• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The last thread was closed because, according to staff, it turned into more of a spectacle when it turned out this was a serious problem that needed tact. To that end, I'm asking that people take this thread a little more seriously.

That all said, it appears she is now going in for medical treatment:

I'm hoping she recovers well. I figured it was worth an update. There's multiple paths to go here as far as discussion - using products only as labeled, the pressures on women to look a particular way all the time (which could have created desperation), or the spectacle on social media (including the very image in the tweet above).

All I have is - either way, poor woman.

EDIT: Seems like her sister's TikTok is also documenting this process

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
Thank goodness. I was lurking the last one and it looked pretty serious.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Jesus how actually terrifying
I was afraid to look into this when it first started because people were cracking jokes but fuck

I_love_potatoes

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 6, 2020
Any medical experts here know what will happen? Either she loses all her hair and her scalp is damaged, or somehow, by the grace of unicorn luck she retains her hair?

Will she have ingrown hair since there was no way for it to grow out?

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Her scalp surely is damaged. That's just horrible. I hope she doesn't have any mental or psyche damage if she ends up permanently bald.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I hope everything is alright. When first reading the story just the fact that hair was growing under that glue had me panicked.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, good. Hopefully this doesn't permanently mess her up. That second video she posted where she got choked up was a real bummer :(

Oct 27, 2017
I hope she comes out of it with as minimal damage as possible. Did any of her vids explain why she put glue, of all things, in her hair?

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hope there's no terrible damage underneath. Not trying to shame her or anything, but when I read that it was a month in the other thread I did a double-take. Even a week seems like the time to start worrying/looking for help over something like this.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Thank God. I still can't believe she didn't read the label and realize that Gorilla Glue is literally glue.

Like a lot of shit comes in spray bottles. Just because it's in a spray bottle doesn't mean it's safe for use on the human body. And also if there was any doubt, why wasn't there any attempt to Google if it was safe or not. Google would have told you real quick.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She shouldn't have waited a month, like damn she should have gone to the hospital the next day.

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
Hope her scalp is healthy and unharmed. Hopefully she didn't completely soak her hair and it just stayed on the surface. I don't know gorilla glue well enough to know if there's a way to remove it and still keep her hair.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I once had a small drop of gorilla glue on the tip of my finger stuck. It took me weeks just to get it off.

Also these glues have a short shelf life. If they're sitting in your closet for weeks they become hardened and really difficult to squeeze out.

VoxPop

Oct 30, 2017
Yikes. First time seeing this. Ideally she retains her hair and comes out okay but how dumb are you to spray gorilla glue on your head?

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Thank God. I still can't believe she didn't read the label and realize that Gorilla Glue is literally glue.

Like a lot of shit comes in spray bottles. Just because it's in a spray bottle doesn't mean it's safe for use on the human body. And also if there was any doubt, why wasn't there any attempt to Google if it was safe or not. Google would have told you real quick.
In all likelihood, she knew it was glue, but figured it was like conventional glue. Elmers glue comes in a spray bottle, but if you glue down your hair, you can wash that shit out in a shower. You might pull some hair out, but you're not going to be doing any permanent damage.

This is more about people not really understanding the differences in commercially available glues found at the super market. Most people use Elmers glue, which soap and water can address, or Krazy Glue, which rubbing alcohol, nail polish remover, or paint thinner take care of pretty easily. And most people have rubbing alcohol and nail polish remover in their home.

Gorilla Glue isn't hampered by any of those, which most people probably aren't aware of.

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
I once had a small drop of gorilla glue on the tip of my finger stuck. It took me weeks just to get it off.

Also these glues have a short shelf life. If they're sitting in your closet for weeks they become hardened and really difficult to squeeze out.
i really like gorilla glue but we must be using different ones because the ones i use are definitely strong but in no way permanent. hell the duct tape while really sticky wouldn't stick to my wall all that well. thats only a wall and not porous human skin which should make sticking stuff to it harder after a while.

Red

Oct 26, 2017

People make mistakes and poor decisions. Not all of them are publicized. It's safe to assume this kind of thing happens more often than it gets blasted on social media.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
considering she waited a month, I fear the worst. I don't think she's getting her hair back, but I hope she can come out of this without needing extra skin surgery

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Hopefully they're able to fix it, while it was admittedly funny to hear about at first when the news broke it's the type of funny of seeing a friend trip while going to help them up and now it's time to make sure the friend isn't hurt.

Hopefully her hair and scalp see no long term damage, I'm sure doctors will be able to take most of it out, just hopefully without damage or pain.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
That has to be so painful. So fucked up the hospital just gave her acetone and sent her home.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
I started losing my hair because of discoid lupus and it was super traumatic. I know wigs exist, but there are more layers to this than some people understand.

Black hair is more than just hair; it's style and armor and the beauty of our people all rolled into one. I cannot imagine how scared and upset she is right now. I hope she comes out of this bruised and not scarred.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As the father of black girls, it really bothers me when they straighten, get extensions, and do endless other things to try to have what society tells them is 'normal' hair. Of course, I don't share that disappointment with them but it's devastating to me that they aren't happy with their natural hair. Almost feels like I failed them.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
:( The ER sent her home to try to dissolve it on her own.

Edit: well that link didn't work.

They should have kept her at the ER on standby for chemical burns...

Last edited:

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I can't imagine how uncomfortable her head must be. Just thinking about it makes my head itch. I'd be going absolutely fucking insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.