• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will PS5 have PS3 BC?

• Full BC With PS3

• Select titles similar to how MS does with 360

• Streaming through PSNow is all you're ever getting

• Other (explain in thread)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
I fully understand the difficulty of the emulating the cell processor, but with Microsoft going full speed ahead trying to support four generations of consoles, I really think Sony should try harder to support more than just one previous console. Having PS3 support would also mean having the amazing HD remaster of the ps2 classics including a lot of the great first party titles.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
unless they worked sommit out emulation wise, i have my doubts

and even if they did, it might be limited

Oct 25, 2017
湘南
I wouldn't be surprised if they started to look into non-streaming solutions for PS5 once MS started doing BC on X1. I don't think it'll support all games though.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
Unless Sony makes a really hard BC push any attempt at emulation/translation of PS3 games will just die like PS2 on PS4 died this gen.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I want to believe, but doubt it.

PS Now would be enough for me, but ffs release this thing in my country.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I suspect the continuation of PS Now and streaming. That will get better with 1080p support but I bet they will come out with a remastered Demo's Soul for $29.99 and all will be forgiven about the lack of PS3 BC support.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
not a hardware engineer but i'm guessing it's an unreasonable ask unless you expect a mini PS3 crammed in there for like $100+ more

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It would be really nice to have PS3 backwards compatibility.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I expect nothing more than ps4 native bc with ps5 patches for select games. The streaming option is already there, tho. So I voted for that.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Very 0 percent. I think they are happy to keep that gated to their streaming platform, tbh

Nemesis-T Type

Alt account
Banned
Jan 19, 2019
Would the 360 games that XB1 couldn't do backwards compatibility for due to licensing issues also be not available for PS5?

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I would hope with the more powerful CPU this time around they could bruteforce CELL emulation on the PS5 but im skeptical.

Quasicat

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
They remastered so many titles for PS4 from the previous generation. Although there are more PS3 exclusives I would love to go back and play, they already did the work to get the Uncharted games, the Last of Us, and others (not to mention many third parties did as well). I just don't see them adding new hardware or pushing for BC with the cell processor. It would be too cost prohibitive to do it.

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017
Sony will probably leverage PS Now to support PS3 titles as they have been doing currently. Spending the time and resources on native BC for games running on Cell is probably not worth the investment, in their opinion.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I'm not expecting anything beyond whatever runs on PS4 (so PS4 games and PS2onPS4 games) also running on PS5. Looking at how poorly the support for PS2 games on PS4 has been (there's only like 50 games and you're required to buy them again even if you already owned them) I simply believe Sony doesn't really care about supporting PS1, PS2 and PS3 backwards compatibility. They didn't even care about adding their own big games such as the PS2 God of War games to the service.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
the CELL cannot be controlled

thank ken the mad genius

Cell is perfect, son!

tenor.gif

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
0%.
BC has only been mentioned for PS4 games becase PS4 and PS5 pretty much use the same architecture. They will probably keep adding more PS3 games on PS Now but no local BC.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
we cant even get ps2 bc without trophy bullshit holding it back
what makes you think we'll get ps3 emu?

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Open source emulators are fairly successful. I'm sure sony could do it if they wanted to. If it's easy enough, they'll do it. But it would have to be very very easy considering how few people care.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
No idea, but I hope so. Having full disc-based PlayStation platform backwards compatibility is an extremely attractive selling point to me.

I'm hoping they only mentioned PS4 backwards compatibility because they're saving PS3, PS2, and PS1 for the reveal event.

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
Emulating the PS3 is an immense challenge. I think the Playstation folks have their hands full. I wouldn't expect PS3 BC at launch, and probably never.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Odds are low, but it would be highly appreciated.

Though PS1/PS2 backwards compatibility would be more appreciated, and their absence less excusable.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Totally different architecture, it's not happening.

I still own a functioning PS3 fat for when I want to scratch that itch, and yes, I'm looking at you, Demon's Souls.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
It would be amazing if it was backwards compatible with everything, but I think we all know that isn't going to be the case...

Stefarno

I ... survived Sedona
Oct 27, 2017
With Sony the most likely outcome is that they'll announce the removal of all PS3 games from PS Now.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I've argued it before, it simply makes sense for them to make the PS5 hardware capable of playing PS4 games because of PS Now. That way they can utilize only PS5 hardware in the datacenters instead of requiring PS3 hardware to still be manufactured, installed and maintained as they're currently doing. The incentive for them would be the many, many millions of dollars they'd save by finally killing off Cell production and having to only support a single unified platform.

Now since I last made this argument Sony has of course signed their MoU with Microsoft and are looking to use Azure for PS Now. We have no idea how that partnership will go or how it might affect the points I've made, so I'll stick with this theory until we get actual info that would negate it.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Pretty slim I'd say since they didn't say anything about it unless they are going for the holy shit moment on stage.

Lueken

Dec 15, 2017
I voted full backwards compatibility for positive vibes. If Sony can manage it, they can retire PS3 hardware and have all PlayStation Now titles run on new hardware. Would be nice to not need the PS3 to play that large backlog thanks to PlayStation Plus.