• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yonafunu

Oct 26, 2017
I'm almost halfway through Murakami's The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. I also have Kafka on the Shore waiting for me when I'm done.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm gonna jump straight from the DUNE saga into the First Law series. Read the first two chapters last night as I was curious, and it's just made me oh so more intrigued. I like how it really describes the landscape and is thorough about it. I'm already confused about one thing though, are the Shankas and Flatheads two different beasts, or are they as I suspect the same creature?

blader8jp6.jpg

About that ending to Chapterhouse Dune:
I'm really left to wonder a lifetime now how Dune was to end.

How Murbella's gonna manage the BG, and if conflict would rise between them and the Honored Matres. Maybe Angelika would secretly plot overtaking Murbella and create chaos.
How Sheeana will build her new religion around herself being a Goddess.

I was super intrigued by these two above especially.

I'm interested in what Duncan Idaho could become. He's already a mentat-truthsayer, he could become so much more with his ghola lifes.
Miles Teg too has huge potential, and could maybe help Sheeana awaken these secret Atreides abilities. Maybe develop them further.
What Scytale would do with his sample of DNAs in his chest, would he recreate legends like Paul?
Hell I'm even more excited about what Daniel and Marty's (and the Face Dancers) whole plan was.
Where would they even go to, hide in the Scattering?
Who was even this greater threat hunting the Honored Matres out of the Scattering? A machine enemy built by the Ixians?
What were the role of the hidden Jews?

So many interesting plots which'll never get resolved.

Yet it's somewhat beautiful, having the ending be these people from these different factions flying away in a spaceship together. Like a final goodbye to the reader from these different factions of the Dune universe.

Still bittersweet.

Good news, Frank's son has carried on the franchise! Oh wait, no, self-isolate from those books like they just arrived from traveling in North Italy.
I've been entertained by the idea, but my universe has no idea what those books are. They don't exist here I was told. ;)

I'm almost halfway through Murakami's The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. I also have Kafka on the Shore waiting for me when I'm done.
This was me some two years ago. Got halfway through Wind-Up but stopped. I found it very intriguing and I loved the mood Murakami was going for. I read it in my local language and I've since bought it in English, so I'm probably gonna revisit it and start over at some point. Got Kafka lying around too.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
UK
I think I'm gonna jump straight from the DUNE saga into the First Law series. Read the first two chapters last night as I was curious, and it's just made me oh so more intrigued. I like how it really describes the landscape, and it already feels like it is more thorough about it than Frank Herbert was in Dune. I'm already confused about one thing though, are the Shankas and Flatheads two different beasts, or are they as I suspect the same creature?

blader8jp6.jpg

To answer your question, yes they are the same.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't read anything in weeks...

I think I'm starting to figure out what I want to read over the summer, though: The remainder of The Books of Earthsea, Always Coming Home (also by Le Guin), The Grapes of Wrath, Ulysses. Perhaps some nonfiction for a change with This New Ocean by William E. Burrows.

I hope you're enjoying it, those two are among my favorite books.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Finished Ulysses. Probably never would have done it if not for the quarantine. Everyone was wrong about reading The Odyssey first. That shit did not help me one bit. You'd be better off keeping a map of Dublin and a copy of Hamlet on hand.

Returning to Portrait now since I seem to have forgotten everything that ever happened in Stephen's life. Dante? Parnell? What?

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
I think I'm gonna jump straight from the DUNE saga into the First Law series. Read the first two chapters last night as I was curious, and it's just made me oh so more intrigued. I like how it really describes the landscape, and it already feels like it is more thorough about it than Frank Herbert was in Dune. I'm already confused about one thing though,
are the Shankas and Flatheads two different beasts, or are they as I suspect the same creature[/ispoiler]?

blader8jp6.jpg
They are the same. Shankas is the real name but Northmen call them flatheads.

I just actually finished Blade Itself and found the book to be great. It was basically my first dive into fantasy genre and I surprised how much I ended up liking the book. I started reading second book, just few days back and I'm already 75% done with it. I'm liking the second book even more. Abercrombie's prose is far simpler then Herbert's and yet the man can make characters and the world come to live. His dialog is witty, fast paced and often dam funny, especially Glokta's inner monologues.

Hope you enjoy the book.

OP
OP
Jag

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Finished Ulysses. Probably never would have done it if not for the quarantine. Everyone was wrong about reading The Odyssey first. That shit did not help me one bit. You'd be better off keeping a map of Dublin and a copy of Hamlet on hand.

Read Circe. It's a new book with a fictional account of that time period. Think it's being made into a show or movie too.

35959740._SY475_.jpg

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
I've been listening to...
25499718.jpg

since I ran out of library books and figured now would be a good time to finally listen to some audiobooks I've had for awhile. I'm not super into it, and hoping that it has a satisfying conclusion so that I don't have to read the other book in the series. I'm not sure what's not doing it for me, I've been away from scifi for a little aside from the Broken Earth trilogy which was more scifi/fantasy. I think my problem is that since the narrative is split between two perspectives, and I don't care about one of them, I'm left being bored half the time.

I might try Canadianity by Joanathan Torrens and Jeremy Taggart for something easy next, or just dive right into Imajica by Clive Barker. I also have Hyperion as an audiobook or some eBooks loaded onto my Kobo that I could try.

Bazza

Oct 27, 2017
51104078._SX318_SY475_.jpg
51989611._SX318_SY475_.jpg
44512915._SY475_.jpg

Getting even more books read while I have been locked away avoiding the corona virus, after finishing the Malazan series last week I caught up on the series' that have released books in the last few months. All of the above are pretty solid entry's, nothing spectacular but if they are series you are already reading then you will enjoy them.

As for whats next with a lot more reading time on the horizon I have started on Steven Kings books. I have read the Dark Tower and the Bachman books but other than that very little of his work, as its been 5 years since I read the Dark Tower series I will probably do a reread of those as well.
I finished Carrie at the yesterday, I remember watching the original Carrie when I was 12-13 so over 20 years ago now so I already had a general idea of the plot but I wasn't quite expecting Carrie's journey to be so heartbreaking, makes you really think back to how you were at school, I wasn't the bully or bullied but I was definitely a bystander on a number of occasions.

Anywho onto this now, I will need to dig out the Steven King diagram that shows the links between all his books as I believe the Priest in this is the Priest in the Dark Tower, Just cant remember if it was posted in this thread or in a thread on Steven King himself.

5413.jpg

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished:

the-murders-at-white-house-farm-carol-ann-lee-9780283072215.jpg

which isn't my usual cup of tea but was pretty interesting. Very well researched and matter of fact reporting of a murder that happened in the UK in the 1980s - it's pretty good about the amount of detail it goes into and reads quite objectively, although you get the feeling that the author is pretty sure that the murderer is guilty. Didn't know he was in the prison about 5 minutes down the road from me though!

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Just finished:

the-murders-at-white-house-farm-carol-ann-lee-9780283072215.jpg

which isn't my usual cup of tea but was pretty interesting. Very well researched and matter of fact reporting of a murder that happened in the UK in the 1980s - it's pretty good about the amount of detail it goes into and reads quite objectively, although you get the feeling that the author is pretty sure that the murderer is guilty. Didn't know he was in the prison about 5 minutes down the road from me though!

Is this one of the books the recent show was based on?

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
I've been reading Malice by Keigo Higashino. Feels good, comfort food, easy to read and enjoy. Easy to see the Christie inspiration, but it's done well.

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
Going through a bunch of Nebula/WFA/Hugo winners from the last decade after finishing up Jemisin's Shattered Earth trilogy.

Read:
Redshirts
The Goblin Emperor

Reading:
Throne of the Crescent Moon

Yet to read:
Six Wakes
Too Like the Lightning
Ancillary Justice
Luna: New Moon

Glad I got these right a week before the library system shut down.

What's a Hugo award?

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
The Hugos are awards annually selected by the World Science Fiction Convention.

en.wikipedia.org

Hugo Award - Wikipedia

From my reading list, Redshirts, Ancillary Justice and the Broken Earth books were Hugo award winning novels.

Oh. I think I have one of those hanging around on a shelf somewhere. Thanks!

I really enjoyed all three of those books for very different reasons. Are you going to read the rest of the Ancillary trilogy?

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I've been reading King Leopold's Ghost for about four months. I've got about 80 pages to go. I don't know why, but it takes me forever to read non-fiction.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Returning to Portrait now since I seem to have forgotten everything that ever happened in Stephen's life. Dante? Parnell? What?

A little Irish history is handy, too.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh. I think I have one of those hanging around on a shelf somewhere. Thanks!

I really enjoyed all three of those books for very different reasons. Are you going to read the rest of the Ancillary trilogy?

Haha. Sorry, I didn't recognize you from your username.

I think I'm going to read Luna or Six Wakes next, and we'll see how it goes with the Ancillary series. I still prefer to read paper copies (although I read the Broken Earth on an ereader) so a lot depends on when libraries reopen.

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
Haha. Sorry, I didn't recognize you from your username.

I think I'm going to read Luna or Six Wakes next, and we'll see how it goes with the Ancillary series. I still prefer to read paper copies (although I read the Broken Earth on an ereader) so a lot depends on when libraries reopen.

I really enjoyed the Ancillary sequels. I felt like they each became their own thing, but still told a wonderful overarching story. Leckie becomes more and more comfortable with the universe, and it really shows when she's able to slow the story down, but still keep the reader glued to the page. It's good stuff.

I was a little disappointed by Six Wakes, if I'm being honest. I was really looking forward to it, and generally like Lafferty's work, but something about it just didn't click with me. I think it was a personal fit thing, though.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just starting Attached now, and gonna follow up with Mindsight. Needing some perspective on my own life that hopefully these will help with.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
If I had been smart, I'd have done the same. I had a great time notating my copy and making all my own connections. but having a book like this to fill my own gaps in knowledge would have been wonderful.
I read Ulysees in this edition: (obviously not Ulysees but can't find that one oneline)

81UpMirvSIL.jpg

Really good editions of lots of classic books with some great notes. I've still got my copy for The Divine Comedy.

Oct 25, 2017
So I've known of David Foster Wallace for... forever, I guess, but never dove in to his work. YouTube recommended me this media criticism video (probably from watching Folding Ideas or Nerdwriter) about him, and it piqued my interest.

So now I'm thinking of putting Infinite Jest (which I've also known of for... forever, i guess) on my reading list, but I'm wondering whether its structure means I should get a physical copy (I've been 95% e-reader for 15+ years.) Any thoughts? What's the Era consensus on Infinite Jest and/or Wallace himself?

fakefaker

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh well, the Divine Cities trilogy by Robert Jackson Bennett was a bust. After an amazing first book, and surprisingly good second book, the third book City Of Miracles fell flat on its face and said good night. It felt rushed, the characters felt weary and it didn't have half the depth of the first book. The first book took you someplace wondrous and intriguing while the last book felt like an action flick having a one night stand with Tolkien and both were pretty drunk at the time.

Next up is a visit down under with Force of Nature by Jane Harper.

39863487.jpg

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
Oh well, the Divine Cities trilogy by Robert Jackson Bennett was a bust. After an amazing first book, and surprisingly good second book, the third book City Of Miracles fell flat on its face and said good night. It felt rushed, the characters felt weary and it didn't have half the depth of the first book. The first book took you someplace wondrous and intriguing while the last book felt like an action flick having a one night stand with Tolkien and both were pretty drunk at the time.

But...

This sounds amazing.

Zaryn

Oct 25, 2017
So I've known of David Foster Wallace for... forever, I guess, but never dove in to his work. YouTube recommended me this media criticism video (probably from watching Folding Ideas or Nerdwriter) about him, and it piqued my interest.

So now I'm thinking of putting Infinite Jest (which I've also known of for... forever, i guess) on my reading list, but I'm wondering whether its structure means I should get a physical copy (I've been 95% e-reader for 15+ years.) Any thoughts? What's the Era consensus on Infinite Jest and/or Wallace himself?

I love my kindle, but I just can't imagine reading Infinite Jest on one. Reading the physical version had me using multiple bookmarks to remember my place, and I think going back and forth could be cumbersome on an e-reader. It's certainly worth reading, so don't let getting the physical book discourage you!

Oct 25, 2017
I've been listening to...
25499718.jpg

since I ran out of library books and figured now would be a good time to finally listen to some audiobooks I've had for awhile. I'm not super into it, and hoping that it has a satisfying conclusion so that I don't have to read the other book in the series. I'm not sure what's not doing it for me, I've been away from scifi for a little aside from the Broken Earth trilogy which was more scifi/fantasy. I think my problem is that since the narrative is split between two perspectives, and I don't care about one of them, I'm left being bored half the time.

I've heard that about the book a couple of times and I get it. The spider half is just sooooo much more interesting. I personally really enjoyed the human stuff and thought that it on its own would have been compelling sci-fi. But in comparison to the spider stuff, it's the just so less interesting.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
Done with 2/3 books from First Law and I'm loving it! After second chapter of first book I was completely hooked, there was no turning back. It's amazing with how little Abercrombie moves the story and builds characters and the world. Man doesn't waste words, everything moves at rapid speed and it's very difficult to put down the book. I have done best pacing myself because I don't want this to end, but sadly soon I'll have to start with the last book. Oh, and this dam funny book, even when things get serious there is something to laugh at. Especially with Glokta and his inner monologues.

I'm not 100% sure if I like the first or second book better. At first it was second book easily, but at the same time, I feel like the smaller scope of the first book was good fit as well. Also I felt like all parties got equal treatment in first book.

Very minor spoilers (back cover stuff basically):
I'll probably still like the second better because:
Second book was great, pay off for the build ups were more then satisfactory. Glokta in Dagoska and everything with West and the gang in the north wast top notch stuff. On the other hand, I felt like Logen and his party's quest lost some steam. Jezel's growth was probably best part of this story, also Bayaz's history lessons were more then interesting, but overall not that much happened. Their quest was far less epic then stuff that went on in North and Dagoska. I still think I'll give the nod to second book since West became one of my favorites among rest of the Northmen. But obviously Glokta and his two little helpers are still salt of the story.

And BIG SPOILER, don't read if you are not done with second book:
Threetrees! NOOO! That was some heavy shit. I was half expecting him to at least find out Logen is still alive. And then I was expecting West to quote Logen at the burial, so at least rest of the crew would know the guy is still alive.

My only complaint is that there is no map! But I started drawing my own so I have managed. I don't know when I'll start the last book, it's gonna be hard to say goodbye to all these characters.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Done with 2/3 books from First Law and I'm loving it! After second chapter of first book I was completely hooked, there was no turning back. It's amazing with how little Abercrombie moves the story and builds characters and the world. Man doesn't waste words, everything moves at rapid speed and it's very difficult to put down the book. I have done best pacing myself because I don't want this to end, but sadly soon I'll have to start with the last book. Oh, and this dam funny book, even when things get serious there is something to laugh at. Especially with Glokta and his inner monologues.

I'm not 100% sure if I like the first or second book better. At first it was second book easily, but at the same time, I feel like the smaller scope of the first book was good fit as well. Also I felt like all parties got equal treatment in first book.

Very minor spoilers (back cover stuff basically):
I'll probably still like the second better because:
Second book was great, pay off for the build ups were more then satisfactory. Glokta in Dagoska and everything with West and the gang in the north wast top notch stuff. On the other hand, I felt like Logen and his party's quest lost some steam. Jezel's growth was probably best part of this story, also Bayaz's history lessons were more then interesting, but overall not that much happened. Their quest was far less epic then stuff that went on in North and Dagoska. I still think I'll give the nod to second book since West became one of my favorites among rest of the Northmen. But obviously Glokta and his two little helpers are still salt of the story.

And BIG SPOILER, don't read if you are not done with second book:
Threetrees! NOOO! That was some heavy shit. I was half expecting him to at least find out Logen is still alive. And then I was expecting West to quote Logen at the burial, so at least rest of the crew would know the guy is still alive.

My only complaint is that there is no map! But I started drawing my own so I have managed. I don't know when I'll start the last book, it's gonna be hard to say goodbye to all these characters.

Glad you're loving it. I read these books last year and they quickly became my favourite fantasy books

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Finished

Normal People by Sally Rooney

Really, really good. There isn't much to the storyline - it's about a boy and girl growing up from about 17/18 years old to about 25 or so, but the characterisation of the two is phenomenal. You really begin to care for them both and want them to be happy, but their personality flaws get in the way. Probably the best book I've read in a while!

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
47212._SY475_.jpg

Finished my reread of Storm Front. Largely didn't remember much beyond the few climactic moments. Looked back at my old rating on goodreads and yup, still a three star book. I like the general idea and premise, but this first book was just kind of blah when it came to the "Dresden can't help but help the woman in need." aspect. The noir tropes in general just seemed blah.

I think I'm going to skip book two that I remembered not liking and keep going. I've heard nothing but the books and world getting better after the first three.

About half way through Agent of Change(Liaden Universe novel) and I'm liking it, but so far it hasn't seemed to go much beyond a sci-fi action movie plot. This is another one of the worlds that's supposed to be massive, but not sure if I'll stick with it.

Also about half way through The Good Daughter by Karen Slaughter.

I think I took on too many thriller or fast paced style books at once cause they're all feeling kind of bleh to me.

napk1ns

Nov 29, 2017
Finished

Normal People by Sally Rooney

Really, really good. There isn't much to the storyline - it's about a boy and girl growing up from about 17/18 years old to about 25 or so, but the characterisation of the two is phenomenal. You really begin to care for them both and want them to be happy, but their personality flaws get in the way. Probably the best book I've read in a while!
Finished this yesterday!
Beautiful prose with tons of insightful observations told through inner lives. Youth is a hard time to find stability.

fakefaker

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Force of Nature by Jane Harper wasn't perfect, but distracted my brain from the everyday so well that I had to give it a 4/5. Now I'm moving onto Gods of Jade and Shadow by Silvia Moreno-Garcia.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Finished this yesterday!
Beautiful prose with tons of insightful observations told through inner lives. Youth is a hard time to find stability.

Yeah, it's really good. There's a TV series in a couple of weeks but it's either going to need lots of voice overs or it will feel like a fairly rote teenager to adult story.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017

I've read Infinite Jest on the kindle app for my iPad. Was a great experience. The end notes pops up in the bottom of the screen when you click them. Afterwards you can quickly get back to the main text without any hassle. I don't understand how people can possibly prefer physical books when it comes to doorstoppers. They're so uncomfortable to lug around.

Currently listening to DFW's Oblivion through Audible. I actually got Infinite Jest as audiobook too, but I will have to read the end notes as text alongside. Not sure what I think about this approach...

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished The Girl With All the Gifts, really liked it, a nice twist on the zombie genre, really easy to read writing style.

Think up next I'll finally read Ready Player One which has been sitting on my shelf for about 7 years.

I really liked the girl with all the gifts, it's probably my favorite zombie story of the last decade. You should check out its prequel, The boy on the bridge. Doesn't feel as fresh but it's also really good and adds up to the world and atmosphere.

I'm currently going through Recursion by Blake Crouch and loving it. After a dry reading period for me this is just what I needed, fast-paced, light on irrelevant filling with mend-bending themes and interesting story. Can't wait to finish it.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
Started to read The Colonel by Mahmoud Dowlatabadi and going by first 20 pages, this is going to be bleak ride. But I have been too long on scifi/fantasy trip that I need to read something "real" for a chance. Only worry is that I don't know enough Iranian history to fully grasp and enjoy the themes and nuances of the book. But I'll give it a shot.

After this it's Murakami's Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage and Theodore Kaczynski Industrial Society and Its Future