• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Series S will be more powerful than the One X.
It's not that simple, though. It has new technology that enables more rendering features, but has less raw pixel-pushing power. So for cross-gen games that don't utilize engines that support new rendering tech, for example, it'll scale very strangely, one would imagine. If Halo Infinite looks functionally the same between One and Series consoles but at varying resolutions and framerates, it's not out of the realm of possibility that, at launch, it'll look significantly better on One X than on Series S.

wachie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think people kind of expect that the new 299$ console won't run games much better than the not-so-old 499$ console.
Xbox One X already selling at ~300 range, not sure which price-point Lockhart will launch but it's going to be in similar ball park. People wont look at the two on shelf with similar prices and think "oh, but that one launch price is $499!"

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
Yeah, shocking to see like... 4?? of these leaked within two days. Kinda bizarre. And is it true they're all in Chicago? Even more random lol

AGN

Alt Account
Banned
May 13, 2020
200.gif

Every. Single. Thread.

WesleyShark

Oct 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Just for comparison, 4TF RDNA2 is like 7-8TF CGN, so it will be a bit more powerful than One X and with better architecture. (edit: also 1080p is enough for some, but get ready for people bitching about it being the same that bitch about 4K)
We'll see it in action soon enough, but yeah - the Series S is going to be a much better console than the One X, at 1080p. But people who want 4k and all the bells and whistles could get the XSX, so it's not an issue.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
But can you imagine how strange a spot it puts MS in? It's not a question that the Series S can't run games much better and games that look better, it's a situation where the Series S CAN do more than the One X, but it won't be apparent at launch because their premiere title is cross-gen and might end up looking worse on the console designed to run at lower resolutions. It's going to cause confusion and really strange messaging, imo. 120 fps might not do much to help here.
It'll have more effects and shorter load times. Even if it's not 4k, it's consistent with the messaging. X1X was the previous "4k" console. You'll need the newer "4k" console to clearly outpace it.

XSS is basically "better than X1X, but limited to 1080p". Outside of some circles, people aren't so hung up about resolution. They understand it's mostly a matter of budget. Halo will play better on XSS than on X1X, even if X1X displays it a 4k.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Xbox One X already selling at ~300 range, not sure which price-point Lockhart will launch but it's going to be in similar ball park. People wont look at the two on shelf with similar prices and think "oh, but that one launch price is $499!"
And they'll get similar relative overall value. Unless they're obsessed with 4k, the XSS will do the job just fine. Plus X1X is officially discontinued unless I'm mistaken.

Edit: We see that all the time on PC. Every time a new GPU series comes out, there's this weird place for a few weeks where the previous high-end is at the price of the new mid-end and that's not such a big of a deal as they're overall about the same performance even if the previous high-end might be slightly more powerful overall.

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
We should all agree to abbreviate Series as Se. SeS and SeX. I'd rather have one console called Sex than one called SS, tbh.

I didn't believe it'd be a problem for the Wii U either, but then Iegitimately saw people returning Wii U games at Best Buy because it didn't work on their Wii on three separate occasions at random.

Edit: Hit the reply button without actually replying, lol.

I guess what you say it is true but I still think marketing is and will be key to avoid confusion among customers. Wii U was all about the tablet controller and as others have said, the actual console itself didn't look that different from the Wii.

I do wish we had hard numbers on how many times people bought the Wii U thinking it was an add-on for the wii.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
In terms of (GPU) raw power

Xbox One
Xbox One S
Xbox Series S
Xbox One X
Xbox Series X

TF aren't everything. Just like GHz isn't everything. Otherwise people would say the 360 is faster than the One, as the 360 has 3.2Ghz vs the One's 1.75GHz. There's more to it than just raw TF.

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
By quite a bit I'd imagine.

Yeah, the rumored Series S CPU would chew half a dozen Xbox One X CPU for breakfast, and have an SSD to back it up.

The main question will be : how efficient is the Custom RDNA2 based GPU. I think a 4TF target would allow for 1080p of Next Gen « 4kish » games (some being native, some being reconstructed) and potentially a level of Perf for BC that would compare to an Xbox One X (with probably still improvements due to CPU, RAM speed and SSD)

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Controllers were rumoured to release way earlier. :)
Maybe they are going to shadow drop the controller after the reveal, so is on storage(that has been looted).
Console wont be in stores until prob the week or two of launch. more than likely the controller was def going on sale Soon
Ah, that would make sense. Most likely after the next Xbox showcase

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020

The X1X has been discontinued. It's unlikely they'll both be on many shelves together.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
The refreshes were to push 4K as 4K displays suddenly became the norm, whereas in 2013 they were not

Unless we see a rapid rollout of 8k TV's there isn't a real need for a refresh this time

It may still happen anyway, if the Pro and the One X were big money makers, then there isn't a reason not to carry on with that, but it's a harder sell this time around if the output resolution is the same as the base model. If we already have a lot of games running at 60fps or even 120fps then what benefit is there to pushing that to over 120fps?

If my base system does 60fps at 4k then there isn't much a mid gen refresh can offer me that's a drastic improvement.

Honestly, I would not be shocked by this.

LeBigMac

Oct 26, 2017
Just for comparison, 4TF RDNA2 is like 7-8TF CGN, so it will be a bit more powerful than One X and with better architecture. (edit: also 1080p is enough for some, but get ready for people bitching about it being the same that bitch about 4K)

No. It's should perform on par with a 6TF GCN part, not 7-8

benhan

Oct 30, 2017
4TF RDNA2 > 6TF GCN

Not all teraflops are the same.

And then factor in the massive architecture differences aside from the GPU - CPU, memory bandwidth, SSD, VA etc. Xbox Series S is a beast compared to Xbox One X.
With Xbox One X price now is still $399, I wonder if Series S will be sold at $399 as well at launch, being a more powerful console with 1TB SSD.

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Series S plays next-gen games at 1080/1440p and the One X plays last-gen games at 4K/near 4K

It isn't any more complicated than that gamers

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe on a subscription/rental model like they've done a few times in the past. Basically, pay $40 a month, and get the machine+gamepass. Possible it won't even be something you can purchase outright.
I theorised this a few days back in the "can Xbox compete" thread. You probably have to get it from Microsoft directly. It'd be nice if you can opt for one if you're a GPU subscriber.
www.resetera.com

Realistically, how is Microsoft expected to compete with Sony next generation? Can they?

My dumb take: •make Lockhart free with new and existing GPU subscriptions. You don't pay up? it's a paperweight - you either resub or send it to an authorised distributor for it to be refurbed. Existing GPU subscribers can have one delivered to your door. •all digital purchases tied to your...

iareec

Banned
Jul 19, 2020
No. It's should perform on par with a 6TF GCN part, not 7-8
I'm sure Xbox Series S will do well. Not sure why some people are crying over existence of this console when there is also Xbox Series X.
One will be ideal for casual and other for those that want power.
Look at Nintendo Switch, not even powerful but people love their games. Xbox Series S will be enough to play 3rd party popular titles and new games on 1080p.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Mid gen refreshes happened this gen because Sony and MS did not want to go years without addressing the demo that was early adopters for 4k. For MS it served as a brand refresh as well.

Unless 8k becomes a substantial market in the next 5 years, or the AMD RT implementation completely fails next to rtx/dlss, I would not expect either company to rush to put out new hardware.

Two reasons for the delay might be

1) they are very anxious about how to position it in terms of price. The relative price of Series X and PS5 (both versions) determine how much value consumers will put in a non-4k SKU that runs the same games.

2) based on MS' software showings this summer, they don't have much to show running on the actual hardware yet. Difficult to sell the thing as "basically a One X at 1080p" if you don't have any *playable* One X games running in your own conferences.

Certainly, I agree they won't be in a rush (especially since they'll get a lot of mileage out of whatever slim consoles they'll absolutely put out) but I still see a half step console as inevitable.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
So are we certain this thing won't have a disc drive? Seems weird to go from One S with a 4K bluray drive to a Series S without. I remember 4K bluray + 1080p(ish) gaming being a major selling point of the One S.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
So are we certain this thing won't have a disc drive? Seems weird to go from One S with a 4K bluray drive to a Series S without. I remember 4K bluray + 1080p(ish) gaming being a major selling point of the One S.
Not certain. And imo if they want mass adoption, they need an sku with a disk drive.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
1) TF are absolutely stupid measure in general. It gets even more silly when people point out the "power ranking" here.
2) There is no reason to be so defensive about MS' naming scheme. It's awful and confusing. Couple in #1 and it gets even more confusing.
3) Very much looking forward to seeing the Xbox Series S details!

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
The X1X has been discontinued. It's unlikely they'll both be on many shelves together.

People are just concern trolling at this point. They already discontinued the Xbox One and Xbox One X, and we'll see how long for the world the Xbox One S is. In any case, it's literally (with estimated price points)

Xbox One S ($150-200)
Xbox Series S ($250-300)
Xbox Series X ($450-500)

I would be very surprised if people cannot deal with that from a consumer/marketing perspective.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
It's not that simple, though. It has new technology that enables more rendering features, but has less raw pixel-pushing power. So for cross-gen games that don't utilize engines that support new rendering tech, for example, it'll scale very strangely, one would imagine. If Halo Infinite looks functionally the same between One and Series consoles but at varying resolutions and framerates, it's not out of the realm of possibility that, at launch, it'll look significantly better on One X than on Series S.

This simply isn't true. You can't compare teraflops between architectures. Digital Foundry compared 4.3 TF of RDNA 1 to 6 TF of GCN and found that they're pretty similar power-wise, and RDNA 2 will be even better.