• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
So, should you leave the non-HDR brightness slider alone and on their default values in every game and only adjust the HDR sliders?

yeah, the regular brightness appears to behave more like an exposure dial, which the paper white one appears to behave as too.

I only bought the game a few hours ago, so am trying to work it out as we speak

Xkramz

Oct 28, 2017
So is it worth getting my TV professionally calibrated? I could get it done for 50 bucks with best buy geek squad.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
So, should you leave the non-HDR brightness slider alone and on their default values in every game and only adjust the HDR sliders?

Yeah, definately

Don't touch the brightness setting, this really interferes with things.
The HDR brightness setting is broken below 1000 nit, the same as Origins (which I had missed).

The HDR brightness setting provides a a simple roll off to the maxmium value selected, this helps to provide a smoother graduation towards something like the sun, rather than having a clipped round orb in the sky.

Based upon what I can see the tonemapper doing, I think the paper white's in game "default" would actually be 80 nits, any adjustment you make is actually adjusting this point in the image. In order to achieve this , the tonemapper will actually brighten the darker areas as you increase this (hence the feeling of overall brightness increase) and further increase the peak brightness, liklely to ensure that contrast and dynamic range continues to exist between the 2 different white points.

So with this in mind, the lowest you want it on is 80, which is certainly what I would recommend if you are going for a "reference" setup.
If you prefer a brighter image (who doesn't) I would go as high as 200.

But as always, the brighter you make the image, the more HDR overhead you are burning up, particually for OLED uers, increasing the paper white will make shadows and near black a little lighter,

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The 1080 ti I bought still hasn't been shipped, and the seller isn't responding to my messages :(

I'm surprised at how well my 970 handles CoD BO4 in 1440p, but I think I'll need the 1080 ti if I want to use the OLED.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, definately

Don't touch the brightness setting, this really interferes with things.
The HDR brightness setting is broken below 1000 nit, the same as Origins (which I had missed).

The HDR brightness setting provides a a simple roll off to the maxmium value selected, this helps to provide a smoother graduation towards something like the sun, rather than having a clipped round orb in the sky.

Based upon what I can see the tonemapper doing, I think the paper white's in game "default" would actually be 80 nits, any adjustment you make is actually adjusting this point in the image. In order to achieve this , the tonemapper will actually brighten the darker areas as you increase this (hence the feeling of overall brightness increase) and further increase the peak brightness, liklely to ensure that contrast and dynamic range continues to exist between the 2 different white points.

So with this in mind, the lowest you want it on is 80, which is certainly what I would recommend if you are going for a "reference" setup.
If you prefer a brighter image (who doesn't) I would go as high as 200.

But as always, the brighter you make the image, the more HDR overhead you are burning up, particually for OLED uers, increasing the paper white will make shadows and near black a little lighter,
So, for an OLED you'd recommend what, 1000 nits and 80 paper white?

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
So, for an OLED you'd recommend what, 1000 nits and 80 paper white?

I think it depends on the model, as they tone map differently.
I think the B6/C6 should be at 4000nits, as this is what they tone map from.

I think the newer models that got the "dim" game mode patch might be able to be set lower, I'm sure somebody else will know what the value is now.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I think it depends on the model, as they tone map differently.
I think the B6/C6 should be at 4000nits, as this is what they tone map from.

I think the newer models that got the "dim" game mode patch might be able to be set lower, I'm sure somebody else will know what the value is now.
Yeah, I got B7. But the dim HDR is from the lack of metadata. So console HDR will be dim but PC HDR will be bright. So the values would be different depending on the platform?

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey EvilBoris are you making your HDR analysis thread for any or all of the 3 big games of the year (Black Ops 4, RDR2, Battlefield V)?

I know that's probably a lot of work, but I really like the work you put into those and having a thread to discuss the HDR of specific games.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Hey EvilBoris are you making your HDR analysis thread for any or all of the 3 big games of the year (Black Ops 4, RDR2, Battlefield V)?

I know that's probably a lot of work, but I really like the work you put into those and having a thread to discuss the HDR of specific games.

I'm going to do another roundup thread with details about a few games , just getting the screentshots together for that at the moment.
I've got Black Ops 4

Tapeworm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, definately

Don't touch the brightness setting, this really interferes with things...

Dang. That is all fairly confusing and somewhat misleading on Ubisoft's part (considering every pattern has instructions associated with it). And if it was never "fixed" in Origins, I don't expect any change in Odyssey.

So basically:

HDR Brightness (the adjust until barely visible pattern): Leave at default even if pattern is super visible

Max Luminance: Keep at 1000 or higher, anything sub 1000 is broken

Paper White: Minimum of 80, Max of 200 (both of those are your recommended limits)

On an X900F, I'm currently using Brightness at 2 notches down from default, 1600 Luminance, 160 Paper White. I'll bump brightness back up to default and see see how it goes. At this point I'm just thinking "go with whatever seems to look the best".

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Dang. That is all fairly confusing and somewhat misleading on Ubisoft's part (considering every pattern has instructions associated with it). And if it was never "fixed" in Origins, I don't expect any change in Odyssey.

So basically:

HDR Brightness (the adjust until barely visible pattern): Leave at default even if pattern is super visible

Max Luminance: Keep at 1000 or higher, anything sub 1000 is broken

Paper White: Minimum of 80, Max of 200 (both of those are your recommended limits)

On an X900F, I'm currently using Brightness at 2 notches down from default, 1600 Luminance, 160 Paper White. I'll bump brightness back up to default and see see how it goes. At this point I'm just thinking "go with whatever seems to look the best".

It sounds like you've got it fairly sorted out anyway, if you drop back the brightness , you need to adjust the HDR luminance higher than normal, as you have. I've not looked at how the brightness value affects the black point and whether it is reccomended to do so, I did wonder if knocking it back a little as you have might darken it up a little.

The brightness control behaved a little differently last time, so I think they have made some changes.

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
I want to get into 4K streaming with an external device in my new home. Regarding Austria, I think Apple TV 4k and Google Chromcast Ultra are my only? choices. What would you guys recommend and why?

I read some time back that some of you are raving about the Apple TV with movies getting discounted etc.

Edit: Come November, the Amazon Fire Stick 4k could also work.

Edit 2: Price is not really an issue, I want the one platform with the most content and content updates, like new movies added etc. Dolby Atmos is a must.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want to get into 4K streaming with an external device in my new home. Regarding Austria, I think Apple TV 4k and Google Chromcast Ultra are my only? choices. What would you guys recommend and why?

I read some time back that some of you are raving about the Apple TV with movies getting discounted etc.

Edit: Come November, the Amazon Fire Stick 4k could also work.

Edit 2: Price is not really an issue, I want the one platform with the most content and content updates, like new movies added etc. Dolby Atmos is a must.

If price is not an issue, then the Apple TV 4k is easily the best choice.

Its extremely refined/quick, has all the apps you could want, and iTunes has great deals all the time (at least in NA, not sure how it works in AU).

I believe they do support Dolby Atmos, but maybe somebody else in here that uses that could tell you how well it works.

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
If price is not an issue, then the Apple TV 4k is easily the best choice.

Its extremely refined/quick, has all the apps you could want, and iTunes has great deals all the time (at least in NA, not sure how it works in AU).

I believe they do support Dolby Atmos, but maybe somebody else in here that uses that could tell you how well it works.
Cool, thanks! I am talking about Europe btw, not Australia ^^

Edit: No problem :D

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018
Anybody with Odissey and OLED notice the nasty noise or dithering in black screens? pretty noticiable in load time screen.

also in HDR shadow are much more lighter, making caves pretty bright and ugly.

in SDR you have to use the torch to see in the dark(as the game tell you) with HDR you dont need lol

FrankNitty

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Anybody with Odissey and OLED notice the nasty noise or dithering in black screens? pretty noticiable in load time screen.

in SDR you have to use the torch to see in the dark(as the game tell you) with HDR you dont need lol

No I don't have that issue. Have played it on both a E6 and C8 and neither exhibit that problem

AMDfanTO

Nov 8, 2017

Origins has the same problem. You must lower the brightness of your OLED to 47 to fix the raised near-black levels. Shadow of Tomb Raider and Assassin's Creed origins and odyssey all have this issue. The HDR videos I've seen of Farcry 5 on PS4 also have the same problem - but i dont own that game.

My guess is these developers are using HDR LCDs with really aggressive local dimming - like a Samsung - which is so far out of reference, the final output is washed out

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017

Infamous Last Light had this problem, it's fixed by lowering brightness to 49, or put dynamic contrast to low, and leave brightness at 50.

Good thing about the DC approach, is that one hand you'll lose that fizz and a bit of shadow detail, but on the other you'll push out gamma so you'll gain a bit back, works well, dunno how bad Odyssey is though, but that method has proved good on anything I've seen it on so far.

Since owning a Vertex I put brightness to 49, as the higher luminance resolves more shadow detail anyway.

AMDfanTO

Nov 8, 2017
Infamous Last Light had this problem, it's fixed by lowering brightness to 49, or put dynamic contrast to low, and leave brightness at 50.

Good thing about the DC approach, is that one hand you'll lose that fizz and a bit of shadow detail, but on the other you'll push out gamma so you'll gain a bit back, works well, dunno how bad Odyssey is though, but that method has proved good on anything I've seen it on so far.

Since owning a Vertex I put brightness to 49, as the higher luminance resolves more shadow detail anyway.
Thats probably a good way to go if you're selecting a peak luminance from 501-600. If you go with 1000nits, shadow detail is slightly crushed by the 2017, but punched up in the midtones, for a really nice pop to the low end portion of the image.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
Thats probably a good way to go if you're selecting a peak luminance from 501-600. If you go with 1000nits, shadow detail is slightly crushed by the 2017, but punched up in the midtones, for a really nice pop to the low end portion of the image.

It was defintely the better way of achieving the same result of just lowering brightness.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
Cheers dude.

It hasn't gone unnoticed by others too, I am working on some videos for somebody now, hopefully they will cut the mustard.

If it isn't for DF it should be, it's an area where I find them a bit lacking, especially as they are very technical, in most areas of gaming.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Is the LG 55 UJ750V worth a buy? I just saw it cheap..

I love lg tv's and have 2 43inch. 1080p Sets.. but would like a bigger 4k set ..

So is the uj750v worth a buy if I can get it cheap?

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Here's a quick question, I'm interested in buying a 75 inch Sony that is currently about 3000 bucks, would it be better to wait until black friday timeframe or do these sorts of TVs not really go on sale ?

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Just installed a 49X900F at a client's home. What a gem of a set - that level of picture quality in a 49" size is really nice. She went from a ~15-year-old Sony XBR to this, and she immediately called all of her friends: "I know we were going to go out to dinner, but just come over here. I'll make a roast. There's no way I can leave the house with this new set to look at."

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Just installed a 49X900F at a client's home. What a gem of a set - that level of picture quality in a 49" size is really nice. She went from a ~15-year-old Sony XBR to this, and she immediately called all of her friends: "I know we were going to go out to dinner, but just come over here. I'll make a roast. There's no way I can leave the house with this new set to look at."
Nice lol

I had one of those great 2006 or so 1080p XBRs all the way until my two 4K sets too. The jump is amazing, but that was a great set that served me so well for the 1080p era.

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
That's awesome! I love seeing people react like that.

FrankNitty

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Oh no.......8 owners, what do you think? Sounds like Sony's issue.
2Bee

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnar...ction-by-latest-firmware-update/#4e7ac24263fb

LG certainly is aware of it:

"The new firmware includes an update of the existing algorithm which LG has been applying to compensate the image quality when a static image is displayed on the TV."

I personally never update the firmware until something isn't working or fixes something that I use. Or until I come across a compatibly problem.

Chances are if it's intentional it may not get fixed since they do not view it as a problem.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh no.......8 owners, what do you think? Sounds like Sony's issue.
2Bee

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnar...ction-by-latest-firmware-update/#4e7ac24263fb

LG certainly is aware of it:

"The new firmware includes an update of the existing algorithm which LG has been applying to compensate the image quality when a static image is displayed on the TV."

It should be said that some owners of LG C8 and above OLED TVs do not seem to be seeing these issues (I don't have access to a relevant model that I can check myself). It's not entirely clear, though, if this is because their sets have somehow responded to the update differently, or if they're just not as sensitive to seeing the issues. Or maybe there's something specific about their settings or room environment that makes the brightness adjustments less obvious.

I guess that's me lol.

Even yesterday I was using the TV all day for different content and didn't notice anything strange or different, and I know for a fact I am on 4.10.05.

idk if I wanna look at the video of it on that link, cause once you see a problem you can't unsee it lol.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

My sister had a similar reaction when I gave her my X900F.

I still go over there to watch movies on it almost on a weekly basis.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
I personally never update the firmware until something isn't working or fixes something that I use. Or until I come across a compatibly problem.

Chances are if it's intentional it may not get fixed since they do not view it as a problem.

This is probably the best advice to follow. I'll let everyone else test out new firmware and install after a month or so if nothing is reported. Otherwise, I just leave well enough alone.