• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Doubtful. As sony themselves have said it doesnt make sense to put a 100m budget game onto a subscription service. Plus it would probably make the $70 price point look even worse for them

CarterTax

Oct 25, 2017
While I am doubtful of a specific 'counter' to GamePass, I always operated under the assumption that Sony would announce their own services or content in due time as they saw fit and as they got things in place.

A lot of the GamePass arguments seemingly operate under the assumption that Sony would remain stagnant as Microsoft leapfrogs them in services and content and I just think that things are too early to call in regards to Sony's positioning.

This generation just started. It'll be interesting.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Why are we using Jaffee when Ryan himself said they were working on something?

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Doubtful. As sony themselves have said it doesnt make sense to put a 100m budget game onto a subscription service. Plus it would probably make the $70 price point look even worse for them

Jim Ryan made his comment about having something to say in regards to competing with Game Pass after his $100M comment.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
I don't see why you wouldn't bundle PSNOW in with a PSPSS. Xbox has done it and it's surprisingly good. Let the market decide if Sony can compete for rentals.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK

That price point is still there for Xbox customers who aren't on Gamepass though, it's not just specific to Sony.

May 17, 2018
Y'all don't keep up with Jaffe, but, he had Michael Mumbauer on his show recently after he left VASG and basically broke all this TLOU remake news without literally spelling it out. He started the studio and spells out how his vision was for them to basically be a remake-studio as well as venturing into making tv shows based on PS games.

I know many have written Jaffe off already, but, he does still have his connections.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
No way Sony can respond nearly as good. Gamepass is on PC and Xbox two platforms get their games day 1.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Companies say a lot of things. What is "unsustainable" now might suddenly make sense tomorrow.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, will this be a separate service from PSNow? Presumably they would just take PSNow and actively add more current games to it. Because I feel like that's the main difference between PSNow and GamePass, right? That and just in general MS seems to more actively update GamePass.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Don't get my hopes up. This would be great if it's loaded with all of Sony's content.

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Be fun to watch all the people that talked shit about Gamepass do a 180 if Sony announces theirs.

amstradcpc

Oct 27, 2017
But PSNow is like GP without first day games. Adding that wouldnt take time, just decide to do it.
Maybe yes, they in fact are trying something like getting Crunchyroll(that is in more countries than Funimation) and add games and movies to it.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
I mean, Sony pretty much HAS to come up with a better, more competitive equivalent to gamepass in the long-run. No amount of "But PS5s are sold out in XYZ!" takes away from that fact. MS is redefining the way people buy and consume games at the moment, with X-cloud and gamepass. Sony could sell 150m consoles this gen and still lose market share if MS's big strategy come off. Yes, there are other players in these markets, but none of them have disrupted things quite like MS. So this is good news and hopefully shows the market placing pressure on a business.

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
Legacy sub is fine but people want new games. Maybe offer a higher tier of plus that includes a big release on launch.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This will be nice, I'll be able to play horizon 2, god war 2 etc for 10-20$ instead of 70

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
That would be amazing, but it's Jaffe so I'm gonna wait for more confirmation.

LFMartins86

Nov 7, 2017
Why are we giving any kind of attention to that piece of shit? Who the fuck thinks Jaffe is reliable in 2021?

Jun 17, 2018
With the way Sony are approaching smart delivery, I'm not sure I have much faith in whatever their plan is. Interested to see it though.

Schiavone!

Alt-Account
Banned
Feb 19, 2021
they're already taking way too long. waaaaay too long. every lunch eaten is a lunch they probably won't get back

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Sony allude to this last year? Source

I could see them do basically the PS + Collection, but expand it to 50-100 games, many first party, BUT the big caveat is new first party releases don't come on there until 6-12 months later.

and when their games are selling 5-10M at full price it wouldn't make sense to put them in a sub anyway

imo if they made the PS+ Collection just 50+ games, with the majority of PS4 major first party releases, and positioned it as a game pass competitor that only requires PS+, that would be a great move since so many ppl already have plus