• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crepuscular

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I just disabled stick jump and the game immediately feels MUCH better to control. It's like night and day.

Disabling stick jump is literally the first thing I do in every new Smash game. I don't get how it being enabled is the default at all. Doing up tilt/smash/air is like virtually impossible with it on?

Every time I'm playing on someone else's system and they haven't changed it I'm basically useless that whole match from disorientation.

GreySquirrel

Oct 27, 2017
Grabs are very important to start combos with some characters, other characters have throws as really strong kill moves. Ness really relies on his down throw to rack up early damage, and his back throw is a killer at around 100% from the edge of the stage.

Really just focus on learning all the moves of your favorite character first:

- Special attacks
- Smash attacks
- Tilt attacks
- Air attacks
- Throws
- Jabs

and which ones are kill moves/high damage/recovery moves. Then, try to use them in a match without button mashing; everything should be planned if you can manage it. Once you play with your character for a while, you can start learning fancy things like combos and how to guard the edge of the stage or go for an off-stage kill.
OK good to know, thanks! Not got a favourite character quite yet. Basically my plan was to play through the world of light and get a feel for them all then decide as I go. Still rocking Kirby mainly. I am making a point not to button mash though. The CPU is no joke on some of the fights for that to be viable.
In short: grabs are the way to deal with enemies who keep shielding attacks, unlike regular attacks grabs will ignore shields.
This I did not know. If I had a criticism its the lack of a tutorial of some sort in this game. Unless I missed it

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
Some of the spirit battles are truly brutal.
Dr Willy at the military base or the Pauline one at the city are no joke.

Jack Scofield

Oct 27, 2017
Disabling stick jump is literally the first thing I do in every new Smash game. I don't get how it being enabled is the default at all. Doing up tilt/smash/air is like virtually impossible with it on?

Every time I'm playing on someone else's system and they haven't changed it I'm basically useless that whole match from disorientation.

Man, I feel like my mind's been blown, haha. The only other Smash game I've ever played was Smash 64, and during the dozens of hours I poured into it as a kid, it never occurred to me to disable stick jump (if that was even possible in the original).

The game feels 1000x tighter with it disabled. I'm finally able to perform up+special attacks regularly.

Oct 27, 2017
I want to preface this by saying I've spent the last day pouring hours into this game, and my young son also loves it to death (in fact he is obsessed with it). We've unlocked about a third of the fighters and have enjoyed all of the modes.

However, like previous games in the series, I absolutely love everything about the game except for one thing—unfortunately, that one thing is the most important thing about the game: the controls. Frankly, I'm surprised that I don't see more people talking about how horrible it feels to move around in this game (maybe those conversations just get buried). I mean, I've played enough at this point that I can almost get over them, but at the same time I feel a strong sense of what could have been.

I find the controls so bad that I feel like I must be approaching the game incorrectly. The way I want to play, it just feels absolutely terrible. Tap a little bit and your character shoots halfway across the screen, try to move to an item and it is nearly impossible to be precise. This is particularly obvious in the bonus level in the regular Smash mode.

I've watched a lot of tutorials, but no one seems to mention that actually moving around in this game is an exercise in frustration. Clearly, the controls are designed with a certain method of playing in mind. Any tips on playing to this game's strengths? I'm just a little baffled that so few people seem to share this opinion, as to me—someone who has been playing Nintendo games for nearly thirty years—it is impossible to overlook.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I want to preface this by saying I've spent the last day pouring hours into this game, and my young son also loves it to death (in fact he is obsessed with it). We've unlocked about a third of the fighters and have enjoyed all of the modes.

However, like previous games in the series, I absolutely love everything about the game except for one thing—unfortunately, that one thing is the most important thing about the game: the controls. Frankly, I'm surprised that I don't see more people talking about how horrible it feels to move around in this game (maybe those conversations just get buried). I mean, I've played enough at this point that I can almost get over them, but at the same time I feel a strong sense of what could have been.

I find the controls so bad that I feel like I must be approaching the game incorrectly. The way I want to play, it just feels absolutely terrible. Tap a little bit and your character shoots halfway across the screen, try to move to an item and it is nearly impossible to be precise. This is particularly obvious in the bonus level in the regular Smash mode.

I've watched a lot of tutorials, but no one seems to mention that actually moving around in this game is an exercise in frustration. Clearly, the controls are designed with a certain method of playing in mind. Any tips on playing to this game's strengths? I'm just a little baffled that so few people seem to share this opinion, as to me—someone who has been playing Nintendo games for nearly thirty years—it is impossible to overlook.

Try going to the controller settings (right panel > Options > Controls) and changing the stick sensitivity to low. See if that helps you at all.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer - Powered by Friendship™
Oct 27, 2017
I just had the most magical challenger matchup yet:

Ereineon

Nov 8, 2017
its funny how world of light actually manages to put the spirits at the front even after the battle is over.
i dont simply remember... "damn, i need to power up if i want to defeat that big black king k rool...." my mind is thinking... "DAMN SNORLAX!"

ShortNasty

Dec 15, 2017
Just wanted to share that after multiple attempts, and being stuck on 96% 4 different times, my download has finally completed.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Initially I wasn't liking World of Light, mostly because I was finding only spirits I didn't care about. Same for characters, I was unlocking the ones I didn't use that much. But now I have my Juste Belmont and at least Dr Mario, and the mode has become quite addicting. The map is also pretty good!

Oh by the way: sealing people in the Triforce of Wisdom is the best feeling ever!

Skronk

Nov 22, 2017
I've barely reads this topic since the game came out, but every time I glanced at the latest post it was some sort of complaint. I was wondering if I was just getting unlucky.

I'm loving the game. Having an absolute blast. ❤️

That's exactly how I felt. I'm glad I just played the game first before seeing all this negativity and nit picking.
Also I just unlocked Incineroar and Krool and now I'm having even more fun!

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
So, how are the points calculated that you need to unlock elite online mode? Are those achieved only by playing online and winning a lot or does the single player mode also has something to do with out? Because it feels like you get ranked there too?

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I've barely reads this topic since the game came out, but every time I glanced at the latest post it was some sort of complaint. I was wondering if I was just getting unlucky.

I'm loving the game. Having an absolute blast. ❤️

Same. I stopped checking here because everytime I reall looked it was just the same complaints over and over again.

Had a blast with it so far. Especially launch night where a bunch of my friends were over to play it. Really loving WOL too. It's event mode (my favorite mode) on steroids.

Deleted member 2913

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every time for the past hour or two im spectating an arena match a communication error happens and kicks me from spectating even though i'm not lagging at all nor is anyone else when we actually play. -.-

Really annoying.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone else feel like they're randomly losing their double jump? It's happening in basically every challenger match for me. I get knocked off, think "no worries, I'll just double jump up b... wait why can't I jump? OH NOT AGAIN FUCK YOU JUST LET ME UNLOCK ONE CHARACTER WITHOUT PISSING ME OFF"

For the record I'm aware that the reason is probably that I suck at this game, but still. Sometimes it just feels like I can't do it and I don't know why. Can't record clips either to work it out. Is there a replay option?

Last edited:

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018

I don't get this at all. Feels like the best controlling smash game to me.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Just started playing online today (well, technically yesterday since it's 3 in the morning here). Don't know if anyone has pointed this out yet, but I didn't get a single match outside of my preferences when I did background matchmaking. Got stuck with 4-for-alls only when I did quickplay.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone else feel like they're randomly losing their double jump? It's happening in basically every challenger match for me. I get knocked off, think "no worries, I'll just double jump up b... wait why can't I jump? OH NOT AGAIN FUCK YOU JUST LET ME UNLOCK ONE CHARACTER WITHOUT PISSING ME OFF"
I don't know about that but there are definitely some fucking bullshit fights in WoL.

supra

Oct 30, 2017
definitely had a couple of embarrassing falls this evening ... maybe?

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Woo, beat World of Light. ^_^
I do have a question for those of you who have completed it:
After opening up the paths for Galeem/Dharkon, I took the center one. What happens if you walk up to Galeem/Dharkon individually?

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
If you want your character to cover limited distance you have to walk, not sprint. Tilt the stick, don't tap it. It's rarely applicable in an actual fight, though.

You shouldn't be trying for precision when picking up an item. Just press A as you pass by it. You'll snag it fine.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017

For the record I'm aware that the reason is probably that I suck at this game, but still. Sometimes it just feels like I can't do it and I don't know why. Can't record clips either to work it out. Is there a replay option?

Do you have stick jump turned on (where you jump if you press up on the analog stick)? One of the many reasons to turn that off is because you can easily accidentally trigger it while doing another move, basically canceling the jump but still using it up.

If you have stick jump turned off, I don't know what to tell you.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
i finally managed to beat it on 9.9 with Ike, but I appreciate the tip all the same. The only reason I didn't try DK (I went through most of the cast in the process) was because I've never been very good with him in past games, but knowing you had Diddy with you to help would have been a huge help.
Yeah, im also crap with him, but he seems more agile now and the cpu in classic mode also seems to like taking a DK super punch to the face.
Glad you could beat it with ike.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they had more objectives than just "kill enemies" and threw in minigames like homerun contest it would help break up the RNG monotony.

Its gonna overstay its welcome long after you fight a single boss. I only just now beat giga bowser in WoL.

It's not even that. I think the "map" and way to navigate is such a goddamn chore.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Spirit board is pretty damn addicting. Even if I'm a little meh on the gameplay aspects of spirits, collecting them is still cool.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Okay so this may be a really dumb question - I'm pretty much completely new to the series (played abit on WiiU and wasn't a fan, but loving this).

I just discovered the smash attack was a thing on the right stick. But how do you do these attacks on a single joycon? I'm just setting up custom controls now and don't see the option.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
Holy shit, that 9-Volt battle in the Base

Edit: Finally beat it on like the 15th try, once you defeat the Sheriff AT it's a lot more manageable.

Last edited:

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Okay so this may be a really dumb question - I'm pretty much completely new to the series (played abit on WiiU and wasn't a fan, but loving this).

I just discovered the smash attack was a thing on the right stick. But how do you do these attacks on a single joycon? I'm just setting up custom controls now and don't see the option.
To do smash attacks with one stick quickly flick the stick and press A. You can hold A to charge them.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
Finally spending some proper time in WoL. Jus got to my first dungeon in the forest area.

I'm leaving some of the hard battles for now until I have better spirits. The Boss and Viridi are kicking my ass.

Edit: Okay any tips for Vicinti? Fucking Incineroar gets a final smash immediately and destroys me.

Nvm lmao. He tried to edge guard me and Final Smashed off the screen.

Last edited:

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
I concluded that the best way to beat some of the harder spirit battles is just to power through with sheer force with characters like Ganondorf. The key is to end fights as fast as possible, so it's great to be able to catapult your opponents from the stage early on.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
This I did not know. If I had a criticism its the lack of a tutorial of some sort in this game. Unless I missed it

Just to add another thing about grabs, if you hold shield and press A, you also do a grab. This means that if someone is attacking you, you can block the attack with your shield and quickly grab them afterwards.

Synless

Oct 30, 2017
So what's the fastest way to get coins to buy store items? I am in desperate need of a faster method.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I can't tell if it's just my GameCube controller that I've had since 2004 that's being screwy here, but down tilting on ledges and short hopping seem really sensitive on this game. Like, I barely need to tilt it down to get a down tilt on a ledge, otherwise I drop through it, and short hopping seems as sensitive as a KoF hop.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Question: how do I level up spirits and get skill points for WoL if I run out of spirits to fight on the map?

Oct 25, 2017
Cleared Galeem tonight at about 25 hours played. I had been hoarding all of my Spirit upgrade food up until that point, but dumped a lot of it into my only four-star primary (M. Bison) to get him up to 95 or so and give myself a nice leg up.

So you would think that after playing enough Nintendo games over one's life to fully enjoy the experience that World of Light offers, there just isn't room anymore for a game to truly catch you off guard with a "Surprise, you're halfway!" It blows you away the first time you see it, in LttP (or OoT if you started there instead, or indeed TWW/TP with the way they mimicked its structure), but after that, this sort of moment is pleasant without being anything extraordinary, like the second or third phase of a major boss. We all know to expect it from now, particularly from someone like Masahiro Sakurai, who pulled it off in style in Kid Icarus: Uprising (which apparently surprised a lot of people; I'm not sure how).

I had the sense that something was coming after Galeem, given that I had only unlocked 43 characters on the Adventure roster by that point (counting Pokémon Trainer as one) and had tons of unfilled slots left on the skill tree, and the Spirit summoning page listed dozens of component characters I hadn't encountered yet. (There were very few remaining fights on the map I hadn't cleared.) Initially, after breaking Galeem's shield, I expected to enter a mini-zone instead of hitting the boss right away, perhaps blasting through the rest of the unlocks like in the maze at the end of Subspace Emissary. It did stick out to me at that point that I had only fought Master Hand and not Crazy Hand (and I checked both entrances to Galeem to be sure).

But I didn't expect, well, that. Not on that scale. Up to Galeem, World of Light already felt like such a complete experience, overflowing with worlds within worlds and games within the game. I really would have been content for it to culminate there. This was an exceptionally rare case of a new, modern game that truly caught me unprepared for how far I was from the end.

I'm a third of the way through the Dark World now (or so it seems); on Normal, even the content on the main path is starting to put up a heck of a fight against my best setups. Going in I was pretty confident I could take down Adventure Mode in a single, solid weekend marathon, but it may be a few days yet before I'm through it, and even in the Light World there are a few four-star fights (and a tiny handful of three-stars) I haven't been able to figure out.

So far the hardest WoL battle for me was the M. Bison fight.

Ganondorf
Stamina battle - He has 180 HP
Omega stage
Reflect projectiles
He has a permanent attack boost
You have a permanent attack nerf

What a goddamn nightmare that was. I usually leave the cheap WoL battles alone until I come back with stronger spirits, but the problem with this one is that it's "fair", just insanely difficult, so I got tricked into thinking I ought to be able to beat it if I just try hard enough. And I did, but I swear it took like 40 attempts.

I had a pretty straightforward time with the entirety of the SF2 World Tour map, Bison included, using Shulk with a spirit for boosting jumping power (to get around the jump constraint on every SF stage). In general I've been using Shulk and Simon for all kinds of mid-range zoning against melee opponents, though in this case Simon was out of the question because you can't use projectiles. With Shulk I could typically stay out of range of everything while setting the Monado to Buster to get some high-damage pokes in as needed, since all of these fights were stamina-based.

Last edited:

ninjabot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Haven't even touched WoL yet. Just unlocking chars. Hate not being in the convo about bosses and stuff :(

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
Man, I only have to unlock Palutena and I will be done unlocking every single character, but she is so goddamm strong.

I can barely even get close before she sends me flying.

diverit

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone rematched a spirit in the Spirit Board after winning the match but not acquiring it during the mini game that comes after?

I have only had the ones I've lost to reappear.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Haven't even touched WoL yet. Just unlocking chars. Hate not being in the convo about bosses and stuff :(

Your character unlocks outside of the WoL aren't available in WoL itself until you unlock them again in WoL, so you are essentially doubling the amount of work you need to do, as any character rescued in WoL is available in every other mode in the game.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
It's pretty wild to me how divisive World of Light is. Having played over 10 hours of it, I have to say it's by far the greatest single player in a Smash game of all time. I'm flying through battles at this point with multiple legendary spirits. A couple legendary of each color, including neutrals. I have immunity spirits for every nasty stage effect, and amazing powered up abilities through the skill web. The RPG mechanics and customization really make you feel powerful and it's just like any good rpg where you can crush low level enemies with ease while the over 10,000 power spirits still offer a great challenge.

It's such a wonderful thing seeing the creativity behind each and every encounter. The music , the connections, it's such a treat for nostalgia and testing your game history knowledge. I get such a kick out of every single one it's astounding. The map is beautiful, easy to navigate with quick warp pipes, and simply offers cool moments with even more references. It's all such an addicting treat. Backing out to the spirit board to take on specific challenges is exciting too. Finding the Legendary ones and utilizing the right equipment and character for the job grants a fantastic feeling of accomplishment. They can be brutally hard but I'm finding those challenges to be just the right level.

When I'm not playing with friends I'm excited to go back to single player which is insane for me to say that considering it's a Smash game. I typically never play alone with this franchise and initially I was disappointed to find out there wasn't co-op in WoL. But it's all good at this point. I don't want this mode to ever end and I'm so glad it's a lengthy experience. The devs found such a great way to craft an interesting single player experience while also celebrating everything that Smash entails. I hope future entries of the series continues this idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.