• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck that noise. Glad I never got caught up with the series. I hope they give him a proper punishment unlike some people.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Yeah that sucks, always seems some of the more creative people seem to be the craziest.

Feel bad for the artist but she's well regarded for her work on this and with how in flux the SJ lineup is I'm sure they'll either let her do a one shot or pair her up with another writer real quick.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
W16qxT4.png

Makes you wonder.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I can't imagine they'd be up for this, but how cool would it be if they were to reboot the series with a new writer? Keep the artist in work, keep the fans happy, and grind the asshole's legacy into the fucking dirt.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
WHAT THE FUUUUUUCK!? One of the last people I'd expect this from. Throw him out.

Also, feel bad for the artist and anime studio. They don't deserve this shit.

Last edited:

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Hope this dickhead actually faces some serious consequences. Feel bad for the victims as well as the artist. Hope she lands on her feet.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, wtf. Sick motherfucker.

I hope the best for the victims, and hope this fucker doesn't get off easy like other mangaka. This is assault so I'm hoping it'll be different.

Also hope the best for the artist. I've wanted to pick up Act Age for a while but I can't bring myself to do that now. Hopefully she'll land on her feet running in whatever comes next for her.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Ah damn, I really enjoyed this series.

Well, into the trash it goes. I hope the artist bounces back from this, since she's been great. I also hope Jump adds a similarly non-Jump-like series later.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
Last thing I'm gonna say since this id derailing unnecessarily, but the socially distancing comment is still not weird or suspicious to me, and it still feels like a reach to make that specific connection

It's more the "I just need a bike for my hobby needs to be met" and then he gets arrested for fondling little girls and using a bike to escape.
It might just be a coincidence, or it might be him getting off from telling the world about his hobbies.

less

Oct 25, 2017
What a trash person. I was actually somewhat interested in checking out this manga at some point (I glanced at a few chapters and liked what I read) but that basically isn't going to happen anymore.

Hope the artist moves onto better things.

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit. Welp RIP Act Age. Shame it's a very different manga than what's usually in Jump and had a lot of potential. Didn't know the artist and writer weren't the same person. Glad the artist is clean in this though, she's really good.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Mother's Basement will reupload the video where he recommended it.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
think i only browsed through the 1st chapter quickly long time ago, never grabbed my attention

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Mother's Basement will reupload the video where he recommended it.

It certainly has poorly aged. Not just the Act-Age recommendation but the Time Paradox Ghostwriter one too. That one has its own controversy and is likely getting cancelled. Not like this, no that's more on the premise and readers reaaally not liking it. To the point that the first collected volume rewrote dialogue.

haziq

Oct 29, 2017
There is an extreme amount of pedophilia & sexual deviance in entertainment industries. It's becoming a meme. A very fucked up meme.

I hope the victim or victims are okay, and that they receive justice.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It certainly has poorly aged. Not just the Act-Age recommendation but the Time Paradox Ghostwriter one too. That one has its own controversy and is likely getting cancelled. Not like this, no that's more on the premise and readers reaaally not liking it. To the point that the first collected volume rewrote dialogue.
Wait what happened with Time Paradox Ghostwriter?!

Oct 25, 2017
Uh, did it go somewhere else since I read it because it was just about writing manga and some light time paradox elements?

They really didn't like the plagiarism aspect. That was what was rewritten. There might be more but that's the example I saw.
Western readers didn't seem to mind it as much, but they grew tired of Teppei's whiny attitude and martyr complex.

RealTravisty

Mar 29, 2018
Uh, did it go somewhere else since I read it because it was just about writing manga and some light time paradox elements?
I believe he's referring to the plagiarism. A lot of people really don't like that aspect of the main character, and dialogue was rewritten in the first volume release so that he wouldn't admit to being a plagiarist.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I find the folks posting the equivalent "Well, I never liked it to begin with" clowns.

I've been reading Act-Age since Chapter 1, and what really makes this news hurt is the fact that Act-Age was really good. The cast is primarily female, but there's practically no fanservice and there's not a lot of shonen tropes, favoring character development and intimate moments instead. It is nothing short of a miracle that this manga managed to be successful in a magazine oriented towards teenage boys. So, it sucks to hear that the author was actually doing shit, especially considering this manga was the outlier in the way it handled women.

I hope the victims get the justice they deserve and I hope the author gets punished for this shit. Considering he was the one with the film experience, I don't know if there's any way for this manga to go on. If there is no way, then I hope the illustrator finds more success with her next project.

But man, it really sucks that a manga with this much promise and uniqueness has to end like this.

RuffMadman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I find the folks posting the equivalent "Well, I never liked it to begin with" clowns.

I've been reading Act-Age since Chapter 1, and what really makes this news hurt is the fact that Act-Age was really good. The cast is primarily female, but there's practically no fanservice and there's not a lot of shonen tropes, favoring character development and intimate moments instead. It is nothing short of a miracle that this manga managed to be successful in a magazine oriented towards teenage boys. So, it sucks to hear that the author was actually doing shit, especially considering this manga was the outlier in the way it handled women.

I hope the victims get the justice they deserve and I hope the author gets punished for this shit. Considering he was the one with the film experience, I don't know if there's any way for this manga to go on. If there is no way, then I hope the illustrator finds more success with her next project.

But man, it really sucks that a manga with this much promise and uniqueness has to end like this.

Galactic Railroad and Princess Iron Fan are both top tier arcs and the upcoming one was looking to be just as great. Unfortunately I don't think another writer could do just as well if replaced. I would love for it to continue without the writer but it's starting to seem unlikely to me.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Official statement from the Shonen Jump editorial dept.

Their still discussing what to do, and what punishment for the writer from their end. The coments on twitter are pretty much, they hope the series can continue, and want SJ to give apology and compensation to the vitims of the writers crime. and wanting the series to contineu without the original writer.
Yeah this all points to the artist getting out of this all right otherwise there'll be huge flack. Cleanest cut is either partnering her up with someone on a new series that's been on the back burner looking for an artist or if she's ready have her do a new one shot. Trying to do anything with AA will be messy

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously fuck this guy but the cynic in me is wondering if this'll turn out like another Watsuki situation or the Toriko guy and this scum will just get a slap on the wrist just like them.

Then again I've never heard of him or his work before so hopefully he doesn't have enough clout to be able to get away with it.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Official statement from the Shonen Jump editorial dept.

Their still discussing what to do, and what punishment for the writer from their end. The coments on twitter are pretty much, they hope the series can continue, and want SJ to give apology and compensation to the vitims of the writers crime. and wanting the series to contineu without the original writer.
I'm surprised they're trying to continue it. I imagine getting the rights to the series must be pretty difficult even with criminal charges? Like he would have to voluntarily give it up, no?

Mar 7, 2020
USA
Japan's copyright law is pretty different from the West, since usually, the creator retains the right to it. So there are a couple possibilities.

1. Writer gets fired from SJ, and SJ drops the project completely, and he can continue the series with another publisher, or he can just do webnovels like some other authors do when no publishers want to deal with them. (Lonely attack on the different world)

2. SJ buys the right to the series, and hires another writer to continue the series with the originalartist, asssitance and editors

3. SJ decides to suspend the series for a few month. Wait for news to be forgotte, the rerelease the series again. (High Score girl, New life+ Young again in another world)

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Obviously fuck this guy but the cynic in me is wondering if this'll turn out like another Watsuki situation or the Toriko guy and this scum will just get a slap on the wrist just like them.

Then again I've never heard of him or his work before so hopefully he doesn't have enough clout to be able to get away with it.
Watsuki was allowed to continue because of clout (we know how common that is...). Whereas this is Matsuki's first series.

And Shimabukuro's first series (when the incident occurred) was cancelled. Most likely given a second chance because of his connections.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Plagiarism probablly wasn't gonna be the whole thing about it, but starting out like that made the biggest impression. I could have seen it get some discussion going in other intersting ways but even as weird time crimes, it doesn't garner much favor to japanese audience.
Act-Age guy i don't know much about, but jail time seems likley with that evidence. I don't know how to regard Kenshin's case since that seemed like a way more popular series, with way more forgiveness being handed out by people in power.