• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which spoiler policy do you prefer going forward?

• Once an episode has aired, spoiler tags not necessary and book spoilers should be tagged

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Once an episode has aired, spoiler tags not necessary and strictly no book discussion in the thread

Votes: 68 42.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
My one thought about the jump, that I have anytime in SciFi someone does an unassisted jump, is "Well I hope you have good aim and they didn't run those maneuvering thrusters too long". Though at least nothing hit her
To be fair. The ships just dedocked from one another. So Newton's Law of Motion dictates they would have been running along the exact same vector until one of the two ships enacted a force to change that. Also the distance was just as large as the docking clamp. So as far as Niomi is concerned, she just needs to run straight from the center of the door. And she'll hit the door of the other ship.

Last edited:

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Hell yeah, the Naomi-jump is exactly how I pictured it when reading the book. What a fucking thrill ride. A bit bummed at no Amos in this one though.

Jan 29, 2018
My wife was very confused about why Cyn seemed to die right away while Naomi made it quite awhile longer before she had to use her little oxygen injector, but other than that the jump was great. Especially since I didn't expect it until next week.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
My wife was very confused about why Cyn seemed to die right away while Naomi made it quite awhile longer before she had to use her little oxygen injector, but other than that the jump was great. Especially since I didn't expect it until next week.
I don't think Cyn died... But if he did it would have been because he still had his lungs full of oxygen. If his lungs were full of oxygen, both his lungs and his heart would have exploded immediately from the force of the air being ripped out of his body.

Compared to Naomi who was prepared for it and exhaled before pushing the button

MarkN

Oct 13, 2018
That was a great episode! I don't read the books so I got legitimately nervous that the ship was going to take off on autopilot before she got there. Man this show just keeps getting better!

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Cyn died... But if he did it would have been because he still had his lungs full of oxygen. If his lungs were full of oxygen, both his lungs and his heart would have exploded immediately from the force of the air being ripped out of his body.

Compared to Naomi who was prepared for it and exhaled before pushing the button
Actually you see Naomi breathe in before opening the door.

She also seemed to have opened the door without any depressurisation, which should've meant that they both got ejected out of the room. But instead Cyn stood at the door and Naomi just walked out of it.

Sep 14, 2018
So is that the Protomolecule gone?
The last torpedo has a blue light and it immediately flickers out.

74194e72dc6ede3d1969bc64362d0bbbb89fa232.gif

E: Which I'm pretty sure represents the blue flame of the Epstein drive like ships have.

Last edited:

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
The show doesn't do many ship combat scenes, but when it does it's always great to see.

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Very, very good episode. Although I'm still waiting on a certain line from Naomi.

Pretty intresting that we get a mention of Cortazar and apperantly we see The Tempest's construction platform on Laconia in the opening title card. Cannot wait for season 7. ;)

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
I was actually a little confused how Naomi was able to get to the airlock the the end. I presumed she was locked back in her room after the previous scene. Did she break out somehow, or was the door conveniently still unlocked after she was dragged back there?

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
What is Naomi's plan, exactly? Didn't Marco say they had that ship on remote control? They have cameras and I would assume everything is password-protected. It's not like a stowaway human breathing precious oxygen and altering the mass and momentum wouldn't be obvious, even to an autopilot.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
What is Naomi's plan, exactly? Didn't Marco say they had that ship on remote control? They have cameras and I would assume everything is password-protected. It's not like a stowaway human breathing precious oxygen and altering the mass and momentum wouldn't be obvious, even to an autopilot.
In the book at least, the Chetzemoka was abandoned and striped and pretty much locked down and her plan was to get the communication system working and transmit a message for help.

Oct 25, 2017

She knows more about the inner workings of ships way better than anyone in Marco's crew.
You should spoiler that?

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

I imagine that like how a Computer can very easily be hacked when you have physical access. A ship can very easily be hacked when you are right there on the decks. Like how if you can't boot into your Windows PC because you forgot the password, but really need a file. You just boot up a version of Linux on a USB Key and grab the file through that.

Or put another way. Password protection on an unmanned ship would basically only be as strong as the length of time it took for someone to do a factory reset. And since its a civilian vessel instead of a millitary one, its probably even easier to just factory restart it because they probably assume that it'll change hands a couple dozen times. And since there is nobody there to guard to computer core she can just walk right in and flip the switch.

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
Some really good character drama throughout this episode and then that ending! BADASS. Itching for next week already!

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
i wonder how many people have a bad day in the future because of some stray PDC bullets

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine that like how a Computer can very easily be hacked when you have physical access. A ship can very easily be hacked when you are right there on the decks. Like how if you can't boot into your Windows PC because you forgot the password, but really need a file. You just boot up a version of Linux on a USB Key and grab the file through that.

Or put another way. Password protection on an unmanned ship would basically only be as strong as the length of time it took for someone to do a factory reset. And since its a civilian vessel instead of a millitary one, its probably even easier to just factory restart it because they probably assume that it'll change hands a couple dozen times. And since there is nobody there to guard to computer core she can just walk right in and flip the switch.
That sounds good. I am not committed to picking the show apart or anything. I do wonder a liiiitle bit about why a scuttled ship still has oxygen aboard when it's such a precious, rationed commodity BUT luckily there are much better things to worry about in life at the moment! And frankly I am grateful for how good this show is! Dominique Tipper is just fantastic. And I just love the tripartite politics of Earth vs Mars vs the Belt — such interesting, familiar echoes of the Cold War and colonialism to set this conflict in. And yet it's also a refreshing change from settings where there's an obvious free side set against an obvious oppressive one —there's reason to admire and sympathize with and be frustrated by all the sides. And Marco's critique has enough truth in it to make his goals just sympathetic and plausible enough, instead of being purely evil (despite being an utter monster, of course). I'm glad for the week-long break to think about it, too. A welcome distraction!

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017

This reminds me that we got another small BTS interview vid on the episode, where you can see Cas Anvar at the table, and like before, they really try hard to not show him, and he spoke no words or made a sound. I can only imagine what questions and discussions they had to cut because it included him.

Deleted member 28523

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
That sounds good. I am not committed to picking the show apart or anything. I do wonder a liiiitle bit about why a scuttled ship still has oxygen aboard when it's such a precious, rationed commodity BUT luckily there are much better things to worry about in life at the moment! And frankly I am grateful for how good this show is! Dominique Tipper is just fantastic. And I just love the tripartite politics of Earth vs Mars vs the Belt — such interesting, familiar echoes of the Cold War and colonialism to set this conflict in. And yet it's also a refreshing change from settings where there's an obvious free side set against an obvious oppressive one —there's reason to admire and sympathize with and be frustrated by all the sides. And Marco's critique has enough truth in it to make his goals just sympathetic and plausible enough, instead of being purely evil (despite being an utter monster, of course). I'm glad for the week-long break to think about it, too. A welcome distraction!

1. Marco didn't plan for the ship to be there and might not have enough storage for the extra air. And finding a container or another ship would take way too much time.

2. I think if the ship was vented that would show up on heat sensors and might signal something is up.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
2. I think if the ship was vented that would show up on heat sensors and might signal something is up.
This makes the most sense. The ships have thermal scanners and you need atmosphere to act as a thermal insulator and medium to transfer heat. Otherwise it'll drop down to space ambient and get picked up if scanned.

If you remember episode 2... That was how they found monica

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
Also, Marco is driving a super-spiffy martian warship, probably stocked to the gills with consumables.
What does he need a thousand m³ of extra air for?

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
How could Naomi possibly survive the space even for a second?

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I usually hate when shows have episode after episode ending on a cliffhanger but this show makes me want more.

More importantly it's not only stayed good but has gotten better season after season and with next being last and the books actually basically being done unlike another famous series got me to take the plunge and start reading these. Got the first book on my tablet and started it last night, am going to read more now.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
How could Naomi possibly survive the space even for a second?
It would take 15-30 seconds to die in the vacuum due to hypoxia. She breathed in just before and may have been doing breathing exercises beforehand to maximise the amount of oxygen she could intake, plus she had that drug she injected herself with. It's feasible that she could have survived that exposure without permanent damage and death.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
It would take 15-30 seconds to die in the vacuum due to hypoxia. She breathed in just before and may have been doing breathing exercises beforehand to maximise the amount of oxygen she could intake, plus she had that drug she injected herself with. It's feasible that she could have survived that exposure without permanent damage and death.

Very likely she has permanent damage by the looks of it.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I guarantee the writers did a bit of research to see if it was theoretically possible to survive what Naomi did.

Absolutely. It's why I've always loved the books.

You can also bet that Belter kids probably do shit like this on a dare. Whole generations born, live and die in space without ever setting foot on earth.

Oct 30, 2017
Making quick jumps through vacuum is doable and a long standing thing in sci-fi.

Hell, in an earlier season there's a shot of a belter opening his space suit helmet in vacuum to spit into space (or something else trivial like wiping the inside of his visor).

Edit: also an awesome episode. High G burns, Roci gunfight and a space walk. I love this.

Oh here we go:
youtu.be

Uncle Mateo removes his mask in space. (The Expanse)

A notable scene from Season 1, Episode 6.Mateo opens his visor to discard an electrified wire dangling in front of his face. The character expels all the air...

Oct 27, 2017
My assumption is that Naomi will be blind next episode so the challenge will be trying to navigate ship while trying to stop the sabotage.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Apparently if the exposure period is fairly short, the main concern is just running out of oxygen:

slate.com

Can you survive in space without a spacesuit?

In the new sci-fi film Sunshine, an astronaut named Mace must leave his spacecraft without a protective suit. He makes it through his exposure with...
Huh. My understanding was space temperature is absolute zero so you'd first freeze to death. If not your body would implode due to pressure.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure the last few minutes made much sense. How did Naomi escape her cell anyway.