• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will you be upgrading the SSD on your next gen console?

• Immediately or very shortly after launch and internal wear is a concern

Votes: 16 1.6%
  • Immediately or very shortly after launch but internal wear is not a concern

Votes: 85 8.5%
  • I plan to but I'm waiting for a price drop on the SSD first and internal wear is a concern

Votes: 53 5.3%
  • I plan to but I'm waiting for a price drop on the SSD first but internal wear is not a concern

Votes: 446 44.8%
  • I don't plan to as I'll manage the internal drive and/or use cold storage as being good enough

Votes: 283 28.4%
  • I don't even wear underwear.

Votes: 113 11.3%

• Total voters

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
No concerns here. Will, maybe, expand the PS5 memory in 1 or 2 years when the prices are lower. I survided an entire generation with a 400GB of free space on PS4, i can survive another generation with 600GB of free space on a PS5 if i decide to not expand.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
If I thought SSD failure was that much of an issue id just make sure to buy the mid gen refresh of these consoles.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not worried about a failing SSD at all, in all honesty, the prospect seems a bit blown out of proportion. With the amount of use and abuse the SSD's I currently have with no issues over the years, yeah, can't say I'm worried about it.

My external purchase will be purely based on adding more convenience.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like by the time the internal SSD is something to worry about, I'll have already replaced the PS5 for some other reason.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh I'm probably gonna upgrade either of them. Pretty sure I'll have no problem fitting 6-8 games at a time maybe more, so I don't care if one day I have to uninstall a game I haven't played in months.

Haribokart

Oct 27, 2017
I've had a 1TB SSD in my PS4 since the day of launch in 2013, which I then migrated over to the Pro the day that came out. Used the consoles for gaming and media most days in that time and it's still super fast.. you don't need to worry about SSD wear.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Not going to upgrade it at all. I only play one game at a time so I'll just uninstall the oldest game like I have on PS4 when I need room, and I'm not worried about wear and tear.

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
SSDs last awhile unless they are defective. I'm running on a 9 year old SSD as my OS drive and I haven't had any issues with it at all.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
this is zero concern to me. i was actually surprised it was a question but I guess some people are super hardcore with their drives so it makes sense.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Drive wear is a complete and total non issue for a gaming console.

keep in mind that things like moving large games from cold storage to the main SSD will impact

Even things like that, which are not very intensive on a drive, most players will never do. Typical user will just download a game, play it, forget it, and then delete it if they need space later.

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
SSD's are longer lasting than mechanical drives to begin with, and have wear-leveling built in. I don't think it should be a huge concern for most people.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Darknight OP.

The PS5 on board nand storage is just as likely to die just as any other on board nand storage.

Keep in mind SSDs don't have moving parts so they don't wear out over time like a magnetic disc based drive will (HDD). A SSD's longevity is determined by how many writes you do them over the lifetime of the device.

For example the primary NVMe drive in my PC is a Samsung 970 Evo Plus, which has a failure tolerance of 600 TBW (That's 600 Terabytes written) this means I'd have to write 600 terabytes roughly before the drive starts to deteriorate and fail.

I built this PC back May of 2019, so I just over a year and half now and you want to know how much data I've written to my drive so far. 7.7TB written in over a year an half of heavy use daily and it's lifespan is rated at 600TB. That's 1.2% out of its maximum potential writes and with continued use at the same rate would take 15 years to hit 77 terabytes written, let alone the drives rated longevity of 600...

The failure tolerances for SSDs are by far much much higher than typical magnetic storage / HDDs.

Folks are having bit too much concern over a technology that has been proven reliable and existed for many years now.

By the time SSD in a PS5 dies from normal usage you would have likely moved on to a PlayStation 6 at that point. In fact the more moving mechanical parts like the consoles fan or disc drive are more likely to fail before the SSD ever will.

Last edited:

PadPoet

Lead Community Manager at Socialpoint
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Barcelona
I've had SSDs since 2009 (good old Samsung SLC drives, anyone remembers these?)

I probably have more than 20 SSDs in general, ranging from 64GB to 4TB. Only one of them failed (Sandisk 128GB) and that was because of the crappy onboard controller.

My PS4 Pro has a 1TB Samsung SSD (850 Evo) for almost two years now and I've had zero issues. I always tend to have more than 200GB free space though in order for it to "breath".

I don't think anyone will manage to wear out these SSDs found in the PS5 and Xbox Series S and X to the point that you'll notice a performance drop. Of course, if you completely fill it up you lose some performance, as you do with every SSD.

CosmicGP

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
How quaint.

I had this concern too when i started using ssd 7 years ago, but having run a software test on it and finding it in 99% health, I'm no longer concerned.

If a 7 year old ssd can be that good, I imagine today's nvme ssd would be made with even better preservative measures.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
My oldest SSD is close to 8 years old and I still have it in use with no problem on my PC. It has been formatted several times as I have done rebuilds of my PC over the years and never had a issue. OP does not seem to know how SSD's work and what the typical lifespan is for these devices. Someone called this "fud" the thread and was right.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
It is better to have one PS5, wait for the SSD to fail and buy a PS5 Slim for 300 or so.

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
I'm still running my Samsung SSD 5+ years later without a single issue. I imagine the ones in the new consoles will be more than adequate to last a very long time.

I am hoping that I'll never need to add another drive (SSD or not) and get super fast on BC games and optimised ones. I only ever have 1 or 2 AAA games going at a time, plus of course some indies installed that I tend to leave there. I have GamePass will will install a bunch but likely delete them if they suck and certainly remove them when I've completed them.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I'm sure it will be fine, certainly fine enough for me not to spend a buttload on another drive within the next.. 6 years or more until the prices come way down

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
It takes hundreds of terabytes, sometimes even petabytes to kill a SSD. There isn't anything to worry about.

Yep. Folks would need to go out of there way to beyond abusive level to do as much downloads and writes to the console in 5 year period to kill it within the typical window of a consoles given life span.

At 600TBW that would be roughly 328 GB a day, every single day, over a 5 year period.

600,000,000,000,000 / 1825 (365 Days X 5) = 328GB. (Actually the number is 328,767,123,287) but rounding to the nearest tenth.

Absolutely no one is going to be doing constant 328GB writes every single day to their console over over a 5 year period which is the typical console length lifespan.

This is such a non-issue to a ridiculous level. There is being concerned and then there is creating FUD.

Total Cereal

Oct 28, 2017
I am heavily contemplating getting that 1TB Series X drive. I refuse to play my Xbox One games on anything but the new SSD, and I have 1.5TB full right now on my One X, so I'll definitely need it unless I cut back on my installed games which I really don't want to do.

Edit: as for the wear on SSD, modern SSDs last much longer than older ones, so 8m not worried about that at all. If anything, Sony/Microsoft might just replace it for you if it ever becomes an issue. Hopefully SSDs will be so cheap by the time this becomes an issue that your measly 1TB internal drive won't matter anymore.

sun-drop

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
wellington , new zealand
i'll start thinking about it once i start hitting capacity. long term i'll have FIFA, and madden installed, maybe warzone , apex .. and then just deal game to game / which ever other game i'm currently playing

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Wow. Not sure if this is related to the subject, but I wonder if this is why Gamecards for the Switch are read-only, & not read & write like with the majority of cartridges from the 80's & 90's.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Standard SSD's are made to perform millions of read/writes. I Imagine other components will fail before the SSD does on these consoles. That said I will be expanding the ps5 when prices come down because 825gb just ain't enough.

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realize upgraded storage adds on to your shit. Hell yeah. 1 TB might last me the whole gen then, I'm pretty good about beating and deleting games.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I am absolutely not worried about the internal SSD wear. These are the latest and greatest SSDs. It's a pretty unfounded concern really.

I want to expand the storage space at sometime though, yes.

JiyuuTenshi

Oct 28, 2017
This really shouldn't be a problem as consoles mostly read from the SSD and don't write to it often at all. I'll definitely wait till there are larger (> 2 TB) and cheaper alternatives for additional storage available, especially with the proprietary SSD of the Xbox Series X. Until then I'll use a large external drive to shuffle games around if necessary.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's a chip, not a physical drive with moving parts like current consoles. 'Wear' isn't really an issue outside your head.

If y'all want something to be worried about, these types of hard drives can actually lose data if they are unplugged for a very long time.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I'd rather have a 4TB external HDD than 1TB of SSD... My internet connection is fast but I like having more games available even if that means waiting 10 minutes or so to copy them to the internal SSD.

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
To all the people concerned about wear: how are these current generation systems doing? All your PS4s and XBOs run on mechanical drives that are waaay more prone to failure than SSDs. How many hard drives actually died on you in the last 7 years?

That didn't even occur to me. So no, lol
If it dies, it dies
The kind of data you may lose is easily recoverable and cloud saves will be available for pretty much everyone, so whatever happens...

I'll upgrade right away, but only because I'm getting the series S.
It does make sense if the internal drive is simply small and you think it's worth expanding, indeed.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Unless there's some weird fuckery going on this shouldn't be a problem until years down the line.

Source: sys admin with multiple write heavy MySQL databases on SSDs

Lion

Banned
Jul 7, 2020
I'm a expecting a pro version in 3-4yrs, and will relieve the whole system then.

I have ssd's in my pc that are 10yrs old, so I have no major concerns.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
The SSD is probably the least likely component to fail on those devices. The power button will fail before the SSD does.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is most likely a non issue as you will not write so much data to your internal disk. You will also read more than you write.
What is the typical attach rate for a console user? Something like ten games? Let's say it's 20 for simple math and let's say it's 100gb per game, then that's 2tb of written data. Let's say we have a lot of patches that, for whatever reason, doubles that. 4tb. Add another 2tb because for whatever reason you install every game twice during the SSD lifespan. Then you end up with 6tb written. A typical SSD has something like 300tbw nowadays. So that's like 2% of the tbw...

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
Bought a 1TB Samsung 980 Pro nvme for the PS5. If it doesn't work I'll use on my pc for additional storage