• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree that it won't take decades, but there will be a huge economic fallout for months or even years.
well we dont know what the actual economic damage is. the markets are predicting pandemonium right now. the service industry will take a huge hit. lots of restaurants, musicians, event planners etc. will got bankrupt. travel industry probably as well.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
Hey, the future's look good! Only 3% today.
ImportantAromaticDuiker-size_restricted.gif

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
well we dont know what the actual economic damage is. the markets are predicting pandemonium right now. the service industry will take a huge hit. lots of restaurants, musicians, event planners etc. will got bankrupt. travel industry probably as well.

But they will find jobs and restart. some may not but I hope most do

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
This thread and constant monitoring of indices is ruining my mental health but I can't stop.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When a company's stock value hits $0, does that effectively put them out of business? If so, how? It's not like assets and other properties suddenly disappear.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When a company's stock value hits $0, does that effectively put them out of business? If so, how? It's not like assets and other properties suddenly disappear.

Companies face de-listings when share price drops below certain values, usually $1 on exchanges like the NASDAQ and NYSE ... they can basically keep doing reverse splits to jack up the share price.

The company is effectively out of business when they're out of money and their lenders come knocking on their door.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
After yesterday's rout all of my outstanding buy orders have went through. Not really seeing a rush to bring in more of my sidelined capital into the market. Just watching everyday, looking at 10Y charts and making mental notes of level where I can't "not buy" certain stocks. I was maybe 40% on the sideline just before the 2018 crash, and 80% on the sidelines last november. I'm about 50% back in now.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Japan's economy has basically been stagnant for over two decades. Abenomics tried to alleviate it somewhat but it hasn't really been successful.

To give you an idea, the Japanese stock market has not returned to previous highs prior to their housing market collapse.

edit: As well, the Japanese government owns a huge chunk of equity in Japanese companies.

Was reading an article about this the other day where Japan was given as an example of a country where "helicopter drops" (central bank printing money) might work well, since Quantitative Easing didn't seem to be stimulating the economy.
But if anything, isn't Japan's quality of life better than the US by many metrics? I don't necessarily think we should completely tie economic growth to how successful a society is.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Tesla will easily be going below 250 in the coming months. I don't usually say numbers with that much certainty, but....
Well, you scared me out of keeping TSLA long term, so I just dumped what I had for a pretty fast gain at $400.

And... it's already at $428 lol

Last edited:

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I think my overall plan is to stay fully out and keep close attention to antiviral and vaccine developments, and when it seems like we hit a stage where that shows some promise I'll enter back into the market spread out over a period of 6-10 months with equal parts each time. Since knock-on effects will follow economically from this, I can imagine us getting a slight hype boost from any news on a cure or a path back to societal normalcy, but then unemployment numbers and quarterly earnings are gonna keep coming. I'm solely investing in mutual funds FYI, even if I might start to dabble in some value stocks in the rubble after all this.

Any day to day movement right now is essentially pointless to pay attention to unless you're T0M, or out of morbid curiosity and enjoying seeing Trump trying to fend off this weakness.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well, you scared me out of keeping TSLA long term, so I just dumped what I had for a pretty fast gain at $400.
Don't usually give that type of advice, but yeah, 250 and below wasn't that long ago... I wouldn't be touching that long term in this situation. You made some decent quick money. If it drops a lot more it'd be a safe investment.

What's causing the spike now?
What's caused every other spike? People see a low, think everything's blown over or that we're near the bottom, buy and then find out that, no, that was a dead cat.

With Friday coming around I think we might see two positive days in a row.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Hoping Microsoft falls below 135 so I can buy lol.

Bought 20 shares at $137 yesterday, feel pretty good about that price since I'm planning on holding long term. Gonna buy more of that and some ETFs over the next couple months assuming things keep dropping. Luckily I have a good amount of cash to take advantage of this.
Tried reading about puts calls etc but that shit is way too advanced for me.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't usually give that type of advice, but yeah, 250 and below wasn't that long ago... I wouldn't be touching that long term in this situation. You made some decent quick money. If it drops a lot more it'd be a safe investment.

What's caused every other spike? People see a low, think everything's blown over or that we're near the bottom, buy and then find out that, no, that was a dead cat.

With Friday coming around I think we might see two positive days in a row.
You're right. Lol never mind

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Msft is a safe buy.
TWTR is a safe buy.
Geo is a safe buy.
DIS price Target 60.

Remember to hold cash and buy the survivers in the hospitality and travel markets.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looking to make some long term investments? Should I keep waiting or is now a good time to start buying?

I almost bought a bunch of Disney at~$90 and now it's hovering at $80.

Status
Not open for further replies.