• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which console had the strongest First-Party lineup during launch (period)

• PS5

Votes: 967 50.0%
  • Xbox Series X / S

Votes: 47 2.4%
  • Switch

Votes: 812 42.0%
  • PS4

Votes: 31 1.6%
  • Xbox One

Votes: 76 3.9%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Shairi

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Anyone who thinks Sony Santa Monica (a huge dev) is putting out god of war in 2021 (3 year turnaround), with one year in quarantine at home, they're absolutely insane. I have no earthly idea why they said 2021.

They said 2021 because they plan to release it in 2021. That's it.

Sony has been really cautious about giving out release windows in the last 2 years unless they are confident of hitting the target.

Obviously delays can happen, but the last delays were only a few month.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Is Spider-Man remaster locked behind the purchase of miles morales deluxe edition?

That's 70 dollars to access a remaster if true.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Nah I agree dude. I'm all about playing as much as I can, and I'm lucky to have gotten a PS5 preorder (though Amazon is trying to fuck with us). I just prefer the games Nintendo put out. Different strokes.
That's perfectly fine, but Sackboy and Astro could be fantastic platform games - until those are in our hands it's hard to say you prefer Nintendo's games whilst dismissing those games. Destruction AllStars could be as fun as Splatoon or whatever.

Nothing silly about my opinion, which seems to be shared by many people in the poll.
The poll isn't about whether it's close or not, it about which lineup is preferred. Almost as many think the Switch's first year lineup looks as good as the PS5's, but that doesn't mean that those voting Switch think there's some big difference.

Let's wait and see if those actually come out on time. People so sure of GoW when we haven't seen anything-- I love the first one but my hunch is that it's delayed. A pandemic just makes game development a little trickier. We don't even know if Destruction will be a good game yet and it's asking for $70 out the gate.
The thread's about a projected lineup of games and is what's being discussed. I don't think we need to wait to express how we feel about it. In any given year, Sony/MS/Nintendo will have a bunch of games scheduled and not all of them will knock it out of the park, but the fact Sony is in a position to have 10 first-party games lined up for the console's first 12 months, after releasing a bunch of other PS4 games is astounding. If God of War slips, that's still 9 games including a Gran Turismo, Horizon, Ratchet & Clank, Spider-Man and an exclusive Souls game (which did wonders for their lineup this gen).

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All else aside, Demons Souls is definitely the strongest looking exclusive title any console has had at launch in a very long time.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's pretty great. Demon's Souls being there on day one elevated it a lot. It's crazy that we have Ratchet, Horizon 2, and God of War: Ragnarok waiting in the wings within first year or so too.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
The thread's about a projected lineup of games and is what's being discussed. I don't think we need to wait to express how we feel about it. In any given year, Sony/MS/Nintendo will have a bunch of games scheduled and not all of them will knock it out of the park, but the fact Sony is in a position to have 10 first-party games lined up for the console's first 12 months, after releasing a bunch of other PS4 games is astounding. If God of War slips, that's still 9 games including a Gran Turismo, Horizon, Ratchet & Clank, Spider-Man and an exclusive Souls game (which did wonders for their lineup this gen).

Yeah, no, with games it's always wait and see.

List do nothing for me and you can't review year one of a console until it actually passes. History teaches us this.

While it's impressive they have this output, it's the same reason the Switch had the output it had by having a lot of stuff be cross gen between Wii U and Switch. Which interestingly enough people heavily criticized Nintendo for but now Sony is following suit. Even though this output wouldn't be what it was if not for it being cross platform.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
Switch had BotW at launch, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe a month and half later, Mario + Rabbids in the summer, and then Mario Odyssey in October of the same year. No one is coming close to that launch and first year quality.

I'll give you Zelda and Mario Odyssey, but MK8 is a WiiU game and Mario+Rabbids is barely ok imo. Thats only 2 AAA games. 2021 For Sony is looking absolutely beastly.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
That's perfectly fine, but Sackboy and Astro could be fantastic platform games - until those are in our hands it's hard to say you prefer Nintendo's games whilst dismissing those games. Destruction AllStars could be as fun as Splatoon or whatever.

The poll isn't about whether it's close or not, it about which lineup is preferred. Almost as many think the Switch's first year lineup looks as good as the PS5's, but that doesn't mean that those voting Switch think there's some big difference.

I can't mess with Sackboy until they fix those damn floaty physics. I'm excited for Astrobot because it's free! Platformers are my favorite genre.

I know that it wasn't about it being close, but its surprising that the numbers are what they are because of recency bias and the hype behind the PS5 right now.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
I believe that it's the best launch line-up ever. BOTW is the most hype single game on a launch for me, but I think Sony's is superior just because it has something for everyone.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
Anyone who thinks Sony Santa Monica (a huge dev) is putting out god of war in 2021 (3 year turnaround), with one year in quarantine at home, they're absolutely insane. I have no earthly idea why they said 2021.

It depends on when it launches. GOW was released in April/May of 2018. If they started working on it immediately after they finished it and they release it during the holidays in 2021, then it will be 3.5 years of dev time.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I'm surprised Demons Souls ended up being *the* PS5 launch exclusive that looks the best. Thought Morales would be the easy winner but god damn Souls looks incredible.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Lol people really hoping Horizon and GOW don't make 2021. Chances are good those games are ready with four years for Horizon and three and half for GOW.

GOW hints at the sequel and locations in the first game, they definitely already had a lot figured out regarding where they're taking the franchise.

Oct 31, 2017
Demon's Souls and Spiderman 🤤😍.

Yea, PS5 launch lineup is one of the best in recent memory. The first year is looking insane, even if one or two games get delayed it's still nuts.

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
All else aside, Demons Souls is definitely the strongest looking exclusive title any console has had at launch in a very long time.

dOgqVEN.gif

ezgif.com-crop-1e0e642fcc9d31034.gif

Yes, this on its own is enough for me

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I disagree, and feel like the launch window is fairly sparse. I will say what is there looks strong.

Also, since when are we including the entire year as the 'launch window'? I had always heard that referenced to a few months after the hardware is released (until say, March?).

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
A PS3 remake.
Expansion/DLC for a 2018 game.
A tech demo.
Two unknown quantities (although IMO Sackboy looks Knack-tier).

Yeah I dunno about your assertion.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
I don't know that we should just be assuming all of these games are going to be bangers. That said, if they are then yes the PS5's first year would be better than the Switch's. BOTW, Splatoon 2, and Odyssey make up one hell of a year-one. But the online was egregious even when it was free, and the lack of third-party support was awful. I don't think first-party vs first-party really tells the whole story.
Also, since when are we including the entire year as the 'launch window'? I had always heard that referenced to a few months after the hardware is released (until say, March?).
I agree with this, but to answer your question: since Nintendo decided that was a good way to get themselves out of a PR jam.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
First year? Way too early to say. Maybe this time next year we will be in a better position to take the call. Right now the launch lineup is certainly better than PS4, Xbox Series and the Switch.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Switch holds a special place because Zelda botw and Mario Kart were in the first year and they are just really solid games. But even that, if these titles make it on the planned schedule, the amount of variety in the first year is quite outstanding. I thought Sony would have a good first year, not amazing. So yeah, I think it'll be the best launch ever outside of maybe N64 because of what Mario meant to the industry maybe? That line-up really is fantastic though, I will be getting so much stuff from WWS its easy to dismiss how ready Sony was for PS5.

Demons Souls at launch day one is kinda a miracle to me, this had to take years and years of planning. But I guess it's little easier when you have the blueprint of the game in front of you.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No way. A remake and an expansion as your heavy hitter titles is meh.

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda funny seeing so many use the "it's a remake" as some slight against Demon's Souls. Guess what won GOTY on this website last year?

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
While it looks great so far, and I won't complain, I usually prefer a weaker launch mostly because launch games are usually lacking in some form. I prefer high profile devs aren't limited to such a stressful deadline and are able to release their games over the launch window or in the second year at least.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
PS5, to me, has the best overall lineup, but Switch had the most important game.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
Why are people dismissing demon souls as "just a remake"

Barely anyone even played the first one. I can't wait

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
Kinda funny seeing so many use the "it's a remake" as some slight against Demon's Souls. Guess what won GOTY on this website last year?

That doesn't mean the people who don't care about Demon Souls remake also voted for that GOTY.

I have zero intention of ever playing Demon Souls that was hashtag NotMyGOTY

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
The Xbox One launch lineup is one of the most underrated ones. Killer Instinct alone is an incredible game.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Way better than xbox one, xbox series s/x, ps4, ps3, x360

in fact yes better than most systems not Nintendo

switch had botw - cant be beaten really

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
To put in perpective and not going into fanboy war zone, i just say PS5 has a better launch and post launch lineup, than PS4 did in the first 2 years.

Last edited:

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I'll give you Zelda and Mario Odyssey, but MK8 is a WiiU game and Mario+Rabbids is barely ok imo. Thats only 2 AAA games. 2021 For Sony is looking absolutely beastly.
You say it is okay, but there's no denying Mario + Rabbits was well received allover the place.

Plus Demon Souls is a remake so you can't discount re-releases.

Also Switch also got Xenoblade 2, Splatoon 2, Arms, Kirby, and Fire Emblem Warriors out within first year as well . . . And there's no guarantee all currently announced 2021 PS5 titles will hit their target.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
BotW alone ensures a Switch purchase for me day one.

None of those 5 or so ensure a PS5 purchase. BotW is a powerful game.

Launch year however is still up in the air for PS5. If they can get God of War out.... would be amazing

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
You say it is okay, but there's no denying Mario + Rabbits was well received allover the place.

Plus Demon Souls is a remake so you can't discount re-releases.

Also Switch also got Xenoblade 2, Splatoon 2, Arms, Kirby, and Fire Emblem Warriors out within first year as well . . . And there's no guarantee all currently announced 2021 PS5 titles will hit their target.
Remakes and rereleases aren't the same thing to most people.