• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There is no real argument besides the fact that not all of his accusers have hard video evidence. And even if they did, there would be some other excuse. Really it's just Vic fangirls and trolls who want women to 'stay in their rightful place'.
Fangirls are a minority, and calling them trolls would imply they know better. It's mostly sexists and plain morons.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Yellowflash was a huge comicsgator and Ethan Van Sciver tried jumping into it as well but failed. The animegate hashtag existed before all this started and was being headed by yellowflash and other gators.

Edit: Oh yeah, and lets also not forget that Thequartering and Bounding into Comics have thrown their weight in as well.
You're not being as subtle about this as you think you are. Tell us more about the "discourse". Do facts care about our feelings?
What a blast from the past, seeing a classic gamergate defense used to defend gamergaters trying to gamergate in different fandoms five years later. It's almost nostalgic.
~Different views~ and poor, oppressed ~opposing viewpoints~ indeed, always trying to pretend the involved points are equal.

The playbook sure doesn't change.
I want to make this perfectly clear because I think my viewpoints are being grossly misrepresented:

I am absolutely not defending any specific gamegater or gamegater adjacent person. I'm only stating a belief that a majority of people are just parroting the beliefs of the larger personalities out of ignorance, and immediately dismissing them as the same type of garbage means no one is there to talk to them to explain why it's garbage and they never learn how incorrect those views are.

This all goes back to my earlier statements on how I worry this situation is essentially a huge alt-right breeding ground because if you assume everyone out there is arguing in bad faith, you start looking like a fanatic and unintentionally reinforce the "me vs. the world" mentality.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I found out today that my best friends have been watching Shield Hero. :/

And an acquaintance who keeps coming to our gatherings also happens to like Shield Hero. Not surprising since he also happens to be a Vic supporter/Monica Rial hater.
Wait what's wrong with Shield Hero? I've been watching some clips of it on YouTube but that's as far as I know about the story.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wait what's wrong with Shield Hero? I've been watching some clips of it on YouTube but that's as far as I know about the story.
Some people will take the plot and match it with "incel" but I think that's off the mark as it doesn't feel that way to me.

The part where I can see someone finding questionable is that it has slaves. But even then, it's considered taboo anyway in the realm.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
well let's not forget that the first major plot point is a super over the top ham fisted false rape allegation on the main character, or the fact that the main character is an unrepentant douche, or the fact that the main character owns multiple slaves, even when he doesn't even need them, or the fact that the series tries to tell you that it's okay for the main character to own slaves because he's 'nice' to them. that among many other problems. fuck that show

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

It has slavery themes and iirc a rape victim who's made out to be the villain, then uses her being raped again as some sort of 'justice' despite the fact she was never the villain they paint her as repeatedly seeing as she was really the victim that the show will not acknowledge.

That's from the odd mention here and there. Not watched since honestly it sounds like absolute trash

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Some people will take the plot and match it with "incel" but I think that's off the mark as it doesn't feel that way to me.

The part where I can see someone finding questionable is that it has slaves. But even then, it's considered taboo anyway in the realm.
The main point that draws Shield Hero into this situation is the false rape accusation that forms the core of the story. It gets latched on to a lot as an example of what all rape accusers without video evidence must actually be.

The source material also doubles down on the "women are terrible unless enslaved to your will" stuff in the grossest fashion possible further down the line, though the anime will probably never reach that point in the story.

Last edited:

deathkiller

Apr 11, 2018
The "first draft" of the Shield Hero story (it's web novel) included the protagonist hating all women, multiple references to his slaves suffering and sending the woman that accused him of rape to actually being raped. The anime and other recent iterations of the story have cut down most of it but the theme of "the only women that I trust are my slaves" remains.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
well let's not forget that the first major plot point is a super over the top ham fisted false rape allegation on the main character, or the fact that the main character is an unrepentant douche, or the fact that the main character owns multiple slaves, even when he doesn't even need them, or the fact that the series tries to tell you that it's okay for the main character to own slaves because he's 'nice' to them. that among many other problems. fuck that show
Main character becomes a douche cause everyone is a douche to him not just this woman. As for "over the top ham", isn't that just anime in general? HxH that last episode had a man age cause he was scared.

As for the slave bit I guess for me I see this as one of those monster catching games. I was actually fine with the slave aspect up until his first slave got the seal removed and she asked to be his slave again. Felt like unnecessary fan service. I'll admit I do like the fact that he has progression with his time with her and you see his true intentions when he is willing to give his life when she is too afraid to fight a monster due to a phobia.

I see this anime as not for everyone but at the same time I feel like it's not as bad as some make it out to be.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
And I believe the "villian" gets defeated, made a slave herself, renamed "Bitch" and then raped alot.

But I don't recall if that's 100% accurate cause I'm only going by what I read about it.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
we should probably get back on topic shouldn't we?

anyway I'm curious to know if Sabat and Rial knew about Vic being there before that tweet

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know who this YellowFlash guy is but I keep seeing his vids pop up in my feed and I can tell he's obsessed with this.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone know if many of Vic's accusers will be at that con? Just seems really unsafe in general.

Sorry for getting things off-topic :(

I had no idea about the Shield Hero stuff.

One of the reasons it gets brought up in this thread is because a lot of Vic stans were comparing him directly to the lead character since the premise in the show has him being falsely accused by an opportunistic woman.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Read up on that shield hero thing, the false accusation seems to be the least of its problems. Dude buys a slave who falls in love with him or forces her to fight. Of course she starts off as a loli. Gets the one girl who accused him to be called bitch and the other heroes turn out to be shit stains while he is always right. Though the wiki talked about how he capture a bunch of bandits, robbed them so they couldn't bribe the guards to turn on them and sold them into slavery to trade for the people they enslaved. That is such a Mount and Blade thing, I couldn't help but laugh at that. Shit is wild.

The thing reads like an incel manifesto. Shunned by Society, but I'll save them anyways. The single beautiful virgin follows me wherever I go. The slutty looking one turns out to be a whore and liar! The other heroes are all idiots to my superior tactics.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kameha-con backtracking is shitty news... hope none of the other cons do likewise.

I don't know who this YellowFlash guy is but I keep seeing his vids pop up in my feed and I can tell he's obsessed with this.

Yeah, this prick's videos keep getting rec'd to me by Youtube as well. The thumbnails for them alone got a big ole "yikes" outta me.

These people are like a cult.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So apparently people are accusing Chris Sabat and Monica Rial into taking Vic off the guest list or something?

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, sue them based on what? Did they sign a contract beforehand? Even if that's a case, can't future cons just stop dealing with Vic in the first place?

By the way, I know there was an article with a detailed summary of the whole situation that was posted earlier, does anyone have a link to it? Google is not my friend in this situation. Hell, I'm getting more fucked up YouTube recommendations than I used to (someone with "reich" in their username).

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
I keep seeing back-and-forth on the whole "Vic's lawyer suing Kamehacon" down at Kanzenshuu, so a proper source for that would appreciated. I'm in the same rut as L Thammy where I just keep getting gross-ass search results/propaganda rather than anything genuine.

(Just to be clear, we're talking about the blackface guy, right? Weren't they swearing up and down not even a month ago he WASN'T Vic's lawyer? lol)

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I want to make this perfectly clear because I think my viewpoints are being grossly misrepresented:

I am absolutely not defending any specific gamegater or gamegater adjacent person. I'm only stating a belief that a majority of people are just parroting the beliefs of the larger personalities out of ignorance, and immediately dismissing them as the same type of garbage means no one is there to talk to them to explain why it's garbage and they never learn how incorrect those views are.

This all goes back to my earlier statements on how I worry this situation is essentially a huge alt-right breeding ground because if you assume everyone out there is arguing in bad faith, you start looking like a fanatic and unintentionally reinforce the "me vs. the world" mentality.

So, having followed Gamergate closely during its height, I do think there were a lot of people then that were misled. The thing is, most of them were misled based on petty gamer shit. You already had a bunch of people who were angry about their favourite games getting bad scores from reviewers, which isn't really as much of a problem in the real world as it is in their own stupid little minds, and then they'd go off to Twitter to say actually that's what Gamergate was about. But they'd never actually go to the Gamergate hangouts like /gg/, where you'd very quickly bump into, say, an infographic about how it's actually women being allowed to vote and not the jews that is responsible for the decline of conservatism, at which point it becomes very clear that it's not about that.

Eventually all of the useful idiots either found out that Gamergate wasn't what they thought it was, or that the label was so finally associated with other things that their narrative would never win, and so they abandoned it. Gamergate still continues, but the people who are still there know exactly what it is.

From what I can tell, this StandWithVic stuff doesn't seem to have that going on. There's no existing nerd issue it's exploiting. There's no ambiguity as to what it's about. It's laser focused on the poor abuser and the nasty women who have so selfishly called out his behaviour. Admittedly I haven't been following this as closely, but the only thing I've seen so far that tries to tie it into anything else was that one '90s dubbing versus modern dubbing image that still ended up showing its politics and ranting about how terrible labour unions are.

I don't know if they're all disingenuous or maybe some of them could be dumb teens who are being misled, but ultimately it seems that everyone who goes on the StandWithVic side has to be sold on the story that Vic is the victim and everyone who called him out is evil, because there's nothing else to support.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
From what I can tell, this StandWithVic stuff doesn't seem to have that going on. There's no existing nerd issue it's exploiting. There's no ambiguity as to what it's about. It's laser focused on the poor abuser and the nasty women who have so selfishly called out his behaviour. Admittedly I haven't been following this as closely, but the only thing I've seen so far that tries to tie it into anything else was that one '90s dubbing versus modern dubbing image that still ended up showing its politics and ranting about how terrible labour unions are.

I don't know if they're all disingenuous or maybe some of them could be dumb teens who are being misled, but ultimately it seems that everyone who goes on the StandWithVic side has to be sold on the story that Vic is the victim and everyone who called him out is evil, because there's nothing else to support.

That's because this time they don't have a "Gamers are Dead" and "GamesJournoPro" secondary target to go after to make it seem like it was actually about there infamous "Ethics in Game Journalism" bullshit cover tactic.

This time we don't have political pundits saying to let the boys have there toys, mainstream actors creating there hash tag for them and the such. It kept the discussion tight with less targets to go for and a lot less popular allies.

The Vic supporters did try to get AnimeGate trending as a hash tag but the truth is anime is not a popular or as widespread as video games.

It's good though. Easier to see through the bullshit.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
So apparently Vic's lawyer threatened to sue the con if they didn't invite him back. Ugh.
But... I thought bullying cons into doing what you want was a bad thing, right?

Wait, sue them based on what? Did they sign a contract beforehand? Even if that's a case, can't future cons just stop dealing with Vic in the first place?
Exactly, by threatening legal action against cons dude is completely fucking himself over. No con is gonna want to deal with that.

I keep seeing back-and-forth on the whole "Vic's lawyer suing Kamehacon" down at Kanzenshuu, so a proper source for that would appreciated. I'm in the same rut as L Thammy where I just keep getting gross-ass search results/propaganda rather than anything genuine.

(Just to be clear, we're talking about the blackface guy, right? Weren't they swearing up and down not even a month ago he WASN'T Vic's lawyer? lol)
I'm assuming it probably came from blackface lawyers livestream last night with Vic's actual lawyer.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
That's because this time they don't have a "Gamers are Dead" and "GamesJournoPro" secondary target to go after to make it seem like it was actually about there infamous "Ethics in Game Journalism" bullshit cover tactic.

This time we don't have political pundits saying to let the boys have there toys, mainstream actors creating there hash tag for them and the such. It kept the discussion tight with less targets to go for and a lot less popular allies.

The Vic supporters did try to get AnimeGate trending as a hash tag but the truth is anime is not a popular or as widespread as video games.

It's good though. Easier to see through the bullshit.

On that part. The big 4chan boards, as far as I know, were /b/, /v/, and /a/. Naturally these are also the ones deepest into the 4chan culture. So anime memes that spread out of /a/ tend to spread that culture with it.

I don't have any concrete evidence of this, but I get the sense that /a/ had more influence on anime culture before this than /v/ did on general gaming culture before Gamergate, probably because video games are more driven by corporations while anime has been more driven by fans. I'm pretty sure I've read far more fan translated manga than official ones, and even if officially licensed anime is getting more of a presence now, a lot of those are fan translation groups that have made careers out of their hobby.

A random example, but I use an alternative marketplace app, Qooapp, to download Japanese apps. A while ago, I saw an official discussion thread on the app's main page where they asked - while roleplaying as a cutesy anime girl who refers to herself in third person, of course - if morality has a place in your anime purchasing decisions, or something like that. All of the comments were along the lines of "what the fuck do morals have to do with anime". I don't think there was anything specifically related to Vic there, but it just reeks of how 4chan's culture has its fangs in western anime culture.

So I tend to think that Gamergate was a more destructive in that it was radicalizing a lot of nihilistic nerds, whereas that's been injected deeper into anime fandom a long time ago, and so much of StandWithVic's reach is to the same actors that this already appealed to. Even looking at the central issue, this wasn't something that came out of the blue. Vic was already getting away with this stuff, and because he's facing consequences now, there's pushback.

Last edited:

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Read up on that shield hero thing, the false accusation seems to be the least of its problems. Dude buys a slave who falls in love with him or forces her to fight. Of course she starts off as a loli. Gets the one girl who accused him to be called bitch and the other heroes turn out to be shit stains while he is always right. Though the wiki talked about how he capture a bunch of bandits, robbed them so they couldn't bribe the guards to turn on them and sold them into slavery to trade for the people they enslaved. That is such a Mount and Blade thing, I couldn't help but laugh at that. Shit is wild.

The thing reads like an incel manifesto. Shunned by Society, but I'll save them anyways. The single beautiful virgin follows me wherever I go. The slutty looking one turns out to be a whore and liar! The other heroes are all idiots to my superior tactics.
Thats+actually+a+pretty+good+point+_1f80e1953fa6121223ab5a7c48d4e2c5.jpg

Yeah, I can see that.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

By the way, I know there was an article with a detailed summary of the whole situation that was posted earlier, does anyone have a link to it? Google is not my friend in this situation. Hell, I'm getting more fucked up YouTube recommendations than I used to (someone with "reich" in their username).
Probably thinking of this one.
https://io9.gizmodo.com/one-of-anime-s-biggest-voices-accused-of-sexual-harassm-1832390505