• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm on iOS but I'm curious about Android brand phones too.

Seems like lots of people are totally unaware of stuff like how iPhone keyboard has swipe typing or that you can move the cursor by just holding your finger on the space bar and dragging the cursor above where you'd like it:

anigif_sub-buzz-1483-1542594482-1.gif

You can also easily switch to Desktop versions of sites in Safari with the Reader menu by hitting the little Aa symbol in the address bar.

Tapping and holding on most buttons gives easy access options. You can see your list of Wi-Fi networks or Bluetooth connections from the swipe Control Center just by pressing and holding on those buttons.

Some people I know have thousands of apps and swipe through pages to remember their places. I never do this, as simply swiping down from the center of the home screen makes it ready for you to search the phone. If I want google maps, I pull down and type G and it appears right in front of me immediately.

To reverse a mistake, tap with 3 fingers twice to undo. Don't shake your phone anymore.

Most websites can be screenshotted now as a full page, if you just look for that option - take the screenshot and instead of swiping the little preview aside to save it, tap to open it and hit Full Page.

The notes app is a robust scanner now. Delete your proprietary scanner apps. Just hit the camera in a note, hit Scan Documents, it will auto capture when it sees the paper in frame, make any edits you want, and save. It also has an excellent optical text recognition, so you can search the notes app for most basic text you have scanned in the app.

Last edited:

moblin

Oct 25, 2017
Москва
Google Translate on my "off-brand" phone has a cute camera feature that's useful at the grocery store or at the neat little immigrant markets around town

optics.gif

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like most Apple users are still not aware that swipe to text is available on their phones for a bit now. Android users have had it for years but it really makes life easier texting.

Booya_base

Oct 31, 2017
Jersey
holy crap this is a lot of excellent stuff I didn't know, thanks! The spacebar thing being the one that'll be most useful.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
My biggest reason for wanting to go back to a Motorola phone is that their phones have motion commands, like making a twisting motion with your hand to go to the camera or shaking it to turn the flashlight on.
I love it and I wish all Android phones had that built on.

My favorite Samsung feature is taking a screen shot by swiping the side of your palm across the screen.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
It's one of my 2020 goal to get familiar with ios script/automation capabilities.

Shizza

Oct 27, 2017
Split-screening. Not sure what other phones can do it (I have a Sumsung), but it's super convenient at times to have two apps open at once on a screen, rather than flipping back and forth.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Blew my mind about the spacebar thing when I learned it last year. Hated having to deal with typos before that on my iPhone.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My last phone (HTC 10) let me pull up the camera by double tapping the camera button. Super convenient. I wish Apple offered a quick camera option (swiping up from the bottom or to the side isn't nearly as fast, especially when trying to capture a 2-year-old).

I feel like most Apple users are still not aware that swipe to text is available on their phones for a bit now. Android users have had it for years but it really makes life easier texting.

I have an iPhone 6 which can't get the newest iOS so I'm stuck with the old keyboard. I use GBoard instead (because I need to swipe to type) but that's not ideal because I have to wait for it to load every time I use it. Apple hates when I use apps other than the ones they make but they make exclusively bad apps. I don't think I use any of them.

Deleted member 12379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the contextual tilting icon you get in the bottom corner when you physically tilt your phone between portrait and landscape. one day it just showed up and I can't live without it.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
android's notification log is great. sometimes you miss a notification, it gets dismissed, or by the time you click on it the person already deleted it and it's gone...but notification log saves everything

android-notification-log-list-100648309-large.idge.jpg

long press home screen, click widgets, drop the Settings shortcut widget on the home screen, and when you do this it should bring up a menu where you can select Notification Log (which is weird because you can't even find Notification Log in Settings but w/e)

Last edited:

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Android:
  • If you want to send a screenshot without actually adding one to your image gallery, you can hold the home button and select the 'Share screenshot' button in the Google Assistant pop-up. Doesn't work on a home screen, but will work while in an application or menu.
  • Swiping down from the top of the screen opens the notification shade, and then you have to swipe a second time to get into settings. You can just swipe from the top with two fingers to get straight into settings.

My biggest reason for wanting to go back to a Motorola phone is that their phones have motion commands, like making a twisting motion with your hand to go to the camera or shaking it to turn the flashlight on.
I really loved that on my Moto X. Not sure what other Android phones have it, but the Pixel opens the camera when you double-tap the power button.

Pickman

Nov 20, 2017
Huntington, WV
I don't know if it's android-wide, but on my Samsung I can set up custom vibration patterns for my texts so I know who's texting me in my pocket. My close friends and family are the 5-note dun-dun Dun dun-dun from Terminator.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure how obscure it is or if it's even on all Android phones, but on my Pixel I can double tap the lock button to immediately bring up the camera.

Deleted member 12379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What is this? And why is it helpful?
in any app I can physically tilt the phone and a small icon will appear in the bottom right corner. it's basically a switch between landscape/portrait without having to slide down the menu. I mostly use it when I'm lying in bed. Wish there was a lock softkey too.

Oct 25, 2017
The notes app is a robust scanner now. Delete your proprietary scanner apps. Just hit the camera in a note, hit Scan Documents, it will auto capture when it sees the paper in frame, make any edits you want, and save. It also has an excellent optical text recognition, so you can search the notes app for most basic text you have scanned in the app.

When I originally discovered this it literally changed my life

Jul 18, 2018
People still don't know about the mic icon on the keyboard to translate speech to text. The number of idiots still trying to drive and text when they can all do it via bluetooth or just push button if they need to use phone while driving.

Nov 14, 2017
android's notification log is great. sometimes you miss a notification, it gets dismissed, or by the time you click on it the person already deleted it and it's gone...but notification log saves everything

long press home screen, click widgets, drop the Settings shortcut widget on the home screen, and when you do this it should bring up a menu where you can select Notification Log (which is weird because you can't even find Notification Log in Settings but w/e)
Wait... this exists? WHERE?

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
On my OnePlus I can draw a V while the screen is turned off and turn on/off the flashlight. I can draw a O and go straight to the camera. You can actually create a shortcut to go to any app by drawing the letters M, W and S while the screen is off.

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
Wanted to log in my Psn on the iphone App. Needed to do a 2 step verification. When they texted me the verification code, The IOS memorizes the code, so i easily selected it as an option on the keyboard display. didn't need to write it out manually... Pretty neat.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
S10

One handed operation I guess. I've never actually seen anyone else use it yet. Turn it on in the settings and swipe down near the home button to shrink the screen by about 20 or 30%. I dont get much use out of it but its handy for ticking off the shopping list when in the store.

Also Bixby routines. I only use a couple but my phone swaps turns 4g and wifi off and on when at any places Ive asked it to and it swaps to vibrate and off by itself. Handy little features more than anything else.

The translate tool is the best but already mentioned. For some reason the S10 has two on it, maybe due to one I had from an old phone and an in built one but its kinda handy since you can cross reference if something feels off.

JohnPaulv2.0

Dec 3, 2017
The Google Lens feature on Android seems almost intentionally difficult to find. It doesn't just translate text from images, it has full blown image recognition. I was checking out the aviary at some manor estate last year and there wasn't a placque to tell us what kind of birds we were looking at. So I pull up Google Lens on my phone, point the camera at one of these glamorous fowls and tap the image where the bird appears. It thinks about it for a second then tells me that I'm looking at a Golden Pheasant.

Android phones have a fucking Pokédex and nobody seems to care.

Woetyler

Oct 27, 2017
I'm on iOS but I'm curious about Android brand phones too.

Seems like lots of people are totally unaware of stuff like how iPhone keyboard has swipe typing or that you can move the cursor by just holding your finger on the space bar and dragging the cursor above where you'd like it:

anigif_sub-buzz-1483-1542594482-1.gif

Imo apple ruined the fuck out of that feature.
I thought the magnifying glass way was 10x more accurate.

Oct 25, 2017
México
One-hand mode. You slide your finger from the center of the Home button to the left or right (depending which hand you are using) to make the screen smaller. That way you can handle your phone with a single hand.

V1RfjJ2.gif

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA

Whoa

Zapages

Oct 28, 2017
Shaking your iPhone is an undo while texting a long message and you delete something... I wish my Samsung had that....