• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
people severely need to stop thinking of celebrities as their friends just because they voice a character they like or whatever. The defence force on Twitter is pathetic

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, looking at the ratio on FUNimation's tweet is really depressing. Number of the people who I follow (and mutuals) have been defending FUNimation in this tweet, but seems people just don't care. Like, FUNimation has a lot of issues, but they're absolute,y 100%, in the right here. They did the right thing.

Monica Rial actually chimed in on it a couple times (mostly to document and note about harassment, but also to actually explain something from FUNimation's end). Of course, that prompted people to go absolutely volatile towards her responses.

Man, I'm really sorry for the women (and even some which have been men) who've dealt Vic in an absolutely awful way, and this is the response the community is giving them for telling their stories. It's absolutely awful.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Man, looking at the ratio on FUNimation's tweet is really depressing. Number of the people who I follow (and mutuals) have been defending FUNimation in this tweet, but seems people just don't care. Like, FUNimation has a lot of issues, but they're absolute,y 100%, in the right here. They did the right thing.

Monica Rial actually chimed in on it a couple times (mostly to document and note about harassment, but also to actually explain something from FUNimation's end). Of course, that prompted people to go absolutely volatile towards her responses.

Man, I'm really sorry for the women (and even some which have been men) who've dealt Vic in an absolutely awful way, and this is the response the community is giving them for telling their stories. It's absolutely awful.

I've looked at a lot of the twitter accounts of the defenders and most of them appear to be children.

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've looked at a lot of the twitter accounts of the defenders and most of them appear to be children.

Some of them are Twitter accounts seemingly only created in the past couple of weeks exclusively for the purposes of defending Vic too. There's clearly a lot of bandwagon jumping from alt-right scumbags happening here in addition to just the crazy zealots.

MarzGurl

Jan 23, 2019
Long Beach, CA
Vic could always go back to producing Christian vocal groups like DC Talk. It would satisfy people who say he should still have a job but keep him from being famous and in a position to hurt fans.

But then, I wonder if victims would feel like justice was truly served? I was not directly a victim, so I cannot say.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA

Yeah, it's funny how that works. These are the same type of people who say "Oh come on, they should've come forward when it first happened!" I have to admit this incident is really illuminating for me as crap that happened to me was never by a famous person, so I never really considered the whole "fan backlash/harassment campaign". It was always the emotional blackmail and fear of retaliation keeping me quiet. Not a day goes by where I don't wish I could've spoken up sooner (well that and it wasn't really ME who ended up speaking out originally). Initially when I see people saying, "Well, something happened to me, but I really don't want to say." My initial thought is shialaboufjustdoit.gif because of my own frustration of not coming out sooner. These women have a lot more crap to deal with and I'm just amazed. Sorry if OT, just had to get that off my chest.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018

I might need to take a social media break soon. Twitter is just too much lately with some of these vile responses.

Feb 5, 2019
People are now harassing Monica Rial on her personal Instagram account.

The harassing comments were just deleted by Monica. She's watching her account carefully and that's smart of her.

Last edited:

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
People are now harassing Monica Rial on her personal Instagram account.
Yeah, they're going to be hounding her incessantly on every social media platform imaginable for the next little while.
That's easy enough to ignore.

My real concern is whether anyone chooses to act out in an unruly fashion against Monica in person.
I sincerely wish her next convention date wasn't in Florida.

Feb 5, 2019
Yeah, they're going to be hounding her incessantly on every social media platform imaginable for the next little while.
That's easy enough to ignore.

My real concern is whether anyone chooses to act out in an unruly fashion against Monica in person.
I sincerely wish her next convention date wasn't in Florida.

Yes, but the context in which the harassing comments were posted on Instagram was really unnerving. The situation scared the shit out of me for a couple of minutes.

I can see why you're afraid for Monica's safety at the next con that she's attending. I know a little about the Stand Your Ground law in Florida. :/ :(

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully Rial and any other VA/industry person getting these type of vile and disgusting remarks/threats will have some measure of security around them if they go to any conventions.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, but the context in which the harassing comments were posted on Instagram was really unnerving. The situation scared the shit out of me for a couple of minutes.

I can see why you're afraid for Monica's safety at the next con that she's attending. I know a little about the Stand Your Ground law in Florida. :/ :(
Luckily, most of these e-thugs aren't going to act out in person.

But for those that will, I'm sure now that this isn't just a small news story, all of the future events, particularly for her and others who gave their voice, will be much more closely guarded, and heightened security, at least for some time.

Feb 5, 2019
Luckily, most of these e-thugs aren't going to act out in person.

But for those that will, I'm sure now that this isn't just a small news story, all of the future events, particularly for her and others who gave their voice, will be much more closely guarded, and heightened security, at least for some time.

My friend posted a comment asking if Monica's fanmail address was still active and explained that they wanted to send Monica a letter and a gift. Monica replied and gave out her address at Funimation. The e-thugs saw that as an opportunity to be e-thugs and it scared the bajeezus out of my friend and I.

If I learn that anyone has sent Monica anything harmful to her work address then I'm gonna be angry af.

I hope Monica has a bunch of security guards around her at her next con.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
With another Vic thread open to discuss Funimation's cut ties, has this one run its course? I think the current Monica topic's vital for discussion, but it's getting a tad confusing keeping up with both threads.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
My friend posted a comment asking if Monica's fanmail address was still active and explained that they wanted to send Monica a letter and a gift. Monica replied and gave out her address at Funimation. The e-thugs saw that as an opportunity to be e-thugs and it scared the bajeezus out of my friend and I.

If I learn that anyone has sent Monica anything harmful to her work address then I'm gonna be angry af.

I hope Monica has a bunch of security guards around her at her next con.
As she has previously stated, she has already gotten law enforcement involved, so if this is what some of these people choose to do, they will be getting much more than they bargained for.

That is not to say that this will deter them from doing so, but I do feel projecting your fears onto hear feels unnecessary, and we should do more to put our faith into her knowing exactly what she was doing when she decided to come out and speak her mind on this matter, and understanding there will be backlash.

Many of these threats aren't just meant for her, and other VAs who have spoken out, but also to her supporters. Their hope is not to just scare her, but to scare her supporters from not being able to be so vocal about it. And if you feel you are starting to fear for her, rather than be concerned for her, than they are doing their job in instilling fear.

Don't let these shitbags get to you, as they are shitbags for a reason, and should not be allowed to continue to prey on others as Vic did himself. They are a projection of Vic, and just those who have spoken out against him have done, it's time to stand strong, and not start spreading fear stories, but stories of strength, and empowerment that it's not a time to be backing down in the face of these trivial times. Concern is totally warranted, but don't let them make you fearful for yourself or anyone else.

Need to stay strong, and that's for all of us who want to continue this fight.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
All of the allies who will show up to defend Monica and be her bodyguards from assholes at events:
tenor.gif

She was at Anime Boston last year, but she's not currently listed this year. I might consider going just to support her if she's added.

Feb 5, 2019
As she has previously stated, she has already gotten law enforcement involved, so if this is what some of these people choose to do, they will be getting much more than they bargained for.

That is not to say that this will deter them from doing so, but I do feel projecting your fears onto hear feels unnecessary, and we should do more to put our faith into her knowing exactly what she was doing when she decided to come out and speak her mind on this matter, and understanding there will be backlash.

Many of these threats aren't just meant for her, and other VAs who have spoken out, but also to her supporters. Their hope is not to just scare her, but to scare her supporters from not being able to be so vocal about it. And if you feel you are starting to fear for her, rather than be concerned for her, than they are doing their job in instilling fear.

Don't let these shitbags get to you, as they are shitbags for a reason, and should not be allowed to continue to prey on others as Vic did himself. They are a projection of Vic, and just those who have spoken out against him have done, it's time to stand strong, and not start spreading fear stories, but stories of strength, and empowerment that it's not a time to be backing down in the face of these trivial times. Concern is totally warranted, but don't let them make you fearful for yourself or anyone else.

Need to stay strong, and that's for all of us who want to continue this fight.

Thanks for helping me put everything into perspective. I trust that Monica knows how to protect herself.

My friends and I will not let fear get the best of us. My friend reported one of the harassing comments twice, so good for her.

Where is the new separate thread about Vic?

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
With another Vic thread open to discuss Funimation's cut ties, has this one run its course? I think the current Monica topic's vital for discussion, but it's getting a tad confusing keeping up with both threads.
Nah, this one has a lot of information as to what's been going on and broadly covers the topic. Whereas the other thread is specifically about Funimation's response.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
One of my friends isnt famous, but has done a bit of voicework. She posted a story of her own unpleasant encounter with Vic on Facebook, and while she hasn't gotten death threats (that I'm aware of), shes definitely gotten replies calling her a liar and saying the whole thing is a witch hunt. But the worst thing is these are replies from people that actually know her.

I dont understand the defense force he has.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Out of morbid curiosity I decided to check the old place to see how they were reacting to this. Did you know this is the "blatant witch-hunt thread"?

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
While I don't agree with the conclusions they've drawn over this and, well, just about anything, I'm not going to fault them for wanting to group together with other like-minded people. We don't need to beat that dead horse.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Out of morbid curiosity I decided to check the old place to see how they were reacting to this. Did you know this is the "blatant witch-hunt thread"?
Holy fuck did I wish I didnt browse that out of morbid curiosity, and how the fuck is the discussion a political one(its found in the political gaf part)

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017

This is so heartbreaking to see yet I'm not surprised...

I've been sexually assaulted twice and taken advantage of for sex while drunk and all of them have effected me greatly. The latest being sexually assaulted by a random stranger at a store the weekend after thanksgiving 2017. I was groped all over and dry humped for nearly 10 minutes, I felt dehumanized and so violated that all I wanted to do when I got away was leave the store and go home. I was afraid to go to the police or security and report the creep as even some of my family didn't believe me when I told them and assumed I was making it up for attention I couldn't bear going to the authorities and possibly getting a similar reaction. My heart goes out to all the woman/girls who have been made uncomfortable and violated by Vic over the years as I've heard many stories throughout the years of the gross things he's done. Seeing the reactions like the above to victims breaks my heart but I'm proud for all the woman who are so strong and are speaking out against Vic, they are far stronger then me.

It's so sadded for all the attacks the other voice actors and the victims are getting from these awful people. =/

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's funny how all the people preaching "innocent until proven guilty" don't feel the need to give the accusers the same courtesy.

Did I say funny? I meant infuriating.

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
The thing that's most beyond me is that it's not like this is the end of Vic's life or something. I guarantee you he'll either bounce back in non-credited roles in video game dubs (he's done a few), or he'll go back to being a youth minister or something. He will survive, I'm sure he'll still accept fanmail and not shut down his fan club. If, for some bizarre reason, someone's still a fan, you still have avenues to express that to him. And his roles in FMA and Ouran and the four Broly movies are still there, and likely (unfortunately) won't be redubbed. He just won't have access to young girls and women via the voiceover industry or the con circuit any longer. And if he wanted to continue working both so bad, well... he should've thought of that before he was a creep. But it sounds like he's been that way since before he was even in the industry so... I doubt he was going to change, or based on his non-apologies, ever will.

Basically, people need to calm the fuck down, they're acting like he's being sent to the stockades. So what if he's not Qrow anymore? Voice actors change all the time for actual infuriating reasons (low pay, being bullied by the company in question, just flat out not asked to return, etc.), but few care then! Why do you care now when there's an actual GOOD reason to drop someone? Sheesh....

This is so heartbreaking to see yet I'm not surprised...

I've been sexually assaulted twice and taken advantage of for sex while drunk and all of them have effected me greatly. The latest being sexually assaulted by a random stranger at a store the weekend after thanksgiving 2017. I was groped all over and dry humped for nearly 10 minutes, I felt dehumanized and so violated that all I wanted to do when I got away was leave the store and go home. I was afraid to go to the police or security and report the creep as even some of my family didn't believe me when I told them and assumed I was making it up for attention I couldn't bear going to the authorities and possibly getting a similar reaction. My heart goes out to all the woman/girls who have been made uncomfortable and violated by Vic over the years as I've heard many stories throughout the years of the gross things he's done. Seeing the reactions like the above to victims breaks my heart but I'm proud for all the woman who are so strong and are speaking out against Vic, they are far stronger then me.

It's so sadded for all the attacks the other voice actors and the victims are getting from these awful people. =/
Oh God. Thank you for sharing, it must've taken a lot to bring this up. I'm so sorry that happened to you. And don't say you're not strong, to be able to keep on keeping on after such a thing is strength enough. We all just need to do better as a society so people in your situation won't be scared to go to the police. Believe survivors.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
The thing that's most beyond me is that it's not like this is the end of Vic's life or something. I guarantee you he'll either bounce back in non-credited roles in video game dubs (he's done a few), or he'll go back to being a youth minister or something. He will survive, I'm sure he'll still accept fanmail and not shut down his fan club. If, for some bizarre reason, someone's still a fan, you still have avenues to express that to him. And his roles in FMA and Ouran and the four Broly movies are still there, and likely (unfortunately) won't be redubbed. He just won't have access to young girls and women via the voiceover industry or the con circuit any longer. And if he wanted to continue working both so bad, well... he should've thought of that before he was a creep. But it sounds like he's been that way since before he was even in the industry so... I doubt he was going to change, or based on his non-apologies, ever will.

Basically, people need to calm the fuck down, they're acting like he's being sent to the stockades. So what if he's not Qrow anymore? Voice actors change all the time for actual infuriating reasons (low pay, being bullied by the company in question, just flat out not asked to return, etc.), but few care then! Why do you care now when there's an actual GOOD reason to drop someone? Sheesh....

Oh God. Thank you for sharing, it must've taken a lot to bring this up. I'm so sorry that happened to you. And don't say you're not strong, to be able to keep on keeping on after such a thing is strength enough. We all just need to do better as a society so people in your situation won't be scared to go to the police. Believe survivors.
No one is going to hire him as a youth minister.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
No one is going to hire him as a youth minister.
I would like to believe you on that one. I'm of the belief that 56-year-old leopards don't change their spots and that Vic will seek out another field of employ that puts him in a position of authority/influence with direct access to young impressionable girls/women that he can impose himself on.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I can do a hammy nasally voice and I'm neither a serial harrasser nor SAG. Hire me, Accolade
What could possibly go wrong

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Like, I would sincerely HOPE not. But I have severe doubts. I have a feeling a lot of groups in Texas, particularly evangelical ones, would just accept "I didn't do it" or "I've changed". I'd love to be proven wrong though.
I was thinking the same thing, but as soon as we get wind, I think we'd generate enough bad publicity about it for the church to back down.

Murkas

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No shit there's a load of defenders.

I am shocked that fans of a medium that weirdly sexualises kids and teens, and defend the medium sexualising kids and teens, are defending a dude molesting people.