Status
Not open for further replies.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
Let's get one thing straight: they are lying. Have lied. I know, I know. I don't like typing it either. I don't like saying people lie.

But that's what they're doing.

I guess technically it's a lie by omission but it happens all the time with trailers and pre-release talk since the purpose is to create hype not detail everything that happens. It's so common that there's a TV Tropes page about it.

JulianV

Apr 10, 2018
The execution of the first game was so well done that most people literally forgot about the missing scenes from the story trailer until it was explicitly pointed out by the devs. Or the part where they straight up lied and said you'dd only play as Joel.
I didn't know about the missing scenes, can you tell me which ones are?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
If you're going to be this pedantic then I don't see any reason to discuss this any further. You're arguing in bad faith and it shows.
How am I arguing in bad faith.

"I don't like that this game is being misleading and doesn't straightforwardly explain the plot to us"

doesn't work as an argument to criticize this game based on spoilers that none of us would've known about if it weren't for some hacker.

I didn't know about the missing scenes, can you tell me which ones are?
The main thing is the seemingly infected Joel shot here. It was made specifically for this trailer and juxtaposed against Ellie looking down and aiming a gun.
LinXnYR.gif

The explicit point was making sure that audiences think that Joel at some point gets infected. And that Ellie has to deal with that. You can even glimpse a model swap here as Ellie is not wearing her fall gear and the scene where she pushes Joel reads differently as a result. So yea, going beyond stuff like showing combat in areas of the game that don't have any combat, TLOU has set a precedent for
-model swaps in scenes mean to misdirect the audience
-literal creation of scenes that don't exist in the game juxtaposed against scenes that DO exist
-edits of existing scenes in the game to throw people off
-lying about who's playable

this doesn't mean that the marketing does not at all represent the themes of the game. As it's still very explicitly portrayed as Ellie on a downward spiral of revenge. In the same way that the first game's marketing never told us WHY Joel is on his journey, this game's marketing doesn't tell us why Ellie is on hers. And the only things we can glean, are purposeful hints.

"I know you wish things were different. I wish things were different. But they ain't."="It's got everything to do with that little girl."

Last edited:

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Trailer is great. Just like FF7 I do not care if the trailers are lying. It's a common thing for trailers to put fake scenes in and nothing in this trailer sells a different story. It's still Ellie getting revenge and the consequences it will bring. They haven't shown who she is getting revenge for.

Also I know it was pointed out but the Joel model is weird and I'm assuming its fake. His hair is definitely darker in the death scene.

Cringe ghost Joel appears to you throughout the game making dad jokes.
lmao

Last edited:

Plum

May 31, 2018
How am I arguing in bad faith.

"I don't like that this game is being misleading and doesn't straightforwardly explain the plot to us"

doesn't work as an argument to criticize this game based on spoilers that none of us would've known about if it weren't for some hackers

Let me put my point in bold to you:

The developers lying now, in 2020, about the story for The Last of Us: Part 2 is a different thing to them lying about the original game because there are a number of significant contextual factors separating the two. I listed these contextual factors in the initial post, and used the Star Wars comparison as another example of how two instalments in the same franchise can have wildly different expectations. As such, you cannot compare the two game's advertising styles directly to make the arguments you are making.

Plum

May 31, 2018
That's the point. And trying to confuse all of us who already saw the leaks

Everybody knows it's the point. I doubt anybody is thinking Naughty Dog is filled with pathological liars who lie without any rhyme or reason.

And there's no way this trailer would have been affected that significantly by the leaks. That's simply not how these things work.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
There aren't lies by omission. Scenes have been deliberately changed in the trailer.
That happens all the time too. Trailers for Avengers Infinity War and Endgame (also massive hyped releases) blatantly photoshopped various characters into scenes that they never appear in as misdirection or removed characters from scenes that they appear in to hide their existence from the audience. It's not unique to ND to misdirect in trailers. Trailers exist to generate hype and for a lot of folks that means being surprised. Hence misdirection via editing all the way through straight up photoshopping. I would never take them at face value.

JoelMiller

May 3, 2020
"I know you wish things were different. I wish things were different. But they ain't."

A message for all of us.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
That happens all the time too. Trailers for Infinity War and Endgame, blatantly photoshopped various characters into scenes that they never appear in as misdirection or removed characters from scenes that they appear in to hide their existence from the audience. It's not unique to ND to misdirect in trailers.
TFW when Infinity War literally has most of the favs die.
Trailer misdirection is to not give away major plot points and to avoid spoilers. It's not to combat leaks.
People really out here thinking this trailer was made this week lmao.

shodgson8

Shinra Employee
Aug 22, 2018
Completely understand there will be people who disagree but model swaps go beyond misdirection for me....creating something new that, in my view, is deliberately misleading always leaves a bad taste.

Outside of the quality of the leaked plot details...the fact is you are not getting what you might expect or even want with this game (and this is being deliberately done as evidenced by the model swaps etc).

pizzabutt

Apr 28, 2020
I think the person Ellie is talking to at the end of the trailer is the other girl that was there when they killed Joel? Maybe she's also the girl on the chalkboard in the aquarium too. It looks like Ellie does kill everybody who was in the joel hunter squad.

Apr 29, 2020
Im pretty sure that this image where Ellie is cover in blood is Ellie crying over Dina, just look at her clothes and nose (looks like broken). I think this is after Abbys fight

Makeno

Dec 4, 2018
I actually can't wait to see Ellie circle the drain.

I feel as if the game will make you question whether or not it was better to leave her with the Fireflies or have her become this hate fuelled monster. That gif Crossing Eden posted sums it up for me, that transition from the little girl Joel saved, the one with have in our memories to this.

The drama is going to be so thick omg

Oct 25, 2017
Completely understand there will be people who disagree but model swaps go beyond misdirection for me....creating something new that, in my view, is deliberately misleading always leaves a bad taste.

Outside of the quality of the leaked plot details...the fact is you are not getting what you might expect or even want with this game (and this is being deliberately done as evidenced by the model swaps etc).
That's the problem with how people today consume media (and not just videogames). People just want to go see a movie they already know everything about that will meet their expectations. Not subvert or exceed them.

Thankfully Naughty Dog isn't a status quo studio, and does things that are actually interesting and bold, even if it means some people won't like it.

Aka, making art.

I think the person Ellie is talking to at the end of the trailer is the other girl that was there when they killed Joel? Maybe she's also the girl on the chalkboard in the aquarium too. It looks like Ellie does kill everybody who was in the joel hunter squad.
I just have to say that I'll never forget one of my early comments in ye old lands where I commented about Ellie's new character design/line about killing every last one of them being akin to Arya Stark.... boy, was that closer then to truth more then one.

Apr 29, 2020
The only thing I know is this game is gonna be a masterpiece, why? Bc is going to be an emocional rollercoaster, is game was bad we wouldtn feel shit, but its not the case. I totally would prefer a happy ending (even we dont know what it is, who knows, maybe is a "happy one") but this is TLOU world and is this hard, so Im sure that im gonna cry a million times here, never a videogame has done this to me before, thats why is going to be a masterpiece

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now that i've read and read in details the spoilers especially the leaked level

Why are so many Youtubers spewing crap on the leaks ? I understand the frustration but the hate they are spewing are ridiculous and most of them are blabbering ellie dies in the end ????? Also their are 2 chapters post the abby vs ellie fight , ending can be anything

We really dont know even the size of the chapter ........

And WTF are with the youtube comments ? So much hatred ?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Why are so many Youtubers spewing crap on the leaks ?
Because they're reacting to a fake leak. Someone on 4chan and reddit attempted to summarize the game based on leaks and included a lot of fanfiction
including ending events that don't exist in any of the videos released.
On top of information that we know for a fact is fake.

Most notably--->a specific character who dies at some point in the game is stated to live in the summary, and TLOU never pulls the "we saw no body so they aren't dead" schtick. Really sucks that we have to wait several weeks to see the context, (inevitably some store somewhere will bypass the release date and we'll get streams that get ninja'd).

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Now that i've read and read in details the spoilers especially the leaked level

Why are so many Youtubers spewing crap on the leaks ? I understand the frustration but the hate they are spewing are ridiculous and most of them are blabbering ellie dies in the end ????? Also their are 2 chapters post the abby vs ellie fight , ending can be anything

We really dont know even the size of the chapter ........

And WTF are with the youtube comments ? So much hatred ?

Probably a mix of
1) Xbox fanboys
2) Anti-SJW / Alt-Right people
3) Emotional fanboys who either:
a) got spoiled​
b) ruined the game for themselves​
4) People who want to see Naughty Dog fail for "x" reason.

Thing they all have in common is they are man children lol.

Apr 27, 2020
Doesn't the MCU do the misdirection trick in nearly all their trailers? I mean they film extra scenes just to put them in the trailers/tv spots and not the movie, Endgame's promo was full of them. Star Wars as well

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Probably a mix of
1) Xbox fanboys
2) Anti-SJW / Alt-Right people
3) Emotional fanboys who either:
a) got spoiled​
b) ruined the game for themselves​
4) People who want to see Naughty Dog fail for "x" reason.

Thing they all have in common is they are man children lol.

5) Youtubers getting striked for discussing the leaks

Guess theyre man children as well?

Deleted member 64666

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 20, 2020
5) Youtubers getting striked for discussing the leaks

Guess theyre man children as well?

Well, it's more like protecting your intellectual property. It's just business.

They are entirely right in doing so, especially if people are "incorrect" in their claims.

Plus, to be fair, most YouTube videos I have seen, are straight up people complaining about the SJW agenda and/or "NEIL IS AN ___________". It's just people venting and capitalizing on the franchises while venting on what may ultimately be misconception. It's not as if they were adding any interesting layers to actually possibly having to play a "vilain" in a video game that features one of the most beloved video game characters in recent years.

Status
Not open for further replies.