Status
Not open for further replies.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Tried Flight Sim last night, immediately flipped my plane upside down on the runway. What I need is passenger sim.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
It's huge when it comes into effect. Games don't have to "use" it per se, it's a system level feature. Basically, if your game drops frames, VRR will adjust the refresh rate of your monitor to the same as the game's, which means you don't actually get a typical frame drop stutter. I'd say for 120 fps games it's critical since a lot of them don't hit 120. For 60fps games it's nice to have, especially ones that are unstable (looking at you Cyberpunk).

Game changer, seriously.

When I first used it on PC, it genuinely felt like I'd entered next-gen early lol
Thank you both. I have a 77" C1 sitting at best buy ready for pickup but am having buyers remorse and wondering if I should have grabbed the A80j. I know the A80j is going to get VRR "soon", but to my mind that means next model. I'm coming from a 55" Vizio LED so either one is going to be an insane improvement. If it weren't for VRR I would probably grab the A80j

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Thank you both. I have a 77" C1 sitting at best buy ready for pickup but am having buyers remorse and wondering if I should have grabbed the A80j. I know the A80j is going to get VRR "soon", but to my mind that means next model. I'm coming from a 55" Vizio LED so either one is going to be an insane improvement. If it weren't for VRR I would probably grab the A80j
I don't think you'll get buyers remorse at all. The C1 is gorgeous and will fit all your needs. I think it'll blow you away and you wouldn't notice any different between it and the a80j.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
Anyone else feel like we're at one of the highest points in recent Xbox history?

We just got off of the huge successes that were Xbox's E3 showcase and the releases of Death's Door and Flight Sim, The Ascent has gotten pretty solid reviews, and Halo Infinite's Tech Preview has been nearly universally well recieved by the fanbase. And we have an amazing August to look forward to!

I feel like I have had my Series X on more than ever before lol

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else feel like we're at one of the highest points in recent Xbox history?

We just got off of the huge successes that were Xbox's E3 showcase and the releases of Death's Door and Flight Sim, The Ascent has gotten pretty solid reviews, and Halo Infinite's Tech Preview has been nearly universally well recieved by the fanbase. And we have an amazing August to look forward to!

Agreed in part. I think the console has some great momentum going. It's a bit of a shame that Halo is not a September release but otherwise everything is coming up Milhouse right now.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
Agreed in part. I think the console has some great momentum going. It's a bit of a shame that Halo is not a September release but otherwise everything is coming up Milhouse right now.
In a way, a later November/December launch might be advantageous - especially if Call of Duty releases in the rumored rough state (and with the recent Activision Blizzard news, I expect that to happen even more.) Halo could launch with all of the momentum at the right time, exactly what it needs to reestablish its place amongst the top shooters.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
It's super exciting right now, but I think each successive year is looking better and better. This is an amazing month no doubt about that!

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
to be honest the things I probably love about 5 the most are

1) how the game feels (it feels really tight, tighter than anything that came before)
2) map design

on the map design in particular, I feel like it just really clicks with me. they're easy to understand, and learn, and that reminds me very much of like a black ops 2, or 3 with the 3 lane map design.

If Infinite has those two I'll probably be fine too I hope. This is honestly the first Halo game that's just really clicked with me.

It's interesting you call out map design, as 5 has picked up a lot of shit for the maps - some of it deserved, some undeserved IMO. I think there are a handful of really good maps - maps in which I'm still finding cool little tricks and jumps thanks to the movement abilities - but they also leaned heavily into map 'remixes', where they took an existing map and reworked it (so, for example, Regret is a remix of Truth, Eden is a remix of Empire, Riptide is a remix of Fathom, etc), and there are no dev-made BTB maps at all, which was a pretty big miss. Personally, there's a few maps in there I love, that I'll continue to enjoy (and hopefully some enterprising Forger will make them in Infinite).

I agree with how tight the game feels, but that might just be down to the fact I have over 2,000 hours logged, haha.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Halo 5 is pretty much my favourite MP game of all time at this point, so it's always great to see someone enjoy it!

I was a bit wary about Infinite, because it's been obvious for a while that they were going to strip out a lot of the stuff I love.
And they have, but luckily it still plays really well. Infinite feels like a bit of a mix been 3 and 5, which are two of my favourite games ever, so I think I'm going to be ok 😅

On TV your screen how dose it look and feel?

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
On TV your screen how dose it look and feel?

I think it looks great! Just looks like... modernised classic Halo, really. Feels very good as well - my first few games, I couldn't get the hang of the aiming, and my accuracy was terrible. Messed around with sens settings etc, and just played more, and it feels really good. I do think aim assist feels quite minimal, but my accuracy is back up to where it sits in H5, so maybe that's just in my head, haha.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Couldn't hit the ignore thread fast enough for the Halo spoiler thread.

Not that the story is that big of deal to me, but seeing something this early would suck.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
I think it looks great! Just looks like... modernised classic Halo, really. Feels very good as well - my first few games, I couldn't get the hang of the aiming, and my accuracy was terrible. Messed around with sens settings etc, and just played more, and it feels really good. I do think aim assist feels quite minimal, but my accuracy is back up to where it sits in H5, so maybe that's just in my head, haha.

Sounding great :)

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
In a way, a later November/December launch might be advantageous - especially if Call of Duty releases in the rumored rough state (and with the recent Activision Blizzard news, I expect that to happen even more.) Halo could launch with all of the momentum at the right time, exactly what it needs to reestablish its place amongst the top shooters.

I worry about BF 2042 taking some of its shine. It has the makings of being "the" shooter this holiday season. That said, I have absolutely loved what I've played of Halo Infinite so far.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017

I certainly do - first time I've been compelled to own an Xbox. Very happy with my purchase.

On another note, why the obsession with "Native 4K" for Halo? Will they ever give us something that might employ FSR (or similar) and add more visual bells and whistles?

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017

I think their best years are yet to come. 2022 onwards will be insane. With Halo Infinite's launch being the spark.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
I need a list of all these super amazing looking indie games coming out, feel like I'm gonna miss some of them

Mar 19, 2020

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018

Yea, and it's just the start lol.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Not even close to the highest point. The future is bright, but very few substantial games have even released yet.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017

yup and it's only the beginning.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
yup and it's only the beginning.
This is probably understating it.

We'll roll off of Starfield / Forza Motorsport / Redfall next year, and into another 3-4 first-party AAA day-1 games in 2023.

Like, I think that this year having Halo / Forza Horizon will be pretty good, but other than "free with Game Pass" it will feel a bit like more of the same. But once we start getting a bunch of franchises that aren't traditional Xbox first-party titles, things will feel different in a really good way.

Mar 6, 2021
Saint Louis
I worry about BF 2042 taking some of its shine. It has the makings of being "the" shooter this holiday season. That said, I have absolutely loved what I've played of Halo Infinite so far.
i think that is a fair worry. Thought infinite has 2 main things that give it the edge. The first is obvious, being ftp with no fomo bp. The second is there is no shooter in the active market like infinite. At the end of the day, BF still plays like most of the shooters out there except it has some really strong aspects that it leans on (player count, vehicles, frostbite). At the same time though, i think there is space for both given all those reasons listed. I want both to have healthy player bases

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Which recent point was higher?

It depends what you mean by recent I guess. The 360 generation had much better moments with many huge exclusives. Even the Xbox One had a pretty strong launch. The Series X had a weak launch from an exclusives perspective. The big games are coming, but they still aren't really here yet. Once they get here and deliver, I'll be ready to make that statement.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Not even close to the highest point. The future is bright, but very few substantial games have even released yet.
Based on the quality of games coming out as exclusives or GP games starting with Death's Door onward, it's hard to think of a better string of MS-backed releases in a long while. Just my opinion but I can hardly keep up. Add an amazing Halo flight to get everyone excited and we're in for an amazing year.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Went ahead and got a 2TB Seagate Hard Drive for my Series S. I think I am ready to go now!
Have Battletoads, Blinx (have always wanted to try this one out, tbh), Cities Skylines, Dead by Daylight, Death's Door, Halo: TMCC, Hotshot Racing, Knockout City, Microsoft Flight Simulator, Omno, Planet Coaster, Powerstar Golf (love me some Hot Shots Golf-inspired games), Rare Replay, and Sims 4 so far.

Any other recommendations, especially stuff that's on sale and not on Game Pass perhaps? Or heck, even stuff ON Game Pass!

Also, if anyone wants to add me on Xbox, just hit me up with a DM. Always looking for new friends for my new console!

Regardless, I'm really loving this machine. I even like the cute jingle it plays when I take it out of sleep mode!

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Based on the quality of games coming out as exclusives or GP games starting with Death's Door onward, it's hard to think of a better string of MS-backed releases in a long while. Just my opinion but I can hardly keep up. Add an amazing Halo flight to get everyone excited and we're in for an amazing year.

Yeah I'm not disputing that what is coming is poised to be the best ever. I'm just saying it has barely started yet and there haven't been many big releases yet. So I'm just waiting until they come out and deliver.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Halo Infinite multiplayer is going to be massive, the game looks and sounds amazing. Hopefully the campaign is up to par.

JadedGhost

Jan 28, 2019
Yeah I'm not disputing that what is coming is poised to be the best ever. I'm just saying it has barely started yet and there haven't been many big releases yet. So I'm just waiting until they come out and deliver.

I think you are absolutely entitled to your opinion on this and you are correct in ehat you are saying. From a AAA perspective you are spot on, Xbox will hit it's AAA stride from late 2022 and never slow down from there.

From an access, genre diversity and in my eyes quality perspective i think we are already in the best period xbox has ever been in. With gamepass we have access to a plethora of quality games on the platform both AAA and Indie (2021 skewing more towards indie) with a low cost entry point and this should definitely be weighted positively when comparing to the previous generations of xbox.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I think you are absolutely entitled to your opinion on this and you are correct in ehat you are saying. From a AAA perspective you are spot on, Xbox will hit it's AAA stride from late 2022 and never slow down from there.

From an access, genre diversity and in my eyes quality perspective i think we are already in the best period xbox has ever been in. With gamepass we have access to a plethora of quality games on the platform both AAA and Indie (2021 skewing more towards indie) with a low cost entry point and this should definitely be weighted positively when comparing to the previous generations of xbox.
Yea, Game Pass really can't be ignored here. The number of quality games we're getting every month makes this period the best Xbox has ever been for me.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Flight Sim is soo fking good! Already spent 50 hours on a game that if you asked me a few years ago I would have said no way I am playing a flight sim.

Oct 27, 2017
Did we know Flight Sim would be $69.99 retail? That's what GameStop's weekly ad says. I guess it confirms next gen Series only games will get the $10 price hike.

my mistake if this was confirmed long ago

edit: seems like it may be a price mistake by GameStop, and it might be $60. That's great!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.