• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I still really don't get the Cap timeline part. Really seems to be like a nice ending they wanted to give him without caring about how it affected their established time travel philosophy.

Like, if he went back and lived a whole life up until the pt he was on that bench, then everything he brought back with him is also in that same timeline. How is that 'alternate'? Unless he, once he was finally old, decided to travel back to the alternate universe, in which case theres a lot more gaps that need to be filled in about how he can now hop dimensions, not just timelines. It's all really just hand waved away for the purpose of a cute ending.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer the theory that Cap is the exception and that he closed a loop. I know that kind of breaks the rules they set up but given what's shown in the movies this comes across as the much more thematically poignant angle.

Not that it really matters given that Chris Evans is pretty much done and I don't expect them to explore Cap's time travel life.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
I also found their input on the Black Widow death to be interesting. I'm wondering if the Black Widow movie isn't purely a prequel, like we're lead to believe. Perhaps it will be mostly prequel but with some connections to the future? Meeting Clint's family? Maybe a funeral gets included?

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of these were explained in the movie I guess some people really need stuff spelled out for them to understand it huh.

considering the movie goes out of its way to explain how time travel works (even has Scott go "so wait, Back to the Future was all bullshit?") I don't think movies needing to spell things out is the problem

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
They could have just said "Time travel didn't affect the past because we wanted the movie to be able to be shown in china which has banned time travel movies that alter the past" :p

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I still really don't get the Cap timeline part. Really seems to be like a nice ending they wanted to give him without caring about how it affected their established time travel philosophy.

Like, if he went back and lived a whole life up until the pt he was on that bench, then everything he brought back with him is also in that same timeline. How is that 'alternate'? Unless he, once he was finally old, decided to travel back to the alternate universe, in which case theres a lot more gaps that need to be filled in about how he can now hop dimensions, not just timelines. It's all really just hand waved away for the purpose of a cute ending.
What do you mean? His return to the MCU timeline is something that he was always able to do because that's what the original plan was. It's the exact same thing as what everyone did in the 2nd act of the movie.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Q: Why did you make Thor fat? Did Chris also become fat for the roll or it was done throug CG?

A: It was mostly CGed.
VPoSZ2Q.gif

I feel like that was an unintended burn.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
I'm tempted to put together a wall of shame for all the people in the Endgame OT who acted like I was crazy for stating the obvious (that it was not the current timeline where Steve was with Peggy).

But I won't.
Tell me about it, going back and forth with multiple people about how I was wrong only for them to be wrong lol

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
This one is odd.

Could they not just use the time stone to rewind time on Tony and not Thanos as well.
A lot of the logic they used doesn't really hold up. according to this movie, time is permanent and can't be undone. We've seen that very clearly not be the case with just the time stone alone.

There's tons of weird inconsistencies that are just better not to think about. Like them being worried about the stones ruining the timeline they took them from, as the absence of them will destroy the universe, but thanos destroyed the current timelines stones and they're all fine?

The time stuff is the worst tho. They just really wanted to make sure that past movies couldn't be undone, which I get, but then they didn't really stick to it nor were consistent with how it works.

And I'm pretty 100% sure that their time shenanigans will be how loki comes back eventually. You dont just have a character poof out like that without having something in mind for him. Unless those disney tv shows with loki/scarlett and vision are all the alternate timeline reality? I don't know. All Im saying is I wouldn't be surprised that the time shenanigans have repricussions. Actually if they don't I'd probably be more annoyed?

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That "oh some people are five years older now" just seems like a complete mess to deal with.

Guess they'll ignore it.

Oct 25, 2017
So cap waited till he was old and frail to time jump to the precise moment he had just left just to give Sam the shield?

See this is why you don't do time travel stories.

EightBitNate

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The "why was Vision brought back but Iron Man" question was one I hadn't thought of and their answer is really unsatisfying.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
Whenever Time Travel is debated I am reminded of the Austin Powers scene on it.

How it Should Have Ended is going to have a field day on this.

I'm Batman.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
I prefer the theory that Cap is the exception and that he closed a loop. I know that kind of breaks the rules they set up but given what's shown in the movies this comes across as the much more thematically poignant angle.

Not that it really matters given that Chris Evans is pretty much done and I don't expect them to explore Cap's time travel life.
I love the Russo Bros. But these are the same people that said the title of Avengers 4 wasn't said in Infinity War. So there's that.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Something I'd like answered:

Why didn't the Avengers (and Banner specifically) try to bring people killed before the snap like the Asgardians (incl Hemdall and Loki), Vision and heck, maybe even Quicksilver? Did they just forget about them? Hulk even said he tried to ring back Natasha (who wasn't snapped).

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
So cap waited till he was old and frail to time jump to the precise moment he had just left just to give Sam the shield?

See this is why you don't do time travel stories.
He wanted to live a full life with Peggy, so he likely went back to the MCU timeline some time after she died.

If he did it any earlier, he wouldn't be able to go back to her, since the characters can only travel to a point further back in their timeline.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Kind of a shame that they didn't (at least from what I noticed) make it clear in the actual movie that Cap had made one final jump back to the main timeline at the end of the movie.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017

You're free to prefer it, but the Russos have literally said that's not what happened.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
Something I'd like answered:

Why didn't the Avengers (and Banner specifically) try to bring people killed before the snap like the Asgardians (incl Hemdall and Loki), Vision and heck, maybe even Quicksilver? Did they just forget about them? Hulk even said he tried to ring back Natasha (who wasn't snapped).

i imagine it's something you have to get in your head quickly
"everyone ever dead" isn't really gonna do it.
"everyone who was taken away by thanos" is a lot clearer

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
I also found their input on the Black Widow death to be interesting. I'm wondering if the Black Widow movie isn't purely a prequel, like we're lead to believe. Perhaps it will be mostly prequel but with some connections to the future? Meeting Clint's family? Maybe a funeral gets included?

Also, their answer doesn't even make sense with Endgame. "Our" Black Widow is dead, but so are our Gamora. I wouldn't be surprised if they bring back Scarlett in her film in the slightest.

I'd advice for a spoiler warning in the title.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
lmaoooo

props to the interviewer for asking all the hard questions. Doesn't sound like he was prepared for those and had to lean on the "14 million timeline" instances or just come up with it on the fly

he properly answered that i think? Cap went to the alternate timeline to live his life out and decided to jump back to his original timeline to meet Sam and give him a shield

CosmicGP

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
This is great. Pretty much confirms the time travel theories I've heard and liked best.

I'm guessing Old Cap appearing at the bench was just for dramatic effect (or maybe he got Bucky to operate the quantum tunnel hours before Young Cap was supposed to make the jump, and then waited behind a tree, lol)

What's up with asking whether Hemsworth really put on that weight though?

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Thank goodness they confirmed Cap to be in a different time line. There's loads of different time lines caused in this movie by the carelessness of heroes.

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Did they explain why they hand waved Professor Hulk?

Markus and McFeely talk about that in their NY Times interview. They originally were going to have them do it in IW in Wakanda, but moved it to Endgame. Then they thought about doing a lab scene for it, but decided to just do it in the diner, with Scott's confusion being the entry way.

Also, it's just better this way. Movie's already 3 hours, and they needed to bring him in to advance things while Tony figures it out.

Desparadina

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like when we talk about time travel in the movie Hulk's quote has to be reiterated. He did say that if you travel to the past you don't change the future, the past is now your present. I'm glad they cleared up Cap being in an alternate reality and not the actual past which wouldn't make sense considering the logic presented in the film