• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I have to commend the marketing team, they're actually doing a great job at misdirecting the audience. People's jaws are going to hit the floor when they take control of Abby. I do kind of wish I could be going into it blind to experience that, but at the same time, I know I'd just be super bummed out.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
What was heroic about Walter White's death? He died with literally everyone he ever knew and loved hating him. Hatched a scheme that most likely would never work, (the one where they pay his son), left a broken family behind, and literally when he was done he asked Jesse to do him one favor, presumably to avoid the pain of bleeding out, and Jesse told him to kill himself. What part of that scenario is heroic? The part where he took down the nazis he personally hired?
He saved Jessie.

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
What was heroic about Walter White's death? He died with literally everyone he ever knew and loved hating him. Hatched a scheme that most likely would never work, (the one where they pay his son), left a broken family behind, and literally when he was done he asked Jesse to do him one favor, presumably to avoid the pain of bleeding out, and Jesse told him to kill himself. What part of that scenario is heroic? The part where he took down the nazis he personally hired?

The show gave him a chance to make things right as much as he possibly can. And he died trying while doing good things (taking out the villains and saving Jessie).

Plum

May 31, 2018

How do you know that the plan to pay Walter Jr would never work?

The story literally shows you that it would 100% work as they have no reason to believe that Walter couldn't hire those assassins:

giphy.gif

bbfelina7.gif

tumblr_muq7vhBC9U1rmysjdo1_1280.png

If the story tells you that something will work, it will work! I even have the gifs to prove it :)

blakeseven

Apr 9, 2018
Maybe this wouldn't be such an issue if Naughty Dog was half as good at storytelling as they think they are. I know that's a little harsh, it they are quite full of themselves. Around the release of one of the Uncharted games there was an interview where they said something along the lines of anytime another studio tries to tell a story they fail (might have said it was embarrassing, or something to that effect), and that Naughty Dog is the only one in the business who can really tell a story.

They make good games, but the leaders are smug jerks. It goes hand in hand with the crunch and high turnover.

LMAO what? You got a source for this?

dimbismp

Apr 27, 2020
Walter White had destroyed every single relationship he had ever had by the end,but at least he saved Jesse from imprisonment and torture(which to be fair caused them himself).So,that counts as heroic in my book.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Yeah, the gameplay will definitely be a noticeable leap.

I just booted up TLoU 1 because I think I'm going to replay it (though not sure whether to do the entire thing or go from where I last left off just after the Sewer Section with the two brothers whose-names-I-can't remember) and...

...that game still looks like a last-gen game in a lot of ways. The rooms are sparsely populated, it's blindingly obvious that you're playing in an "outdoor corridor," and stuff like trees and foliage tend to look more like cardboard models than actual foliage. It definitely holds up but it 100% shows its age even at high resolutions.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Maybe this wouldn't be such an issue if Naughty Dog was half as good at storytelling as they think they are. I know that's a little harsh, it they are quite full of themselves. Around the release of one of the Uncharted games there was an interview where they said something along the lines of anytime another studio tries to tell a story they fail (might have said it was embarrassing, or something to that effect), and that Naughty Dog is the only one in the business who can really tell a story.

They make good games, but the leaders are smug jerks. It goes hand in hand with the crunch and high turnover.

Its the characters that make their games great and the general set pieces and solid mechanics. Not the story itself. And I'm not sure which dev said that but it certainly does sound smug and uncalled for.

But ultimately, I think the first game did a great job showing that Joel is a morally grey individual.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I have to commend the marketing team, they're actually doing a great job at misdirecting the audience. People's jaws are going to hit the floor when they take control of Abby. I do kind of wish I could be going into it blind to experience that, but at the same time, I know I'd just be super bummed out.

I mean it's not really difficult to misdirect if you actively lie and mislead through editing, false scenes, etc. Kojima was doing that shit 20 years ago to hide a portion of the game much larger than Abby's sections are going to be.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure Walter would have saved Jesse if it wasn't that group or someone else that had wronged him/was looking to edge into what was his territory. That's kind of been everything that colored every "good" thing that he does, that despite the result the main motivation is some form of revenge or come up over others.

And that's similar to Joel in some ways where many people attach that protagonist label to whitewash whatever it is that they do, when the character is clearly self serving with not the best of motivations. The one thing I will put Joel over Walter on is that Joel actually loved Ellie and it was about saving her, full-stop, even if his actions caused great suffering as he killed a good number of that Firefly cell along with potentially/likely prolonging the current state of the world.

joelsguitar

Apr 30, 2020
The trailers really have totally hidden Abby and Lev and everyone involved with Joel's death (except for the Paris trailer obvi, but they're so far removed from the scenario we know in that trailer that a lot of us thought Abby was Ellie's mom in a flashback). If these leaks hadn't happened, this whole thing would've been just as shocking of a blow to the player as it all is to Ellie.

Deleted member 47076

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
Wait, is it fact that you first play Abby AFTER Joel dies? Because playing her before would probably make it easier to digest.

pizzabutt

Apr 28, 2020
Wait, is it fact that you first play Abby AFTER Joel dies? Because playing her before would probably make it easier to digest.
I'm pretty sure it goes: play as ellie. abby kills ellie. playing as ellie still going out and getting revenge -> flashback to abby seeing dad die and her version of joel's death and playing as her until fighting ellie. The level list is broken up between half ellie half abby but who knows it might be out of order in the game?

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
I'm pretty sure it goes: play as ellie. abby kills ellie. playing as ellie still going out and getting revenge -> flashback to abby seeing dad die and her version of joel's death and playing as her until fighting ellie. The level list is broken up between half ellie half abby but who knows it might be out of order in the game?
Where is this Abby kills Ellie stuff coming from?

Plum

May 31, 2018
TBH I do kind of regret spoiling myself on the whole Abby thing. I was expecting for Joel to die and that's all I saw at first, but my curiosity got the better of me in the end :(

sasnak

Dec 4, 2018
You mean Abby kills Joel right? I don't think we have evidence that Abby kills Ellie.

Oct 27, 2017
wat soo is it confirmed that ellie dies too.. lol I thought she shoots abby in the face?

That's not a good comparison though. Walter White had a perfect heroic death. Joel died like a rat.
I'm sorry. Where did walter white get a heroic death? Because he got shot, while protecting Jesse who ended up enslaved because of Walt, I—WHAT. okay, so let me see if I understan: people would be fine Joel dying if he protected Ellie while dying. Okay. Fine. Question: how is saving Ellie while dying any different then him "saving" her (Joel point blanks says this in the opening minutes) from the fireflies dissecting her brain? Remember what Neil said in one of his interviews for the game? He said that they wanted "avoid repeating themselves" Joel dying to save Ellie is exactly this: repeating themselves, In fact? I think it might be even worse because when he saved Ellie from the fireflies it had weight because he was choosing her over the entire world, dying for her because he loves her is common sense, what do we learn from that? That Joel loves Ellie? well no shit, we already knew that...i just also realized something joel is dying for Ellie, he is killed because he decided to kill the doctor that would not allow him to take Ellie. Joel is dying because of that choice... it's a real brutal death, but it still Joel dying for Ellie. It's just done in a way that's not repeating themselves as Joel is not just dying for Ellie herself, but the choice he made.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020
I'm not pretty sure that it switches often between Abby and Ellie, because notice in the 1hr35m video, the first perspective of killing Joel is Abby, the second perspective is Ellie. It looks like, immediately after killing Joel, you jump to Abby. but in the leaked image list, there's what? Three chapters where you play as Ellie first? Nah. As for Abby being the villain, I think after the Ellie boss fight, it's going to set her up as the main antagonist, seeing as she just beat somebody to an inch of their life and almost killed a pregnant woman. There's definitely something after that fight, because Ellie leaves Dina after Dina begs her not to and Lev has hair in California. Another reddit leak says that this is where Ellie ambushes Abby and kills her, but spares Lev, so we'll see.

blakeseven

Apr 9, 2018
That's nice.

The interview was years ago so I can't find it, but there was online discussion and eye rolling about it at the time. It was definitely after Uncharted 2, maybe in the lead up to Uncharted 3 which made it even more obnoxious since that game was relatively weak).

Yeah I'm gonna go with tales from your ass on this one champ.

goodretina

Dec 30, 2018
I have no reason to make this up and said a few post ago that I am a fan of ND's work, but ok. I can't track down a random interview from 7-9 years ago, or posts from an old message board I haven't been to in years.

edit: closest I can find is a 2010 Game Informer interview with Amy Hennig, but the tone is different. I can't find it, but I have wouldn't wasted any time looking for it if I was making it up. Of course it is possible I am misremembering part of it, but there were discussions about how smug they were.

Last edited:

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The show gave him a chance to make things right as much as he possibly can. And he died trying while doing good things (taking out the villains and saving Jessie).
He didn't make anything right. His literal motivation was "someone's selling MY meth?" It was always about his pride. Saving Jessie="I'm doing for this my family"

Sleepwalker

Oct 29, 2017
Funny people bring Walter into the discussion since he is another deeply flawed character meant to provoke a conflicted reaction from the viewers, even more so than Joel since he basically becomes a villain halfway through the show when all of the excuses he makes to continue with the drug business fall apart and it becomes abundantly clear he's doing it all for his own ego. He also had a vocal support group that somehow ignored the fucked up aspects of his character and treated him like a hero while thrashing Skylar and even harassing the actress who played her. Somehow, making an antihero the protagonist, no matter how plainly his dark sides are shown, always breeds a vocal subset of a fanbase that idolizes him/her. And when the writers force the audience to reconcile with who these characters really are and what consequences their actions entail, all hell breaks loose.

Anyway it seems to me that Abby brutally killing Joel is a way to frame her as an antagonist since apparently we continue playing as Ellie after Joel gets offed and only much later are forced to see Abby's POV. It's a narrative device we ruined for ourselves with these leaks lol. I don't see the issue with Joel dying brutally, it's entirely on-brand with the ruthless world these games take place in. It's obviously meant to enrage you and despise Abby only to later find out that Joel killed her father which puts Abby's brutality into perspective. I really don't see how the writers did him wrong.

Last edited:

clickKunst

Dec 18, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
tlou1.jpg

Just saw footage of Dina's face being smashed into the ground repeatedly. I'm waiting to understand the appeal of being that needlessly gratuitous outside of a Mortal Kombat setting. If ND are trying to chase respect from their peers by being shocking, they could accomplish that faster without the bad taste and burned out cynicism.

Vito

Oct 25, 2017
Funny people bring Walter into the discussion since he is another deeply flawed character meant to provoke a conflicted reaction from the viewers, even more so than Joel since he basically becomes a villain halfway through the show when all of the excuses he makes to continue with the drug business fall apart and it becomes abundantly clear he's doing it all for his own ego. He also had a vocal support group that somehow ignored the fucked up aspects of his character and treated him like a hero while thrashing Skylar and even harassing the actress who played her. Somehow, making an antihero the protagonist, no matter how plainly his dark sides are shown, always breeds a vocal subset of a fanbase that idolizes him/her. And when the writers force the audience to reconcile with who these characters really are and what consequences their actions entail, all hell breaks loose.

Anyway it seems to me that Abby brutally killing Joel is a way to frame her as an antagonist since apparently we continue playing as Ellie after Joel gets offed and only much later are forced to see Abby's POV. It's a narrative device we ruined for ourselves with these leaks lol. I don't see the issue with Joel dying brutally, it's entirely on-brand with the ruthless world these games take place in. It's obviously meant to enrage you and despise Abby only to later find out that Joel killed her father which puts Abby's brutality into perspective. I mean, Joel even dies protecting Ellie which is a pretty noble and thematically consistent end to his character. I really don't see how the writers did him wrong.
How exactly did Joel died saving Ellie?

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
User banned (2 weeks): inflammatory point of comparison
tlou1.jpg

Just saw footage of Dina's face being smashed into the ground repeatedly. I'm waiting to understand the appeal of being that needlessly gratuitous outside of a Mortal Kombat setting. If ND are trying to chase respect from their peers by being shocking, they could accomplish that faster without the bad taste and burned out cynicism.
I watched a video of an IDF (Israel Defense Force) soldier bashing a child's head in with a rock then shooting his corpse. I also saw another video of an IDF soldier shooting a fluorescently-vested (made to indicate that they are not to be shot at) Canadian medic through a chain-link fence.

I think you need to open your eyes to the cruelty of the world we live in. You are sheltered if you think this kind of violence is something humans aren't capable of and aren't doing on a daily basis. Overdosing people on LSD to control their minds ala the Russian brainwashing project. Public decapitations and stoning. Chemical weapons used recently in Syria that burns your soft tissue inside and out. Its cruel, but humans have created these atrocities and so we have to face them. Shying away and hiding these potential actions is a disservice. It is more likely that by showing the violence and saying it is wrong that we can prevent future violence as opposed to censoring ourselves from our ancestors' and fellow humans' actions.

Last edited:

clickKunst

Dec 18, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I watched a video of an IDF (Israel Defense Force) soldiers bashing a child's head in with a rock then shooting his corpse and shooting a vested Canadian medic through a chain-link fence.

Did you watch this video for entertainment purposes? To kill time between sleeping and working? Big difference between being informed about real world violence and being entertained by gratuitous violence.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Did we watch the same episode?
BRUH. Do you think Tony Montana had a heroic death too?

Walter died under the pretense of 'cool' so of course people are thinking he died heroically, JFC.
Like, there's self inserting and projecting onto a character, and completely missing the point of the narrative, and then there's "Walter White had a heroic death." 🤦‍♂️

Surely the dude who played Walter White, aka, understood his character more than anything else, viewed his final scenes as heroi---
xTTXdRd.png

....Oh

Troy Baker is gonna have to come out and explain his character like the lead actor from "You"

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Oct 29, 2017
How exactly did Joel died saving Ellie?
Whoops, sorry, I might have misremembered, can't trace back the leaks since Sony took down everything and I don't have the willpower to search for it in the darker corners of the net lol. I'll take your word for it and delete that part of the post.

Even still, it doesn't really negate anything I've said, it was more like a footnote to my general point. Joel doesn't need a 'heroic' death, just because he was the protagonist doesn't make him immune to the extreme brutality of the world. If nothing the ruthlessness of it all makes it even more harrowing and effective at biasing us against Abby only to turn the table on us and show that her brutal execution was motivated by Joel killing her father which suddenly makes the whole act understandable in the context of the brutal setting.

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
Did you watch this video for entertainment purposes? To kill time between sleeping and working? Big difference between being informed about real world violence and being entertained by gratuitous violence.
No, but is the objective to be entertained by the violence or to see Eli and Joels journey through?Additionally, many games are designed to make you feel uncomfortable about your actions to further illustrate the atrocity of violence. Thisnis part of what the last of us does. Another game like this is Spec ops the Line which makes you feel horrible in certain parts. Its a great game with a potent story and message, but not "enjoyable" in the same sense as something like call of duty.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I watched a video of an IDF (Israel Defense Force) soldier bashing a child's head in with a rock then shooting his corpse. I also saw another video of an IDF soldier shooting a fluorescently-vested (made to indicate that they are not to be shot at) Canadian medic through a chain-link fence.

I think you need to open your eyes to the cruelty of the world we live in. You are sheltered if you think this kind of violence is something humans aren't capable of and aren't doing on a daily basis. Overdosing people on LSD to control their minds ala the Russian brainwashing project. Public decapitations and stoning. Chemical weapons used recently in Syria that burns your soft tissue inside and out. Its cruel, but humans have created these atrocities and so we have to face them. Shying away and hiding these potential actions is a disservice. It is more likely that by showing the violence and saying it is wrong that we can prevent future violence as opposed to censoring ourselves from our ancestors' and fellow humans' actions.

This is the weirdest take in this thread so far. Nobody's world view is going to change because the murder in their fantasy zombie game isn't 100% realistic when compared to real-life human atrocities because they're in no way similar.

Frankly I find it kind of immature that you'd think people need to see "the real nature of humanity," to understand said atrocities "better." You're basically asking people to traumatise themselves so they can "better understand" something they, for the most part, can do barely anything to actually change.

Like, there's self inserting and projecting onto a character, and completely missing the point of the narrative, and then there's "Walter White had a heroic death." 🤦‍♂️

Surely the dude who played Walter White, aka, understood his character more than anything else, viewed his final scenes as heroi---
xTTXdRd.png

....Oh

Troy Baker is gonna have to come out and explain his character like the lead actor from "You"

Authorial intent =/= gospel.

Also Walter White can have a heroic death without being redeemed. He still saves Jesse, kills the Nazis, and presumably gets his money to Walt Jr but he's completely irredeemable nonetheless and deserved to die in the end. If he had gotten a death similar to Mike's death then, sure, he would have deserved it in the context of the show but that wouldn't have provided nearly the same level of emotional payoff to the character's entire arc as the one we got.

Dyllan Price

Oct 25, 2017
if were going by levels Ellie has 12 scenes compared to 4-5 for abby. So the whole half and half thing is not true in the slightest.

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
This is the weirdest take in this thread so far. Nobody's world view is going to change because the murder in their fantasy zombie game isn't 100% realistic when compared to real-life human atrocities because they're in no way similar.

Frankly I find it kind of immature that you'd think people need to see "the real nature of humanity," to understand said atrocities "better." You're basically asking people to traumatise themselves so they can "better understand" something they, for the most part, can do barely anything to actually change.

Authorial intent =/= gospel.

Also Walter White can have a heroic death without being redeemed. He still saves Jesse, kills the Nazis, and presumably gets his money to Walt Jr but he's completely irredeemable nonetheless and deserved to die in the end. If he had gotten a death similar to Mike's death then, sure, he would have deserved it in the context of the show but that wouldn't have provided nearly the same level of emotional payoff to the character's entire arc as the one we got.
Wait so your problem is with them making it look realistic? Not with the contextualization of the violence within the video game itself? I was addressing how the game frames you committing violence as a player. If Eli does some horrible things, so what? Many people do horrible things. As long as the game can make it clear said violence is WRONG I see it as being more productive then destructive. This has been clearly indicated to be a theme of this game.

If your problem is the realism of the graphics all I can say is the more real it looks the more people will be shocked by said violence. It could be a double edged sword I guess for fear of "traumatization" (Its an M rated game? The first one was super gorey as well? Graphics get better?) but IMO it will make people take it more seriously and actually consider the violence by the end of the game. In DOOM the violence is so hilariously unrealistic it is clearly very goofy by the end of the game. Not a problem because the game is mainly concerned with making you feel like a badass. Is TLOU about making you feel cool, sure, but it also clearly wants players to feel uncomfortable about some of their actions (doctors in the last of us 1).

Last edited:

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I mean it's not really difficult to misdirect if you actively lie and mislead through editing, false scenes, etc. Kojima was doing that shit 20 years ago to hide a portion of the game much larger than Abby's sections are going to be.
I think there's definitely a discussion to be had over the differences in misdirection and flat out lying lol.

Misdirection implying a story or visual device that brings the audience to believe a set thing will happen, and then revealing that something else will happen. But what they do with Kojima and things like the editing in the trailers for the final MCU movies is more of...a lie? It's not that I'm shitting on them for it but I think misdirection as a story telling element is much more than just "Lie to the audience with cheating the editing and making up scenes."

I know that's irrelevant to this discussion but still it's something I think about when people give props for people creating"misdirects" in their stories when they're more like "We showed you a blue car but gave you a green one, you still got a car though." I guess it goes more into subversion in that regard? haha.

Vito

Oct 25, 2017
BRUH. Do you think Tony Montana had a heroic death too?

xTTXdRd.png

....Oh

What the hell are you even talking about.

Montana didn't die saving anyone. The only reason Walter got hit by a bullet is because he protected Jessie.

Lizzy

Oct 27, 2017

it's a fucking videogame

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So the Dina death is confirmed? Thought that was a leak that was "up in the air".

That's gonna make me wince harder than the Joel death.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
What the hell are you even talking about.

Montana didn't die saving anyone. The only reason Walter got hit by a bullet is because he protected Jessie.
When literally the actor himself doesn't consider his death to be heroic in anyway I'd take the L on that one. Saving the kid who you condemned to slavery and execution by nazis isn't heroism. That's the whole point. It's reinforcing that everything Walt does is justification for his own ego. He did something not out of some altruistic goal. It's for HIM. Hence him trying one last time to manipulate Jessie.
So the Dina death is confirmed? Thought that was a leak that was "up in the air".

That's gonna make me wince harder than the Joel death.
People are talking about the footage where she saves Ellie from Abs

Last edited:

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
it's a fucking videogame
Its media? Media can do things? Do you say its just a book, just a movie? Not saying it's gonna change world views but it may at least serve a purpose in making SOMEONE better understand how atrocious ANY violence against humans is. Is this really such a weird take? The game is clearly going to make you question the initial quest for revenge making you see it wasn't worth it due to the "costs" (Joel). Obviously most of you don't think this will be effective at all but I am willing to at least hear out the idea and see the game play out.

Status
Not open for further replies.