• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
NFTs are here to stay, it needs regulating, and improving... NFTs are not inherently bad, it's how it's used that should be under scrutiny.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
evg_g12uyaaysjx9pkci.jpg

screenm2ke0.png

nervous-laughter-what-the-fuck.gif

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
So instead of right clicking and downloading jpegs I'll just now screen record audio NFTs and redistribute them online?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
NFTs are here to stay, it needs regulating, and improving... NFTs are not inherently bad, it's how it's used that should be under scrutiny.

They provide literally no value. It's a bunch of nerds and easily-duped idiots killing the environment in an attempt to convince people that things that don't have value actually have value. It's a gold rush without any actual gold.

greenbird

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
What I find wild about this is that isn't Troy on a popular games podcast with Alanah Pearce, Austin Wintory and Mike Bithell? Have NFTs never come up or something because it's wild that he wouldn't get some advise on this from those people at least.

They did an episode on it pretty recently, but it just so happens that Troy wasn't on that week.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

I sure see you in every NFT thread saying the same thing, but never why NFTs are good and what kind of unique benefit that can't be replicated any other way but using them they bring

Biske

Nov 11, 2017

Are they? Show me a single NFT that has been resold several times that people are enjoying and getting value out of, and not someone pumping it, and dumping on some dupe left holding the bag

Or show me an actual legitimate way it's been used.

Pogs were once here to stay.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
They do not do anything to prevent art theft. They do not have cross compatibility between exchanges, and based off all current roadmaps from the big players, there's no indication they ever will. They are wholly misrepresented to people making purchases of them since it is never made clear they are not actually buying the original asset, just a receipt to a URL to an instance of the hosted asset (with no guarantees the asset will remain hosted.)

NFTs do not provide any service or solutions better than existing technology today. They are a solution seeking a problem.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I'll hate; thank you for the easy choice.

Note that with all of these moneyed interests promoting NFTs, none of them actually have a counter-argument for the complaints people have. They just ignore them, hoping to sucker in the uninitiated.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
evg_g12uyaaysjx9pkci.jpg

The Voiceverse NFT website said:

The Lore

On Ethyear 0, the Sun, which has supported and nurtured life on Earth for millennia, imploded and scorched the entirety of Milky Way with its fiery touches. Luckily, we had built colonies in other galaxies before our homeland was burnt to crisp.

Eons passed, and homo survivalis, or "Terrans", as we had come to be known, had lost the ability to not only speak, but produce any form of nonverbal noise from our windpipe. Laughter was gone in our lives. We had to guess how frustrated or sad someone was from their facial expression only. This was all due to the fact that we had become overly reliant on vision, consuming only images, gifs, and texts.

Then on Ethyear 8,888 a group of 100 ethereal beings by the name of Alpha Centum, or "Centums", started appearing in various places.

They were omnipotent cosmic energies, spiritual beings that flowed from one galaxy to another beyond temporal or spatial limitations. They each possessed one authentic voice that demanded such respect and awe, as the world had long forgotten what "a real voice" was.

The Centums summoned 1,000 Cosmic Architects, or "Architects", to obey their beckonings: they were charged with creating new, and revitalizing old, planets, and to manage which Terrans were deserving of a voice of their own.

In return, Architects were awarded voices generated from mixing two pure Centum voices, while Terrans were given voices that were bred randomly from a multitude of voices. No one knew why Centums were here - but everyone knew that this was our only chance at recovering what made us, and our ancestors, truly human.

screenm2ke0.png

(The bit about the game not being canon isn't from the website. They just have that header that says "the lore" to mark where their fiction dump starts.)
Why does this read like the sales pitch for a cult? You could tell me this was taken from the Scientology website and I'd believe you.

Oct 25, 2017
They did an episode on it pretty recently, but it just so happens that Troy wasn't on that week.

she replied in the comments

"Hello, new commenters. I want to note that we did not pick the topic of this episode before recording (which should be pretty clear if you see how it comes up). Troy had no way of knowing we'd talk about NFTs when he skipped this week. Bless anyone who thought this show was that organized, lol."

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
it's literally selling you a star/planet scam all over again, but this time comes with the bonus fact of destroying the planet in the meantime.

If you want to support artists, buy something they made: print, coaster, yada yada.

If your fav artist promotes NFTs, dump them.

Last edited:

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
[ETA: In the time it took me to type this on my phone, the below was mentioned in the comments above! Beaten like a bought NFT.
ETA2: Tara Strong, too?! noooo]

Oh, wow. Okay. God no. Lawd no.

The next episode of Play Watch, Listen will be reaaaally interesting. I just realized I hadn't finished PWL's recent NFT discussion episode, and had forgotten Baker wasn't available for the episode. (Link for anyone who's interested.) I definitely remember that Mike Bithell loathes them, and from what I remember, Alanah Pearce wasn't a fan either, either. Austin Wintory might have been more for them, or at the least, in delving into the topic. Haven't finished the episode, though, and don't want to paraphrase poorly and share incorrect info.

Baker vs. Bithell re: NFTs. It'll be interesting.

Baker's a funny one -- talented actor, very inquisitive, simultaneously very self aware and yet other times very very not because you get firm proclamations of 'I am a scientist' because he does casual science experiments at home with his kid. (...that certainly was an odd prolonged discussion point on PWL as the other three pushed back on both that proclamation and definition.) To Baker's credit, he always seems to be looking for the ultimate, purest form of creativity, and maybe thinks NFTs are the next evolution in this. (It ain't.) I hope he gets more understanding and contexts re: NFTs, 'cause this is a whole pile of noooope.

Last edited:

greenbird

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
she replied in the comments

"Hello, new commenters. I want to note that we did not pick the topic of this episode before recording (which should be pretty clear if you see how it comes up). Troy had no way of knowing we'd talk about NFTs when he skipped this week. Bless anyone who thought this show was that organized, lol."

Indeed, I didn't mean to imply he knew the topic and avoided it. As a weekly watcher, I know the episodes rarely stick to some pre-planned idea, and just sort of end up where they do organically.

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
I sure see you in every NFT thread saying the same thing, but never why NFTs are good and what kind of unique benefit that can't be replicated any other way but using them they bring
Y'all can look through my post history for NFT posts, cannot be bothered to repeat the same arguments for the umpteenth time, while getting roasted by several angry posters. So many quote alerts 🤣
Creation of artificial scarcity. It's a damn scam.
Nah... You can have limited, or infinite items as an NFT.

"NFTs destroy the environment"
Nah... There are proof of stake alternatives to Ethereum.

"It's a ponzi"
How? In fact don't bother....

They are not inherently bad, that at least, is factual. Trying to dispute that just shows how pointless the arguement gets in here.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
NFTs are and have always been inherently bad because administering them and creating them has never had any value outside of a destructive wealth scheme. Don't be a fool

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
User Banned (3 days): Hostility
Y'all can look through my post history for NFT posts, cannot be bothered to repeat the same arguments for the umpteenth time, while getting roasted by several angry posters. So many quote alerts 🤣

I'll eat the ban. Fuck off. This same fucking routine each and every time. You know why you're doing this, you know you haven't actually provided any sort of answer, you know the mods will never touch you because you keep it "civil".

Just fuck off with this. Fuck off.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow troy really doubled down huh

Fuck him, like this stuff goes BEYOND just being nfts = bad, like this does really negative stuff for voice acting

Jan 21, 2019
I prefer to create something constructive and beneficial for people.

Bolded is the standard go-to counter that right wing politicians use whenever something inevitably goes wrong.

Things never work out the "intended" way. People are ultimately predatory beings that maximize short-term gains without accounting for long-term sustainability or the human suffering they cause. We have become exceptionally good at taking advantage of the human psyche and they are doing it for their own benefit.

They hand-wave arguments by saying "we are merely giving people what they want" and even when there's science to back up claims they say "not enough evidence to prove the suggested correlation"

We need strict control and regulation to eliminate products from the market that have a negative impact on people's lives. I shouldn't have to worry about things like whether baby food on shelves in grocery stores are of such questionable quality that we shouldn't even give them to our dogs. We can use science now to dictate what should or shouldn't exist on the market.

Merely "educating people" and hoping they do the right thing will lead us to extinction.

Great reply. Couldn't have said it better myself.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas

"It's a ponzi"

They are not inherently bad, that at least, is factual. Trying to dispute that just shows how pointless the arguement gets in here.

They use several time more power than standard transactions and solve no problems, only introduce new ones. They are inherently bad.

Why are all crypto bros so fervent with their defense for their scams?

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
There's the bait ...

tenor.gif

Wait for it ...

"It's a ponzi"

Ah, there's the trolling.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hate this because it's literally not true. Like you actually have no idea what you're talking about. What "good" uses of nfts can there possibly be when their application is used to create "digital scarcity"- and badly, at that?

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
She compared it to microtransactions in her podcast. I honestly stopped watching it at that point since I couldn't bare to listen more to it. Maybe she is against them, but it seemed to me very deceptive to say that NFTs are basically microtransactions or DLC.

That was not a comparison meant to be positive. Alanah isn't the type of person to post "fuck NFT's" or "fuck microtransaction" with passion, but that doesn't mean she's a supporter, very much the opposite. But there's also a cynical side to her position of realizing that even if the industry is adopting something shitty, there comes a point you can't really do anything about it outside of hoping it backfires.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Is there still room on the hate train? Because yeah, I hate this.

Anyone shilling for NFTs that doesn't source actual reasons for them to exist it's either a fool or a troll.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

I did. Its a whole lot of you saying "NFTs are not bad", calling other ignorants for complaining about it and coatriding someone who used the adult and sex industry need for alternative payment methods as the good application for NFTs and then when people started challenging him started getting defensive and mentioning personal issues to fish for some bans. I scrolled several pages and haven't seen once you citing one positive way that NFTs can be used that can't be replicated in other, less environmental damaging, pyramid scheme prone ways. If you did, this is an easy crow for you to feed me, just go there, copy, paste it and make me look like a clown. I'll take any L's if they actually exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.