Status
Not open for further replies.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
We've really come full circle to too much violence. I still remember people getting mad at the excitement when Joel blew the dudes face off with a shotgun in the very first gameplay trailer for TLOU1. That must've been a year before the game came out? I thought being shocked by the depiction is fine.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What about this game makes it uncomfortable compared to something like Gears? I think everybody chainsaws in Gears and loves it but putting humans down in this just makes you go...Jesus.

Guess it's because it's more "grounded" even if Gears is technically more gory and graphic imo.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
What about this game makes it uncomfortable compared to something like Gears? I think everybody chainsaws in Gears and loves it but putting humans down in this just makes you go...Jesus.

Guess it's because it's more "grounded" even if Gears is technically more gory and graphic imo.

Violence in Gears has that certain comical and cartoon quality to it because how overdone it's and clearly unrealistic.

TLOU 2's violence aims for very authentic representation of impact and outcome of that violence. From hits to stabs to gunshot effects etc. With graphical detail possible today it starts to be in that uncomfort zone because how real it's.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

They specifically went out of their way to portray violence in a way that's way more plausible and human than Gears, specifically making it so that the characters are photorealistic and that the violence itself is less stylized than the first game. Frankly I've never seen characters looked more convincing injured and or dead as during the trailers in this game.
A1kzLsE.gif

4HbsBwa.gif

Last edited:

Lizzy

Oct 27, 2017
Its media? Media can do things? Do you say its just a book, just a movie? Not saying it's gonna change world views but it may at least serve a purpose in making SOMEONE better understand how atrocious ANY violence against humans is. Is this really such a weird take? The game is clearly going to make you question the initial quest for revenge making you see it wasn't worth it due to the "costs" (Joel). Obviously most of you don't think this will be effective at all but I am willing to at least hear out the idea and see the game play out.
You want to make a point about violence in a videogame whose system of fun derives from said violence?

Sleepwalker

Oct 29, 2017
I think there's definitely a discussion to be had over the differences in misdirection and flat out lying lol.

Misdirection implying a story or visual device that brings the audience to believe a set thing will happen, and then revealing that something else will happen. But what they do with Kojima and things like the editing in the trailers for the final MCU movies is more of...a lie? It's not that I'm shitting on them for it but I think misdirection as a story telling element is much more than just "Lie to the audience with cheating the editing and making up scenes."

I know that's irrelevant to this discussion but still it's something I think about when people give props for people creating"misdirects" in their stories when they're more like "We showed you a blue car but gave you a green one, you still got a car though." I guess it goes more into subversion in that regard? haha.
Agreed that it's something worth having a discussion over, sometimes it does really feel that creators create "misdirects" just for the sake of fooling the audience. My take on whether they should have revealed Abby as a playable character in the marketing however, is a firm no as that would actively harm the game's narrative. The thing I think most people forget when discussing this is how warped our perception of it all is due to spoilers and knowing crucial things about the plot ND deliberately held back from the general audience.

We shouldn't know that Abby is a playable character because that POV switch seems to directly tie into the game's theme of exploring different perspectives and how in this vile cycle of hate there aren't really any good guys or bad guys, in the classical sense at least. We see Abby bash Joel's skull in, we hate her, she's a monster. We are completely in sync with Ellie's feelings. Then the game does a 180 and we're suddenly in Abby's shoes. She gets fleshed out, we start to understand her motives and begin to see that she isn't really a ruthless villain Ellie understandably sees her as.

This switchup lost some of its impact the moment we prematurely found out about it. For this reason I think that holding back the reveal of Abby being playable was a good choice and I certainly don't think that it was done to "fool the gamers". It was done for the sake of preserving the story's impact and not some cheap "haha fooled you" moment. I kind of despise when writers create mysteries that don't amount to anything once the product is released, but this doesn't really feel like that at all.

Lizzy

Oct 27, 2017
TLOU violence is supposed to make us feel uncomfortable. It's not to be "edgy" or something like that.
See, I get that, but... there's combat in the game. It's how we have fun. I'm worried any message about "violence" in the game is going to be undermined by the fact that in order for us to have fun... we have to be violent.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Wait so your problem is with them making it look realistic? Not with the contextualization of the violence within the video game itself?

Yeah, that's what pretty much everyone's issue with the violence is. Games have told violent stories before (that's practically all they tell), and they've set themselves in brutal realistic worlds before, but no game has the level of violence TLoU:P2 has at the level of fidelity it has; it wants the violence to be as realistic-looking as possible, with Druckmann even going so far as to make his subordinates watch real-life ultra-violence as 'inspiration'. As such, it needs to justify it instead of merely contextualise it, and I don't personally think the game is going to be able to do that because, honestly, I don't think any AAA game can do that.

There are tons of examples of media that expresses horrific themes without needing to show you snuff film-inspired levels of violence to get their message across. You literally mentioned one in Spec Ops: The Line which manages to make its message without constantly bombarding you with the most realistic, least abstracted version of its atrocities. I'd also argue that it actually has more justification than TLoU:P2 to show that game's level violence because at the very least it's critiquing more than just the vague concept of "revenge."

What the hell are you even talking about.

Montana didn't die saving anyone. The only reason Walter got hit by a bullet is because he protected Jessie.

Apparently it's completely impossible to be a complicated character; you're either a complete villain whose every action is akin to kicking puppies for fun, or a literal Jesus Christ figure who can do no wrong. There's no middle ground, and every interpretation outside of those two extremes is "wrong." That's especially true, apparently, if some-one on the production team says so, because after all anything that the authors say is gospel and must not be treated as anything but fact.

That second paragraph is exactly it.

Doom Eternal is, in terms of the amount of violence, much gory than TLoU:P2 by a very considerable margin. Multiple times every minute during combat you'll be ripping and tearing demons, or shooting them until their huge guts are exposed, or chainsawing them in half, etc. However that violence, whilst gory, is not in any way realistic outside of the fact that the demons have "blood and guts." For instance if you shoot someone in real life their flesh isn't going to suddenly rip off and expose a red gooey mass underneath like it does when you shoot a Mancubus or Cyber Demon.

Meanwhile The Last of Us: Part 2 is wanting to show violence as it actually is and in as much detail as possible. From moment-to-moment gameplay to major cutscenes the game doesn't want to make its violence in any way 'abstracted', and it uses ultra-realism on a level we simply haven't seen before in gaming to do so. So people will end up feeling uncomfortable, and that's an entirely valid position to have. Doubly so when the actual development of the violence behind-the-scenes can potentially have quite severe negative effect on the developers themselves.

TLOU violence is supposed to make us feel uncomfortable. It's not to be "edgy" or something like that.

Those two things aren't mutually exclusive. Hatred (the game) was supposed to make people feel uncomfortable but it was also so edgy that it could be used as the blade for a lonely neckbeard's decorative Katana.

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
You want to make a point about violence in a videogame whose system of fun derives from said violence?
See my comment about Spec Ops the line. That game actively makes playing it unenjoyable due to the harshness of the narrative and gameplay. It still plays like a shooter and technically has its "fun game" in TPS combat, but it gets its message across just fine. Playing to the tropes of video games (endless violence against waves of enemies) may serve to better deliver messages against violence. In spec ops it felt so crappy doing shootouts when you knew the enemies didn't deserve it. You can see this in the recent TLOU2 interview where they talk about giving each AI a unique name that is called upon their death by other AI. They want to make you feel guilty for your actions. If the violence of the game gives you joy from playing it but then the game chastised you for it, it will make you feel uncomfortable and you may question yourself ala Spec Ops. I encourage you to check out that game, it may open your mind to how framing violence in games can really lead to interesting and productive narratives.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
They're gone out of their way to state that the intention is for it to not be fun in the traditional sense. It'd be like saying that any movie that portrays violence is meant to entertain us. Games more than any other medium is perfect for this sort of message not only because we directly interact with characters, but also because violence is at the forefront of the medium so much so that games that have core gameplay loops centered around other things instead of violence
-get less attention
-at the worst of times receive comments like "that's not a real game"

I think the real fun to be had is in those character focused moments where we watch people be people.

Last edited:

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
See, I get that, but... there's combat in the game. It's how we have fun. I'm worried any message about "violence" in the game is going to be undermined by the fact that in order for us to have fun... we have to be violent.
See my recent comment about Spec Ops. Games have done it before and TLOU2 is putting many things in place to pull it off.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

As they said there goal is not for you to have fun even if some people will .
The violence is there to make you uncomfortable , the same way how the want you do view the NPC as characters.
Which is why they gave them names and have people call out there name while dying etc etc .
Now if they going achieve there goal is another debate but that is what they going for .

Apr 27, 2020
The death animations kinda remind me of RDR2 where you shoot a random person in a vital point and they'll start bleeding out. Ex. shoot someone in their neck with a small powered gun and the NPC will try to stop the bleeding as much as they can with their hands while staggering away. They eventually fall and suffocate on their own blood. Doing it in first person mode is pretty uncomfortable

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
yes, exactly. it's not our world, so it's stupid to compare it in that way. it's a world shaped by non-stop violence and survival and crazy fucking cult people. trying to equivocate the two is useless.

and watching the previous trailers, in addition to this new one, plus the spoilers, gives me better insight into what they're going for on a artistic/creative level. the ideas and feelings of love/loyalty/violence/revenge/growth. real character work. which is a continuation of what they did with the first game.

and i think people such ownership over these characters, because of the great job they did in the first game characterizing these people. so i can understand the adverse reactions to everything, but i admire that they're going in this direction. now, if they successfully fulfill that creative vision is something we'll only find out once we play/watch and finish this story, but i admire the guts it takes to even attempt it. that's what this artform should be about, instead of playing it fucking safe. go for broke, even with a triple a beloved franchise.

that last shot of the newest trailer of ellie in pure emotional agony really says it all about this one. it speaks to the duality that exists inside of her that maybe people don't want to acknowledge or understand. she's a good person shaped by an ultra-violent world. we may not agree with her choices but i think if we can understand them through the context of where she's been and already done, it'll all make sense in the end.

and i think we'll feel the same about abby after finishing her part of the story. and i honestly think her character design has played a big part of the negativity, especially amongst the jerkier segments of our subculture. if she was shaped or looked more like dina/ellie, i doubt these ppl would have as much a problem.

i can't wait for this fucking game.

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
Yeah, that's what pretty much everyone's issue with the violence is. Games have told violent stories before (that's practically all they tell), and they've set themselves in brutal realistic worlds before, but no game has the level of violence TLoU:P2 has at the level of fidelity it has; it wants the violence to be as realistic-looking as possible, with Druckmann even going so far as to make his subordinates watch real-life ultra-violence as 'inspiration'. As such, it needs to justify it instead of merely contextualise it, and I don't personally think the game is going to be able to do that because, honestly, I don't think any AAA game can do that.

There are tons of examples of media that expresses horrific themes without needing to show you snuff film-inspired levels of violence to get their message across. You literally mentioned one in Spec Ops: The Line which manages to make its message without constantly bombarding you with the most realistic, least abstracted version of its atrocities. I'd also argue that it actually has more justification than TLoU:P2 to show that game's level violence because at the very least it's critiquing more than just the vague concept of "revenge."

Apparently it's completely impossible to be a complicated character; you're either a complete villain whose every action is akin to kicking puppies for fun, or a literal Jesus Christ figure who can do no wrong. There's no middle ground, and every interpretation outside of those two extremes is "wrong." That's especially true, apparently, if some-one on the production team says so, because after all anything that the authors say is gospel and must not be treated as anything but fact.

That second paragraph is exactly it.

Doom Eternal is, in terms of the amount of violence, much gory than TLoU:P2 by a very considerable margin. Multiple times every minute during combat you'll be ripping and tearing demons, or shooting them until their huge guts are exposed, or chainsawing them in half, etc. However that violence, whilst gory, is not in any way realistic outside of the fact that the demons have "blood and guts." For instance if you shoot someone in real life their flesh isn't going to suddenly rip off and expose a red gooey mass underneath like it does when you shoot a Mancubus or Cyber Demon.

Meanwhile The Last of Us: Part 2 is wanting to show violence as it actually is and in as much detail as possible. From moment-to-moment gameplay to major cutscenes the game doesn't want to make its violence in any way 'abstracted', and it uses ultra-realism on a level we simply haven't seen before in gaming to do so. So people will end up feeling uncomfortable, and that's an entirely valid position to have. Doubly so when the actual development of the violence behind-the-scenes can potentially have quite severe negative effect on the developers themselves.

Those two things aren't mutually exclusive. Hatred (the game) was supposed to make people feel uncomfortable but it was also so edgy that it could be used as the blade for a lonely neckbeard's decorative Katana.
Spec ops the line has you burn civilians with white phosphorus and then shows their burning skeletons and melted flesh. It shows a burnt out mother holding a charred and melted baby. Excuse me but how in any world is that subtle? It also has you murder a platoon of soldiers and then grab the walkie talkie from a dying soldier who is vomiting up blood and choking.

You seem to agree with my sentiment on Doom but seem to think naughty dog doesn't have the skill to pull off justifying violence. Given the steps they are taking (cost of revenge, names on all the AI) I would say otherwise, but we will see. As a matter of fact I'd say its almost better to wait for the full game instead of judging based on plot outlines and a few scenes.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The death animations kinda remind me of RDR2 where you shoot a random person in a vital point and they'll start bleeding out. Ex. shoot someone in their neck with a small powered gun and the NPC will try to stop the bleeding as much as they can with their hands while staggering away. They eventually fall and suffocate on their own blood. Doing it in first person mode is pretty uncomfortable

The euphoria engine in general does it but something about NDs engine really dials in on intimacy of kills. I know I'm gonna love it but I'm sure some of the executions are gonna be...interesting to experience. For sure.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Its media? Media can do things? Do you say its just a book, just a movie? Not saying it's gonna change world views but it may at least serve a purpose in making SOMEONE better understand how atrocious ANY violence against humans is. Is this really such a weird take? The game is clearly going to make you question the initial quest for revenge making you see it wasn't worth it due to the "costs" (Joel). Obviously most of you don't think this will be effective at all but I am willing to at least hear out the idea and see the game play out.

They specifically went out of their way to portray violence in a way that's way more plausible and human than Gears, specifically making it so that the characters are photorealistic and that the violence itself is less stylized than the first game. Frankly I've never seen characters looked more convincing injured and or dead as during the trailers in this game.
A1kzLsE.gif

4HbsBwa.gif

I think they said you don't have to kill enemies in this game right? Definitely needs to be the way it goes if they are going to 1. base the story on violent acts in the first one 2. make the violence as gruesome as possible 3. have you play through this to see the story unravel

it seems like the elements are working against itself unless you can bypass all the violence

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I think they said you don't have to kill enemies in this game right? Definitely needs to be the way it goes if they are going to 1. base the story on violent acts in the first one 2. make the violence as gruesome as possible 3. have you play through this to see the story unravel

it seems like the elements are working against itself unless you can bypass all the violence

Certain sections you will most likely have to kill but yeah they said you can bypass a lot of it .

Lizzy

Oct 27, 2017

Also, like, what if I have more fun being violent? I'm not a huge fan of sneaking around. Like, I get the comparison between books and movies, but the thing is, video games main form of entertainment is interaction. That's where the fun derives. It's kinda undermining the game's message if it's trying to say violence is bad but, "hey, you can make explosive arrows."

Plum

May 31, 2018

Yeah, this is the fundamental problem.

How can you have a game about the follies of violence when that same game is basing its reward systems and general game-play loop around said violence? You can add all the context you want in but, at the end of the day, you're still encouraged to kill people with various systems. Hell, the game is literally going to have an online multiplayer mode where the only thing you can do is go around mindlessly killing people.

Basically it's just a bit weird to me that the game's violence is supposed to not be rewarding in any way when the game is offering to 'make the violence more fun!' as a pre-order incentive.

They're gone out of their way to state that the intention is for it to not be fun in the traditional sense. It'd be like saying that any movie that portrays violence is meant to entertain us.

Intention and execution are two entirely separate things.

Spec ops the line has you burn civilians with white phosphorus and then shows their burning skeletons and melted flesh. It shows a burnt out mother holding a charred and melted baby. Excuse me but how in any world is that subtle? It also has you murder a platoon of soldiers and then grab the walkie talkie from a dying soldier who is vomiting up blood and choking.

You seem to agree with my sentiment on Doom but seem to think naughty dog doesn't have the skill to pull off justifying violence. Given the steps they are taking (cost of revenge, names on all the AI) I would say otherwise, but we will see. As a matter of fact I'd say its almost better to wait for the full game instead of judging based on plot outlines and a few scenes.

Yes, it has those two-or-so moments. However even they do not go to the sheer extremes in regular gameplay on top of scripted gameplay that TLoU:P2 is. The White Phosphorous scene is something that fundamentally changes both the characters and the plot as a whole and it doesn't even show you the "burning civilians" part itself. Meanwhile TLoU:P2 is showing stuff just as, if not more, extreme in its first gameplay demo of a seemingly 'regular' encounter. It's just not comparable.

That and, as I said, Spec Ops: The Line has more relevant themes than TLoU:P2 does. A critique of American Imperialism and Jingoism is definitely more compelling to me than "the cycle of violence"

It seems like you can 'ghost' certain encounters, but it's highly unlikely that you'll be able to do a pacifist run in normal gameplay. Both because of the game's design and because most people aren't going to be skilled enough, or have enough inclination, to not kill anyone on their first playthrough. I know I won't be because that would require constantly loading and reloading saves when I inevitably mess something up.

Lizzy

Oct 27, 2017
It seems like you can 'ghost' certain encounters, but it's highly unlikely that you'll be able to do a pacifist run in normal gameplay. Both because of the game's design and because most people aren't going to be skilled enough, or have enough inclination, to not kill anyone on their first playthrough. I know I won't be because that would require constantly loading and reloading saves when I inevitably mess something up.
This isn't meant as a sarcastic response/criticism of the game, but I can't wait to use the exploding arrows. Well, and the bow. The bow was my favorite part of the Last of Us because you could fire it without alerting any humans or infected. It allowed you to be very methodical. I can't wait for that again.

Sleepwalker

Oct 29, 2017

How can you have a game about the follies of violence when that same game is basing its reward systems and general game-play loop around said violence? You can add all the context you want in but, at the end of the day, you're still encouraged to kill people with various systems. Hell, the game is literally going to have an online multiplayer mode where the only thing you can do is go around mindlessly killing people.

Basically it's just a bit weird to me that the game's violence is supposed to not be rewarding in any way when the game is offering to 'make the violence more fun!' as a pre-order incentive.
Yes, you can have a game where violence is a central gameplay mechanic that also critiques violence, I mean you yourself mentioned Spec Ops which is a game that does exactly that. How the combat is designed to feel is far more important than its sole inclusion. The game is exploring the horrors of violence exactly by forcing you to engage with it and it seems that they made sure that the feel of it all isn't fun or rewarding in the slightest. It's supposed to be a harrowing experience and it doubles down on how harrowing it is by making you actually dread enemy encounters because of how sheer the brutality is. It's taking away the satisfaction these encounters would have in a lot of other games.

I don't mean to invalidate your points, I actually consider games eschewing traditional notions of fun in order to provide a certain experience an incredibly interesting topic and a one that is really important to discuss. I just think the sole inclusion of combat in a game that actively seeks to tear into how cruel violence really is doesn't invalidate the point, but can rather further it even more in a brutal, visceral way that will drive home how miserable it all is even more. Of course the game may also shit its bed in regards to all of this so it's important to talk about the ramifications of having such realistic violence. The inclusion of multiplayer though, that's pretty suss lol.

I'd also like to say that, as a gay person, I greatly appreciate your input in this thread in regards to LGBT representation as that is a topic that's often handwaved, even here and I think that it's certainly worth digging into (even though I have a fairly more positive outlook on the game so far than you do lol). A critical eye is always a welcome addition to a discussion, especially about such sensitive topics.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Also, like, what if I have more fun being violent? I'm not a huge fan of sneaking around. Like, I get the comparison between books and movies, but the thing is, video games main form of entertainment is interaction. That's where the fun derives. It's kinda undermining the game's message if it's trying to say violence is bad but, "hey, you can make explosive arrows."

I'm the opposite sort of. I don't like killing anything I don't have to, if the game coaxes me into a feeling that I just have to and there's no consequences for it, i let it go for the story

so this game would be like a middle finger to my sensibilities lol

Kinda sucks for people like me then. If violence is gonna have consequences let me completely opt out of it, let alone how gruesome it is in this game

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020

I actually do like sneaking around but I think this is fundamentally the problem with having a game that wants to criticize violence while having a gameplay loop that revolves around violence. If you allow for the gameplay loop but there's no reason not to do it other than "violence bad", it doesn't really work. It especially bothered me in Uncharted and the Tomb Raider reboots where in terms of the ludonarrative, being sneaky actually makes way more sense for the characters.

That said, I don't want to say it can't be done since I haven't played the game or anything but I do think it makes it stretch. I hope ND gives it a real unique shot and I'll be interested to see the discussion that comes from it.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Not gonna lie, it is very demoralizing seeing the hatred being spewed at Naughty Dog and Neil. So many years of constant top of the industry work, and they are not being given the grace to at least fail on the merits of the actual game...

It's fucked, really fucked

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie, it is very demoralizing seeing the hatred being spewed at Naughty Dog and Neil. So many years of constant top of the industry work, and they are not being given the grace to at least fail on the merits of the actual game...

Merit means nothing apparently. This game could fire on all cylinders and people will still doubt them. Until we actually play it, and feel what they want us to feel, see what they want us to see, I don't understand why people keep writing it off based off leaks.

Honeslty I find it embarrassing when literally none of us on this forum has even tried it to arrive to these conclusions.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017

I don't agree with the direction they took the story and no amount of context will change that sadly.

I'm sure the game will be amazing and I will still enjoy playing it but there will always be that issue at the back of my mind preventing me from fully enjoying it.

Last edited:

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

Leaks are fuckwd up because of that, remember everybody piling on Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle? People shat on that game from every possible angle, not only gamers but journos too, in the end the game turned out to be amazing.

Then I saw one of the devs crying at E3 and that was so fucked up, this guy is so passionate and happy to be working with THE gaming IP that he was crying of happiness, after everybody shat on the game for weeks.

It is definitely fucked up, the gaming space is a trash fire sometimes.

This isn't meant as a sarcastic response/criticism of the game, but I can't wait to use the exploding arrows. Well, and the bow. The bow was my favorite part of the Last of Us because you could fire it without alerting any humans or infected. It allowed you to be very methodical. I can't wait for that again.
Oh I loved the bow in part 1, but holy fuck, the aiming was bad or I just didn't know what I was doing😂

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amusing to watch Angry Joe tuck his tail behind is legs and admit the trailer was fucking great after talking a whole mess of idiotic shit in the last video.

It's like all these chucklefucks where waiting for something to drop to use as an excuse to go after Neil & naughty dog for muh sjw agenda... some are using the excuse of thier horrible crunch culture, but it is interesting to see that no where on thier youtube channel, that nothing on the crunch is there, but they do bring it up in between thier ramblings about muh sjw agenda.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I think you're conflating two different things here and that "follies of violence" is too broad and overarching. The game isn't trying to say all violence is bad or that as a gameplay mechanic it can't be rewarding in a cathartic way, infact, in the games world violence is essentially a necessity of sorts. Without violence, you basically couldn't survive.

That is hammered home constantly with all the things you come across, and all the heinous, evil folk you're facing along the way (many of whom, let's face it, deserve what they get, including the protagonists in a sense, and many who perhaps don't but that are dangerous collateral in reckless survival).

Rather the greater point here is that as much as violence is often necessary, and can also be fulfilling in a twisted way (eg as a form of revenge), violence also has extreme and profound consequences, as does hate, recklessness and the very pursuit of revenge or violent retribution.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Isn't it true that we Abby spares Ellie at the end of the game? I have a friend who's adamant she dies and I keep telling him we don't know what happens after that fight

Sep 14, 2018
Isn't it true that we Abby spares Ellie at the end of the game? I have a friend who's adamant she dies and I keep telling him we don't know what happens after that fight
We don't know if that's the end of the game or close to it, but no Ellie doesn't die there. Abby says "I better not see you again" or something like that, why threaten the dead girl.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
I'm not going to stand here and defend what we know of the story and this brave never seen before subversion, perfectly executed, I have not played the game. But there is something deeply upsetting to me personally, about the idea that it does not matter how much acclaim you gain, how much good work you have put out, the legacy you have built for yourself. You will not afforded so much as a cent of benefit of doubt. The game might still sell gangbusters, but you and your Co-workers and friends will have suffered harrassment, your work shreaded over out of context slices, your ability to exist on social media without people sending you death threats, gone, your hard work being twisted to be a talking point for biggots to further grind minorities under their heel (a minority YOU could be a part of).

It's... sad, and very unfair

TLOU1 is my favorite game of all time. My love for these fictional characters is not worth making a REAL human being feel like a worthless sack of shit, for even a minute.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
what bums me out so much about this is that all the spoilers I've seen, which are plenty, were all accidental by people posting gifs on Twitter in random hashtags. The internet seems very mean spirited about this, even if I personally don't like the theme they are going for, it only puts me off the game knowing that discussing it will only bring vitriol

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Also 1 other question that I don't think was answered, do know we what the Cult is or what they want?

Sep 14, 2018
what bums me out so much about this is that all the spoilers I've seen, which are plenty, were all accidental by people posting gifs on Twitter in random hashtags. The internet seems very mean spirited about this, even if I personally don't like the theme they are going for, it only puts me off the game knowing that discussing it will only bring vitriol
I think it's some kind of "bring them down to our level" kind of thing, like why is this one dev so highly regarded I didn't even like tlou, ND overrated, etc. I just don't think it's really going to matter once the game is out, it's either going to be good or not regardless of how the internet thought of the leaks (which is literally always negative).

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Complaining about the story being bad and giving props to the visuals isn't tucking tail.

It's not just that, he says in the video that even if he doesn't like what he's read of the spoilers, he's willing to give the game a go because playing it could change his mind.

Which is only sensible at the end of the day. 1.5 hrs (or less) of spoiler footage and summary plot points isn't nearly enough to judge the entirety of a games story, especially when the game is supposedly 30 hours long or whatever.

That 30 hours or whatever it'll end up being, is going to cover a metric tonne of nuance, dialogue, cutscenes, character moments, world building, gameplay, narrative context and so on...thar this leak simply doesn't.

Last edited:

pizzabutt

Apr 28, 2020
Also 1 other question that I don't think was answered, do know we what the Cult is or what they want?
One of the leaked videos shows one of their hideouts and a figurine of their messiah you can pick up. I think her name is Nora? I don't remember exactly but I'm sure it's the same Nora mentioned in the level list. She's the reason they all have the scars on their face. Besides that we know nothing except they like to gut anyone who isn't them. Edit: Actually there's a newspaper clipping that describes how they started: this woman had enough food and supplies to keep her whole neighborhood alive when the outbreak started and saved them all. Because they were prepared, they managed to survive the initial wave of the infection and continued to survive while keeping their neighborhood free of any infected. They called it a divine miracle and started the cult around her.

Last edited:
OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Alright so someone's posted a complete story summary of TLOU2 over at 4chan. Super detailed and all. Gonna compile it all and post it here.

Oct 25, 2017
It's like all these chucklefucks where waiting for something to drop to use as an excuse to go after Neil & naughty dog for muh sjw agenda... some are using the excuse of thier horrible crunch culture, but it is interesting to see that no where on thier youtube channel, that nothing on the crunch is there, but they do bring it up in between thier ramblings about muh sjw agenda.
Yep

I always knew it to be the case but 2020 has made it clear people are just... really dumb. Whether it's real life stuff like falling for Trumps bs and protesting to reopen during a pandemic or gaming stuff like the massive overreaction and rage with tlou2, there's no question a large portion of North Americans are morons. Like, the angry YouTube comments read like they're written by NPCs who all react and behave the same way. It's insane.

end rant lool

pizzabutt

Apr 28, 2020
True but this is super detailed. I've not seen the trailer myself yet but does it make mention of a Jadon character? Because this summary does.
No but might as well post the summary anyway. If it's wrong it's wrong and if it's true it's true. Gives something to analyze and talk about either way
Edit: Actually if you're talking about Jordan? He's the dude with the trucker hat.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.