• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
How about I save my $10 and for only $10 more I'll pick up Skater XL instead.

I loved THPS games back in the day, but after going to Skate, I can't go back. The controls are so stiff and boring. Nostalgia wore off by the time I finished the school.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Sucks you have to pay for the upgrade, but I lucked out since I fucked up and bought the digital deluxe by mistake!

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Are people actually complaining about $10 Jesus I can't

I'm in for the PS5 version, instant loading times alone is worthwhile, higher res is great too. Surprised they actually did 120fps.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The entitlement sure is something. I'd get the outrage if you couldn't play the game on PS5/Series already, but you can. There's full backwards compatibility. The tax is for the NEW improvements, I really don't see the problem with that. If you like the game so much that you want to continue playing it with upgraded visuals you pay a small extra, if you don't care that much you can keep playing it as is for no extra cost.

Also, this was a 40 dollar release. Crash was 60 and had a free upgrade, but the Digital Deluxe Edition of THPS - which cost 50 bucks - also has a free upgrade included.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Are people actually complaining about $10 Jesus I can't

I'm in for the PS5 version, instant loading times alone is worthwhile, higher res is great too. Surprised they actually did 120fps.
Why charge $10 for Tony Hawk when it's mostly performance changes? They're offering Crash 4 for free and It's already confirmed to get texture and lighting improvements with the performance boost.
Hey devs, 60 fps on Switch or bust. At least offer it as a performance mode.
These games were made with the PS4/Xbox One in mind. They already gotta downgrade resolution and lots of assets to barely hit native res and 30fps on Switch. Can't recall many games this graphically intensive getting a Switch port to have 60fps. You're not seeing 60fps games like Doom, Persona 5 Strikers, Crash 4, etc keep 60fps on Switch.

Johnson

Jan 8, 2018
The headline should be "Xbox disc owners have to buy the game again for $50/£50"... wtf?!?!?!

Tennis

Oct 27, 2017
This is cool! I can't wait to experience the game at 120fps. I'm supper happy at least and will gladly pay ten dollars for the update.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I mean, with other companies spoil their userbases, inconsistent upgrades across all versions, and helmed by Bobby "I don't pay taxes and also in Jeffery Epstein's Black Book" Kotick, it starts to add up in the disgruntlement.
Let's be real though, for 90% of the posters it has nothing to do with it beyond the first thing. It's just an "I'm entitled to it for free" mentality, doing it for one game doesn't mean it should be done for all others. companies giving free upgrades is great. I'd obviously prefer it. But it's never something I feel like I deserve.

The Xbox physical edition not getting an upgrade is the one worth actually complaining about but it seems most people didn't even realize that

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the upgrade details, it seems like it'll give you the deluxe edition for $10 more, and when the game launched I believe the standard edition was $40.

I can understand not wanting to pay tho.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
Ehh this is the kind of game I'll not upgrade just to save some space on the internal drive as the enhancements don't really add much.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Looking at the upgrade details, it seems like it'll give you the deluxe edition for $10 more, and when the game launched I believe the standard edition was $40.

I can understand not wanting to pay tho.

yep, if you bought the digital deluxe version when the game launched.
You get the upgrade for free

If you didn't : you just pay the difference.

That's pretty reasonable isn't it? A better scenario than Control.

ShinAmano

Oct 30, 2017
Chances it hits gamepass? I loved the game a lifetime ago...but only mildly curious on a remake.

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
$10 for what is basically a higher res version is bad, if they upgrades lighting and textures, i would consider it

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Personally yea, I think I'll upgrade. I thought the value for $40 was great, and this upgrade allows me to get some deluxe edition bonuses that's great.

smart patrol

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad I purchased the digital deluxe and look forward to seeing how the 120fps feels.

Very lame that they're charging for the upgrade otherwise when there's no new content, just a resolution/framerate bump.

Anyway, I hope this game continues to do well so we can get a 3+4 remaster eventually.

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017

I'd say so, someone had to rip off the "upgrade fee bandage" eventually, and how could we not be surprised it was Activision? This is a much better situation than Control, I would much rather have previous gen games have a $10-20 upgrade cost than being completely re-released for $40-70.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So the update is just a general res/framerate boost? Like, are we getting higher res textures at least? Raytracing maybe? I kinda feel like a basic Res/framerate boost is about as low effort as it comes for these kinds of upgrades.

Johnson

Jan 8, 2018
I'd say so, someone had to rip off the "upgrade fee bandage" eventually, and how could we not be surprised it was Activision? This is a much better situation than Control, I would much rather have previous gen games have a $10-20 upgrade cost than being completely re-released for $40-70.
Tony Hawk is being completely re-released for Xbox disc owners for $50!

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017
Tony Hawk is being completely re-released for Xbox disc owners for $50!
I can't even begin to understand why that is happening considering so many other games can do this without issue, not to mention PS4 disc owners can do this. Obviously if they wanted they could have just re-released it on both consoles without offering a free upgrade, it doesn't make sense to only offer it on one platform unless there is some behind the scenes issue with that process for the Xbox version.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

Sure. Unless you bought it on disc on Xbox and then it's equally bad. Fortunately I didn't buy it physically but I feel for Xbox peeps who did.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
I was considering double dipping on Switch, but Tony Hawk at 30fps a big no from me.

TAYREL713

Oct 30, 2017
So me buying the high end physical edition on Xbox (you know the $100 one that came with the deck) nets me absolutely nothing on my Series X. Damn Activision, straight played your man.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
This game was so good but fuck me it was short, did everything you could do in it within 2 days
Really? I remember putting 100s of hours into 2 back in the day.

Getting all the gaps was particularly arduous, is that not in it?

The game has many many hours of content if you care about doing all the hardest challenges and stuff. and the game is also beatable in like 90 minutes at a casual speed if you only care about playing through the campaign once. You are kind of both right.

Wislizeni

Oct 27, 2017
So glad to finally get to play these games. I wasn't big into skating as a kid, so it just kind of flew under my radar. Always curious, though.

I was considering double dipping on Switch, but Tony Hawk at 30fps a big no from me.
Were these games 60fps on PS1? I'll still bite either way, though I am curious.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
So glad to finally get to play these games. I wasn't big into skating as a kid, so it just kind of flew under my radar. Always curious, though.

Were these games 60fps on PS1? I'll still bite either way, though I am curious.

They were 30fps on PS1.

Alas, if you haven't been told yet -- THPS isn't really a skating sim at all, it's more like a score-driven arcade game. I've personally never been directly into skating, I just sort of admired it from afar, but only thanks to playing THPS, but I still love THPS as a video game.

There's layers to the presentation that certainly appeal to real skate fans but I argue it's not at all a necessity to enjoy these games.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
PS5 updates detailed:

Skate in super crisp 120 FPS at 1080P or 60 FPS in native 4K. Watch the levels come to life using sharper dynamic shadows, reflections, and lens flare, plus enhanced skater textures.

The PS5 enhancements don't stop at audio and visual upgrades, either. Major features include:

• 120 FPS @1080p
  • Native 4k 60fps
  • SSD & Immediacy
  • Haptic feedback via the DualSense wireless controller
  • Spatialized Audio
  • High Fidelity Atmospherics
  • Activities and Game Help
  • Cross-Gen Progression
This is Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 and 2 in its fastest, sharpest, and most feature-rich iteration to-date.

I think this is worth the $10 upgrade, considering I only paid $40 for the PS4 version. Sue me.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
It's not the ten dollars. It's the principle of it. Paying any money at all for a patch which basically changes the resolution and fps values in the config file is absurd. It could be two dollars and it would still be hilariously lame. The fact that the game is only five months old and that dozens of other games got PS5 upgrades for free just makes it look even worse. Don't get me wrong: Activision is free to ask whatever they wish for the upgrade... but we as consumers are equally as free to tell them to fuck off and take a pass on it.
This always seems like a weird way to be reductive about the changes:
it's not just a patch, it's a new build
it has newer/better assets
it has a higher framerate available
it has reworked audio
full benefits of the new system (SSD, haptics, etc)
Other benefits of varying weight

Like I said in a previous post, it's not cool that they're doing this mere months after release, but it's certain better than how 505 handled Control and it's basically them making the Deluxe version the "one" version of the actual game, since this is basically a Deluxe upgrade.