• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Persephone

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
getting banned for a whole month just because I wanted to clarify what the word "racism" - a word a LOT of people use instantly without giving a second thought - actually means.
never change resetera and bye. this is no place to discuss anything for sure. enjoy your entitlement and rage about topics you don't even directly suffer from in the first place. banning a woman in a feminist thread because she had the nerve to speak up, gg mods :)
while you're at it, delete my account as I can't do it myself

white feminism isn't feminism luv xx

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
getting banned for a whole month just because I wanted to clarify what the word "racism" - a word a LOT of people use instantly without giving a second thought - actually means.
never change resetera and bye. this is no place to discuss anything for sure. enjoy your entitlement and rage about topics you don't even directly suffer from in the first place. banning a woman in a feminist thread because she had the nerve to speak up, gg mods :)
It was a women that raised the problem with racism in this thread, it's disingenuous to pretend this was a silencing women thing. You had a chance to learn and grow, and you choose to double down , that reflects badly on you and no one else

Oct 27, 2017
If someone feels something is racist and they tell us then we need to take it seriously and think about it. Generalization is racist and we were doing it in this thread. Having someone come here and explain to us what we are doing wrong is a good thing. I myself was guilty of generalization and their posts helped me realize that. You were banned because you dismissed that. Own up to it and learn.

You being a woman has nothing to do with this. It applies to everyone regardless of their gender.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a Black woman. Log off and don't come back. Thanks.

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying Monster Hunter Rise a lot but the armours are bumming me out so far.

It was so much worse when me and my partner crafted the same armour and mine had the thighs exposed and his didn't. It sucks that Capcom still haven't learned.

The only hair option I have as a Black woman is an afro as well. This was also an issue in the base MHW game. /sigh

Hecht

Pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Barely 50 posts and you keep this up? See ya.

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying Monster Hunter Rise a lot but the armours are bumming me out so far.

Yeah. :/ Especially the Wroggi Armour, some cool Western Outfit for Male types, while the female one still doesnt have any pants. Shit sucks.

SPOILER_unknown.png

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. :/ Especially the Wroggi Armour, some cool Western Outfit for Male types, while the female one still doesnt have any pants. Shit sucks.

SPOILER_unknown.png

wow this is bad even for Monster Hunter standards...

Wow, yeah that's egregious lol. Do Capcom think no women play these games or do they think this is what we think of as a power fantasy?

pretty sure some people really think showing you're sexy is a female power fantasy somehow. It's the archaic mindset about men having to look strong and women having to look pretty.

NeuroCloud

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
As a man posting in this thread, I just wanted to say thanks to the people highlighting these problems in this thread. I thought I was already aware of most of the ideas highlighted in here, but it seems I've been more unthinkingly unresponsive about it than I realised.

Question: Is it right to be more concerned about mainstream media than niche media (because of it's greater potential to normalise harmful implicit attitudes)?

Jun 2, 2019

SPOILER_unknown.png

My god

Your character is out there fighting fucking monsters, is going to be thrown through mud, ice, rough dirt... And their idea of armor for a huntress is... A bikini with a cowboy hat.

I always choose a male hunter so this went over my radar.

DragonKeeper

Nov 14, 2017
Capcom, you had that internal memo about doing better with your women characters. When's that supposed to kick in because fuck that Wroggi Outfit. I was looking forward to getting to grind Wroggi for the cowboy duds. Not fucking now! I absolutely remember wearing Wroggi gear in 3U and it was more or less fine. What the hell did you do?

There's even a simple solution to this dumb shit that's always been there: the clothes you pick when you create your character. First time playing I assumed that was what your hunter wore under your armor and would affect how much skin was seen. Would solve a lot of these stupid problems if it did work that way but nope. Oh, you chose the long underwear? Have some thigh gaps! Absolute fucking clowns.

(edit: though I may be misremembering Wroggi in 3U too. I'm thinking I just wore the hat because of this very problem.)

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck that monster hunter design. Hadn't world been a step forward in the right direction too? Like not that there weren't bad differences in the some of the women's armor sets, but it was better then some of the previous MH games at least wasn't it?
Its a shame to see them walk backwards.

Zen

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
kaebie Era has a long way to go wrt Anti-Asian racism but I think your posts and the others who called it out here is having a ripple effect. Just wanted to say I appreciated you speaking up at that time.

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017

4GENuQf.gif

kaebie Era has a long way to go wrt Anti-Asian racism but I think your posts and the others who called it out here is having a ripple effect. Just wanted to say I appreciated you speaking up at that time.

oh thanks. Weird coincidence, I was just going through your Valkyrie Profile buyer's guide thread after finally getting a working copy of the PS1 version 👍

Zen

Nov 1, 2017
oh thanks. Weird coincidence, I was just going through your Valkyrie Profile buyer's guide thread after finally getting a working copy of the PS1 version 👍
That is weird lol. I've been meaning to play mine once I finish setting up a shelf for my PS1. Grats on the nice find.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019

Amazing the differences in posts of the couple that came back.

SPOILER_unknown.png

From a quick bare minimum google search: https://horserookie.com/horseback-riding-what-to-wear/#Jeans

You'll want flat inside seams so you don't rub your legs raw against the saddle (been there, done that) and for your jeans to be long enough not to shimmy up your leg and over your boot while you're riding.

Wrangler makes a great jean for ladies called (appropriately) The Ultimate Riding Jean. They also make a Retro Jean for Men that's designed for riding and has great reviews.

Fuck women and their thighs I guess 🤷‍♂️

Naiad

Aug 27, 2020

Being a woman has absolutely nothing to do with your ban and you make all women look bad when you try to play that fuckin card. You could have taken the ban with some manner of decorum and grace, you're an adult and you know what you had said, but instead, you decide to try and play the gender card like you're just automatically owed a free pass because you're a woman in a topic meant for women to talk about the injustices of women portrayed inside the gaming industry.

Nah, gurl. You sink down on your ship alone, we're not coming with you.

Bye, Felicia.

Naiad

Aug 27, 2020
Seeing these costume designs from Monster Hunter takes me back to vanilla Ragnarok Online and yea, at the time the in-game character sprites were very tiny and you could just barely make anything out on them besides hairstyles and hair color, even eye colors were barely noticeable.

But, looking way back on the concept art and thinking on it. Man....some of those designs were heavily skewed too. RO Online had a lot of hit-and-miss issues.

Just some examples: 1st pic - Magician Base Class, 2nd pic - Rune Knight Third Class, 3rd pic - Asura Third Job Class, 4th Pic - Assassin Cross Third Job Class, 5th Pic - Wizard Second Job Class, & 6th Archbishop - Third Job Class.

557f2d510cbb6537ee97325352e5a68d.jpg

08e2a3dc781b7973fc3963fa6af2aec8.jpg

216e143313a6d806940d3736dbdb90df.jpg
2f99bce2a468a5745f24380019aea4a7.jpg

6adb21df16a3804e85ab56aea05a2f22.jpg

The trend is kind of obvious, but I will throw in ONE thing that they did right.

There's ONE WHOLE KNIGHT CLASS WHERE SHE'S GOT PANTS AND NOT A BIKINI. =___=

Cygnus X-1

Oct 28, 2017
I'm here just out of pure curiosity.

In which direction is the conversation going? Is there room for all sorts of (respectful) opionions? Are there guidelines?

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I'm here just out of pure curiosity.

In which direction is the conversation going? Is there room for all sorts of (respectful) opionions? Are there guidelines?

This is so vague that it can't really be answered. The people who post in this thread are not one amalgamated lump that agrees on everything, we disagree with each other sometimes, we have differing opinions.

Have you read the OP? If your respectful opinion is some variant of the men who have come into these threads before with "actually its good for developers to not give women clothing in games", I promise you whatever new unique take you think you have on this has been covered before.

Cygnus X-1

Oct 28, 2017
This is so vague that it can't really be answered. The people who post in this thread are not one amalgamated lump that agrees on everything, we disagree with each other sometimes, we have differing opinions.

Have you read the OP? If your respectful opinion is some variant of the men who have come into these threads before with "actually its good for developers to not give women clothing in games", I promise you whatever new unique take you think you have on this has been covered before.

Any particular conversation going on? I read the guidelines in the OP, so I have no problem with them.

I'd appreciate not being tagged even before starting speaking, you don't know me. Thank you.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Any particular conversation going on? I read the guidelines in the OP, so I have no problem with them.

I'd appreciate not being tagged even before starting speaking, you don't know me. Thank you.

The super vague "is any respectful opinion okay" is often a lead in to someone just posting some shit take. Sorry if I was wrong, but I also didn't accuse you, I just tried to head it off if that is where you were going. You are right that I don't know you, which is why I said "If your opinion is ____". The word If explicitly leaves open that that might not be the case.

Cygnus X-1

Oct 28, 2017
The super vague "is any respectful opinion okay" is often a lead in to someone just posting some shit take. Sorry if I was wrong, but I also didn't accuse you, I just tried to head it off if that is where you were going. You are right that I don't know you, which is why I said "If your opinion is ____". The word If explicitly leaves open that that might not be the case.

No worries, I understand. No offense taken.

Let me ask something less generic then: are there are signs the sexualisation of characters has been diminishing in the past 10-20 years? Is the trend positive/negative?

Jan 2, 2018
Massachusetts
Capcom, you had that internal memo about doing better with your women characters. When's that supposed to kick in because fuck that Wroggi Outfit. I was looking forward to getting to grind Wroggi for the cowboy duds. Not fucking now! I absolutely remember wearing Wroggi gear in 3U and it was more or less fine. What the hell did you do?

There's even a simple solution to this dumb shit that's always been there: the clothes you pick when you create your character. First time playing I assumed that was what your hunter wore under your armor and would affect how much skin was seen. Would solve a lot of these stupid problems if it did work that way but nope. Oh, you chose the long underwear? Have some thigh gaps! Absolute fucking clowns.

(edit: though I may be misremembering Wroggi in 3U too. I'm thinking I just wore the hat because of this very problem.)
There is one workaround, but I wouldn't call it a solution— the character creator doesn't restrict hair/make-up/voices to gender, so you could potentially make a woman using the male base body. It doesn't solve the shit designs being in the game though, and it would mean you're going to get a differently shaped body, so it's at best a "at least now my character doesn't have exposed thighs and boob plate".

deliquate

Teyvat Traveler
Feb 25, 2021
Just gonna say that I'm a woman and I never opt for practical armor. I know that a lot of people WANT it and I would love for everyone to have practical/modest options, but if someone gives me the chance to battle in like a comfy sundress I will TAKE it. I do not care how silly it looks, I just feel so much happier when my characters are wearing cute clothes.

Which is not to say I love it when female characters are stuck with negligees and boob platters and I get really, really miffed about really bouncy boob physics but mostly because I get really monofocused on like, "Have these people ever seen a breast? Breasts obey the laws of gravity, argh."

But in general, if you offered me a choice between a bikini and full coverage plate armor, I'll take the bikini.

neonneongod

Feb 21, 2019
Seeing these costume designs from Monster Hunter takes me back to vanilla Ragnarok Online and yea, at the time the in-game character sprites were very tiny and you could just barely make anything out on them besides hairstyles and hair color, even eye colors were barely noticeable.

But, looking way back on the concept art and thinking on it. Man....some of those designs were heavily skewed too. RO Online had a lot of hit-and-miss issues.

Just some examples: 1st pic - Magician Base Class, 2nd pic - Rune Knight Third Class, 3rd pic - Asura Third Job Class, 4th Pic - Assassin Cross Third Job Class, 5th Pic - Wizard Second Job Class, & 6th Archbishop - Third Job Class.

557f2d510cbb6537ee97325352e5a68d.jpg

08e2a3dc781b7973fc3963fa6af2aec8.jpg

216e143313a6d806940d3736dbdb90df.jpg
2f99bce2a468a5745f24380019aea4a7.jpg

6adb21df16a3804e85ab56aea05a2f22.jpg

The trend is kind of obvious, but I will throw in ONE thing that they did right.

There's ONE WHOLE KNIGHT CLASS WHERE SHE'S GOT PANTS AND NOT A BIKINI. =___=
Ragnarok Online is directly based off of Lee Myung-Jin's manwha Ragnarok, which ended early so he could work on the game. Given the source material, not too surprising - more or less every named female character in said manwha is dressed like so.
bg18snT.jpg

eDgetLZ.jpg

Last edited:

Naiad

Aug 27, 2020
Ragnarok Online is directly based off of Lee Myung-Jin's manwha Ragnarok, which ended early so he could work on the game. Given the source material, not too surprising - more or less every named female character in said manwha is dressed like so.
bg18snT.jpg

eDgetLZ.jpg

I never knew about any of this, good to know, and yea I can definitely see the similarities for sure.

Thanks!

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just gonna say that I'm a woman and I never opt for practical armor. I know that a lot of people WANT it and I would love for everyone to have practical/modest options, but if someone gives me the chance to battle in like a comfy sundress I will TAKE it. I do not care how silly it looks, I just feel so much happier when my characters are wearing cute clothes.

Which is not to say I love it when female characters are stuck with negligees and boob platters and I get really, really miffed about really bouncy boob physics but mostly because I get really monofocused on like, "Have these people ever seen a breast? Breasts obey the laws of gravity, argh."

But in general, if you offered me a choice between a bikini and full coverage plate armor, I'll take the bikini.
For me, I love looking cute irl and have a feminine aesthetic, but I hate this shit in video games where it's targeted just at women. It makes it obvious they think it's more important for women specifically to look attractive or sexy than actually be able to protect themselves. Men however need to look tough and wear something that actually offers them protection from enemies and the elements.

Zen

Nov 1, 2017
The early swordsman job lines in RO are probably the best character designs in the game. I really like them

Swordsman
2e441492c1f9efe9d9cd7fa68bdaf0bc.jpg

Knight
dc7d2928614a393709b1e4cbfc092d0f.jpg

Crusader
d0abf7e25c25fb3cbefbae10d639d771.jpg

But after that, the designs strip away most of the utility

Lord Knight
Lord-Knight-full-1158182.jpg

Paladin
Character-Paladin.jpg

Then we get to the third jobs. Rune knight went through a redesign settling on the last one

Rune Knight
Character-Rune-Knight.jpg

Character-Rune-Knight2.jpg

Overall not super egregious, if typical anime swordswoman fare. Now we come to the final job stage of the Crusader posted above

Royal Guard
Character-Royal-Guard.jpg

The Crusader line just strips away all the armor haha. I guess they thought the big shield was modest enough. I remember another player on a private server back in 2011 complaining about it and wishing she could change the sprite. Which eventually you could. They added alternate job sprites. These are the alt designs

Rune Knight v2
2052193948-RKMale-Female-thumb-png-a7e1f1790699f49efe8292a58b9cb856.png

Royal Guard
295-2956106-female-royal-guard-new-costume-official-illustration-royal-guard-in-ragnarok-online.jpg

neonneongod

Feb 21, 2019
I never knew about any of this, good to know, and yea I can definitely see the similarities for sure.

Thanks!

i found it enjoyable as a lad and there are some cool visuals in it, but yeah. those are the first two female characters introduced in the first chapter (fenris fenrir and sara irine) and the tone is pretty much set.

Last edited:

Samawati

Sep 15, 2019

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019

I just want my characters to look cool, which definitely doesn't equal practical most of the time.

OP
OP
Persephone

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
it's kind of a tricky one wrt looking cute/sexy in games. if it's my choice then hell yeah go for it. if it's forced on me then No Thank You

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
At least some of the npcs of mhr are in a better place
rondine_screenshot1_npcs_monster_hunter_rise_wiki_guide.jpg

monster-hunter-rise-tips-and-tricks-twins-npcs-1024x576.jpg

I havent been to the argosy much yet, or the hub, but the few times I've been in there I've literally stopped what I'm doing to watch the hub quest twins extremely amusing animations.

The guild master or whoever sitting on top of the baby tetsacubra (it's actually a tadpole version) was just going nuts scribbling tons of paper work and flinging it towards the desk, and shes just reading a book or something while no look snatching them all out of the air.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
It's sad that outside of white man, there isn't any consideration for armor and body choices. It's been like this for as long as I remember. Sure, you get lots of choices for (white) women as well, but it usually comes down to "how clotheless do you want to be?"

That cowgirl, underwear model up there shows it's still in full force.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
Spotted an all armour video with a male/female side by side.

Damn you increasing graphical fidelity!

The remobra legs were one of a couple go to options for 'uniform trousers' for me, typically for making a sea captain/buccaneer transmog (more swashbuckling than pirate)

Now they are clearly too shiny and leathery lol.

Armor for women characters seems to range from basically same as the men but without pants, to stripper costumes.

Last edited: