Status
Not open for further replies.

niaobx

Aug 3, 2020
Yeah definitely. Just didn't want to see her argue in favor of them or say that it's not a big deal so at that point I stopped listening. Glad to hear from others that listened to it all say that she's against them.

So you'd rather go on about how deceptive someone is than actually listen to what they even have to say?

Jmille99

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that Troy Baker stole thousands of dollars from fans (including myself) with a crowdfunded album, including autographed CDs that he never sent out.

He gets away with it because

A) He does character voices that people enjoy
B) He is white
C) He is blond with blue eyes

PaRappa's voice actor (who is not white) got shit on by a whole lot more people here for taking $100 (as opposed to Troy's thousands) from some kids for a gig he never ended up doing.

Wonder why people aren't as outraged when Troy does something worse, though? 🤔

Im assuming nothing ever came from this? Not just a finished product but a response from Troy himself?

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
And here come the bans, like clockwork. Well done crypto troll you succeeded again.

Could it be any more obvious that the guy is not arguing in good faith?

Deleted member 10335

User-requested account closure
Sep 27, 2021
Im assuming nothing ever came from this? Not just a finished product but a response from Troy himself?
The album was released, but non of the pledge benefits like CD's, LP's, and other physical items were sent out.

No money was returned, not even for the shipping costs.

To make matters worse, the site that the content was hosted on (Pledge Music) went under, so the digital content isn't even accessible anymore.

Edit: I have a bunch of emails mentioning delays, but it's just all hot air.

Last edited:

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
I did. Its a whole lot of you saying "NFTs are not bad", calling other ignorants for complaining about it and coatriding someone who used the adult and sex industry need for alternative payment methods as the good application for NFTs and then when people started challenging him started getting defensive and mentioning personal issues to fish for some bans. I scrolled several pages and haven't seen once you citing one positive way that NFTs can be used that can't be replicated in other, less environmental damaging, pyramid scheme prone ways. If you did, this is an easy crow for you to feed me, just go there, copy, paste it and make me look like a clown. I'll take any L's if they actually exist.
But you won't tho will you? You'll just argue against it and several others will join you (and the tedious back and forth that I can't be bothered with right now) will ensue.

You missed where I post that my interest is in minting my music (on PoS so not environmentally damaging), to help against copyright infringement. Where scarcity also doesn't apply as people can find those same tracks on other services. No ponzi there either, if somebody wanted to purchase said NFT from for a tidy some that was compelling enough then maybe I'd sell, and there'd be nothing wrong with that.

So what would be inherently bad about me using NFTs for this purpose? Take your time... I probably won't respond

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
I don't know who this guy is, but screw him.

I almost puked when I checked that NFT twitter account. So many "crypto promoters" accounts replying there for a "collaboration". It's sickening when I checked those accounts, it reads like full of scam and ads on shady stuff.

WTF is happening here.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
And here come the bans, like clockwork. Well done crypto troll you succeeded again.

Could it be any more obvious that the guy is not arguing in good faith?
It's obvious trolling & baiting, but that person does deserve a 3-day ban for saying that they'll gladly eat a ban and then tell another user to fuck off multiple times. People need to use the report function en masse when trolls appear and to let the moderators handle the behind-the-scenes work rather than getting heated.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
So you'd rather go on about how deceptive someone is than actually listen to what they even have to say?
Well like I mentioned it seemed deceptive to compare NFTs to microtransactions. I didn't like to hear that line of argument so I stopped listening. I also said that she is probably against them so I just pointed out something she said and my opinion about it while also mentioning that I didnt listen to the entire thing. Nothing deceptive about that.

Last edited:

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
It's the same story every time with these crypto threads. Some NFT fan wants to defend the scam, but they've all always got the Colin Moriarty excuse of "you guys are mean so really it's your fault I'm running away from explaining myself".🙄

collige

Oct 31, 2017
But you won't tho will you? You'll just argue against it and several others will join you (and the tedious back and forth that I can't be bothered with right now) will ensue.

You missed where I post that my interest is in minting my music (on PoS so not environmentally damaging), to help against copyright infringement. Where scarcity also doesn't apply as people can find those same tracks on other services. No ponzi there either, if somebody wanted to purchase said NFT from for a tidy some that was compelling enough then maybe I'd sell, and there'd be nothing wrong with that.

So what would be inherently bad about me using NFTs for this purpose? Take your time... I probably won't respond
I can right click your music NFTs just like I can right click your jpeg NFTs

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas

"bUt yOu wOnT"

Yet you ignored the part where I pointed out that *any* crypto solution (even PoS) uses *more power* than standard CC transactions, and is therefor inherently worse for the environment. You also own nothing but a text file.

You're not interested in discussion here. You're doing what all crypto grifters do: trying to convince us your scam is great so that people don't pull out their value & crash the market.

That's it.

Also, I'm not positive, but minting an NFT is not the same as a copyright.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017

How does minting music help against copyright infringement exactly if an NFT just contains an URL that redirects to the source of said content? Unless the source has a secondary verification measure but at that point the NFT seems pointless.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017

What copyright infringement? A link to a URL?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
How would that even work? If Troy did an NFT voicing a character he dubbed on a game and took profit with it he could be roasted by the IP holder no?

Correct. Like I said previously, the voice actor doesn't own the performance - the IP holder does. This is why Sean Schemmel doesn't like to do the Goku voice in public, for example, because Funimation and Toei are EXTREMELY PROTECTIVE of that performance and can ding him financially if he breaks the terms of his contract.

So a voice actor doing an NFT in-character and profiting off of it could potentially stand as breach of contract. There are plenty of legal gray areas - like doing a voice but never identifying it as the character in question (it's a voice, after all, there's only so much you can do to control how a person talks) - but Troy does not own his performance as Joel: Sony and Naughty Dog do.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
But you won't tho will you?

If you dont post it, yeah i won't, hard to argue against something that doesnt exist.

You missed where I post that my interest is in minting my music (on PoS so not environmentally damaging), to help against copyright infringement.

Which is not dependant on any unique technology NFTs are bringing. Nor guaranteed to actually help, as other musicians doing the same thing or thinking about it are discovering. The groundwork isn't there yet, just like the promises of miraculous new games using features nobody developed yet, just "think its possible". Guesswork and theorycrafting based on what if's and not an actual, tangible benefit people can start up and reap the benefits from the technology itself instead of the reselling of the rights.

So what would be inherently bad about me using NFTs for this purpose? Take your time

Dont need to, you're shifting goalposts since that was not what i asked you. I asked "what benefit NFTs bring that are unique to the technology of NFTs and can't be replicated in any other way". You didn't answer that.

I probably won't respond

Well what can i argue back to such compelling argument.

Jmille99

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The album was released, but non of the pledge benefits like CD's, LP's, and other physical items were sent out.

No money was returned, not even for the shipping costs.

To make matters worse, the site that the content was hosted on (Pledge Music) went under, so the digital content isn't even accessible anymore.

Edit: I have a bunch of emails mentioning delays, but it's just all hot air.

Well thats shitty. Thanks for info. Had no idea about any of this.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
So the tech behind this is basically Hatsune Miku? Why would he want that. Nobody would need him anymore lol. And besides, people would just buy it and make him say disgusting shit.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Mods really are just letting a bunch of NFT astroturfing accounts fester in this forum and then banning people for being angry at the astroturfing accounts.
It's blatant, every single one of the cryptobros just repeat the same easily debunkable shit over and over again in threads and then bail, just for another one to repeat the same shit until no one has the energy to keep debunking that shit again.
Keep banning people for being justifiably angry at this shit and y'all will have your libertarian tech-bro forum.

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
I can right click your music NFTs just like I can right click your jpeg NFTs
I did make that point in the post you quoted, hence no scarcity. I'll have a timestamped NFT to prove my ownership tho (as well as upload dates on various platforms, and multiple witnesses etc...). What would you have?

This would cost me pennies to pounds and would have been little (if any) effect on the environment.

Dont need to, you're shifting goalposts since that was not what i asked you. I asked "what benefit NFTs bring that are unique to the technology of NFTs and can't be replicated in any other way". You didn't answer that.
Way to prove my point. On that note, I'm out...

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
You destroy your own arguments right here. You say minting music helps against copyright infringement somehow, but the scarcity doesn't apply because it can be found on other services. "if somebody wanted to purchase said NFT from for a tidy some that was compelling enough then maybe I'd sell, and there'd be nothing wrong with that." sounds very much like what a scalper or someone involved with a ponzi scheme would say.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

The hell does this even mean? You wouldn't own the IP

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
"Don't invest, Joel. Don't you fucking invest, Joel!"

images

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mods really are just letting a bunch of NFT astroturfing accounts fester in this forum and then banning people for being angry at the astroturfing accounts.
It's blatant, every single one of the cryptobros just repeat the same easily debunkable shit over and over again in threads and then bail, just for another one to repeat the same shit until no one has the energy to keep debunking that shit again.
Keep banning people for being justifiably angry at this shit and y'all will have your libertarian tech-bro forum.
We have a dedicated crypto thread. It tells you so much about where this forum is at, huh? I can't imagine it gets much better from here.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
"Always unsurprised but forever disappointed" - The Troy Baker tagline.

Abby was right indeed, lol.

collige

Oct 31, 2017

I had the same point a few pages back. I think what's more likely to happen is that whoever does this will simply have their NFT revoked for using it the wrong way (which despite all the talk about "ownership" is something they can definitely put in the license). It's gonna be real embarassing when it does happen though.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
He does seem like the type who would be all over scams like this, and reading this thread it seems he has somewhat of a history of scamming as well.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Someone floated the idea awhile back that the Last of Us Remake should have Pedro Pascal voice Joel instead of Troy Baker. At the time I didn't think this a good idea but now...

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I think it's tacky when there's a celebrity malicious egg on face incident and the peanut gallery uses it as an opportunity to posture and announce they "never liked em anyway" but I'll show how I'm a hypocrite right here

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
It's the same story every time with these crypto threads. Some NFT fan wants to defend the scam, but they've all always got the Colin Moriarty excuse of "you guys are mean so really it's your fault I'm running away from explaining myself".🙄
lol for real.

My personal favorite is the "you just don't understand it and have a negative first impression. Learn and research more before commenting. We just need more advocacy"

As if I didn't initially come into learning about NFTs/web3 with a totally open mind and find new reasons to dislike them everytime I learn anything new about the space. All the advocacy I have encountered is exactly the same giant red flag stuff you see from people deep into MLMs. I'm not new to crypto, my first bitcoin transactions were in 2014 -- I've had plenty of time and information about it to think seriously about it and reach my conclusions.

Armoredgoomba

Jun 17, 2018
Can't possibly roll my eyes harder when I see a company claim "this is only possible through the power of NFT and Web3."

Last edited:

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I did make that point in the post you quoted, hence no scarcity. I'll have a timestamped NFT to prove my ownership tho (as well as upload dates on various platforms, and multiple witnesses etc...). What would you have?
I'd have a WAV of your music that I can listen to and remix however I want. AKA copyright infringement, the thing you said NFTs would stop.

If download a song from iTunes and put it on the Pirate Bay, you have to get lawyers and DMCA requests, etc to stop me
If I right click a limited run NFT song and put it on the Pirate Bay, you still have to get lawyers and DMCA requests, etc to stop me

Jun 22, 2021
Y'all can look through my post history for NFT posts, cannot be bothered to repeat the same arguments for the umpteenth time, while getting roasted by several angry posters. So many quote alerts 🤣

Nah... You can have limited, or infinite items as an NFT.

"NFTs destroy the environment"
Nah... There are proof of stake alternatives to Ethereum.

"It's a ponzi"
How? In fact don't bother....

They are not inherently bad, that at least, is factual. Trying to dispute that just shows how pointless the arguement gets in here.

NFTs are pyramids scheme for gullible fools, they also are harmful to the planet and quite frankly if you're too blind to see that then I question how your parents raised you.

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
Why do all these NFTs look like free PowerPoint clip art. Get someone like Ayami Kojima to make some of this money laundering scheme art and we got something going. Anyway, back to patiently awaiting the Belle Delphine NFT arc.

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
They did an episode on it pretty recently, but it just so happens that Troy wasn't on that week.

This discussion is really good btw. They are pretty good at clearly speaking to why NFTs are 1. not really useful for games and 2. bad.

The fact that Baker's face is on screen at all times during this makes it kind of darkly funny though.

Status
Not open for further replies.