• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will you get a „Switch Pro“ at Launch?

• I have a Switch and will get the Pro version at launch

Votes: 1,809 65.3%
  • I have a Switch and won‘t get the Pro Version at launch

Votes: 693 25.0%
  • I don’t have a Switch, but will get the Pro Version at launch

Votes: 127 4.6%
  • I don’t have a Switch and have no interest in a Pro Version either

Votes: 141 5.1%

• Total voters

emperor_ing

Jan 10, 2018
United Kingdom
Yes. I've been after a second Switch for a while but considering I do play docked more than handheld the Lite doesn't appeal as much. I'll grab the enhanced model then use the original as a backup / travel system.

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
Hell yes. My current Switch is all sticky and scratched because my daughter uses it a lot, even if it's not much more powerful it'll be nice to have an excuse to get one just for myself. My wife says we "can't afford it", but we'll see ;)

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I will wait and see if we get a BotW 2 special edition or something!
Because I'm still really happy with my switch and the performance.

Thats why I will wait for some nice design. Maybe even a Monster Hunter Rise DLC special edition Switch Pro

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Would have to be a really big upgrade with some exclusives for me to be there day one.
Especially when I only got my Switch at the end of 2018.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I genuinely cannot remember the last time I turned on my Switch.

So to answer your question: yes.

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017
Not sure, it depends on how enhanced it is. I'm only really interested in the TV side of things, don't care about the handheld aspects.

Hoping they'll have some ergonomic/non-drfity 'Pro' joy-cons.

If it turned out to be a standalone Switch VR with Mario Kart VR at launch...I wouldn't hesitate.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Doubt I'd get it at launch, but maybe shortly after if it has stuff that will noticeably improve my time with it. I'd probably sell my Lite in that case and use my regular Switch as my portable one.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Let's be honest, sadly this thing is going to be scalped until after the holiday, so yeah if you want one, you know what to do.

toastybanana

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to see what new releases they bring with it before committing. Also how far of a leap the new hardware goes beyond the regular Switch.

Ballerman

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
the "i won't buy a switch until it gets better hardware" people really not showing up for this poll

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I always wanted to try out the hardware hacks on my old Switch but I wanted to avoid any issues if I made any mistakes hacking it.

I'm really looking forward to getting two upgrades.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, don't have interest in a mid gen upgrade.

I just hope games will still run fine on my og switch in handheld mode. Would suck if this causes games to not be optimized for that anymore :(

Oct 28, 2017
I'd like one, but the global chip shortages and the pandemic might have other plans. We'll see, but right now I'm expecting the Switch revision to have even worse scalping issues than the current Microsoft and Sony consoles.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Unless there's exclusives to that version that I want and can't get on another platform, I'm likely keeping my launch Switch for awhile. Never upgraded my launch DS or 3DS either.

Like, if BOTW2 is an exclusive I'll pick it up, but if BOTW2 simply runs better I won't.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Probably, yeah, if it's a reasonable improvement. I find myself butting up against the limitations of the Switch a lot when I play it.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
I'm unsure at this point. Already have a launch Switch and a Switch Lite. Other than playing Monster Hunter Rise I've not used them a ton the past year or so, and even that I'm still early in as XSX and PS5 games get most of my attention.

If I got one I'd probably just trade/Sale both my Switch and Switch Lite as then I wouldn't mind the upgrade even if I don't end up using it more than I have been my current ones. I also worry not enough enough games will take advantage of the extra power, like the New 3DS never ended up feeling like it was worth the upgrade. The Switch Lite is way more comfortable in handheld mode, but I could go back to dealing with the full size one to knock the upgrade cost down.

But if I can offset most of the cost via selling/trading my current ones it may be worth it. Though a wrinkle there is my launch Switch has some minor damage from a drop. Spot on screen that is a bit white in some scenes and broken plastic around the fan. Works 100% fine docked and mostly fine portable as that screen spot isn't very distracting usually.

In any case, I'll probably be in wait and see mode and see how much better the screen and battery life are and how big the performance boost is in things like BOTW2 as frame drops bugged me in the first and whether there's a boost for existing games like Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity as I've held off on that as the drops in the demo were terrible.

Definitely zero interest in putting in the time to hunt one down if there's not an easy preorder opportunity. If there is a preorder wave announced well in advance I may give it a try since it will likely be hard to find for a while. Though I doubt it will be as bad as the Switch Launch window or the PS5 or XSX currently as the mid gen refresh consoles, New 3DS etc. weren't nearly as difficult to find as upgrade demand isn't as high as new console demand. Though I'm sure this will be worse than past ones with less supply due to the chip, capacitor etc. shortages.

Last edited:

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Most likely, yeah. Primarily because the GF keeps hogging my current Switch.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
If I can score a pre-order, then absolutely yes. I don't really use my OG hybrid unit for handheld play much anymore since I got a Lite. It'll be great to shift my OG to my downstairs 720p TV as a purely Ring Fit focused machine, then have a really slick version for my nice 4K TV upstairs.

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely. Switch is one of my favourite consoles ever and playing Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity convinced m it was time for a much needed upgrade.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
If I can get a pre-order in, sure.

I would sell my current Switch once I have the new one in hand.

Father Kratos

Oct 30, 2017
Was waiting for this announcement for over an year, withholding my purchase because of all the rumours. Can't wait to get my hands on it finally.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If I can find one. There are many Switch games I haven't played yet in the hopes an enhanced model would come out soon.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Dont have one, tried so much last year. By the time I could get one, PS5 and XSX was out.

I hope I can get one this time. My mistake was not getting one at launch.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If i even can find one at launch, sure, but considering the scarcity of the other new consoles, i guess it's gonna be an issue getting a switch pro.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
I bought the Switch at launch, great purchase and haven't regretted it for a single second.

I'll get a Switch Pro at launch, provided it's what we are anticipating it to be. I can't wait to see how the next Zelda looks on the upgraded hardware.

The bonus is it will be easy to sell my previous Switch to help fund the new one, can't really lose.

My plan is to pre-order it on Best Buy. I haven't missed a single console pre-order since I started doing it with the PS2 (even the ps5 posed no difficulty for me), hoping I can continue the trend.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I was all in until the Valve handheld news hit. Might go for that and stick to my old Switch.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
We've all collectively been limping along with the Switch the last year or two due to games that came out but weren't really up to spec.

We liked them but all of us would have said "it would have been nice at a more consistent frame rate" or "this is amazing, but it could do with a 4K or HDR"

So I think it's definitely time for a new model.

I can "cope" with my original model, but the hardware is starting to show it's age.

Id not hesitate, not even at $400

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
Definitely won't be getting it day 1 but of it has exclusives I'll probably eventually pick it up if there's any that interest me. Otherwise I'm fine with my regular Switch and overclocking it if performance is ever an issue.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I would have bought the Switch Pro in 2017 if it had existed.

I always buy every console upgrade, but this is especially true for Nintendo whose handheld upgrade history has always been a significant improvement that leaves the other in the dust.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe? If original Switch games work and are taking advantage of the more powerful hardware without charging for enhanced versions then sure.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
I wanna see this hypothetical machine become a reality and see what it does before deciding. I had two Switches, sold both and for now I have no interest in buying it once again. I'm pretty satisfied with the PS5. That could change though, depending on what this machine is and, most importantly, if there's games I want to play on it.

Oct 26, 2017
I use my Switch constantly and, well, even Nintendo's games have been hitting their limits on it. Plus I do play in handheld and docked mode, albeit the former more than the latter. For me, it's a no brainer, especially if I can lock in a pre-order because otherwise I'll be going through Twitter hell to get one, like I am for the PS5