• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Separate region versions for initial release - fine. But besides that, what games only exist in their initial release form, and no other?

And the best game of this kind?

- In other words - what NEEDS a port/remake the most?

Edit: Any game that has an official digital release on hardware other than the initial release hardware is counted as a port.

Edit 2: The intention here was games that require old consoles, in working condition, to be able to play. Games that have recent ways of accessing skirt this intention.

Last edited:

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rogue Squadron 2+3 (The first is the best IMO but is PC and N64).

Forbidden Siren 2 for an amazing horror game.

Unirally because it was just great (and this one will 100% never be ported, remade or get a sequel).

nin

Asked Politely
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
no-one-lives-forever-but-sexism-in-gaming-never-dies-345-1453384572.jpg

No one lifes forever

Noogy

Soloist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Colorado
First one that comes to mind would be Demon's Souls. I don't really need a remake, but I'd love to keep playing it when my PS3 kicks the bucket.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Klonoa 2 still hasn't been re-released, right?

Shatterhand on the NES still holds up, too, and that thing's never getting a re-release or a remake because the original Japanese version was a licensed game.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Edit: If it's a downloadable PS Classic - Port. If it's just popping the PS1 disc in an old PS3 - no, it's the original.

Really? What's the difference though I'd say it's analogous to when old PC games get re-released on Steam and GOG.

The save files are even inter-compatible between the PS1 disc and the digital version.

OP
OP
Exellus

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Really? It's more of a re-release. I'd say it's analogous to when old PC games get re-released on Steam and GOG.

It's literally a PS1 ISO you run on an emulator. The save files are even inter-compatible between the digital version and an actual PS1 disc.

I think playing a PS1 disc in a PS3 that supports it is basically just the same as playing on an actual PS1. But playing a digital downloaded PS1 game on a slim PS3 that otherwise can't play PS1 games - I'd treat that as a port. You're playing it on hardware it wasn't initially designed for.

The PS3 backwards compatibility is weird.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
Bully. It's an open secret that Bully 2 is coming. But a Next (or this) Gen would be sublime. Really hoping for a college take next with a totally custom lead (boy, girl, trans, do it all). Rockstar can nail it especially after the writing we saw in RDR2.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Bully. It's an open secret that Bully 2 is coming. But a Next (or this) Gen would be sublime. Really hoping for a college take next with a totally custom lead (boy, girl, trans, do it all). Rockstar can nail it especially after the writing we saw in RDR2.

Bully got ported to Wii, 360, PC, and iOS didn't it?

Evil Lucario

Feb 16, 2019
Fucking KID ICARUS: UPRISING

Kid_Icarus-Uprising_logo.jpg

Screw the haters. The controls were excellent and super slick, allowing for the most precision in aiming aside from a mouse + keyboard. Easily one of the GOATs and deserves to be in the discussion for top 10 Nintendo games ever made.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
51PQD7CM5CL._SR600,315_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Low key one of the absolute best GBA games.

tumblr_o5qj3pHByX1u6jjy9o1_500.gif

Also, basically no one talks about the Metal Gear Acid games anymore. I thought they were fantastic.

220px-Metal_Gear_Acid_Coverart.png
220px-MGA2_box.jpg

Last edited:

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
I think playing a PS1 disc in a PS3 that supports it is basically just the same as playing on an actual PS1. But playing a digital downloaded PS1 game on a slim PS3 that otherwise can't play PS1 games - I'd treat that as a port. You're playing it on hardware it wasn't initially designed for.

The PS3 backwards compatibility is weird.
All PS3s could play PS1 discs, fyi.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
I'm going to say Diablo 2, and the odds are good that it will never be rereleased since it would basically require remaking the game from the ground up.