• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
That's the expectation as of now.

Same games.

Same settings (mostly).

XSS = 1080p. XSX = 4k. (native res)

Yep, I guess that makes sense. But considering Halo Infinite doesn't appear to utilize next-gen features at launch or look particularly next-gen outside of its dynamic 4K res on Series X, we might end up in a situation where the presets are the same on both gens outside of resolution, and that would mean it looks better on One X than Series S until the raytracing patch is in.

AGN

Alt Account
Banned
May 13, 2020
I wonder... if Halo Infinite will end up looking better on the One X than the Series S. Technically, the game doesn't look like it's doing anything that really takes advantage of next-gen features at launch, except pushing more pixels on the Series X.

So technically speaking, might we end up in a situation where the One X version runs at a higher resolution than on their Series S?

The raytracing patch adds a next-gen feature that won't be on last-gen, but yeah. At launch it'll be interesting.

Why would Halo look worse on the more powerful console?

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
Apparently the One X didn't have any profit when it was sold at $500:
www.pcmag.com

Microsoft Not Making Any Money on $500 Xbox One X

Phil Spencer confirms that the $500 price tag of the Xbox One X includes no profit margin. What he wouldn't confirm is if the console will be sold at a loss.

I think the most tenuous assumption I made is actually on the memory bandwidth. The One X had 12GB of GDDR5 while the One S had 8GB of GDDR3. The XSX and XSS are much more similar with both rumored to use GDDR6 and the capacities being 16GB vs 10GB respectively.

The people who get midrange phones, laptops, and TVs. I think most consumers have gotten used to the idea that the most expensive model of anything is always targeted at the enthusiasts while normal people can't tell the difference. Midrange devices are always the volume-sellers in most markets.

The lack of profit really surprises me considering the price these were available at not too long after launch, in UK they were cheaper than the Pro on many many occasions. Guess I was wrong on that one.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really want to have the controller in my hands to see how good (or terrible) is the dpad for fighters.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Yep, I guess that makes sense. But considering Halo Infinite doesn't appear to utilize next-gen features at launch or look particularly next-gen outside of its dynamic 4K res on Series X, we might end up in a situation where the presets are the same on both gens outside of resolution, and that would mean it looks better on One X than Series S until the raytracing patch is in.
It's likely most games will look better on XSX, even on a 1080p set. The difference won't be staggering though. You'll need a 4k display to take full advantage of that 4k native res.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
The S is definitely the box that I've got the most interest in. I have a PC to play my big games on, but I am totally in the market for a cheap console can put in the living room to play Game Pass games and FIFA with mates. Glad to see it apparently confirmed, and I hope we hear something about it soon enough. Price will definitely be key.

Nov 1, 2017
Accurate to a point but in my experience it'd be more like:

"I'd like one of the new Xbox's please."

"Certainly, one Xbox Series X coming up."

"Erm, isn't there a cheaper version?"

"No, no there isn't, just this one. Also you'll need to buy 3 games with insurance, a Monster cable, controller stand, thumbgrips, play and charge kit, 5 year warranty, Fortnite bobblehead & Legend of Zelda t-shirt."

".........."

You just gave me Vietnam style flashbacks to working at Game. I still can't get over how incredibly shitty it was during the PS2 and Wii era where they refused to sell the console on its own. You would be forced to buy rubbish games and a load of old tat just to get the system. I used to die a little on the inside every time i was forced to sell that.

There was also a guy who worked at Game who took out a massive bank loan and literally bought every single Wii console that came in (and he was allowed to buy it on its own). He would then flog them on eBay for like double the price. All the while i'm having to tell people that the Wii is still out of stock because of this scalper who was raking in the cash. What a massive cunt.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
2 SKUs which plays the games differently. That's the difference here ....
It'll play the same games, on the same network, with similar performance. One will be display 1080p images. One will display 4k images. Many players will save 200 bucks (or whatever the price difference is) as 1080p is "good enough" for most people.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
It's likely most games will look better on XSX, even on a 1080p set. The difference won't be staggering though. You'll need a 4k display to take full advantage of that 4k native res.

Yep, but what I'm saying is- in the case of Halo Infinite which is a last-gen game ported to next-gen that won't launch with next-gen rendering features as far as we know, the One X version might end up looking better than the Series S version, because the big difference between the last-gen and next-gen version is likely resolution. It's a weird situation to be in at launch if consumers see that it looks better on the high-end last gen console than it does on the low-end next-gen console. I just think it might cause confusion, by virtue of Halo Infinite being cross-gen and lacking next-gen rendering features at launch.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been following this at all, but I guess the S model will just be weaker while still playing the same games as the Series X? Idk, I thin k making a discless and disc version might be smarter. Like keep the specs the same, but give the cheaper version no disc drive and less storage, maybe make it out of cheaper materials too.

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, that makes sense but why put out the next-gen controller three months before the console hits?
Why not? It's not really a next gen controller. Gives MS a chance to place their new controller out their earlier where people can pick it up and use it as their main controller for PC/Xcloud, etc.

But I'd at least like to see the XSS and whether or not it includes a controller before they release this controller.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't been following this at all, but I guess the S model will just be weaker while still playing the same games as the Series X? Idk, I thin k making a discless and disc version might be smarter. Like keep the specs the same, but give the cheaper version no disc drive and less storage, maybe make it out of cheaper materials too.

And what be 49 bucks cheaper?

Nov 7, 2019
Maybe someone else said this, and I'm probably completely wrong but isn't it possible the Xbox Series S is just a rebranded Xbox One S?

Combine the fact they are carrying that system forward and allowing Series X stuff to be compatible with it as well as being really quiet about this "S" maybe its just a rebrand.

Would make sense so that the whole ecosystem can just be "Xbox" going forward.

WesleyShark

Oct 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Same CPU in both. It's going to be a 1080 machine that delivers similar results as the XSX, per what we know from leaked info.

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
You can also think of the Series S as a replacement for the One X. MS was selling the One X for $299 before they discontinued it, and the Series S should be about as powerful GPU-wise. Having the same CPU and SSD as the Series X will make it easier for developers to optimize their games for both models.
at 299 they were bleeding money on that thing though. They didn't want to sell it that cheap but the boxes weren't moving. They were losing money at full price on those.

I'm really interested in how they price this. I've said this before but if they really price this at 299 and its a capable machine for the entire generation, they've sold me on their ecosystem at a steal. It'll be a nice secondary machine to the PS5 and might even get me to sell my Switch as I just won't have time to split between all 3.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Why would Halo look worse on the more powerful console?

Because it's not utilizing the new rendering possibilities of the next-gen consoles. And if the Series S is meant to render at a lower resolution, but with next-gen rendering features that Halo Infinite does not support at launch (like raytracing), we'll end up in a situation like this:

One S: Same rendering features, lower LOD, worse load times, 720-900p
One X: Same rendering features, lower LOD (?), worse load times, Dynamic 4K
Series S: Same rendering features, higher LOD (?), better load times, 1080-1440p
Series X, Same rendering features, higher LOD (?), better load times, Dynamic 4K

Post-launch, that would change given Series S and X would get raytracing, but I can see the launch comparisons being pretty damn confusing to people.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Yep, but what I'm saying is- in the case of Halo Infinite which is a last-gen game ported to next-gen that won't launch with next-gen rendering features as far as we know, the One X version might end up looking better than the Series S version, because the big difference between the last-gen and next-gen version is likely resolution. It's a weird situation to be in at launch if consumers see that it looks better on the high-end last gen console than it does on the low-end next-gen console. I just think it might cause confusion, by virtue of Halo Infinite being cross-gen and lacking next-gen rendering features at launch.
Ok I understand your point now. I dunno. We'll have to see what happens with regard to Halo. I wouldn't be surprised if XSS has more effects than X1X, even if X1X pushes more pixels. Also I'm pretty sure X1X will be locked at 60 fps for MP, whereas XSS will probably run the MP at 1080p120. But we'll see.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Series X = rumored 4TF
One X = 6TF
In terms of raw power

Xbox One
Xbox One S
Xbox Series S
Xbox One X
Xbox Series X

200.gif

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Because it's not utilizing the new rendering possibilities of the next-gen consoles. And if the Series S is meant to render at a lower resolution, but with next-gen rendering features that Halo Infinite does not support at launch (like raytracing), we'll end up in a situation like this:

One S: Same rendering features, lower LOD, worse load times, 720-900p
One X: Same rendering features, lower LOD (?), worse load times, Dynamic 4K
Series S: Same rendering features, higher LOD (?), better load times, 1080-1440p
Series X, Same rendering features, higher LOD (?), better load times, Dynamic 4K

Post-launch, that would change given Series S and X would get raytracing, but I can see the launch comparisons being pretty damn confusing to people.
I think people kind of expect that the new 299$ console won't run games much better than the not-so-old 499$ console.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
It should have been "Xbox Series X| S" then, but it's quite ugly.

EDIT: I'm late on this, sorry X'D

It may be "ugly", but it's correct. A pipe signifies that what comes after it is in the same position as what comes before it, similar to a slash. If there's a space after the pipe, the two titles would be (_ denotes a space)"Xbox Series_X" and "Xbox Series__S". You wouldn't write "Xbox Series X/ S", you write "Xbox Series X/S".

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
In terms of raw power

Xbox One
Xbox One S
Xbox Series S
Xbox One X
Xbox Series X

One could say that in terms of pixel pushing power, yes, but next-gen features of the Series S make it more "powerful" overall, just not for higher resolutions. But yeah, the issue for cross-gen games that DON'T support next-gen rendering tech makes this a little too complicated for average folks, methinks. Halo Infinite not launching with Raytracing and seemingly not launching with any next-gen rendering tech support is a strange thing.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I think people kind of expect that the new 299$ console won't run games much better than the not-so-old 499$ console.

But can you imagine how strange a spot it puts MS in? It's not a question that the Series S can't run games much better and games that look better, it's a situation where the Series S CAN do more than the One X, but it won't be apparent at launch because their premiere title is cross-gen and might end up looking worse on the console designed to run at lower resolutions. It's going to cause confusion and really strange messaging, imo. 120 fps might not do much to help here.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Of course the Series S is going to be "more powerful" than the One X, but I doubt Halo Infinite is gonna have significant performance differences on it.