• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Captain America is not the gotcha that you think he is. If anything he's an exception that proves the rule about how men are portrayed in media. Especially in regards to how pointing out his perfect butt is meant to be something the audience is supposed to chuckle at compared to say, Black Widow posters.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Ah, okay. That's true, I never implied there's a balance in the portrayal of male and female characters, though. I'm actually arguing the opposite in the case of KOF.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Captain America is not the gotcha that you think he is. If anything he's an exception that proves the rule about how men are portrayed in media. Especially in regards to how pointing out his perfect butt is meant to be something the audience is supposed to chuckle at compared to say, Black Widow posters.
It reminds me of with smash. The whole thing about Snake's ass became a meme, whereas gamers legitimately got pissed about Samus being "nerfed".

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Ah, okay. That's true, I never implied there's a balance in the portrayal of male and female characters, though. I'm actually arguing the opposite in the case of KOF.
That's my bad as I misread the intent behind posting America's Ass

It reminds me of with smash. The whole thing about Snake's ass became a meme, whereas gamers legitimately got pissed about Samus being "nerfed".
Exactly yea.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
The thing about Hades is that Aphrodite is literally naked and still reads as less offensive than many many fighting game(and other games tbh) women. Which is not especially to praise her design so much as to shit on just how bad fighting games often are.

edit: like compare aphrodite to the fleshpit mileena skin in mk9

dcpt5qf-4ad245b9-903d-4e11-97c6-f5cecdbb8fef.png

These are essentially identical concepts. Naked with strategic strands covering up some bits. But doesn't Mileena just feel so much grosser? This does to me anyway.

Last edited:

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Though I love the Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth series so far, I hope we see massive improvements if it continues when it comes to women. I'm pretty sure women wear clothes other than absurdly tight shirts, a dress with a separated front and back connected with string, and wearing a button up shirt with a solid five buttons undone.

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
Though I love the Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth series so far, I hope we see massive improvements if it continues when it comes to women. I'm pretty sure women wear clothes other than absurdly tight shirts, a dress with a separated front and back connected with string, and wearing a button up shirt with a solid five buttons undone.

That artist's style is just cursed like all the DS1/2 sprites.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
The thing about Hades is that Aphrodite is literally naked and still reads as less offensive than many many fighting game(and other games tbh) women. Which is not especially to praise her design so much as to shit on just how bad fighting games often are.

These are essentially identical concepts. Naked with strategic strands covering up some bits. But doesn't Mileena just feel so much grosser? This does to me anyway.
To me at least, they both look awkward and lazy. It's coding for femininity in a stereotypically sexual way.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

I love Hades' Aphrodite. A lot of depictions of her are in the buff, so I admire Supergiant finding a way to make it work. She's sexy, but her ass isn't towards the screen, she looks genuinely romantic (no puckering lips), and the pink hair curling into hearts is just the right amount of cheese to work the idea along. I think Jen Zee was very careful to design her look and pose, as gaming has a lot of Mileena's but few work the idea of (old school) sex symbol as well as Aphrodite does.

It's nudity, but it's in-character and in relatively good taste.

Actually somewhat similar, I really liked the tasteful nudity for (and surprisingly) Zelda: Twilight Princess's Great Fairy. She really looks like she's out of an old fairy tale and her colouring is made from such a beautiful spectrum of colours. She's relatively tucked away too, which makes her appearance feel that much more rare and otherworldly.

Great-Fairy-Twilight-Princess.png

I feel the lesson here is you can pull this off if you're not a jackass about it. No tiny straps for clothes, no doggy style arching, stop the perverted camera that has to circle around the body... just...be fucking normal/natural with it.

To me at least, they both look awkward and lazy. It's coding for femininity in a stereotypically sexual way.

I mean, no doubt Aphrodite comes from rather antiquated origins. But I feel Mileena has way less excuse (as ""a fighter"" for goodness sakes wearing JUST bandages lol) than Aphrodite (a goddess with a rather established look/origin). I think I'm also good to give it a "pass" because Supergiant ain't "that kind" of studio that would otherwise design a character that way just for the sexy, none of their characters thus far have felt like that.

Last edited:

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020

the thing about aphrodite compared to say that mileena thing is aphrodite is accurate to her mythological inspiration, aphrodite is almost depicted as a highly beautiful half naked or fully naked woman, It's hard to really separate aphrodite from sex, love, and nudity because that is an innate part of her depiction and her name is used for other things that involve those things,

Mileena on the other hand, was there just to have her almost naked and correct me if i am wrong but mileena isn't known for being a highly sexual person but a intensely brutal one, as such it's a hey look a naked costume and not an aphrodite

nded

Nov 14, 2017

The thing about this is you only ever see Aphrodite as a static image. If she were a fully animated fighting game character she would be just as bad as that Mileena skin.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, no doubt Aphrodite comes from rather antiquated origins. But I feel Mileena has way less excuse (as ""a fighter"" for goodness sakes wearing JUST bandages lol) than Aphrodite (a goddess with a rather established look/origin). I think I'm also good to give it a "pass" because Supergiant ain't "that kind" of studio that would otherwise design a character that way just for the sexy, none of their characters thus far have felt like that.
I dunno, this feels like excuses. In my head, when I hear, "well it's from a different time / it's an established look" just reads as, "I don't have enough creativity to not rely on tropes for visual intent." The studio thing is... well. I don't know how much ground I'm willing to give to a studio just because in the past they made some cool stuff.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
the thing about aphrodite compared to say that mileena thing is aphrodite is accurate to her mythological inspiration, aphrodite is almost depicted as a highly beautiful half naked or fully naked woman, It's hard to really separate aphrodite from sex, love, and nudity because that is an innate part of her depiction and her name is used for other things that involve those things,

Mileena on the other hand, was there just to have her almost naked and correct me if i am wrong but mileena isn't known for being a highly sexual person but a intensely brutal one, as such it's a hey look a naked costume and not an aphrodite
Yeah I agree. Aphrodite's design is a good example of tasteful nudity. The design doesn't feel pandering or male-gazey either. I don't see any sexism here.

If anything, I think Aphrodite's design is proof that yes, you can have sexy designs without being trashy and sexist about it.

(Not even a Hades fan, btw!)

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I agree. Aphrodite's design is a good example of tasteful nudity. The design doesn't feel pandering or male-gazey either. I don't see any sexism here.

If anything, I think Aphrodite's design is proof that yes, you can have sexy designs without being trashy and sexist about it.

(Not even a Hades fan, btw!)
What about the coding / design reads this way to you? Something with the line work, facial presentation, lack of full body presentation, visual side-view versus frontal; posing? Something else?

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What about the coding / design reads this way to you? Something with the line work, facial presentation, lack of full body presentation, visual side-view versus frontal; posing? Something else?

It's just... tasteful, I think. Like, she's a bit playful and she's teasing you with her nudity rather than simply being a normally-clothed character that's not wearing anything. That's a big problem with, frankly, a lot of character designs because you really need to ask yourself "why is this character dressed in this way?" and if your only answer is "it appeals to men" then you're on the wrong path.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think framing is a big part of it. At least for me. The way Aphrodite's portrait is drawn, the lines are leading your eyes to her face. I'm really struggling to focus on anything else but her face.

While with that Mileena picture, my eyes are being drawn to the abs. And in game, her body is the most of what you'll be seeing due to the nature of fighting games and the fact the base character design has little else to draw your attention unlike other chars in MK and other fighting games. Her defining trait, her hideous monster face, isn't even noticeable except in X-rays, fatalities and intro and win poses.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
The thing about this is you only ever see Aphrodite as a static image. If she were a fully animated fighting game character she would be just as bad as that Mileena skin.

I think this is kind of a non point though right? The way she is depicted as a static portrait is part of what makes it okay to begin with. I agree that a fully 3d aphrodite moving around would also be gross, but Hades isn't a fully 3d game and that helped make it more okay to depict her the way they did. You have to make different design choices when you are designing characters to be seen in different mediums.
I do think, however, it is worth nothing that Flesh Pit Mileena looks gross in any static image you can find of the costume.

I think framing is a big part of it. At least for me. The way Aphrodite's portrait is drawn, the lines are leading your eyes to her face. I'm really struggling to focus on anything else but her face.

I think this is the biggest part of it to be honest. Aphrodite is nude, but her nudity is not really a focus of the drawing. Despite being naked you can genuinely see less of her body than some plate armor fantasy game women. More hair is used than would be required to cover bits up, her camera facing arm blocks out a lot of her breast in what feels like a natural pose, and there are all these background lines physically centering in all focus on her face.

I think that the art director on Hades was a woman actually really shows in the way Aphrodite was designed compared to similar characters.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017

While with that Mileena picture, my eyes are being drawn to the abs. And in game, her body is the most of what you'll be seeing due to the nature of fighting games and the fact the base character design has little else to draw your attention unlike other chars in MK and other fighting games. Her defining trait, her hideous monster face, isn't even noticeable except in X-rays, fatalities and intro and win poses.
I can appreciate this. Willing to admit my own Catholic upbringing has probably, whether intentional or not, embedded some amount of prudishness in my own reading of visual metaphors. I think it's my own upbringing which has presented this kind of iconography in a way that poisons my personal understanding of these sorts of designs. Always more to learn though, and this is easier for me personally to parse, so thanks for this!

I think back to a game theory episode where Matt "tries" to make a case for sexy designs of characters in games

What he fails to address is the size of certain body parts and design of clothing. By not having a character with large breast it doesn't take the attention from the view from the overall design. Making the clothing better form the character body prevents it from emphasize certain parts.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
I think back to a game theory episode where Matt "tries" to make a case for sexy designs of characters in games

What he fails to address is the size of certain body parts and design of clothing. By not having a character with large breast it doesn't take the attention from the view from the overall design. Making the clothing better form the character body prevents it from emphasize certain parts.

I don't think he was making a case for all sexy characters just Kali specifically because she is the one that surrounded the smite design controversy, and he does somewhat have a point with that kali's historical depiction aren't exactly modest, but i think he also made to her skills also being changed to something also less accurate to Kali. It might have been a while since i watched that video but i believe that's the point was being made

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
I feel the lesson here is you can pull this off if you're not a jackass about it. No tiny straps for clothes, no doggy style arching, stop the perverted camera that has to circle around the body... just...be fucking normal/natural with it.

I feel like this is the biggest thing, young men (myself included), struggle to understand. I feel like I totally get it more and more as I get older.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017

For me Aphrodite works so well here, because the focus lies on her face. It's more towards the middle of the picture, framed by her hands and has the most detail. Although this design wouldn't really work, if she had an ingame model.

Aug 26, 2018
日本
I will say that on this point, you are indeed wrong. They've been using Mileena as kind of a "gotcha" in personality since the mid-2000s. Highly seductive until she a. removes her mask, or b. gets overly bloodthirsty.

The flesh pits outfits works narratively as a stand-in for when she should probably just be naked, since you find her being "born" in a lab.
4476409-7936060749-latest

But the main problem is that when she decides to get dressed, you can still barely call it "an outfit" (par for the course in MK9, really) and the bandage look was made into some kind of grand reward unlock. So, the framing of that overall situation is what pushes it into unacceptable territory for me, at least.

Kenzo

alt account
Banned
Oct 9, 2020
Tsushima
About Leona, it should be noted that gave Leona more muscle tone which seems to be the result of her look in the manga that's gone over really well with fans.

And a comparison

Not quite day and night, but Ogura who is XV's art director now has been pretty hesitant on drawing his woman with muscle (just look at a lot of his XIII and XIV art) so I can appreciate the improvement even if it's rather miniscule.

More fighting game female characters need muscles.
More of characters looking like this...

Less stripper ninjas

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
So, I remember an old thread about it, and I've been playing a few other nu-XCom inspired games, and it was on sale so I grabbed a copy of Troubleshooter on Steam.

It's essentially XCOM+anime made by a Korean studio (Dandylion). I've only played about 2 hours and haven't seen everybody yet, but a lot of the female character designs are pretty...normal? Considering my usual exposure to Korean character designs, which tend to be grossly oversexualized, I was quite surprised. Game is kinda janky but fun. Clearly a case of ambition beating out talent and budget.

e4451376aa3dc3af8d6c223d43f3bc5bcf0839ce.jpg
ss_e229454d8dafd500ca1a545918923a4fec3aeca0.1920x1080.jpg

8b9bd46d97def904612b191108064125-768x432.jpg

So, I remember an old thread about it, and I've been playing a few other nu-XCom inspired games, and it was on sale so I grabbed a copy of Troubleshooter on Steam.

It's essentially XCOM+anime made by a Korean studio (Dandylion). I've only played about 2 hours and haven't seen everybody yet, but a lot of the female character designs are pretty...normal? Considering my usual exposure to Korean character designs, which tend to be grossly oversexualized, I was quite surprised. Game is kinda janky but fun. Clearly a case of ambition beating out talent and budget.

Pretty clean

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl

Speaking of janky nuXcom clones. I really like Maggie Dyrer's design in Empire of Sin.

00ad789224d2f9d3a57f36cd6e58ddb1c2c437b4.png

bluebirb

Jan 5, 2021
I finally decided to join this site after lurking for so long since this topic really interests me. I've tried discussing things like this on another gaming site only to get shouted down and told, "you're not the target audience" and that there's nothing wrong with the status quo. If it's not that then it's talking about how women in western games are so ugly compared to Japanese games.

It's really depressing when I grew up on a lot of Japanese games but now I can't take most of them seriously anymore. They can make characters who are dressed decently yet I still feel unsatisfied when they're all still just generic pretty anime girls that are stick thin. Then I ask myself if I'm just expecting too much... like, as long as they aren't wearing stripper outfits then shouldn't that be good enough for me? I don't know, I just feel that's such a low bar. It's so bad that sometimes I don't even want female characters in certain games if they're just going to be the same shit every time. I think it bothers me less if the characters are pretty as long as they look tasteful and like actual women and not 14 year olds.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
I need to know if they are a couple. ;_; Waiting on new story content to crush my hopes.
I finally decided to join this site after lurking for so long since this topic really interests me. I've tried discussing things like this on another gaming site only to get shouted down and told, "you're not the target audience" and that there's nothing wrong with the status quo. If it's not that then it's talking about how women in western games are so ugly compared to Japanese games.

It's really depressing when I grew up on a lot of Japanese games but now I can't take most of them seriously anymore. They can make characters who are dressed decently yet I still feel unsatisfied when they're all still just generic pretty anime girls that are stick thin. Then I ask myself if I'm just expecting too much... like, as long as they aren't wearing stripper outfits then shouldn't that be good enough for me? I don't know, I just feel that's such a low bar. It's so bad that sometimes I don't even want female characters in certain games if they're just going to be the same shit every time. I think it bothers me less if the characters are pretty as long as they look tasteful and like actual women and not 14 year olds.
Welcome to the thread! You've found the right place to voice these thoughts.
I like these designs yeah. I'm especially a fan of this girl with the white shock of hair. She is SO ANIME looking, but its nice for a character to be overthetop anime and still not be sexualized.
I like Irene's design and from watching my GF play the game, she's a very useful character in the game. She's a lone wolf type (mechanically) character so she thrives off taking on enemies by herself.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Now that I think about it, there was an early access anime xcom game people were talking positively about in this thread several months ago, that must have been this game right? I had meant to check it out and never got around to doing so.

I need to know if they are a couple. ;_; Waiting on new story content to crush my hopes.

I usually don't dare to hope with anime games, but if everything feels cool with this game so far maybe it'll be an exception. We can hope.

I like Irene's design and from watching my GF play the game, she's a very useful character in the game. She's a lone wolf type (mechanically) character so she thrives off taking on enemies by herself.

The assault/ranger were always my favourite class in the recent xcoms. Love that character who can dash out on their own and grab that really pesky enemy before they become a problem.

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
Oh you BDII.

A woman who serves as the "Guardian of the Dragon Cave," a sacred place where the Dragon God is said to inhabit. The Lancer family has served as Guardians of the Dragon Cave for generations.

Bravely-Default-II_2021_01-13-21_004.jpg

Friar of the Rimedahl Church. She and Helio, the Inquisitor, locate fairies deceiving humans and interrogate them. Since her parents were killed by fairies, she continues to hunt fairies for revenge to this very day.

Bravely-Default-II_2021_01-13-21_009.jpg

At least let her wear pants :(

Malakym

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2019
That lancer armour just screams "I desperately want cosplay of this".
Christ man, I just want a job system rpg from SE that isnt going to drive me crazy with anime bullshit tacked on. It's a small comfort that Elvis doesnt seem nearly as insufferable as Ringabel was at least.

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
That lancer armour just screams "I desperately want cosplay of this".
Christ man, I just want a job system rpg from SE that isnt going to drive me crazy with anime bullshit tacked on. It's a small comfort that Elvis doesnt seem nearly as insufferable as Ringabel was at least.

It kinda reminds me of the FFXIV artifact 1 DRG gear w/the open stomach lol.

Also, my eternal suffering how I liked the JPN VA for Ringabel but he was just so creepy along with the conjuror old man.