• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's so funny to me that he also watches The Boys.

3661a9de3500153ef34914917c25c7c680793d9b.gifv

image.png

Last edited:
May 17, 2019
Man, I had so many mixed feelings about Watchmen. Great show, excellent structure, and one of my favorite episodes ever. However, I really don't feel like it should have had any connections to the comic. Didn't feel like Lindeloff really grokked it

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah... He put Watchmen as one of his top shows last year. Deserved too.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Better Call Saul and The Good Place, the man has great taste.

Dultimate

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I had so many mixed feelings about Watchmen. Great show, excellent structure, and one of my favorite episodes ever. However, I really don't feel like it should have had any connections to the comic. Didn't feel like Lindeloff really grokked it

What was the relation to the comics other than name anyway? I was curious about that.

OP
OP
MadLaughter

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Shit, what if I had made the title "Barack Obama endorses Stormfront"

definitely bait-y but man

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
It's a continuation, I don't know how you would make it and not make it have some connections. If anything it uses the comic as a vehicle for a completely different set of problems that plague the world. Even if it is connected, it feels so disconnected from the original.

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool
I mean, at its best I kind of think The Boys is lampooning the exact kind of corporate oligarchy that Obama served during his presidency. I imagine he doesn't internalize that when he watches it, just like how the broader critiques of the failed American infrastructure in The Wire don't prevent him from loving that show, but it still shows a kind of cognitive dissonance.

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool
I mean, at its best I kind of think The Boys is lampooning the exact kind of corporate oligarchy that Obama served during his presidency. I imagine he doesn't internalize that when he watches it, just like how the broader critiques of the failed American infrastructure in The Wire don't prevent him from loving that show, but it still shows a kind of cognitive dissonance.
Also, foreign policy wise, Obama kind of is Homelander...

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
The Boys and The Watchmen are up there as some of the best superhero media in film/television in the last century tbh. I defo prefer it over most of the movies I watch out of the Marvel and DC properties

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I remember he put it in his list, cool to see people appreciate The Boys too. I remember when both shows was announced and I thought I wouldn't like any of them, I'm so glad I was wrong. Please come back Watchmen.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

He understands perfectly well what those shows are about. Unfortunately, he is not God Emperor of the world or the USA. What exactly did you think he could get done with a Republican controlled Senate? He couldn't even seat a Supreme Court Justice.

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Watchmen is indeed spectacular. I rewatched it twice over the summer and it was better with each viewing.

I'm less of a fan of The Boys, but I get why it's acclaimed.

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool
He understands perfectly well what those shows are about. Unfortunately, he is not God Emperor of the world or the USA. What exactly did you think he could get done with a Republican controlled Senate? He couldn't even seat a Supreme Court Justice.

He could have tried at all to hold Wall Street accountable or not bail out the auto industry.

Or not drone bomb Yemeni weddings.

He's not the God emperor to us but he may as well have been to Afghani children who grew up fearing cloudless days.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
He could have tried at all to hold Wall Street accountable or not bail out the auto industry.

Or not drone bomb Yemeni weddings.

He's not the God emperor to us but he may as well have been to Afghani children who grew up fearing cloudless days.

Hold Wall Street accountable? Sure, he could've done that although he had his reasons. I don't agree with those reasons but they can't be outright dismissed.

Not bail out the auto-industry? Why the fuck would he not do that?

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've still yet to see The Boys (don't fret, it's on my long list of things to watch), but The Good Place, Better Call Saul, and The Watchmen are all top tier shows. 44's got very good taste.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
User warned: Thread-whining
Can't imagine caring about this. He's a person that watches popular tv shows. So?

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020

Yeah, it was an odd use of the IP and really just felt like, 'we have this well known property and superheroes are big now so might as well attach it to this unrelated story for more eyeballs' or something like that. May or may not have been how it actually happened but that's how it felt

But anyway, yeah. Obama.

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool
Why on Earth would he have not bailed out the auto industry? That saved thousands of jobs and the economies of several large cities.
It went straight to executives, those people all got screwed anyway.
Hold Wall Street accountable? Sure, he could've done that although he had his reasons. I don't agree with those reasons but they can't be outright dismissed.

Not bail out the auto-industry? Why the fuck would he not do that?

A 10.3 billion dollar bailout lining the pockets of executives, allowing them to decimate labor costs and run the unions out of town? What could go wrong? It's not the bailout in and of itself that was the problem, it was the mentality and execution. It was never designed to actually save working people or even retain jobs in the long run. Just look at where GM and the rest are now. Obama served the oligopoly, not the people. Just because he vibes and has chill spotify lists and watches the golden age of TV with the rest of us does not make him our friend.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
It went straight to executives, those people all got screwed anyway.

A 10.3 billion dollar bailout lining the pockets of executives, allowing them to decimate labor costs and run the unions out of town? What could go wrong? It's not the bailout in and of itself that was the problem, it was the mentality and execution. It was never designed to actually save working people or even retain jobs in the long run. Just look at where GM and the rest are now. Obama served the oligopoly, not the people. Just because he vibes and has chill spotify lists and watches the golden age of TV with the rest of us does not make him our friend.

His job was to recover the American economy from the worst financial disaster since The Great Depression. He can't prevent GM from cutting jobs in the long run, but the bailout did keep jobs afloat in the short-term and saved the American auto-industry. It's kinda hard to argue that he should've just let them collapse in the middle of the Great Recession.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
It's a sequel set 30 years later. Ozymandias, Silk Specter, and a few others return. My problem is that it does nothing to address the themes or idea of the original comic, but in mundane callbacks. It just doesn't measure up.
Idk it basically addresses the same issues/themes but with heavy emphasis on racism.

Chadtwo

Oct 29, 2017

seriously how is this not people's takeaway instead of "huh good taste." It's like Paul Ryan being into rage against the machine

RocketKiss

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
He would. Guy likes cop propaganda and hollow things under a shiny guise which have no deep meaning or truths.