• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cjelly

Oct 27, 2017
The responsibility is on the driver… if you are driving a large vehicle there a tons of roads/bridges you cannot use.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
how about an overpass?
This is downtown Durham next to Duke University. Changing grading any direction means removing buildings for a handful of foolish drivers.

The last change was because they literally made the trestle thinner using a different construction method.

Last edited:

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
how about an overpass?
The cost of imminent domaining the land in this part of Durham would probably not be feasible for anyone's budget to help idiots that can't be bothered to know the size of their vehicle and bypass accordingly. This isn't the only route to take and if you go check the youtube channel that posts this it's not a common occurrence most vehicles know to bypass the area.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
help idiots that can't be bothered to know the size of their vehicle and bypass accordingly
The best part is you don't even need to know the size of your vehicle, the sign only turns on when the vehicle is too tall. It even triggers an early red light so people are forced to stop so they'll see the sign. It should be idiot-proof but these people are just too stupid to help.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
So long as the only danger the low bridge poses is to idiot's wallets I think they have done more than enough already.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
When I drove from Seattle to San Diego in a huge moving truck, I was constantly worried about ending up at a low bridge like this.
Thankfully the drive was 99% on the freeway and I didn't have any issues.

A day or two before Christmas last year though, a friend of ours was visiting and she had just bought herself an RV and she managed to scrape off a bit of her roof driving too close to a building's overhang.
Unfortunately for her, it was pouring rain the whole time she was here (it barely ever rains in San Diego either, just the worst luck), and we had to drive a few hours to meet her to help tape up the roof.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
how about an overpass?
Doesn't seem infeasible.

The-Bridge-Ramp.png
They would have to radically reshape the roads and surrounding architecture to make an overpass.

Smoothcb

Oct 27, 2017
Driving through the Seattle arboretum the other day and saw a fedex truck opened like a sardine tin

Said bridge
Seattle_-_Arboretum_Bridge_-_Aug_2007_damage.jpg

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
There's a bridge right by my house that's 15 feet high and it STILL looks too low for a truck to pass under even though it is.

These idiots are basically trying to drive under a slightly higher basketball hoop.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It's always a bit more fun when a truck turns left into the bridge. They're coming from the road they're supposed to detour onto. lol

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
I originally went into this after watching the first few videos thinking, if you're having this many accidents, something is wrong with your bridge design.

But after all of the improvements and it's still happening… I'm giving up on the human race.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
At a certain point you'd think the bridge would be famous enough for people to recognise it before they crash into it.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
At a certain point you'd think the bridge would be famous enough for people to recognise it before they crash into it.
if i was in a 50 mile distance of that bridge at any time i would be fully aware of the current height of my vehicle and any potential vehicles i might use in the future

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
if i was in a 50 mile distance of that bridge at any time i would be fully aware of the current height of my vehicle and any potential vehicles i might use in the future

If I were to ever drive a truck I would immediately find out the exact location of this bridge just to be safe, even if I was fairly confident it was multiple states away.