• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

StreetsAhead

Sep 16, 2020
Just how important is the "fresh, minced-yourself garlic" step? I tend to use stuff like this:
706450.jpg

Is the fresh stuff so much better?

Religions have been founded on lesser wisdom than this.

I use their ginger paste but the garlic is gross compared to freshly minced.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
...thats, thats called a marinade.
So you're saying if you soak it in water and vinegar, that's called a marinade, but if I brush some beaten eggs on it it's called a wash? Nah, you're just making the rules up now.

C'mon, let the washers have their win. They can wash with lemon juice and salt, sure. Maybe cut down on the water, though. See if that kicks things up a notch.

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
It kind of goes both ways though. Tons of posters trying to make non-washers feel like they're somehow dirty or unclean because they're not washing meat or chicken before cooking it.

It's definitely a tone thing. The people who are washing are responding with humor and faux-shock as a means to say, "I hear you," because it feels like that's what some people want more than anything else. I get that humor doesn't always translate well and that after the past year some people are just done with anyone who doesn't immediately respond to every leading scientific recommendation, but there's a difference in how much it affects others. Like you're not going to die from breathing the same air of someone who washes their chicken, but you might think so based on how some people are responding.

I've never washed my chicken, but I'm not going to judge a person based on whether they do or not. That's so low on the list of things to worry about with someone else unless I'm at their table and they're putting down a plate in front of me. But if we're at that point we're not just posters on a forum anymore.

Idk. A lot of this (not your post) just comes off as people looking at things without acknowledging the human element, which is that people are different and react to things in different ways. People respond differently even without including our backgrounds and upbringings, but especially when acknowledging them. There are certain things I do that are irrational to others but because of shit that's been done to me I don't feel comfortable doing otherwise. It's self-preservation and if something happens to me at least it was because of something I chose. People are sympathetic to me when I explain but it's something universally seen as bad, whereas not everyone has that luxury.

Doby

Oct 25, 2017
So what about the packaging meat/poultry comes in? Is it just me that washes it out before it goes in the recycle bin?

Easy_G

Dec 11, 2017
California
I don't normally wash meat. I have washed it though when I noticed it had some extra funk, and then cooked it a little extra too.

Clearly there is a LOT of history behind washing meat, way beyond just bacteria. In fact bacteria is probably too recent if a discovery to really be claimed as the purpose of washing meat.

Can we say both sides are right?

Also, this video, which was posted earlier, gives a great background on who washes meat and why. It's quite clearly divided along geographic and cultural lines.

www.youtube.com

Why people wash meat (or don't)

Thanks to Misen for sponsoring this video! Upgrade your kitchen with Misen's amazing cookware and knives. Go to https://Misen.com/Ragusea to get 20% off your...

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I can understand doing it because it has been a tradition for ages, it also seems like the right thing to do if you're not into this health safety thing.

But yeah, is useless or even worse than not doing it (I work in this area). Even a not well done part (like has been said) does more than throwing water on the meat.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You are probably right but again its something that has been passed down for the people who do it from generations we've always done it. Whether it actually does anything is a different story but there is historical and cultural reference point to it. My parents and family come from the Caribbean islands we live in Canada now but these are things that they learned from living there and have brought over with them (while also teaching us these things). You clean your chicken then you go about seasoning it and other stuff afterwards. I'm going to presume that most of the posters who do or have done it come from a black household like myself where we have been taught to do this.
I was also raised in a household where both my parents washed chicken too, and that was because both their parents did. I get it, there are legacy reasons people are still doing this, only later in life did my Mom stop after getting into food science, but 1.) what you are doing is more like marinating/wet brining, I wouldn't call that the sort of dangerous washing most are speaking toward in this thread, even if that is what your parents considered it. 2.) even though it's tradition it's one of those things(rinsing meat under the faucet or in a bowl you just dump into the sink) that's actually somewhat dangerous in that it does spread more bacteria and potential aerosols that to me clearly outweighs any benefit rinsing is really gonna have(and to be clear it basically has no benefit other than placebo). Which once I read that it is why I stopped when I really started getting more into cooking. In my mind I just got to take out an often messy and unnecessary step when I'm typically already trying to cook something as fast as I can because I'm hungry.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't normally wash meat. I have washed it though when I noticed it had some extra funk, and then cooked it a little extra too.

Clearly there is a LOT of history behind washing meat, way beyond just bacteria. In fact bacteria is probably too recent if a discovery to really be claimed as the purpose of washing meat.

Can we say both sides are right?

Also, this video, which was posted earlier, gives a great background on who washes meat and why. It's quite clearly divided along geographic and cultural lines.

www.youtube.com

Why people wash meat (or don't)

Thanks to Misen for sponsoring this video! Upgrade your kitchen with Misen's amazing cookware and knives. Go to https://Misen.com/Ragusea to get 20% off your...

No we can't say that both sides are right, really. It's not like a crime to wash meat but there isn't any good reason to do so.

Easy_G

Dec 11, 2017
California
No we can't say that both sides are right, really. It's not like a crime to wash meat but there isn't any good reason to do so.
I'm not sure how I'm arguing for the side I'm not on, but did you watch the video? The last minute even has a good summary saying go ahead and wash if you really want to, but don't do it under a running faucet.

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Read the first page and saw that the backfire happened quick and effectively as it should, then saw we were at page 20 and somehow now we are defending this non sense lol don't wash your meat. I don't care what reason you have, it's doing nothing except spreading bacteria around your kitchen

RetroRunner

Dec 6, 2020
Reading through this topic peoole are way too upset about others following a handed down practice that while unsanitary isn't killing or hurting people. All this from a website that likes to brag about eating ass and not showering often

Bionic

Oct 27, 2017
I read the whole thread, one quick question: if I am ugly, and I want to be pretty, is it ok for me to wash my seed oil before I use it? Or should I be patting it dry with a paper towel instead?

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Reading through this topic peoole are way too upset about others following a handed down practice that while unsanitary isn't killing or hurting people. All this from a website that likes to brag about eating ass and not showering often
What's even funnier is people using the science as an ad hoc justification. Great Grandma Barbara Ann didn't give a fuck about the CDC. She just didn't wash meat because that's how her mother did it, and her mom, and so on and so forth; the science just happened to fall in their favor when it was eventually studied. Which is cool, but when you're using that information to stop short of just calling other groups stupid, anti-science savages, well now, you see how this nonsense gets to this long of a thread.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
I read the whole thread, one quick question: if I am ugly, and I want to be pretty, is it ok for me to wash my seed oil before I use it? Or should I be patting it dry with a paper towel instead?
whatever you do, don't wash your face under a faucet, you'll splash your ugliness everywhere

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious as to what those "benefits" may be.
giornaleitalianodinefrologia.it

The historical relevance of urine and its future implications - GIN

Introduction In the ancient times urine was considered a sacred element and were related to Hindu’s ceremonies and to Tantric religious traditions (1). Urine was not considered as a waste product of the body but a distilled product selected from the blood. The Sanskrit book Shivambu’ kalpa Vidhi...

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Great minds…
giornaleitalianodinefrologia.it

The historical relevance of urine and its future implications - GIN

Introduction In the ancient times urine was considered a sacred element and were related to Hindu’s ceremonies and to Tantric religious traditions (1). Urine was not considered as a waste product of the body but a distilled product selected from the blood. The Sanskrit book Shivambu’ kalpa Vidhi...
Yep, thought so.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017

To all angry white people yelling about science of not washing: watch this video. Nice friendly youtuber guy will go through all the facts and make you feel smart and validated because You Are Right, while at the same time gently explaining why you don't need to be yelling at other people on the internet about this.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
So what about the packaging meat/poultry comes in? Is it just me that washes it out before it goes in the recycle bin?

Most meat trays are made from Styrofoam and it's very rare for recycling facilities to take Styrofoam, let alone Styrofoam that plausibly had raw meat on it. You may want to specifically check if your facility takes the material your meat trays are made of just to make sure you aren't creating extra work for them having to pick out the trays and throw them into the garbage themselves.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
If it's from the packaging container then I'm washing it, Usually if you buy a fresh from the store they usually wash it before they give it to you. What mines do...

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
What's even funnier is people using the science as an ad hoc justification. Great Grandma Barbara Ann didn't give a fuck about the CDC. She just didn't wash meat because that's how her mother did it, and her mom, and so on and so forth; the science just happened to fall in their favor when it was eventually studied. Which is cool, but when you're using that information to stop short of just calling other groups stupid, anti-science savages, well now, you see how this nonsense gets to this long of a thread.

What gets me about "it's science!" is that virtually everyone has *some* food safety rule(s) that they ignore or at least approach very casually. Sending kids to school with sandwiches in paper sacks, stuffing the bird on thanksgiving, the aforementioned consumption of raw cookie dough, keeping leftovers beyond two days or whatever it is, etc etc etc. Nobody here's an angel in the eyes of the FDA.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I thought everyone wanted to do better than those that came before them. Like, it's fine that your parents and grandparents did it, they had their reasons. But you've been taught otherwise now and it's ok to not continue with useless traditions like washing chicken.

Or continue on, as long as you know it's not actually doing anything but placebo.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
What gets me about "it's science!" is that virtually everyone has *some* food safety rule(s) that they ignore or at least approach very casually. Sending kids to school with sandwiches in paper sacks, stuffing the bird on thanksgiving, the aforementioned consumption of raw cookie dough, keeping leftovers beyond two days or whatever it is, etc etc etc. Nobody here's an angel in the eyes of the FDA.
Turkey stuffing creeps me the fuck out.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
wait people actually put stuffing inside the turkey while it cooks?

I've literally never seen this.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
putting stuffing inside the turkey is bad for the turkey and the stuffing

it's the worst of both worlds

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
wait people actually put stuffing inside the turkey while it cooks?

I've literally never seen this.

Um it's called stuffing. Because you stuff it in the bird.

Personally I make it separately but when I grew up 90% of all the families I knew, including my own, stuffed at least some in the bird.

You know people literally just dice up white castle burgers and stuff those, right?

Anyhow, I don't watch my raw meat, I cook it to the point of pasteurization (mostly sous vide) and have no worries about foodborne illness. I also pasteurize eggs that go in my smoothies. 135F for 75 minutes, in the shell.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm 37 tomorrow, and literally never seen it cooked in the bird. It'd always made in a casserole dish in the oven or in a pot over the stove.

Im sure at some point in history it started out like that, but that's not how it's made today.

There are 100% still plenty of people who do it.

www.allrecipes.com

Easy Beginner's Turkey with Stuffing

This Thanksgiving turkey and stuffing recipe is delicious and easy to make. It's great for beginner cooks, but experts will be just as impressed!

bL25BWu.png

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
I'm 37 tomorrow, and literally never seen it cooked in the bird. It'd always made in a casserole dish in the oven or in a pot over the stove.

Im sure at some point in history it started out like that, but that's not how it's made today.

I'm 31, I've been to several thanksgivings in my day, and it's really pretty common where I'm from.

My mom would make some in the turkey, and then another set prepared separately.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
The problem with stuffing is it makes the turkey take longer to cook. The white meat dries out and you have to take extra steps to somewhat prevent it. Better not to stuff the turkey and cook them separately.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
Do the meat washers take the crab, shrimp and lobster apart out of the shell and wash it first before cooking it?

exodus

Oct 25, 2017

It's absolutely how a large portion of people do it.

But hey, if you want the best cooked turkey you should be separating the white meat and dark meat or at the very least spatchcock. But sometimes tradition wins out.