• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I mean, Popo is the lead Ice Climber by default. Nana just mirrors what Popo does & you have no

Nana is still playable and has the same amount of color pallettes. You can have Popo fill the role so I'm not sure how that is remotely similar to Banjo-Kazooie's moveset which doesn't have two characters that can be KO'd separately.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
They've gotta make each model from scratch and the male versions are more iconic to Japanese audiences. I'm sure if they had all the time in the world there'd be unique models for each costume but there's deadlines to meet. It's disappointing but them's the breaks.
"Females are harder to animate"

shauntu

Oct 27, 2017
Alt costumes are inherently less important then the main one.

The fact that DQ didn't even get that much is what makes it feel especially egregious.

If someone is arguing alt. costumes are of less importance, why are they simultaneously arguing that Hero should have female alt. costumes?

Myself, I count the alt. costumes as just as important as the default costumes. Ike with his Hero costume is my main, rather than Ike with his default Ranger costume. I always use Pikachu Libre instead of the other costume options. I always use Little Mac's wireframe alt -- my daughter 90% of the time picks Little Mac's default. I usually pick female Robin; meanwhile, I usually use male Wii Fit Fighter.

I have choices, and that is good.

I definitely see the point of arguing the case that Hero should have had female alt. costumes. It just seems odd to me that those same people are at the same time saying alt. costumes don't count with Smash's female representation.

shauntu

Oct 27, 2017
Alts aren't a replacement for default characters (default characters are the ones who get top billing on the roster. they're the ones that appear more often in merch/promotional material. The very fact that 'girls' are considered as alternates or secondary while boys are the default/main is a huge problem on its own) but alts are also better than -literally nothing-. It's not weird at all for people to complain about the lack of alts here, or complaining about 11 dudes being on the Final Smash, while still not considering alts the same thing as a default character.

You don't need to add technicalities for male representation in smash. You don't need to start counting alts hidden behind the roster, characters that are secondary to their counterpart or go "this pikachu doesn't have a heart tail!!" to inflate the numbers. That's why alts obviously aren't the same as main characters with a roster spot. (And I mean, if you count Wendy you're literally adding six other dudes to the roster. You can't point to the 1 girl alt out of 8 and say that 'covers' the character)

And if that is your case, then why are you simultaneously making the case that Hero should have female alt costumes?

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Her problem is the same as 2B's (never appeared on a Nintendo system before). I actually almost included her in my list of potential female fighters to include in Smash for the thread I worked on months ago.

Tracer revealed as LAST DLC fighter along with OW and/or OW2 for Switch at the game awards 2019 could be a reasonable time frame.

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
I gotta admit, one of my first reactions to the Hero reveal was "Wow, the female versions of the heroes were completely snubbed." At the very least they should have used the female version of either Erdrick or the Zenithian hero, and used the pink-haired default female version of the DQIX angel for the Smash attack. Those female versions have always existed, so why not use at least one or two?

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Yeah, it's awful.
It's baffling seeing the DQ hero get four basic recolors instead of a complete set of eight heroes.

Sakurai really has a talent of getting things so close, and screwing up at the end. Hopefully at least on of the remaining two DLC characters will be a women, but it's hard to feel confident when his history with adding women to the series so lackluster.

Nintendo chose the DLC characters, not Sakurai.

Jun 12, 2018
I feel like people have a different definition of "appalling" than I do.

I guess it would be nice if they had a female char, but I'm gonna act like Nintendo is "apalling" because of something like this. I probably would be more annoyed if they didnt add female characters like Robin or Lucina previously.

I'm just happy we even got more than one hero to begin with.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It's a little weird seeing people complain of no female alt's for Hero while simultaneously stating that their concern is with Smash representation of women fighters AND dismissing all the female alt costumes as being... alt costumes.

List time! Includes available and announced DLC.

Female Mains (Default Costume):
  1. Samus Aran
  2. Zero Suit Samus
  3. Dark Samus
  4. Zelda
  5. Shiek
  6. Peach
  7. Daisy
  8. Rosalina (of Rosalina & Luma)
  9. Jigglypuff
  10. Nana (of Ice Climbers)
  11. Lucina
  12. Palutena
  13. Wii Fit Trainer
  14. Bayonetta
  15. Isabelle
  16. Inkling
  17. Mii Gunner
  18. Kazooie (of Banjo & Kazooie)

Female Mains (Alt. Costumes):
  1. Wendy O. Koopa
  2. Pikachu Libre
  3. Pokémon Trainer
  4. Robin
  5. Corrin
  6. Villager
  7. Spiky Pichu
  8. Mii Brawler
  9. Mii Swordfighter

Overall, that covers 27 out of 80 available/announced fighters. I don't know, seems to me that Smash representation of women fighters is in good shape.
But you had to add the secondary part of partner duos (Kazooie & Nana) as well as a character whose gender is unspecified (Jigglypuff) to get that number for the defaults. To better illustrate the problem, here's A.By's post from a thread we worked on.
I'd strongly disagree with that. I mean, before Bayonetta was added to Smash, I don't think people would include Bayonetta as significant enough, yet here she is. The problem is also not just what isn't there, but what is - a fair few characters are variants of another, either conceptually or mechanically. The list of female characters who are

1. Exclusively female
2. Non-derivative mechanically or conceptually (ie, no ZSS)

1. Samus
2. Peach
3. Zelda
4. Palutena
5. Bayonetta
6. Rosalina & Luma

Comparatively, derivative female characters, or female characters with a male option (either default or not)

1. Sheik
2. Ice Climbers
3. Zero Suit Samus
4. Wii Fit Trainer
5. Inkling
6. Isabelle
7. Dark Samus
8. Daisy
9. Corrin
10. Robin
11. Mii Gunner
12. Mii Brawler
13. Mii Swordfighter
14. Villager
15. Bowser Jr. (as Wendy)
16. Pokemon Trainer
17. Pikachu (as Pikachu Libre)
18. Pichu (as Spiked-Ear Pichu)
19. Lucina

Pardon if I missed some. Comparatively, when the standard is applied to men...

1. Mario
2. Bowser
3. Bowser Jr.
4. Donkey Kong
5. Diddy Kong
6. King K. Rool
7. Wario
8. Yoshi
9. Pikachu
10. Link
11. Meta Knight
12. King Dedede
13. Ridley
14. Marth
15. Ike
16. Shulk
17. Ness
18. Fox
19. Pit
20. Captain Falcon
21. Pikmin & Olimar
22. Little Mac
23. Mr. Game & Watch
24. R.O.B.
25. Snake
26. Sonic
27. Mega Man
28. Pac-Man
29. Ryu
30. Cloud
31. Simon
32. Joker

And derivative...

1. Luigi
2. Dr. Mario
3. Ganondorf
4. Young Link
5. Toon Link
6. Roy
7. Chrom
8. Inkling
9. Corrin
10. Robin
11. Villager
12. Wii Fit Trainer
13. Ice Climbers
14. Falco
15. Wolf
16. Lucas
17. Ken
18. Richter
19. Dark Pit
20. Bowser Jr.
21. Pokemon Trainer
22. Mii Gunner
23. Mii Swordfighter
24. Mii Brawler

More than 3/4 of female characters are either:

1. Semi-clones/Clones/Echo Fighters
2. The same person
3. Secondary gender options
4. Default gender options

Whereas less than half of male characters fit one or more of these qualifiers. When I see that, it's just hard not to perceive a bit of a bias. While there is undeniably an issue with representation of women outside of Smash influencing this, it's not so bad as to justify this big a disparity.
In my opinion, I throw more of a bone towards gender-choice characters who are female by default, but I agree with the rest of A.By's argument. For a better illustration of the problem, here's the thread on the subject that I (as well as a number of others) worked on back in March.

Last edited:

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is why I'm hoping for echoes of the DLC fighters. I wouldn't mind if they made up DQVIII and DQXI heroines. They can add them to future revisions of those games: DLC for DQXI and a rerelease of DQVIII because it deserves another one (with orchestrated music for all regions).

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If someone is arguing alt. costumes are of less importance, why are they simultaneously arguing that Hero should have female alt. costumes?

Myself, I count the alt. costumes as just as important as the default costumes. Ike with his Hero costume is my main, rather than Ike with his default Ranger costume. I always use Pikachu Libre instead of the other costume options. I always use Little Mac's wireframe alt -- my daughter 90% of the time picks Little Mac's default. I usually pick female Robin; meanwhile, I usually use male Wii Fit Fighter.

I have choices, and that is good.

I definitely see the point of arguing the case that Hero should have had female alt. costumes. It just seems odd to me that those same people are at the same time saying alt. costumes don't count with Smash's female representation.
Alt costumes don't get merchandising, appear in cutscenes or trailers(with a few rare exceptions), don't get to be on the cover, and with the exception of female Corrin don't get amiibo.

I have no idea how you can think there equal representation in any form.

The reason I'm mad at least,can't speak for others, is that it's insulting the female characters aren't even given that much.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Tracer revealed as LAST DLC fighter along with OW and/or OW2 for Switch at the game awards 2019 could be a reasonable time frame.
Such a port would be revealed at BlizzCon, not The Game Awards. Likewise, based on what was described of "Overwatch 2", it sounds more like a PvE expansion for the original game rather than a direct sequel set to replace OG Overwatch.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
1000px-Zero_Suit_Samus_Palette_%28SSBU%29.png

I don't think the costume is the problem.
If you are referring to me, Zero Suit Samus is wearing shorts in her alts and not something that looks like underwear or panties. This is Sakurai's own words if you want more proof.

Interviewer: As I understand it, CERO gave [Kid Icarus: Uprising] a B rating because of the sequence where Hydra's heads get chopped off. I have to say, though, I couldn't believe that of all things was the deciding factor.

Sakurai: It's pretty strange, I know.

Interviewer: Seems a little oversensitive to me.

Sakurai: One of the first things they say in overseas ratings reviews is "no guns"—that I can understand. But in Japan, they immediately ask "could you show us all the female characters upside-down?"

Interviewer: Well, that's, uh… Are they checking for panty shots?

Sakurai: Precisely. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U almost didn't make its scheduled release date because of ratings issues. We had to revise Palutena and Wonder Pink's models over and over again.

Interviewer: All because you might be able to see up their skirts? Seriously?

Sakurai: We had Palutena wearing shorts and made the inside of Wonder Pink's skirt too dark to see anything. Nevertheless, CERO told us the designs were "sexually provocative." They were being ridiculous and frankly quite juvenile.

Last edited:

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Smash reps always rely heavily on nostalgia, and unfortunately, none of the DQ female heroines are as iconic as their male counterparts.

Now, if they add new characters from the franchise in the future, I fully expect them to have Jessica, Jade, Alena or someone else in the game.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like people have a different definition of "appalling" than I do.

I guess it would be nice if they had a female char, but I'm gonna act like Nintendo is "apalling" because of something like this. I probably would be more annoyed if they didnt add female characters like Robin or Lucina previously.

I'm just happy we even got more than one hero to begin with.

It's the fact that characters like Robin had the female alts that akes the exclusion of a female hero appalling, we're at a point in smash bros where it's a standard feature for characters in which multiple genders apply.

MisterLuffy

Oct 25, 2017
If they want, they could dedicate the next season to be only female characters if they don't plan on adding one or two in this season pass as long as they're unique. That is if they plan to do second season pass.

Last edited:

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Such a port would be revealed at BlizzCon, not The Game Awards. Likewise, based on what was described of "Overwatch 2", it sounds more like a PvE expansion for the original game rather than a direct sequel set to replace OG Overwatch.

oh i know it's not gonna be an actual "sequel" but "OW2" it's what people universally are calling it as a place holder name since it's hinted that it might be a stand alone game, which actually a PVE only OW game would hypothetically be easier to port into the switch.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I can't think of any 3rd party female reps to put in as the last 2 dlc slots beside...Lara Croft and 2B tbh ._.

What other MAjor female 3rd party characters are there that could be in smash

Hell even Nintendo what other game from them has a female main protagonist ? Xenoblade 2? But she's like your weapon <.<. Already have too many FE characters too. They need to create more ips with a female lead .

Maybe the Astral Chain chick
Dzd3tBrU8AA5LFr.jpg:orig

Man I'd love this but not a chance it happens.

Hoping the next two give us some female reps though.

Zarzolaon

Mar 16, 2018
OH
It's the fact that characters like Robin had the female alts that akes the exclusion of a female hero appalling, we're at a point in smash bros where it's a standard feature for characters in which multiple genders apply.
They even went back and added the option for Pokemon Trainer and Pikachu, despite having to cut some previously established color alts in the process.

shauntu

Oct 27, 2017
But you had to add the secondary part of parent duos (Kazooie & Nana) as well as a character whose gender is unspecified (Jigglypuff) to get that number for the defaults. To better illustrate the problem, here's A.By's post from a thread we worked on.

In my opinion, I throw more of a bone towards gender-choice characters who are female by default, but I agree with the rest of A.By's argument. For a better illustration of the problem, here's the thread on the subject that I (as well as a number of others) worked on back in March.

So... take out Yoshi, Pikachu, and R.O.B. (which are non-gendered in their default states) and 30/80 slots (including Hero) are the only ones that would be allowed to be 'representative' of males?

I think it's silly to be applying filters and throwing out what is present as representations because it doesn't apply to marketing (e.g., I have a female Corrin amiibo and a male Inkling amiibo, that was negated by the default pick on a screen not matching those genders?). In game, it takes 1 button click to switch to the costume of my choice, don't claim the choice doesn't exist or belittle it because it's not the 'default' choice.

And yeah, I have always thought of Jigglypuff as female. In my mind that is the default gender that I have applied to that Pokémon.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017

The female Hero versions aren't the same size and have different proportions. You would need to adjust all the work done for the Luminary for those and then balance things differently. They wouldn't just be an alternate appearence like the other Heroes chosen as alts are.

Jun 12, 2018
Huh, I didnt know people expected this to be a mandatory feature for smash fighters for now on, I guess I'm just out of touch

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People aren't arguing this. They are completely dismissing her as part of a duo. Anyone who played those games know how important she was so please stop with the foolishness. Kazooie is great and hilarious.
She's an animal, literally attached to a male character, and has second billing to the dude.

You'll forgive me for not giving her as much weight as a fully playable female character.

shauntu

Oct 27, 2017
Alt costumes don't get merchandising, appear in cutscenes or trailers(with a few rare exceptions), don't get to be on the cover, and with the exception of female Corrin don't get amiibo.

I have no idea how you can think there equal representation in any form.

The reason I'm mad at least,can't speak for others, is that it's insulting the female characters aren't even given that much.

I have amiibo based on alt. costumes for Corrin, Cloud, Bayoneta, and Inkling. I can PICK the characters alts in-game very easily and do so when I play. So, yeah, they exist. The marketing btw CONSTANTLY displays alt costumes for all characters. Cutscenes for the character reveals actually revel in showing off the alt costumes.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Overall, that covers 27 out of 80 available/announced fighters. I don't know, seems to me that Smash representation of women fighters is in good shape.

I can't find the paper or the exact number but with those numbers I'm flashing back to the research showing that somewhere around 25-30% of a group being women winds up being seen as balanced gender representation.

EDIT: Had to skim some articles but this might be what I was thinking of: https://seejane.org/wp-content/uploads/gender-bias-without-borders-full-report.pdf

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So... take out Yoshi, Pikachu, and R.O.B. (which are non-gendered in their default states) and 30/80 slots (including Hero) are the only ones that would be allowed to be 'representative' of males?

I think it's silly to be applying filters and throwing out what is present as representations because it doesn't apply to marketing (e.g., I have a female Corrin amiibo and a male Inkling amiibo, that was negated by the default pick on a screen not matching those genders?). In game, it takes 1 button click to switch to the costume of my choice, don't claim the choice doesn't exist or belittle it because it's not the 'default' choice.

And yeah, I have always thought of Jigglypuff as female. In my mind that is the default gender that I have applied to that Pokémon.
So where are the amiibo for female villager, pokemon trainer, Robin, Pikachu LIbre, Spike eared Pichu, Wendy, etc?

There not as important as the default character. That is an objective fact.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago

Yeah I'm lost on this. Does male Wii Fit Trainer cancel out the existence of the female default one?

The thread literally begins with someone complainingly about the lack of female alts with Hero then proceeds to diminish every attempt or step the game makes at female inclusion by any or every means.

It can be better for sure. But it's weird to see a game such as this be criticized for giving you options such as this. I want more stand alone female characters but still enjoy the options to swap between male and female.

Also, Kazooie is a badass so let's stop diminishing her and their wildly cartoony moveset. Thank you.

shauntu

Oct 27, 2017
So where are the amiibo for female villager, pokemon trainer, Robin, Pikachu LIbre, Spike eared Pichu, Wendy, etc?

There not as important as the default character. That is an objective fact.

I'd love for more alt. based amiibo to be released. That there are more amiibo still being released and not all characters have had amiibo's released yet does make it possible more alt ones could also release.

That I can PICK the alt costumes while playing and that cutscenes, trailers, and marketing DOES showcase alt costumes are also objective facts.

Let's ask for more inclusion. Let's not dismiss and filter inclusion that DOES take place.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that we have to count Spiky Pichu to get a supposed balanced roster is really all that needs to be said IMO.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Is Sophia the one with the big poofy green hair? She's like the most iconic Dragon Quest design I can even think of because she doesn't just look like Goku, Trunks or Gohan with armor on. They should've put her in.

Thac0

Nov 15, 2017
Is Sophia the one with the big poofy green hair? She's like the most iconic Dragon Quest design I can even think of because she doesn't just look like Goku, Trunks or Gohan with armor on. They should've put her in.
I agree with you here, at the very least I wish they had included her over the male DQ IV hero. Her design is so good.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Eight and Luminary don't have female equivalents and they didn't want to make gender alts for only some of Hero variants. Is it unfortunate? Yes, but appalling seems like a bit of an overly strong word.

They absolutely could've put Sofia in instead of Solo, but that's on Square Enix for only ever promoting the male DQ heroes, not Nintendo.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
You are desperate to dismiss peoples problems aren't you?

It's more complicated than that, i personally would NOT say Kazooie is "enough" representation, but as a long time BK fans, we do find the idea of dismissing Kazooie as "a sidekick accesory to her male character" annoying and disrespectful to the character, Banjo and Kazooie have ALWAYS been inseparable and equally important to each other in the franchise, it doesn't matter that Banjo is the main body or that Kazooie literally does everything, to hardcore Banjo-Kazooie fans, they're equal parts of a single unit.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm lost on this. Does male Wii Fit Trainer cancel out the existence of the female default one?

The thread literally begins with someone complainingly about the lack of female alts with Hero then proceeds to diminish every attempt or step the game makes at female inclusion by any or every means.

It can be better for sure. But it's weird to see a game such as this be criticized for giving you options such as this. I want more stand alone female characters but still enjoy the options to swap between male and female.

Also, Kazooie is a badass so let's stop diminishing her and their wildly cartoony moveset. Thank you.

We shouldn't be at a point where a partner character is enough.

Banjo and Kazooie are a team but nobody would be bringing them up were there uniquely female characters in the game.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
She's an animal, literally attached to a male character, and has second billing to the dude.

You'll forgive me for not giving her as much weight as a fully playable female character.

They are a duo.

Idk what to tell you. I'm not saying she is equal to Bayonetta but they are a 50/50 team with their own distinct personality and traits.

See it how you want and I'll see it how I want, I guess. In their own games they were portrayed this way and in the second game you can play with them both separately. So if you want to diminish her role for the betterment of your argument feel free. All I know is without each other they aren't as strong and I don't see how that's a negative or untrue to the characters--or how this makes Kazooie less.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, I didnt know people expected this to be a mandatory feature for smash fighters for now on, I guess I'm just out of touch

Why wouldn't we? Until hero, Every character that has come since Smash 4 to which the choice applies has had this feature as well as retroactively adding it to other characters like the pokemon characters who got them.

Dragon Quest never has a female hero ... it sucks, but it's not unexpected either.

Multiple female DQ Heroes have been posted in this very thread, come on.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Yeah, she looks like Bulma with a one piece on!

Er, seriously, though, it's kind of a shame there's not at least a visible female character there. We could get surprised and an alt color has them there, but it's doubtful.

shauntu

Oct 27, 2017
I can't find the paper or the exact number but with those numbers I'm flashing back to the research showing that somewhere around 25-30% of a group being women winds up being seen as balanced gender representation.

EDIT: Had to skim some articles but this might be what I was thinking of: https://seejane.org/wp-content/uploads/gender-bias-without-borders-full-report.pdf

I think it would be great to have gaming as a whole be equally representative of people. 50-50% would be actually balanced representation. That said, Smash Bros as a game celebrates the history of gaming. From that viewpoint, it's done pretty well no?

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I talked about this in the previous page, and the problem with her is her design, as the Cero board is more strict towards designs that look like they are wearing underwear, for the A rating at least. That, and also because of her height differencing as she doesn't ine up perfectly with the male main character.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
We shouldn't be at a point where a partner character is enough.

Banjo and Kazooie are a team but nobody would be bringing them up were there uniquely female characters in the game.

I don't think that's true.

Smash was never going to be a 50/50 split between male and female characters, we all know this and are only in the position of wanting them to do better. The fighting games out of Japan that do this often do so with heavily sexualized female characters and to me that's not as great.

I can be in the position of wanting them to do better, enjoying the current female selection, enjoying the alt swaps, and also enjoying Banjo-Kazooie. I don't have to take this absolutist stance that some here subscribe to.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Smash was never going to be a 50/50 split between male and female characters, we all know this and are only in the position of wanting them to do better.

I can be in the position of wanting them to do better, enjoying the current female selection, enjoying the alt swaps, and also enjoying Banjo-Kazooie. I don't have to take this absolutist stance that some here subscribe to.
I don't think any of us expect Smash Ultimate to have a 50/50 split. But the fact that Smash Ultimate is in MvCI (a game marred by corporate meddling & poor decision making from top to bottom) territory when it comes to the percentage of female fighters on the roster (Smash Ultimate's 18.75% compared to MvCI's 16.667%) is legitimately concerning.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Smash was never going to be a 50/50 split between male and female characters, we all know this and are only in the position of wanting them to do better. The fighting games out of Japan that do this often do so with heavily sexualized female characters and to me that's not as great.

Consequently there are those in the position of hey, they're woefully underrepresented, and obvious points like a Dragon Quest heroine were missed because women get passed up all the time.

There's always room for improvement, and more to the point, why not have there be a 50/50 split? Why does gaming have to be so male centric, and when are we going to be more inclusive?