• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Sells More???

• Rise > World

Votes: 108 9.2%
  • World > Rise

Votes: 563 47.8%
  • Rise >>> World

Votes: 19 1.6%
  • World >>> Rise

Votes: 466 39.6%
  • Rise = World

Votes: 22 1.9%

• Total voters

ArcaneStar_

Sep 14, 2018
it is obviously gonna be World and it is absolutely fine if Rise sells less, i'm pretty sure capcom won't suffer if rise sells "only" 6 million copies worldwide.

but i'm sure the console warriors of this forum will make a huge fucking drama based on it so I'm gonna make some popcorn to read the future threads, anyone want some?

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
If Rise sells half as many copies as World that would be a very good result and surely make Capcom extremely happy.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Is this a troll thread? MHW is the the best selling Capcom games of all time. Rise is basically a Switch-only version.

Ultra

Oct 30, 2017
It won't outsell world.

However, it will absolutely outsell any single platform for World.

OP
OP
Tbone5189

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
So G-Version won't count, but the boost of World from Iceborne does?

Like I get it, but it seems a bit unfair as "Monster Hunter World + Iceborne" bundles means sales go to Monster Hunter World, but Rise-G won't count.

Of course I'm excluding iceborne. That's why I didn't add numbers cuz I'm not sure of total sales count

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
World is on more platforms
Though rise probably deserves it more (I guess we'll see but it looks like a better experience than world to me)
I don't know if switch and PC can out sell PS4 xbox and PC

If I had to put money ... probably world ... I 'm almost certain there were a TON of first time hype buyers that will NOT be coming back for more

Last edited:

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
The biggest unknown quantity besides general quality is how many PCs will be able to run Rise that couldn't run World. If the game is great, I could see it having a wider base that lets it make up for the lack of platforms. That being said, even with the Switch beasting, I'd be surprised if it manages to do as well as World. Not because it will disapoint but because World was honestly a breakthrough hit.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm baffled anyone chose Rise LOL

World's LTD is going to be 18-20M. I can see Rise doing a bit more than half of that as a generous high estimate.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Monster Hunter World is Capcom's best selling game of all time. By asking this question, you are asking, "Will Monster Hunter Rise become Capcom's greatest selling game of all time?"

No shot.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
World, no question IMO.

But average per platform, I think Rise might be higher. Either way, i think both games are going to be the 2 best selling Capcom games ever. Until the next MH comes out at least.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
After seeing animal crossing's numbers, I'd say Rise. It will only be after the PC port comes out but over time I think Rise. Itll do gangbusters in japan

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
Japan is the key here.

Very few, and I mean very few elite 3rd party properties have found themselves in such a position as Monster Hunter does here. The possibility of such incredible sales potential such as Monster Hunter could have on a market leading console will be a sight to behold, and I can only think of Dragon Quest as to having similar sales potential. I'm talking Animal Crossing type numbers, I honestly the think the sky is the limit here, Japan wise, and can certainly balance lower sales elsewhere in the world.

Should be a fun time.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
World was such an explosive growth for the franchise, it's hard to see the immediate next entry(and one that is kind of perceived as a lesser entry by newer fans) performing as well. Even World 2 will probably not do as well tbh.

I think the big aspect here is whether or not all of the first time MH buyers from World actually want to stick with the series, and also were invested enough to buy a new one so soon. Given what the game generally entails, and the time investment, a lot may hold off or just wait for the World sequel as they are burnt out from World.

Since we know that a majority of Switch owners also own another platform, it stands to reason that Rise should perform very well if World convinced new comers to stick with the series. And obviously PC will be an even bigger factor for sales given that it's not releasing on the other consoles. I think it clears 10m pretty easily, but probably doesn't catch World.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Was about to say "what kind of question is this" but then I saw who the OP was and now I'm not so sure šŸ¤”

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
MHR on Switch/PC won't outsell MHW on PS/Xbox/PC worldwide.

However, it will get the highest single platform sales by a long way, outsell MHW by a huge amount in Japan, and end up sitting comfortably as Capcom's second-best selling title on a much lower dev budget.

At this point it just goes to show that Capcom's plans for the series in the last few years have been pretty solid.

Oh, and MH Stories 2 will outsell MH Stories by a load too.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
basing my hypothesis on generations sales.

Generations Ultimate on Switch has significantly outsold Generations on 3DS outside of Japan, despite being a 3DS port released after World. Rise should significantly outperform it outside of Japan.

It should probably outperform it in Japan as well. Generations was a best-of title and Switch had already had Tri G, 4 and 4G by that point. Switch is also proven to possibly be stronger than 3DS in Japan.

Oct 25, 2017
World will obviously end up with higher lifetime sales than Rise, just by virtue of being on more platforms. That said, I think Rise will end up a lot closer than most would think.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming world. Also curious, is there no sequel to world coming then? The changes were enough to finally make it click for me and I was hoping for more.

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
How, possibly, could a Switch Exclusive title outsell a PS4/XBone/PC title? Like, that's pretty ludicrous of a threshold. Will it outsell World in Japan? 90% chance. Will it outsell World elsewhere? Not a chance.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Singel Platform Sales will be Rise Switch. But all platform sales together will totally be World.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming world. Also curious, is there no sequel to world coming then? The changes were enough to finally make it click for me and I was hoping for more.

There is, there's two teams on Monster Hunter. Rise is carrying over a lot of World's advancements anyway.
How, possibly, could a Switch Exclusive title outsell a PS4/XBone/PC title? Like, that's pretty ludicrous of a threshold. Will it outsell World in Japan? 90% chance. Will it outsell World elsewhere? Not a chance.

To be fair there's a bunch of Switch exclusives that have outsold Monster Hunter World, even if Rise won't be one of them.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
While its no guatenteee you do know switch is sitting on several 20 million+ sellers and counting right?

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
MH takes 4-5 years to develop the mainline games, the second team handles the usually portable inter-generation titles.
Ah that makes sense. Tbh I'd never thought about them using split teams for it since I've only dipped into a few here and there to see if I take to them so I'd not really considered their output being handled separately by platforms.

There is, there's two teams on Monster Hunter. Rise is carrying over a lot of World's advancements anyway.
Oh perfect! I may have to grab rise too then. May have to go PC though as realistically since AC released the Switch is no longer mine lol

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
it is obviously gonna be World and it is absolutely fine if Rise sells less, i'm pretty sure capcom won't suffer if rise sells "only" 6 million copies worldwide.

but i'm sure the console warriors of this forum will make a huge fucking drama based on it so I'm gonna make some popcorn to read the future threads, anyone want some?
I get the point you're making but I don't think it's possible for it to sell that low
Is this a troll thread? MHW is the the best selling Capcom games of all time. Rise is basically a Switch-only version.
PC version won't sell anything?

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
While its no guatenteee you do know switch is sitting on several 20 million+ sellers and counting right?
Oh totally, it's a massive seller & I have no doubt Rise'll be the most successful title (especially in Japan) on a Nintendo platform. As others said, lifetime sales on multiplatform games are incredibly hard to beat. Rise is gonna be massive, just really hard to beat out the influence of the other consoles.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
World is on more platforms but Rise having less demanding specs on PC will probably make it sell more in China. Ultimately, World will sell more but not much more.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
The last 3-4 years taught me to not underestimate the Switch and its games. If Rise explodes like AC did in Japan, yeah, I can see it.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
Generations Ultimate on Switch has significantly outsold Generations on 3DS outside of Japan, despite being a 3DS port released after World. Rise should significantly outperform it outside of Japan.

It should probably outperform it in Japan as well. Generations was a best-of title and Switch had already had Tri G, 4 and 4G by that point. Switch is also proven to possibly be stronger than 3DS in Japan.

I know that it will outsell generations, and perform better. But not world.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I think Rise can get close to World sales wise. It will be on a very popular console, and the system requirements for the PC version will be lower than World most likely, which will make it more easily accessible there.