• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
Saying a game generally looks low budget and wondering if a certain aspect came from another studio because it's higher quality and seems inconsistent with the rest of the game? That's insulting game devs by insinuating they are untalented, and it shouldn't be allowed? That's pretty funny. OP specifically avoids indirectly calling the devs bad by pointing to the budget, but I guess for some people here there's just no way to make a distinction between good things and bad things kindly enough to not be "insulting".

Edit: I am dumb and misinterpreted this post

Mar 18, 2020
Another example of how a tiny bit of knowledge makes people think they know a lot more about game dev than they do

It's either an art direction thing or an LOD thing

Last edited:

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
It's a 50+ hour RPG. The graphics aren't retro 2D. There are 4 playable characters each of which has a couple dozen skins or so (one for each class). There's a playable card game mini-game. I get that it's not a AAA game, but it's also not especially low-budget either.
There's a card game in the game?! Is it a card-battler?!

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
I mean Crystal Chronicles started as a FFIX offshoot so the proportions are really the same.
And you won't tell me this
file_19594_ffcc_ring_of_fates_009.jpg

looks like the same proportion as Crystal Bearers.
Heck between the e3 presentation and the final game, Crystal Bearers itself had different proportions for the characters

That is a ds game and not the gamecube game you originally posted with your argument. These do not proportionately look like the characters from the gamecube game you posted a picture of. These look like deformed chibi characters meant to maximize expressive readability through a lower resolution screen. These are more in line with what was shown to represent the characters in ganeplay in the first 2 bravely default games. Not sure why you posted this.

No, I have the artbooks from the first two games. The concept art, and the vast majority of promotional art has always been Chibi for the games whether it came from Yoshida or Ikusy.

They were meant to be Chibi.
If you say so......
latest

81SwgDf4KIL._SL1500_.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Again, it is very obvious this is a frame of reference to let us know what these characters and this world is supposed to look like, which we must then keep in mind when looking at the abstract representations if this, which is the best fit for what hardware could manage in a practical, readable and attractive runtime art style.

So very obviously, there would be concept arts of the abstract representations that would be turned into in game character models as well. That has absolutely no bearing on what is being said here.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Wouldn't we all be better served if we just tried to educate each other about this kind of stuff instead of leaping down each others' throats and making assumptions?

On one hand, I can understand some people being, well, overly vigilant, due to the sheer overuse of "lazy devs" rethoric elsewhere. But yeah, on the other, it's absolutely true that Era members tend to be very uncharitable when interpreting others' points.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
That is a ds game and not the gamecube game you originally posted with your argument. These do not proportionately look like the characters from the gamecube game you posted a picture of. These look like deformed chibi characters meant to maximize expressive readability through a lower resolution screen. These are more in line with what was shown to represent the characters in ganeplay in the first 2 bravely default games. Not sure why you posted this.
I mean again this is what the GC game is about
220px-Final_Fantasy_Crystal_Chronicles_%28box_art%29.jpg

ffcc-lineup.jpg

If you think this has the same proportions as
latest

Yeah I don't know what to tell you but I'm not gonna commission some art from you.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean again this is what the GC game is about
220px-Final_Fantasy_Crystal_Chronicles_%28box_art%29.jpg

ffcc-lineup.jpg

If you think this has the same proportions as
latest

Yeah I don't know what to tell you but I'm not gonna commission some art from you.

Except I didnt say that. You've just been trying to put those words in my mouth instead of addressing what I actually said. I said the crystal chronicles characters werent as deformed as chibi proportions like seen in bravely defaults gameplay character models, but rather just cartoony.

I never even commented on or compared crystal bearers to anything because it was irrelevant to the subject at hand.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Except I didnt say that. You've just been trying to put those words in my mouth instead of addressing what I actually said. I said the crystal chronicles characters werent as deformed as chibi proportions like seen in bravely defaults gameplay character models, but rather just cartoony.

I never even commented on or compared crystal bearers to anything because it was irrelevant to the subject at hand.
It's not irrelevant, the whole reason we're even talking about crystal chronicles is because it's another 3D game using unrealistic proportions.
In the case of the origingal FFCC, they used these proportions because the game really was about reusing as much from FFIX as they could, that was a game under a strict budget on a schedule (and don't forget that Squaresoft was under contract with Sony to not have a console game release on anything but Playstation if it affected the production of a Playstation game, hence why FFCC is credited under the shell company TheGameDesigners).
Ironically enough Ring of Fates which has much less realistic proportions probably had a bigger budget considering the scope, production time and the introduction of CG cutscenes and voice acting.
All this to say, in the case of Bravely 2, the proportion is not a question of the project being under a small budget.

Really I could have actually used a plethora of other SquareEnix projects that do not feature realistic character proportions.
Heck in SaGa's case, Unlimited SaGa had realistic proportion while the next one being a remake of Romancing SaGa had famously deformed style. And considering the difference in scope of both projects RS definitely didn't cut corners.
That's like the 1 SaGa game they didn't actually cut corners.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not irrelevant, the whole reason we're even talking about crystal chronicles is because it's another 3D game using unrealistic proportions.
In the case of the origingal FFCC, they used these proportions because the game really was about reusing as much from FFIX as they could, that was a game under a strict budget on a schedule (and don't forget that Squaresoft was under contract with Sony to not have a console game release on anything but Playstation if it affected the production of a Playstation game, hence why FFCC is credited under the shell company TheGameDesigners).
Ironically enough Ring of Fates which has much less realistic proportions probably had a bigger budget considering the scope, production time and the introduction of CG cutscenes and voice acting.
All this to say, in the case of Bravely 2, the proportion is not a question of the project being under a small budget.

Really I could have actually used a plethora of other SquareEnix projects that do not feature realistic character proportions.
Heck in SaGa's case, Unlimited SaGa had realistic proportion while the next one being a remake of Romancing SaGa had famously deformed style. And considering the difference in scope of both projects RS definitely didn't cut corners.
That's like the 1 SaGa game they didn't actually cut corners.

Except I never said deformed chibi proportions were inherently related to a games budget being small. And I provided evidence showing the opposite. That the games these styles originated in were very big budget games for their time.

Also, there is a lot of room between realistically proportioned characters and chibi. It's not a binary switch.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Except I never said deformed chibi proportions were inherently related to a games budget being small. And I provided evidence showing the opposite. That the games these styles originated in were very big budget games for their time.

Also, there is a lot of room between realistically proportioned characters and chibi. It's not a binary switch.
I mean as far as proportions goes, there's a wide range of options available but in the case of this discussion considering what is the assumption behind the criticism behind BD2 style, they might as well all be the same.
And you're absolutely right while some projects went full realistic style that try to mimic movies others went nearly total opposite.
The conflation of character proportions to budget is misguided at best and bafflingly ignorant.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean as far as proportions goes, there's a wide range of options available but in the case of this discussion considering what is the assumption behind the criticism behind BD2 style, they might as well all be the same.
And you're absolutely right while some projects went full realistic style that try to mimic movies others went nearly total opposite.
The conflation of character proportions to budget is misguided at best and bafflingly ignorant.

Yeah. And then there is SUPER chibi like world of ff which is almost just heads with arms and legs sticking out.

The decision for a chibi style back then was to make characters more expressive and readable through a low resolution, the bigger heads gave ample room for expressions as opposed to 3 pixels for an eye and 2 for a mouth. which typically goes hand in hand with more frames of animation and poses for those expressions.... which cost more time and money.

Opportunities for this styles strengths arose again on early 3d consoles and again on handhelds like ds and 3ds. And naturally people would begin to like the style itself, whether as a halo effect surrounding a game they loved, or to the inherent cuteness of the design, or im sure many many other reasons. A popularity that would lead to the style being used even when hardware limitations were not in place.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Yeah. And then there is SUPER chibi like world of ff which is almost just heads with arms and legs sticking out.

The decision for a chibi style back then was to make characters more expressive and readable through a low resolution, the bigger heads gave ample room for expressions as opposed to 3 pixels for an eye and 2 for a mouth. which typically goes hand in hand with more frames of animation and poses for those expressions.... which cost more time and money.

Opportunities for this styles strengths arose again on early 3d consoles and again on handhelds like ds and 3ds. And naturally people would begin to like the style itself, whether as a halo effect surrounding a game they loved, or to the inherent cuteness of the design, or im sure many many other reasons. A popularity that would lead to the style being used even when hardware limitations were not in place.
And this reminds of another game rather infamous for its (then) divisive style : Zelda Wind Waker.
The reason you give here is the exact reason they went with that style over literally everything else.
If anything the next one Twilight Princess with its more mature style was probably far less costly to make (also probably because they experimented far less while making it because it really was OoT 2 in all but name).

At the end of the day I think whether people feel strongly about the style one or another is not that important, unless it really resonates strongly (in a good or a bad way) most people will find all the reasons in the world to prefer the style of the game they prefer.
While you have big budget projects that can use all the styles they want (seriously they could make cell shaded Mario game, it wouldn't impact the game negatively in any way) if you're constrained by budgets or hardware, it's a super good idea to go for a highly stylized look that will have the added bonus of making your product stand out.
Killer7 is an excellent example

ss_6a1bde35f8818772cdd23dd06ceec860ee55d3b9.1920x1080.jpg

If you look at the game you will see cut corners EVERYWHERE and it doesn't look that bad when going for a more realistic style would have murdered the visuals and make the limitations really stand front and center.