• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I wanna hear about those gaming sessions that will always be good memories. Personally I had a complete blast playing the Disney Villainous game the first time. Somehow ended up playing with a full group of people drinking and learning how that weird-ass game worked. Ended up being a 2 hour long game but everyone had a great time. Zombicide is another great one.

Deleted member 11822

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Skull
Dragonwood
Munchkin [my set has a card in it that says "<friends full name> is not allowed to win this game of munchkin", son of a bitch decided not to play a card in a previous game, looked me in the eyes and said, "Nah, I'll LET YOU win this game."]

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have plenty of memorable battles in Carcassonne where the top 2-3 players were only a couple points apart. The most bonkers matches are the ones where 2 or 3 people have to sacrifice an insane amount of men to conquer a large terrain while the others are busy hoarding points with towns, cathedrals and whatnot. Such plot twists at times. Game never gets old to me.

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
Here are a few:
  • Catan -- I know everyone plays this but my board game group still opens with it out of tradition and we've been playing pretty consistently since 2010. We've played with most of the expansions but then regressed back into the base game
  • Dominion -- probably my favorite in-box deck building game. We have several expansions and I really enjoy playing this one. I even made my own mini version in Java
  • Bohnanza -- bean trading game that's a lot of fun
  • Puerto Rico -- really fun game with farming and selling of resources and an interesting turn system. This one takes a while but we all really enjoy it
  • Kingdom Builder -- a really chill game we like to close with. You don't have to think too much and the board and pieces are really aesthetic
  • Carcassonne -- good to play when drinking wine
  • PIT -- crazy loud and fun game
I assume you don't mean TCGs so I'll leave those out.

Jakke_Koala

Sep 28, 2018
Descent: Journey into darkness

It's a tabletop RPG where one player is the Overlord/game master and up to 4 people are the heroes. You have about 5 campaings with multiple quests. You level your character and buy new gear and stuff.

Been playing it every 2 weeks with the same people this year. It's really great actually.
Now waiting for my turn to be Overlord so i can kick my friends' asses.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably Catan. Easy to play and tons of fun

My personal fave though is probably, The Last Night on Earth. It's like playing a Romero zombie flick.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
Fury of Dracula. We were up to 5 am playing this one night and didn't wanna stop.

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
Probably too 'standard' of games but most fun for me is playing hearts or euchre at family gatherings.

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Agricola
Really tight and tense game known for inducing stress because of the limited decisions available. You take your worker and place it on an action space. Once this has been done, no other player may take the action that round. This has caused many moments where someone curses after several moments of silence.

agri3.jpg

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
51M40WWRDVL.jpg

Bohnanza, no question. Gather any number of adults (or older kids) around a table, break out Bohnanza, and you've got yourself a good time.

It has everything: scheming, luck, planning, competing, collaborating, role playing. I honestly think it's a perfect game.

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
A1iZqejs9FL._SX466_.jpg

No game comes even close to me for being super immersive and thematic. The amount of plays I have in this double or triple any other game, easily.

UCBooties

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
My group had been playing Arkham Horror for years and we've never gotten bored of it. (Having all the expansions helps).

As for most fun single play session? Probably the first time I played Tokaido because it was with a group of very dear friends and I was drinking awamori and literally ended up playing my turns from under the table.

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Bloodrage is our most played game and even though it's fairly short (1-1.5 hrs) the possibilities and ways to win in this game are very deep.

Potion Explosion if we want some great filler.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Space Hulk was my favorite table top game for almost 30 years. Zombicide has overtaken it in the past couple of years. There is just so much content. No game is ever the same. I like the narrative that is created as you play, the freedom to mix/match and build upon the huge quantity of tiles/enemies/survivors. It's just a lovely sand box oozing with theme and every game has amazing moments that linger long after the game is put away. I also love the co-op nature of the game and the hobby side is extremely satisfying. I have fully painted my modern Zombicide, which includes all available content (400+ minis). I am working on fantasy Zombicide and am well over half way finished painting that (600+ minis). The sci fi version, Invader, should be arriving on my doorstep very soon. I have an *all in* pledge. Last night I also grabbed a few copies of the TMNT crossover packs and I am eager to get my hands on them. Of course, Zombicide 2.0 is on the horizon as well as a Night of the Living Dead themed version and also a role playing game.

P2PbbdA.jpg

Last edited:

HulkMansfield

Dec 29, 2017
Two most wild games we tend to have are in either:
Scythe - factory battles towards the end get intense
Root - The ebb and flow of the board is never duplicated and the tension gets pretty real

I also have Twilight Struggle and played my fiancee in it once. She was so stressed out that we had to keep stopping and coming back to it. Took 3 days to finish when she finally conquered Europe as the Soviets. But I kept Cuba so I'll take it.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
The Munchkin Card game. A premise so simple yet you can apply really deep tactics, schemes, long plays and screw people over because they screwed you over.

Sushi Go
Catan
The Game of Thrones board game
Arkham Horror but it takes a long time setting things up for what usually ends up in us getting sucked in to voids and being eaten by elder gods within 15 minutes.

I probably forgot a few because I have a whole closet full of board and card games I rarely play.

A1iZqejs9FL._SX466_.jpg

No game comes even close to me for being super immersive and thematic. The amount of plays I have in this double or triple any other game, easily.

I still mean to get that one sometime, is it easy to get in to and to introduce to people in a evening?

Oct 25, 2017
Quite a few!

Spirit Island
Betrayal Legacy - this is bonkers and will definitely need a dedicated group to play over several sessions. It's a lot of fun, though, and you physically destroy some of the game cards in the process... first time I ripped up a card was a very weird feeling lol.
Unstable Unicorns is also a lot of fun if you enjoy screwing over your friends.
Mysterium is also a trip to play and led to a lot of hilarious moments.

We get together every week to play board games so I've played a bunch by now.

Oh, also, The Captain is Dead is a fun co-op board game, especially if you like Star Trek.

excowboy

Oct 29, 2017
Fury of Dracula. We were up to 5 am playing this one night and didn't wanna stop.

This is definitely up there for me, but my top picks would be:

Inis - players compete to be the most powerful Celtic tribe. It just has great options for swinging a win and screwing with everyone but a perfect amount of visible info so you always know what's happening.

Netrunner - my friend and I went halves on the original core set a few years back and still enjoy playing it together. The best bit is every game has moments for each player to pull off some clever or unexpected move, and then after the game you can spend just as long talking about what happened/you think happened/could have happened.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My favorite board game is Ticket to Ride. It's like casual Risk where nobody gets mad at each other.

My favorite card game is this alternate version of Canasta called Bolivia. I think it's technically an alternate version of Samba, which itself is an alternate version of Canasta. But I play it with my grandma every time I visit.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Agricola
Really tight and tense game known for inducing stress because of the limited decisions available. You take your worker and place it on an action space. Once this has been done, no other player may take the action that round. This has caused many moments where someone curses after several moments of silence.

agri3.jpg
My friends really love this game. I suck so hard at it, I hate it. It's a cool game but always losing gets you frustrated over time. It's too stressful for me.

I really like Battlestar Galactica. Eldrich Horror is also pretty sweet.

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
Ascension: Chronicles of the Godslayer (or something like that, it's been a while) was my first foray into the deck building games thing and left a very good impression.

Had some good times with Talisman. Also why I think the "How long will a game take" things on boxes are nothing but lies.

I enjoyed Sentinels of the Multiverse the one time I got to play it.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Recently, Exploding Kittens. Jenga too, but I'm not sure if that counts. Fun times when everyone is drinking and trying to be precise.

Decades ago, I had a lot of fun playing Axis and Allies. Game took about a year to set up, but the payoff was great if you had 4 friends to play with.

Chess is of course great. I don't play much nowadays, because I don't really have any friends who play it. I know there are online options a plenty, but it's just not the same as sitting down to a board.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
One of the funniest games I've played is definitely cards against humanity. Most of the humor can be pretty dark, and while some of it is pretty hit or miss, it can be hilariously awesome. One I'll always remember was "hey reddit, I'm __invading Poland__, ask me anything". Just fit so perfectly, it made so much sense. And since my country, the Netherlands, was invaded as well we're allowed to laugh about it.

Another favorite is of course Risk, but a group of friends actually made a playing board as a birthday gift, but in stead of the world it was a map of Holland. With the provinces in stead of the continents. It was awesome, but unfortunately I lost it somewhere moving.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Ticket to ride ( europe ) & codenames mostly because of how easy it is to get on the table with pretty uch everyone, so I get to play with my parents or/and little cousins. It makes family gathering so much more fun. If I had to choose one I'd say codenames, which inherently lead to more interaction, it's an amazing feeling when you and your partner(s) are exactly on the same vibe.

Then there is both Hogwarts Battle and Kingdom death Monster, for the sleepless nights ( or close to ) spent with my brother on both.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love Monopoly. It can get chaotic and can either end quickly or drag on for hours. I played it for the first time in years a few weeks ago and had all the airports, no other property, and managed to beat out five other people and end the game with $60 million dollars. It was great. Those damn airports are killer, man!

EVA-02

Alt account
Banned
Jul 19, 2019
pic3163924.jpg

Was out first proper board game when it released, we spent 12 hours on it and learning together was just as much fun as proper playing it

And that Rise of Fenris expansion with the segret boxes, new faction and stuff, so good

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
One of the funniest games I've played is definitely cards against humanity. Most of the humor can be pretty dark, and while some of it is pretty hit or miss, it can be hilariously awesome. One I'll always remember was "hey reddit, I'm __invading Poland__, ask me anything". Just fit so perfectly, it made so much sense. And since my country, the Netherlands, was invaded as well we're allowed to laugh about it.

CAH is definitely my favorite card game to play, but it has to be with the right people. Actually I've found that it's a pretty good predictor of compatibility in terms of friendship (maybe more???). The person who plays or picks "anal orgasms" for "Barack Obama's next memoir:" is probably not going to wind up in conversation with me.

Var

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Magic the gathering from Unlimited up to Weatherlight for card games. Betrayal at House on the Hill and Robinson Crusoe both for board games.

Oct 25, 2017
Me and some friends recently tried this out:
81IDj0Sj5NL._SX466_.jpg

It's soooo much fun. It's basically the great escape in board game form.It's semi cooperative too which makes it slightly different than usual board games. Once you figure it out and the prisoners get into the groove the game gets crazy. We basically started stocking up insane amounts of rope, passing them off to a player who was safe, having them hand it off whenever he was in danger and we set up so many escape routes to split up the guards and then we just had two players running hard interference and decking every guard and getting thrown in solitary.

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
A1uu0B%2BprpL._SX425_.jpg

You probably can't get a copy now. But Warhammer Quest, easily. Greatest co-op RPG board game ever.

Last edited:

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Easily The Resistance Avalon

1542840080775-EQJJ1YXDID1NGTQJYWX4

Great social traitor game. Good length (~30 mins / game). Infinite replayability. Lots of roles and options to tweak the balance. Supports 5-10 players.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Arkham Horror: The Card Game. It's one of those where I inherently adore the very mechanics, there's so much scope for expansions to do really interesting things with them (and many do; heck, the second scenario in the core pack plays out like a mini-Pandemic, for instance)

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
I have plenty of memorable battles in Carcassonne where the top 2-3 players were only a couple points apart. The most bonkers matches are the ones where 2 or 3 people have to sacrifice an insane amount of men to conquer a large terrain while the others are busy hoarding points with towns, cathedrals and whatnot. Such plot twists at times. Game never gets old to me.
This. Placing a tile that can link two fields so you nab it from your competitor is gold.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Euchre, easily. Although it seems like the only people who know how to play are from Indiana or have known people from Indiana who taught them.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This. Placing a tile that can link two fields so you nab it from your competitor is gold.

People complain about +4 in Uno, but the real friendship breaker is when you manage to connect a small terrain onto the big one that connects 80% of the towns on the board with like 1-2 tiles remaining, with that man that turns the terrain into 100% yours. Oh you were planning to win with those extra 90 points? Let me take those real quick and win instead while you finish like 4th because you used like 5 men to get it in the first place and wasted a lot of city-building opportunities. Evil stuff.