• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Creepy Woody

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
I sent you a message and a few people have been mentioning you to contact sony as well understand the wait is bad but you do realise you can go on the website and they have live chat so you can hit to birds with one stone while you're on hold, it's a launch of a new product long wait call times are to be expected.

There is no live chat for the one in Australia, I looked, just a call line. All I had to do was walk into EB and they already have a ticket to get me one asap and I'm fine with that instead of waiting on the phone. They will call me in "up to two weeks" so it could also be less than that. It was just easier for me this way since its DOA. Plus whenever I get it, I get a brand new warranty with EB.

Both machines have had a few failures, for them to be able to fail to start, instead of fail to a safe mode fallback of some sort in 2020 is very bad. Old PC's could at least boot on some level because they had fallbacks.

These manufactures should have built in some fail safes, I'm sure there are a couple, but they didn't help OP at all.

I think the issue with mine is what a lot of other people have said; the power supply. When the thing doesn't even show signs of life, it's usually a power supply problem and not much can help that. But hey in two weeks tops I'll be good again. I hope others with issues can get it sorted easily too

Last edited:

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
I think the issue with mine is what a lot of other people have said; the power supply. When the thing doesn't even show signs of life, it's usually a power supply problem and not much can help that. But hey in two weeks tops I'll be good again. I hope others with issues can get it sorted easily too

Hopefully you're back to gaming sooner, and your next PS5 is perfect.

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
Great place to put this, just incase anyone is stuffing these into a place that's "JUST FITS"

Vents Do not block any vents. To maintain good ventilation, follow the guidelines below:
• Place the console at least 10 cm (4 in) away from a wall surface.
• Do not place on a carpet or rug with long fibers.
• Do not place in a narrow or cramped space.
• Do not cover with cloth.
• Do not allow dust to build up on the vents. Use a cleaning tool such as a vacuum cleaner to remove dust buildup.
Page 5

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
Who should I even contact to attempt getting a replacement unit from? My PS5 is from Playstation Direct and unless I'm blind I do not see any support for them specifically. It just leads to the normal Playstation support number. Is that who I should call to actually try for a replacement?

thermopyle

Nov 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Reading this thread before I picked up my PS5 yesterday morning made me impulsively get geeksquad protection lol

So far so good, hope everyone gets their situation handled quickly!

OP
OP
Creepy Woody

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
Who should I even contact to attempt getting a replacement unit from? My PS5 is from Playstation Direct and unless I'm blind I do not see any support for them specifically. It just leads to the normal Playstation support number. Is that who I should call to actually try for a replacement?

If its through Sony Direct could you take it to a Sony Store? I got told to try this earlier, however the one in my city shut down ages ago.

Support is what I tried to use before, if you wait you'll get through eventually. I just took it back to the store since it was the quicker/ easier option after an hour and a half of waiting on the phone.

I'm sure with Sony I'd have to explain and they'd bother me with troubleshooting first too.
EB were basically like "DOA say no more, fam".

Just leave it on speaker and do something else while you wait?

Reading this thread before I picked up my PS5 yesterday morning made me impulsively get geeksquad protection lol

So far so good, hope everyone gets their situation handled quickly!

I'll most likely get EB extended warranty after this episode as I have a bunch of credit left. It's just so much easier to take it back to my local store and swap for another instantly.

Last edited:

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
This thing really knows how to cause anxiety. I had a power outage while in the middle of playing Sackboy. The power comes back on, I turn the PS5 on, and the first thing on screen is that the system is repairing itself. Hopefully nothing is wrong.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
How long do patches for firmware issues usually take?
I guess Sony is scrambling to do anything they can to fix these issues swiftly, that's some bad launch PR (even if only a small percentage are effected by the various problems).
I really hope there's a patch/fix before I get my console next week...

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
That is what I tried to use before, if you wait you'll get through eventually. I just took it back to the store since it was the quicker/ easier option after an hour and a half of waiting on the phone. Just leave it on speaker for when you get through and do something else while you wait?
Yeah, I'll just do that. Really hoping my only option isn't getting it refunded.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I downloaded DBZ FighterZ to my external drive, launched it, and the system immediately shutoff. Hitting the power button didn't work, but the ejection button managed to turn the system on. The system then tried to repair the external SSD, but the screen stayed black, so I had to hit the power button again to reset it, and it then came back. I seem to be in good shape now, knock on wood.

gutterboy44

Oct 27, 2017
NY
A battery backed power supply is very inexpensive. If you didn't have a UPS last gen, now might be the time. Just grab a APC UPS from Amazon. I have been using them on my PC and consoles for years. I found the PS4 to be sensitive to power fluctuations so the UPS saved a lot of crashes from quick black outs and brown outs. You have plenty of time to shut down your console safely before the battery runs out. Just make sure your tv/monitor is a plugged in to the battery back up too so you can see what you are doing!

dragonflys545

Oct 27, 2017
New York
My ps5 just randomly shut down while playing black ops. Kinda scared now.

I just saw this video on YouTube for Xbox... I'm scare for both my Xbox Series X and PS5 now...

www.youtube.com

Xbox Series X random shutdown

Just a quick video of my Series X random shutdown. This is the first shutdown issue I’ve had and so far it just seems to be on Black Ops Cold War. Please ex...

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
This happens every launch. There are millions of consoles. Consumer electronics statistics are around 2% DOA.

To determine if there's anything widespread, it would need a much more reliable data set than a few anecdotes.

Benc

Nov 2, 2020
This happens every launch. There are millions of consoles. Consumer electronics statistics are around 2% DOA.

To determine if there's anything widespread, it would need a much more reliable data set than a few anecdotes.

Exactly this. Odds are this is a vocal minority, but it's still annoying none the less. Goodluck to those that are encountering issues.

Last edited:

Shifty360

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 3, 2020
Excuse me? It was a question, not a statement of fact. It's a fact that a high profile Youtube reviewer had his PS5 brick on him during review. Then this guy and others are reporting similar issues. Maybe it isn't but evidence says there might be something there. Trying to gather more info. But sure, be a defensive fanboy.

Insults as a comeback to be asked to not peddle inflammatory statements without any evidence, quality discourse right there.

Small number of people posting about issues equals launch edition issue (as you framed it) is really poor reasoning and should be challenged.

"Fanboy" out.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Question for those that having all these launch day issues, were they in-store pickups or delivered to your home? I always avoid having UPS, FedEx, or USPS deliver any expensive electronics as they tend to come with issues because of how they are manhandled in the shipping process.

Other than the blu-ray drive being loud on install, my PS5 has been near perfect. The only software problem I have seen is some severe lag in Demon's Souls at 1-2 spots for about 1 second each. Happens consistently in those spots, so I'm pinning that on bugs that need patched.

Nicko

Oct 25, 2017
Hey all, sry for not digging through previous posts.

So the issue I'm having is that the TV screen goes black after 10 seconds or so from system boot (TV is still on and can display menus). The console appears to still be on as the controller rumbles and such. I hit the power button and the system goes into rest mode. When I turn it back on from there, the screen stays on fine.

This has happened every time I turn on the system. Any idea what may be causing this?

TIA!

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Hey all, sry for not digging through previous posts.

So the issue I'm having is that the TV screen goes black after 10 seconds or so from system boot (TV is still on and can display menus). The console appears to still be on as the controller rumbles and such. I hit the power button and the system goes into rest mode. When I turn it back on from there, the screen stays on fine.

This has happened every time I turn on the system. Any idea what may be causing this?

TIA!
i posted this in the OT - would it help maybe?

if anyone is having the same issues - i had some issues with grey flickering lines and video going out for a second or two during Astro and Miles yesterday. scared the shit out of me the whole day, but flipping "4K Video Transfer Rate" down to -2 in Settings seems to have fixed it. not sure what negative effects that might have but i haven't noticed any issues since and i'm not complaining. yes i am using the included HDMI cable if you wanted to ask, though it's being run through an HDMI switch because it's hell to reach behind my mounted TV and plug in an HDMI cable for some reason.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Very much getting these vibes out of the console launches.

And we all know most of these issues with the Switch went on to become widespread issues.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
mine finally showed up today & while it's not dead I've already had it rebuild the database ~3 times in the past half hour :-/

I haven't even played anything yet, it's just downloading stuff

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
After 20 minutes of usage, UI slowed to a crawl and eventually hard locked up while adding those Playstation Plus games to my library. I rebooted and the controller prompt screen never appeared. Shutdown again and it eventually worked. Took like 10 minutes to get it functional again.

Not a good first impression. Hope it's a software problem and not a sign of hardware failure.

Kryptonic

Dec 14, 2018
USA
My PS5 Disc version worked great yesterday. Vertical on my desk, hooked up to my 48" LG CX. Ethernet connected. No external storage. Went through setup and only transferred PS4 saves(although I got an error that it failed I think but continued on). Downloaded Miles and Demon's Souls. Played Astro's Playroom and Demon's Souls and both worked great. Went in and out of rest mode a few times. Today I loaded up Miles and it crashed after I got the Rhino Rider achievement, sent the crash report. Loaded up Bugsnax and saw some artifacting when scanning my first bugsnak. Turned off the console for now, ugh. Will boot it back up soon and test things out. Another thing to mention, I'm using one of the rear USB ports to connect to my Arctis Pro Wireless DAC.

Last edited:

HOUSEJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
My PlayStation 5 completely crashed and is requiring a factory restart, requiring a reinstallation of the OS. I am so pissed.

It did it while I was downloading DLC for Borderlands 3. Borderlands 3 was suspended while I was doing it.

leder

Oct 25, 2017

That's for hardware. A lot of the issues people are reporting in here so kind like software issues.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
ReviewTechUSA's editors PS5 is borked.

His was a unit purchased from BestBuy Canada, who were mostly unhelpful with his replacement, but Sony are now sorting it for him.

Mentions he heard a weird vibrating humming or whir sound coming out of the system, as well as GPU artifacting.

Also important is that he started getting issues from the get go with multiple different games, eg crashes etc, so he likely got a lemon from the get go.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
"the database is corrupted and has to be rebuilt" i got that msg 3 times already on my ps5 i just booted up and started setting up. Hope it stops :|

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
you guys are so weird. defects happen. you may get a defective product, but you almost certainly will not.

stop all this worrying.

ReviewTechUSA's editors PS5 is borked.

His was a unit purchased from BestBuy Canada, who were mostly unhelpful with his replacement, but Sony are now sorting it for him.

Mentions he heard a weird vibrating humming or whir sound coming out of the system, as well as GPU artifacting.

Also important is that he started getting issues from the get go with multiple different games, eg crashes etc, so he likely got a lemon from the get go.

unlucky

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Has anyone RMA'd their PS5 through Sony yet? Are you able to request it via their live chat? Asking because I really don't want to sit on hold for an hour to talk to someone on the phone, but their live chat info literally says "ask non-hardware related questions..." so I feel like they'll tell me to get lost if I try it there lol

MikeE21286

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not RMAing mine. Just going to return it and try and find another one. I don't want to get back a refurb unit or a cosmetically damaged unit.

I just don't trust the RMA unless absolutely necessary or the last resort.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget the other likely culprits:

-Standing the PS5 Vertical
-Holding controller with one hand
-Downloading PS4 (and in some cases PS5) games
-Playing between 9am and 5pm on a Thursday
-Taking it out of the box

giphy.gif

FJimbonda

Oct 29, 2017
Ah shit, my PS4 Pro 500 million edition already has that problem and it sounds horrible.
No need to bring that over to PS5.

Same thing happened to my PS4 pro. Awful coil whine, so loud you could hear it through headphones.

And it's all because of their cheap and extremely shit PSU they're using. I swear if they have this problem in their ps5 I'll never buy a sony console ever again. Hardware company my ass.

NegroNinja

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know of a extended warranty I can purchase for ps5? I remember one being in the ps store on PS4 launch but I haven't seen one for ps5 yet.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

There are loads of users with exactly the same problems like rest mode/external HDD combination causing crashes and even bricking the console or data transfer with ps4 over lan cable causes bricking.

downplaying this with "this happens every launch" is sure easy but there are too many people having the same problems by now.

the system is coming in extra hot. might be the case that the firmware was not ready for launch but thats just my personal opinion.

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
So I can finally confirm the buzzing noise is coming from the PSU, as I popped the top cover off and played some demons souls and could easily tell it's coming from the PSU. The actual fan seems to be extremely quiet, but the buzz from the PSU echos through the entire console coming out of every opening possible. And there are a ton of vents so the sound just comes out in every direction.

Also something maybe worth noting is that this is a Walmart stock PS5. My brother has one from Amazon but hasn't set it up yet so I can't compare until he does.

edit: disc version

Last edited: