• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tranqueris

Oct 26, 2017
sx4aV86.jpg
I saw Kevin Smith way after his heart attack and didn't know that was even him, I kept thinking, why is this man hosting this show wearing a crazy oversized suit?

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
He looks at the front page to see if it's about how awesome he is, that's it. There is no way he opens papers.

When he is out of office, I imagine there will be a flood of accounts from those who were eye witnesses to his shallow, lazy, petty, dismissive, ego driven habits around briefings and information gathering (and who did or said nothing about it at the time).

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
I'll take a small small win from knowing John Bolton's plans are fucked

Daily Beast had the story 3 days ago. Bolton caused all this.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/boltons-hawkish-syria-plan-backfired-pushing-trump-to-get-out

Bolton and Jeffrey repeatedly said U.S. forces are in Syria to counter Iran; the Defense Department never defined the mission that way. It was always about defeating ISIS," a senior administration official said. "They were adamant about countering Iran, but the president never signed off on that mission."

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Question for the insurance experts. I could conceivably save $500 by skipping my December COBRA payment since I'll be on my wife's considerably cheaper insurance plan starting January 1st. I won't wind up with any preexisting conditions issues by spending one month of 2018 uninsured, correct?

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Question for the insurance experts. I could conceivably save $500 by skipping my December COBRA payment since I'll be on my wife's considerably cheaper insurance plan starting January 1st. I won't wind up with any preexisting conditions issues by spending one month of 2018 uninsured, correct?
correct

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
You shouldn't, no. The law remains in force despite the recent ruling, and the pre-existing conditions protections never had any sort of window or expiration. No insurer can deny you.

You'll also avoid paying any portion of the penalty since it has a two-month grace period, and you'll obtain new insurance before that period expires.

Well, starting in January, the penalty won't be a problem for anyone, but you know what I mean.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
You shouldn't, no. The law remains in force despite the recent ruling, and the pre-existing conditions protections never had any sort of window or expiration. No insurer can deny you.

You'll also avoid paying any portion of the penalty since it has a two-month grace period, and you'll obtain new insurance before that period expires.

Well, starting in January, the penalty won't be a problem for anyone, but you know what I mean.

Thanks guys

Feb 14, 2018
When he is out of office, I imagine there will be a flood of accounts from those who were eye witnesses to his shallow, lazy, petty, dismissive, ego driven habits around briefings and information gathering (and who did or said nothing about it at the time).
Eventually we'll hear about all the female staff he's had fired because they weren't attractive enough.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. The postmortem on Trump's presidency from the inside is going to be something.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
so how bad, historically is going to be the stock market in the coming weeks?

Best Case: No real change.
Worst Case: Gonna look like the end of the Dot Com era.
Darkest Timeline: We're entering a 2 year skid that could result in the death of a large chunk of the American agricultural business, mass outsourcing, and job loss leading to a student loan debt crisis all contributing to a massive depression.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE!

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
so how bad, historically is going to be the stock market in the coming weeks?

The primary thing to consider is percentage rather than discrete points. A lot of people are harping on the massive drops, somewhat rightfully so, but you have to consider them in relation to the actual percentage.

For instance, the largest raw Dow drop of all time happened this year, on February 5th, and the 2nd largest happen on Feb 8th 2018. Those two days accounted for nearly 2150 points. But, that was coming off of a Dow average that was substantially higher than any in history and with huge fluctuations both positive and negative.

The 3rd and 4th highest drops of all-time came on Sep. 29th and Oct. 15th 2008. Those are more notable, because even though they were smaller in concrete numbers than the 2018 drops, they were a higher percentage of the total at the time.

It's percentages that matter, but what complicates this in relatively modern history is that people are shocked by large numbers. True, dropping 600 in a day is a drop in the bucket in 2018 compared to, say, 1988 or 1978, but it scares the market. Markets are, after all, a perception issue just as much as they are about concrete matters.

The thing is, drops can be assuaged with rises and the Dow, as someone noted above isn't the whole market, and is indeed a really poor indicator compared to the S&P. Except, perception fucking matters.

Autodidact noted, rightfully, that our economic fundamentals are actually strong. There isn't anything like the 2008 housing market that initially appears to be a huge and present concern. What will matter more, from my fairly layman's understanding, is when you get a run-on effect. The vast majority of people have little savings, and even then many if not most are in the negative on net wealth. Add to that what has been a decades-long looming student loan bubble. Housing still ain't great. And then we add tariffs to the mix.

It's like Jenga. The tower seems fine. But what happens if student loans start becoming a problem? One log moves. Then what happens if medical bankruptcies spike? Another log moves. Then what happens if soy bean farmers start defaulting en masse. As each log starts coming from the bottom to the top the Jenga tower gets more unstable.

The 2008 crisis was like moving logs from the bottom for years all coming to a head at once. 2018/2019 might be far slower than that, if it even happens yet.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
At the risk of stating the blindingly obvious at 2/3s a bottle of Jameson, this is, uh, not healthy:

UPXQPqy.png

The media vaguely very covers when it drops a lot in a day, regardless of whether it recovers, but it feels to me like they haven't ever pointed out how hilariously unstable it has been since Trump's effects on the economy actually kicked in. If he wants to take credit for it when it kept going up following Obama's trajectory, he gets to eat it when it turns into a seismologist's nightmare too.

Last edited:

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
But, Republicans have congress and the presidency? How the fuck can they end anything? God people are stupid if they are listening to this moron.

Unrelated note, Maggie tweeting Beto hate articles?

My support for Beto just went 10 feet higher.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
At the risk of stating the blindingly obvious at 2/3s a bottle of Jameson, this is, uh, not healthy:

UPXQPqy.png

The media vaguely very covers when it drops a lot in a day, regardless of whether it recovers, but it feels to me like they haven't ever pointed out how hilariously unstable it has been since Trump's effects on the economy actually kicked in. If he wants to take credit for it when it kept going up following Obama's trajectory, he gets to eat it when it turns into a seismologist's nightmare too.
I bet if they didn't pass the Tax cuts and did not implement tarrifs, we'd have been closing 30k by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.