• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who was the most boring DLC newcomer to Smash Ultimate?

• Hero

Votes: 105 5.0%
  • Byleth

Votes: 1,093 52.5%
  • Min Min

Votes: 123 5.9%
  • Steve

Votes: 225 10.8%
  • Pyra

Votes: 151 7.3%
  • Kazuya

Votes: 306 14.7%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 79 3.8%

• Total voters

Kahhhhyle

Jun 8, 2021
For me personally any fighting game character. So I voted Kazuya.

In terms of play style Steve is literally the campiest character in the game. Like I honestly HATE how people play him.

Objectively it's gotta be Byleth... For all the reasons stated.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
One of the most anticipated characters? No?
Yes, because he's boring and I don't like playing as him. I've barely touched him outside of one round of Classic Mode. Meanwhile, I've had tons of fun with Byleth, who is easily my most played character at this point.

Also, you put Kazuya in the poll before he even released. Like, dude, what?

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Terry is fun. Kazuya is kinda boring even if he makes sense in terms of franchise significance, but Byleth is the answer.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, because he's boring and I don't like playing as him. I've barely touched him outside of one round of Classic Mode. Meanwhile, I've had tons of fun with Byleth, who is easily my most played character at this point.

Also, you put Kazuya in the poll before he even released. Like, dude, what?

What about this thread makes you think it's about characters you do or don't like actually playing as?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kazuya's only really boring to me in the sense that I've been expecting another Bamco character for three years now and of that list Tekken seemed like the surest shot.

I'm probably not gonna play him, I can barely play Terry and Kazuya is almost certainly going to be even more complex, but I ain't gonna deny that he's a cool ass character with one of the best trailers yet.

Also it's fun that Smash is now even more of a Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale than the one Sony made.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Byleth easily, the trailer was awful, don't get why they had to use the shitty and lifeless TH cutscenes, the fact that they tried to do another bait-and-switch that took a minute and half to "reveal" they were in made it worse, not helped by the dumb idea of making also a "reveal" for F!Byleth, like i know they tried to be clever since their names are spelled differently in Japan but they should have known that the idea of making a "reveal" for alt costume that everyone expected is dumb

Last edited:

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Joker for me, as it barely represented Nintendo more than any of the other ones they picked to this date. Literally no SMT representation whatsoever, all a big ad for a game that's still PS4 exclusive. Strikers kinda helps but even then joker could have been so much better with more general SMT love and even Persona 1/2/Q representation

Aurora

Jul 22, 2018
Lemuria
I was really disappointed in seeing Mewtwo, Lucas and Roy being DLC because they wasted three slots on characters that were in previous Smash games and thus they brought nothing new to the table.

Mario_Bones

Oct 31, 2017
Australia
Byleth was a boring character choice with a trailer that didn't bother for a second to have anything up its sleeve, it was like they knew this was a character they were adding out of obligation. Even Sakurai joked about the fact it was another Fire Emblem character.

If Three Houses really needed a representative they could have picked literally any other character in the game and gotten a more positive reaction lol. If they'd picked Edelgard they might have even gotten an overall positive reaction for the female representation, and people seem to love playing as villains too.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Byleth is awesome, idk why people are saying them so much.
As mentioned earlier, Byleth is yet another male-by-default FE avatar. If they at least made Byleth female by default, they would've stood out a bit more (Lucina is currently the only primarily-female FE character). But ideally, Edelgard (a female villain) or Claude (a person of color who's also an archer) would've been better picks.

Oct 29, 2017
USA
I like playing as Byleth for fun sometimes, but they were definitely the most boring choice. I wouldn't even call them the safe pick from Three Houses. That would have been Edelgard. They instead chose the voiceless bland avatar protag. The good news was they did try to make them differ enough from the other FE characters.

Hero turned out to be my least favorite DLC due to his he was implemented. They were so close to something interesting but then they had to add the randomness factor. 😞

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
Byleth even though their toolset is incredibly fun. It's just that no one wanted another FE rep. (They have far, far too many.)

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
As mentioned earlier, Byleth is yet another male-by-default FE avatar. If they at least made Byleth female by default, they would've stood out a bit more (Lucina is currently the only primarily-female FE character). But ideally, Edelgard (a female villain) or Claude (a person of color who's also an archer) would've been better picks.

She's fun to play and has a good design so idk what more people need to make her better than most of the other DLC.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really my only problem with the poll is that Steve should swap places with Terry. The notion of Steve as a boring pick is absolutely filtered through ERA being a hub for Geriatric Millennials, whereas everyone under the age of 25 was confused about Terry (albeit Terry did end up proving himself a beloved dark horse).

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Byleth for the actual reveal. I can't think of a more boring character they could have picked.

But in game? Probably Min Min. She really doesn't suit my playstyle and I kind of hate fighting against her. Plus it should have been Twintelle.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Banjo-Kazooie, to me. I get that a lot of people were hyped by the announcement and I love Banjo's N64 games but given that the rights holders don't care about the franchise, why should I? This act of necromancy just rings hollow to me since there's practically no other activity from the franchise.

On top of that, their playstyle, while well translated, is just absolutely boring to me. It's this awkward combination of Mario and Snake while not being as well realized as either of them.

Also it's fun that Smash is now even more of a Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale than the one Sony made.

Not really without Sony first party characters. You know, the real Playstation All-Stars.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
But in game? Probably Min Min. She really doesn't suit my playstyle and I kind of hate fighting against her. Plus it should have been Twintelle.
To be fair…
Min Min is at least Smash's first Chinese character, so she deserves credit there.
So while I agree that Twintelle would've been better, Min Min was easily the 2nd best ARMS pick they could've made (WAY better than Sakurai's alternative, that being Ninjara).

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Fighting game characters all have the same damn gimmick to the point that someone would be forgiven for thinking Ryu, Terry, and Kazuya all come from the same franchise.
They'd get no sympathy from me. It's about the same as thinking Banjo & Kazooie are Mario or Donkey Kong characters because they've starred in the same genre, have some similar moves and a generally simple playstyle.

What about this thread makes you think it's about characters you do or don't like actually playing as?
The question this thread is asking is a subjective one, there's no objective answer, so of course personal preference and enjoyment are part of it???

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Sephiroth. He's cooler though.
Sephiroth is pretty cool, yes. The implication that he shows up in Smash just to mess with Cloud some more is funny. He never did present an invitation.

But the other half is getting FF7 music as part of the package. There are some bangers in that, and they can go on Midgard, too!

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Banjo-Kazooie, to me. I get that a lot of people were hyped by the announcement and I love Banjo's N64 games but given that the rights holders don't care about the franchise, why should I? This act of necromancy just rings hollow to me since there's practically no other activity from the franchise.

On top of that, their playstyle, while well translated, is just absolutely boring to me. It's this awkward combination of Mario and Snake while not being as well realized as either of them.

Not really without Sony first party characters. You know, the real Playstation All-Stars.

When I think of the defining icons of the Playstation I definitely think of Nariko instead of Crash Bandicoot, Snake or Cloud.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
A tie between Byleth and Kazuya for me.

Byleth is pretty self explanatory and Kazuya has cemented my dislike for fighting game characters in Smash. Fighting game characters all have the same damn gimmick to the point that someone would be forgiven for thinking Ryu, Terry, and Kazuya all come from the same franchise.
Concerns of violence and NRS' work culture aside, how would you feel about Liu Kang from Mortal Kombat if he brought a stance system and his nunchaku with him?

Byleth is the only old IP to get a new character so yeah
How do we define old, because Xenoblade and yes, even Mario got new characters in the DLC.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Easily Terry, without a doubt. I voted Hero tho, since Terry was relegated to "Other"

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Suprised I haven't seen anyone pick ol 'Sephie. Even as a joke choice.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
byleth.

• 8th (9th?) FE character
  • The most expected character from their game
  • The least interesting char from their game
  • Only marginally unique moveset compared to other newcomers
  • Last character of the first fighters pass
Suprised I haven't seen anyone pick ol 'Sephie. Even as a joke choice.

Too unexpected because of SE'sminimal representation

Last edited:

TwoPikachus

Nov 15, 2018
Really my only problem with the poll is that Steve should swap places with Terry. The notion of Steve as a boring pick is absolutely filtered through ERA being a hub for Geriatric Millennials, whereas everyone under the age of 25 was confused about Terry (albeit Terry did end up proving himself a beloved dark horse).
It's amazing how defensively venemous zoomers get about Steve.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
Byleth, boring slow gameplay, wasted opportunity for a cool as fuck Pokémon Trainer like Fire Emblem character with the House leaders, no personality.

It's not even close. My second place would be Banjo.

Wait, why is Kazuya even here? We know nothing about how he plays.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Banjo and Hero.

Don't care for the characters or the series they're from, bonus points that I'm not a fan of how they play. The worst case for everyone else was "eh, alright then" and how they play was ok.

May 17, 2020
Banjo. He's dull to play as and his games were overrated. They were good for their time, but he's only relevant anymore because of millennial nostalgia. Era is just full of millennials, so he was a big deal here.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No idea why you would immediately go to Nariko instead of Ratchet, Kratos or Nathan Drake but alright

I am resentful of the fact that Sony's IP farm is so dank ass it has to rely on nothingburgers like that.

It's amazing how defensively venemous zoomers get about Steve.

I know this is going to be hard for you to cope with because it was hard for me, but "lmao you're young" isn't the go-to burn you're hoping it is when talking about a children's video game like Smash Bros.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Concerns of violence and NRS' work culture aside, how would you feel about Liu Kang from Mortal Kombat if he brought a stance system and his nunchaku with him?
I feel like MK's special notations are so different from the fighting game norm by just being two directional inputs that he wouldn't have the same input gimmick as the others so I would probably enjoy a MK character. I'd also like it if he didn't have the gimmick of always facing his opponent in a 1v1 match.

Though if a MK character got in I imagine Boon would push hard for Scorpion.