone because that would be even more if not.
He's pretty clear that it doesn't count AOE and Flight Sim, nor Kojima's project. However, some are much smaller projects and most are quite far away. It's possible (likey) he's counting games like As Dusk Falls.

So is this supposed to be inXile's ambitious UE5 RPG? I mean didn't Sponger say it was a 2024/2025 thing? Or that 2024/2025 project something else?
Yea, theoretically all one and the same thing. Ambitious UE5 steampunk first person RPG, that includes at least some amount of shooting, that is early in production. But, who knows - things can and will change haha.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Is there an app version of the Xbox store? I figured it would be on the Xbox app, like the PlayStation app, but I don't see it on there anywhere.

I want to look up the Games with Gold and redeem them. I always forget to, and I don't want to do it on my Series S because it automatically starts downloading when I redeem it

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Is there an app version of the Xbox store? I figured it would be on the Xbox app, like the PlayStation app, but I don't see it on there anywhere.

I want to look up the Games with Gold and redeem them. I always forget to, and I don't want to do it on my Series S because it automatically starts downloading when I redeem it
No. To purchase/claim games it needs to be done on the web store or on console.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, but that take was cringeworthy enough to merit the reaction it got. To say you don't like a game, sure. But to suggest that "real gamers" don't, or shouldn't like it is garbage.

And until we get some sort of numbers of it's engagement on Xbox we won't know this for sure but I think Flight Sim may be a stealth blockbuster for Xbox on consoles. Seeing all sorts of people falling in love with it having never tried Flight Sim before. I know a bunch of my friends have unexpectedly become as addicted as I have.
This. 👏

Onlywantsapples

alt account
Banned
May 13, 2021
I struggle to believe 2023 for Inexile's game, just because I find the notion of MS releasing 2 RPGs in a year, somewhat questionable, but we'll see.

I'm extremely excited for Inexile's game with that being said.

johnny_park

Jan 16, 2018
What I like about Flight simulator is that after I watch videos like this I can then search for the places.

youtu.be

Top 10 CREEPIEST Small Towns in America

Top 10 creepiest small towns in the United States of America. This list has creepy and secluded towns in Alaska, West Virginia, Oregon, Arizona, Pennsylvania...

Joo

May 25, 2018
User warned (1 week threadban): Meta-commentary, platform war generalisations
wth are you even on about? "as a gamer" aren't we all gamers here?
Yes, but that whole "as a gamer" was still about a personal preference and not some attack against FS not being a real game, whatever that means. Just a poor choice of words for not being into pure simulators, which is also completely understandable. Even if it was something else, you're free to disagree as much as you want, but disagreeing is different to just trying to mock an opinion.

What do I care, but might be better to not try to ridicule or instantly shoot down people just because they aren't praising everything about MS or have a differing opinion. Apparently if you could choose even the OT title should have this kind of energy. Maybe you don't see it and you aren't the only one here, but imo this weird defensive behaviour of certain members makes Xbox OT almost inactive at times because some don't seem to want a balanced discussion, but only a circle jerk basically. This isn't a thing in Sony or Nintendo threads.
I've never been into simulators, but just seeing Flight Sim in action gives me that same urge to try it as some big blockbusters. It has the production values, and FS being the type of game it is allows some truly magnificent visuals, and to me the whole thing's a success.

It doesn't need to be a big blockbuster really, because let's be real, it's never going to beat the first person shooters, action-adventures or RPGs in popularity and personally I'll always choose any of these genres over simulators. It's just a preference. Simulators have been around for ages and we know it's a niche genre. That doesn't mean it still can't be popular and I'm sure it is, but I understand why someone would also want more MS games from those more popular genres.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
I had to uninstall flight sim on pc and I'm trying to reinstall but it is just getting stuck at 5% and refuses to make progress. I restarted it multiple times...

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
Hideo Kojima casually posting a picture of him in front of clouds ;)

He's pretty clear that it doesn't count AOE and Flight Sim, nor Kojima's project. However, some are much smaller projects and most are quite far away. It's possible (likey) he's counting games like As Dusk Falls.

Oh yeah, of course As Dusk Falls counts. Forgot about it for a minute, since we haven't heard anything about it since the announcement.

It's weird if it doesn't coun't Kojima's project. Surely that would be part of it.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
I struggle to believe 2023 for Inexile's game, just because I find the notion of MS releasing 2 RPGs in a year, somewhat questionable, but we'll see.

I'm extremely excited for Inexile's game with that being said.
2 RPGs in a year will happen anyway. Avowed and Fable might both release in 2023. If not, Fable and inXile's game will both release in 2024.

It's totally fine, as long as they're spread out (one in the first half and the other in the second half).

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Hideo Kojima casually posting a picture of him in front of clouds ;)

Oh yeah, of course As Dusk Falls counts. Forgot about it for a minute, since we haven't heard anything about it since the announcement.

It's weird if it doesn't coun't Kojima's project. Surely that would be part of it.
Oh you know what? It probably does. He was saying he had heard of about 6 far off games not including Kojima, so the other two might well be like Kojima and As Dusk Falls or something like that. Haha not sure. sorry

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
Man that Halo Infinite flight was soo good, totally hooked

Also off topic, but saw Suicide Squad at the weekend and it was brilliant. If you're on the fence due to being burned by so many DC movies in the past (like me), go see it

Status
Not open for further replies.