• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DarkMagician

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually curious about this now with recent announcements. Save for 3D World and Nintendo Land, I actually struggle to think of something the Wii U offers over the Switch. Asymmetrical gaming never resonated with me, and I pretty much only used the Pro Controller with that console. It hasn't even had Miiverse in quite a while either.

Pallo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo Land multiplayer with friends.
Which yes, is really fun and the only reason why I still keep my Wii U plugged in.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Game & Wario
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
Nintendo Land
Paper Mario: Color Splash
Pikmin 3
Star Fox Zero + Guard
Super Mario 3D World
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
The Wonderful 101
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Yoshi's Woolly World

etc. etc.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
Actual Virtual Console
All the Zeldas. All of them.
Free online
Netflix + Crunchyroll
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Tokyo Mirage Sessions
Pikmin 3
Nintendoland

Edit: Oh, OP even mentioned Nintendoland. That game just always gets overlooked...

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Virtual Console is the big thing for me, and its backward compatibility with the Wii VC.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Well, there's a lot of highs and far more lows. The Wii U was a failure and deserved to fail, or at least it isn't a surprise it did.

Xenoblade Chronicles X is arguably the best game in the XC series. Meanwhile that awful Amibo Animal Crossing board game is the worst game associated with that franchise. Tokyo Mirage #FE is a pretty bizarre JPRG with some funky tunes.

Virtual Console was a major part of the consoles lifecycle. Though the emulation was pretty crumby.

The one and only game that I can truly point to as the Wii U's masterpiece is Affordable Space Adventures. It used the entire touch screen to operate a little spaceship in a 2D adventure. Even if it is ported, it will lose that sensation of a peripheral.

Oct 27, 2017
-It had more media apps like Amazon Prime Video and Netflix
-A social space like Miiverse.
-Shockingly, it had more AAA releases even though Bethesda has done well. You got multiple Call of Duty's, multiple AC's, SC: Blacklist, Need for Speed, Madden, Deus Ex, Mass Effect 3, 2 Batman Arkham games, Ninja Gaiden 3 and I could go on.
-It had a great internet browser
-DS, N64, and SNES games to play
-The remaining strong WII U titles mentioned above me

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
I kept mine just for metroid prime trilogy and Wind Waker HD, the only two games I own on Wii U. I also play rogue squadron 2 & 3 on it through homebrew, because my tv only has hdmi.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Zombi U, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Paper Mario Color Splash, Art Academy, Yoshi's Woolly World, Wind Waker & Twilight Princess HD, Need for Speed Most Wanted U,Super Mario 3D World, Mario Party 10, Pikmim 3, a fairly decent web browser, a way to play my Virtual Console, Wii, and Wiiware software, and a bunch of other stuff I'm forgetting.

This actually reminds me I need to take a last look at my software library and see what holes I still have left to plug. I know I need LEGO Avengers and I need to bite the bullet and pay MSRP for Devil's Third...regret not just getting that at its launch way back when.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
The one and only Xenoblade Chronicles X. Probably the best sci-fi/space RPG this gen, though its only competition is Andromeda.

themadswagger

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
One of my favorite things about the Wii U is that the gamepad screen could display maps, like in Lego City Undercover. It also made inventory management instantaneous, like in the Zelda ports or Darksiders 2.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Besides what everyone said...

Top 3 consoles to Homebrew to turn into a retro heaven, including non emulated GameCube games, Wii games and the best way to play DS games

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Nothing? There's a reason it failed.

This post is going to get a lot of crap but it's genuinely difficult to argue against it. Even before the Switch launched, there were plenty of cultural contrarians arguing that the Wii U was, in fact, a great console ignored by a cruel consumer market. Not unlike the Sega Dreamcast.

As someone who owned the Wii U, let me assure you, that's a myth. Nintendo essentially halted all major development around 2014, kicking out half baked sequels and oddities (DONT SEE TOO MANY PEOPLE BEGGING FOR A PAPER MARIO COLOR SPLASH PORT, DO YA???)

You can argue what makes the console valuable and entertaining today but that's simply hindsight. At the time, the Wii U was miserably dry of meaningful games for looooooooooooooooong stretches before Nintendo dropped another C+ title.

The Switch blows the Wii U out of the water. No contest in the slightest.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
tumblr_mt4xurUUfp1s8ouhxo3_500.gif

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Superior online functionalities
Wii BC
Virtual Console
A few exclusive games that haven´t been ported yet