• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
I'm hearing this a lot, but how likely is it enforceable? With driving between states completely unrestricted, what's stopping someone just visiting elsewhere and, so long as they keep their mouths shut, return home after happening to visit a doctor?

I don't know how enforceable they are, because these states allow anyone to bring suit even if they're not involved in the abortion, which arguably means they have no standing. Additionally they may not even be legal because the Federal government oversees interstate matters. The point is not really about whether they are legal though, it's literally to inflict as much punishment as possible for someone who tries to seek abortion services out of state. If fear of civil damages will prevent someone from going out of state, or prevent a doctor in a state from providing services legally to out of state people, that's enough justification.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
You're not gonna get anything better from West Virginia. It is a losing battle.

And? We've lost the battle already. May as well be honest and say WV has a Republican senator. Instead we let Joe manchin abuse his power for personal greed and gain. His only worth is he claims to be a democrat. Why. What use is he? Cut him lose.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
What a dumpster fire of a thread. Conservative judges do something bad, and it's Obama/Hillary's fault. Embarassing.

yes, the people who've been threatening to do this for decades did the thing and the reasonable adults in the room who actually held real power did nothing to prevent it.

Teusery

May 18, 2022
If I'm Republican reading this thread, im ecstatic. We stripe rights away from minorities and you all blame the black man and white woman? Excellent. Time for gay marriage next.

Like holy shit, can we get our heads in the game? It is 2022. This is happening now, regardless of why we're here. What's next?

Starshine

Oct 25, 2017
Of course they put this out on a Friday. This is a horrible decision and I hope that it motivates more people to VOTE this November and beyond.

November 2024 is looking scary already. Gonna need 85-90 million people to come out to rebuke this crap… :/

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I don't know how enforceable they are, because these states allow anyone to bring suit even if they're not involved in the abortion, which arguably means they have no standing. Additionally they may not even be legal because the Federal government oversees interstate matters. The point is not really about whether they are legal though, it's literally to inflict as much punishment as possible for someone who tries to seek abortion services out of state. If fear of civil damages will prevent someone from going out of state, or prevent a doctor in a state from providing services legally to out of state people, that's enough justification.

Good point, thank you for clarifying.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
The "fuck the Dems" mentality ITT could not more perfectly encapsulate why the right was able to succeed at this.

Conservative evangelicals and Republicans have been on the anti-abortion crusade for *50 years*. And across those five decades, did they ever say fuck the GOP? Did they blast both parties as the same? Did they seriously threaten to vote third party or form a new party or not vote at all? Did they say they would flee the country or burn the system down?

No. They spent 50 years mobilizing voters, electing as many anti-abortion Republicans as they could, kicking those who weren't sufficiently anti-abortion out of the party. They played an extremely long game and won it because they never took their eye off the ball: that the key to making policy is winning elections. No politician was too odious to ally with. Donald Trump should've been the most obvious candidate to run away from; instead they pledged their full support to him and had it pay off dividends. Meanwhile, so many progressive and other left-of-center voters basically spend every two years looking for an excuse not to vote.

Voting doesn't not work; it works extremely well! What doesn't work is this constant attitude of trying to take yourself out of the equation. And it's frustrating that so many on the left still can't learn this lesson when the right is teaching it to us all the time.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
I'm truly sorry for you guys and for all American women, this is totally fucked up and the idea that this is just the beginning is abhorrent

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As an outsider, this is shocking, never thought that developing nations legislature in regards to abortion would be better than United States.

Question, with this to be solved in a state level, does this mean that any women from a state that prohibits abortion can travel to an state that accepts abortion, have a safe procedure and then return home?

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
And? We've lost the battle already. May as well be honest and say WV has a Republican senator. Instead we let Joe manchin abuse his power for personal greed and gain. His only worth is he claims to be a democrat. Why. What use is he? Cut him lose.
Manchin has a 100% voting record on every single federal judge Biden has nominated

Under majority leader Mitch McConnell (which would happen if Manchin was a Republican), exactly 0 of those federal judges would even be voted on

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Who is they

Because there's been 4 Democratic presidents in 50 years and they never had the government bodies in line to codify.
Right. The reality is that the Supreme Court has made it clear they are eroding federal rights and pushing states rights civil war bullshit over again.

And Dems are going to have to push more to flip state legislatures etc over like what happened with GA. It has to happen in all these smaller states. Its the only way forward right now.

Oct 27, 2017
Just step one on the upcoming docket of setting this country back 150 years.

Lifetime appointments with no public votes to add or remove justices, and no strings attached to their tenure…yeah, that's a good idea.

Oct 31, 2017
A lot of people did. The Dems have all three branches. Nothing changes. I'll always check a box but it feels ceremonial at best. Republicans win even when they lose.

EDIT: I phrased this improperly and I apologize. My intent was not to discourage voting. I understand how the system works. I feel helpless and disheartened and didn't express myself clearly.

Lol the poster is clearly talking about 2010/2014/2016. Hell, if republicans hadn't won in 2014, a Democrat would have replaced Scalia and this conversation likely wouldn't be happening.

HommePomme

Oct 30, 2017
Any resources regarding where and when protests will be organized in major cities? Just sitting here fucking fuming and won't be able to focus on work today

From NewRepublic. There was absolutely a way for Obama to make an appointment.
Even if this theory that he could have made an inter-session recess appointment was correct, it would have expired on January 3, 2017, and Trump would still appoint Gorsuch. Nothing would change.

Recess appointments are temporary, not permanent.

As opposed to…?

Also, as far as the legislative process goes, the House is not where the holdup is.

SuperEpicMan

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly think the time for relying on voting has long passed, while it may slow the regression that is happening, it will not stop it.

Todays movement by the court is another action to gain ground which cannot go unchallenged. People need to immediately organise and send a strong and destructive message that this will not go unchecked.

If this is not resisted, then the country will just continually erode your rights.

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
A lot of people did. The Dems have all three branches. Nothing changes. I'll always check a box but it feels ceremonial at best. Republicans win even when they lose.

EDIT: I phrased this improperly and I apologize. My intent was not to discourage voting. I understand how the system works. I feel helpless and disheartened and didn't express myself clearly.
Important part is "always" In 2016 too many chose to not vote, or voted for someone who wasnt even on the ballot. You might as well have casted a vote for trump and your rights to be taken away if you voted for Bernie that year.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The "fuck the Dems" mentality ITT could not more perfectly encapsulate why the right was able to succeed at this.

Conservative evangelicals and Republicans have been on the anti-abortion crusade for *50 years*. And across those five decades, did they ever say fuck the GOP? Did they blast both parties as the same? Did they seriously threaten to vote third party or form a new party or not vote at all? Did they say they would flee the country or burn the system down?

No. They spent 50 years mobilizing voters, electing as many anti-abortion Republicans as they could, kicking those who weren't sufficiently anti-abortion out of the party. They played an extremely long game and won it because they never kept their eye off the ball: that the key to making policy is winning elections. Meanwhile, so many progressive and other left-of-center voters basically spend every two years looking for an excuse not to vote.

Voting doesn't not work; it works extremely well! What doesn't work is this constant attitude of trying to take yourself out of the equation. And it's frustrating that so many on the left still can't learn this lesson when the right is teaching it to us all the time.

Exactly. Republicans have been EXCEEDINGLY PATIENT in setting up the ideal circumstances to give themselves whatever they want despite having no actual majority.

Democrats fall apart into infighting the SECOND something doesn't go their way. We are so fucking bad at managing our coalition, and it's pathetic that folks still don't understand this and keep succumbing to the exact same temper tantrums over and over and over again.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018

No. They spent 50 years mobilizing voters, electing as many anti-abortion Republicans as they could, kicking those who weren't sufficiently anti-abortion out of the party. They played an extremely long game and won it because they never kept their eye off the ball: that the key to making policy is winning elections. Meanwhile, so many progressive and other left-of-center voters basically spend every two years looking for an excuse not to vote.

Nah. The Right was able to succeed at this because of Independents, not the far left and the folks saying "fuck the Dems." Moderates are the problem, always have been.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
AD2NLKqM5a8KQtMCWAKZxHNWcXE=.gif
Shut the fuck up

Nov 27, 2017
California
Fuck this country
I really wish Biden would go on tv and throw the names of who don't expand the court under the bus
Literally your own party fucks things up too

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
Just in the last 10 years. 20-30 million people with healthcare that previously didn't have it. Free healthcare for millions in blue states. Preexisting condition protections and mandates to cover contraception. A supreme court that overturned gay marriage bans.
Holy christ. Healthcare in this country is still an abomination after that corporatist law and Democratic leaders were not supporting gay marriage until the writing was on the wall and was almost federally legalized by the courts, not the Democrats. And now we've got nothing but excuses for why they couldn't codify abortion rights into law over 50 fucking years. They're a pathetic party. This is on them.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Which charity can I donate to in order to do something to help? I vote and plan to continue voting, but everything seems so fucking helpless. I am trying to raise my son to be a good person but there's too much awful shit in the US :(

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
If I'm Republican reading this thread, im ecstatic. We stripe rights away from minorities and you all blame the black man and white woman? Excellent. Time for gay marriage next.

Like holy shit, can we get our heads in the game? It is 2022. This is happening now, regardless of why we're here. What's next?
No no, see this is the perfect time to have a productive conversation about why the Dems are awful

can't think of any more important topic at the moment

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I genuinely don't even know what to say.

What has this country become.

What it always was.

To anyone who has ever lived with the comfort of believing that the United States was was not capable of this? Was better than this? Then truly, I envy you.

And that's the thing that always gags me about the "vote!" conversation. Proponents of voting sometimes get treated like we're naive. Like we believe in the "goodness" of this country. And, no. Many of us vote because we know how batshit awful this place is, and how much worse it could be.