Status
Not open for further replies.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Melee's Adventure mode remains the only good Adventure mode. Short enough to beat in a quick play session. Varied enough to put an interesting spin on the standard Smash gameplay.

Subspace Emissary was 1 to 2 hours of interesting content spread over a 10-hour bootleg Kirby game slog.

I'm about 3 hours into World of Light and am already sick of it. The AI battles are just too repetitive and mindless.

I had more fun with Smash 4's Special Orders than this.

PunchyMalone

May 1, 2018
That stupid gun thing to get a spirit is the worst. Apparently winning isn't enough, I have to do some dumb timing mini game on top of it. And when I want to spend money to try again, it defaults to "no" when I'm trying to click through.

I just lost an ace when I was trying to spend money to try again. Man this game can be annoying.

Neoriceisgood

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
That stupid gun thing to get a spirit is the worst. Apparently winning isn't enough, I have to do some dumb timing mini game on top of it. And when I want to spend money to try again, it defaults to "no" when I'm trying to click through.

If you fail, next time you fight that particular spirit the shield is smaller from what I understand.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Melee's Adventure mode remains the only good Adventure mode. Short enough to beat in a quick play session. Varied enough to put an interesting spin on the standard Smash gameplay.

I think this opinion only can come from someone who just wants to stop playing single player in the first place. Meele's Adventure mode is fine the first time, and has a couple of neat surprises for one or two playthroughs afterwards... but then you need to do it again and again with little variation.

Last edited:

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018

Subspace Emissary was 1 to 2 hours of interesting content spread over a 10-hour bootleg Kirby game slog.

I'm about 3 hours into World of Light and am already sick of it. The AI battles are just too repetitive and mindless.

I totally disagree, this is by far the best singleplayer. The battles are the opposite of mindless, they actually require strategy.

R.D.Blax

Oct 26, 2017
Finally finished WoL, took me 23h, it was great. I will probablu finish 100% within the week and try hard at some point.

Woo, beat World of Light. ^_^
I do have a question for those of you who have completed it:
After opening up the paths for Galeem/Dharkon, I took the center one. What happens if you walk up to Galeem/Dharkon individually?

The one you didn't fight win, and everybody died, the end(Not kidding)

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty wild to me how divisive World of Light is. Having played over 10 hours of it, I have to say it's by far the greatest single player in a Smash game of all time. I'm flying through battles at this point with multiple legendary spirits. A couple legendary of each color, including neutrals. I have immunity spirits for every nasty stage effect, and amazing powered up abilities through the skill web. The RPG mechanics and customization really make you feel powerful and it's just like any good rpg where you can crush low level enemies with ease while the over 10,000 power spirits still offer a great challenge.

It's such a wonderful thing seeing the creativity behind each and every encounter. The music , the connections, it's such a treat for nostalgia and testing your game history knowledge. I get such a kick out of every single one it's astounding. The map is beautiful, easy to navigate with quick warp pipes, and simply offers cool moments with even more references. It's all such an addicting treat. Backing out to the spirit board to take on specific challenges is exciting too. Finding the Legendary ones and utilizing the right equipment and character for the job grants a fantastic feeling of accomplishment. They can be brutally hard but I'm finding those challenges to be just the right level.

When I'm not playing with friends I'm excited to go back to single player which is insane for me to say that considering it's a Smash game. I typically never play alone with this franchise and initially I was disappointed to find out there wasn't co-op in WoL. But it's all good at this point. I don't want this mode to ever end and I'm so glad it's a lengthy experience. The devs found such a great way to craft an interesting single player experience while also celebrating everything that Smash entails. I hope future entries of the series continues this idea.

In the past I've always found the SSB games (particularly Brawl and SSB4) to be overstuffed with systems that weren't all developed enough to be interesting, so I feel quite strongly about how well World of Light finally tidied them up into a coherent package where everything works with everything else, and the player is constantly given the opportunity to make flexible and meaningful choices (and stick with those choices if they find a comfort zone, something that the scattershot Subspace Emissary didn't even come close to enabling). Everything just clicks together. The collection, stat-building, and customization elements are finally worth doing because you can tailor them to highly specific, meticulously designed event matches, and you can do it quickly. You can look at your inventory, come up with an inspired approach, and refine it over multiple attempts at a difficult fight. There is a unity to it all that just wasn't present when trophies, stickers, custom moves, collectible stat buffs, and event matches were all separately doing their own thing.

That isn't even getting into how amazing the theatrical flavour of the game is, with the SSB characters "playing" all the minor parts not on the fighting roster, exactly like playing with a limited set of toys. More than anything else it reminds me of the legendary Warcraft III customs scene, where mapmakers would take a limited set of Warcraft models and make them stand in for all of their favourite characters from every IP imaginable, sometimes in remarkably creative ways. Only this time, we're seeing it in a professional product and within the rock-solid framework of Smash mechanics. Every few fights I come across a Spirits encounter design that makes me laugh out loud at how very much on point it is, how perfectly it represents the character or scenario it does.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Melee's adventure mode is definitely not nearly as varied as people like to make it out to be. Y'all need to take off your rose-tinted glasses. I feel like everything that Melee's adventure mode had is covered by Spirits/WoL and Classic modes. The only thing that one could argue is missing is a maze level, but do you really want a maze level in Smash? I don't.

Finally finished WoL, took me 23h, it was great. I will probablu finish 100% within the week and try hard at some point.

The one you didn't fight win, and everybody died, the end(Not kidding)

lol wow! That's nuts. I'll have to check that out when I get around to playing again, since apparently that's what I'm missing (I cleared out everything else), but I need to take a long ass break, I've been playing the entire time, only stopping for sleep and food haha.

ninjabot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Your character unlocks outside of the WoL aren't available in WoL itself until you unlock them again in WoL, so you are essentially doubling the amount of work you need to do, as any character rescued in WoL is available in every other mode in the game.

I ain't even mad. Most of them were gained in the 10 minute breaks I take at work or by doing the exploit where you do a single stock smash and then reset the game. Snow day let me miss work so I guess I'll go ahead and start WoL lol.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
In the past I've always found the SSB games (particularly Brawl and SSB4) to be overstuffed with systems that weren't all developed enough to be interesting, so I feel quite strongly about how well World of Light finally tidied them up into a coherent package where everything works with everything else, and the player is constantly given the opportunity to make flexible and meaningful choices (and stick with those choices if they find a comfort zone, something that the scattershot Subspace Emissary didn't even come close to enabling). Everything just clicks together. The collection, stat-building, and customization elements are finally worth doing because you can tailor them to highly specific, meticulously designed event matches, and you can do it quickly. You can look at your inventory, come up with an inspired approach, and refine it over multiple attempts at a difficult fight. There is a unity to it all that just wasn't present when trophies, stickers, custom moves, collectible stat buffs, and event matches were all separately doing their own thing.

That isn't even getting into how amazing the theatrical flavour of the game is, with the SSB characters "playing" all the minor parts not on the fighting roster, exactly like playing with a limited set of toys. More than anything else it reminds me of the legendary Warcraft III customs scene, where mapmakers would take a limited set of Warcraft models and make them stand in for all of their favourite characters from every IP imaginable, sometimes in remarkably creative ways. Only this time, we're seeing it in a professional product and within the rock-solid framework of Smash mechanics. Every few fights I come across a Spirits encounter design that makes me laugh out loud at how very much on point it is, how perfectly it represents the character or scenario it does.

Absolutely. The devs must have had so much fun figuring out which spirits match which smash character but it's crazy to me just how many there are!! Haha

And I totally agree this is the best way to utilize sticker and trophy collections. It's actually meaningful now. The one aspect I do miss are the short paragraphs tied to trophies. Those were always a nice touch to familiarize people with the character. But regardless, the Spirits are such a wonderful addition to the game. I doubt I'll ever use them during multiplayer, but having the option is nice. Maybe if a couple friends get into the spirits mode as much as I have, we'll run matches customizing our fighters.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
For those of you having trouble with a certain Street Fighter spirit battle in world of light: pick Game & Watch, beat him up until you get your Final Smash, then drag his ass off the screen.

Gluka

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have the dexterity to do tilts at all. It feels like I have to hardly press the control stick to get them and I struggle to do it even on the punching bag, much less in the actual game.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I unlocked my smash 4 main ganon and holy fuck is he a monster in this. Dont think he's ever been better. His up smash almost has too much range.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Weird, cause for me it's the first time I've actually considered my character and how to approach a fight. It's the first time I've actually strategized for a single player smash campaign and I'm loving it.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
So i need some help, when summoning spirits do you lose the spirits you need to use for the summoning? For example i need malon and rapidash to summon link on epona from ocarina of time, but at the same time i dont want to lose the other spirits yet.

Popetita

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR
WoL with Donkey using Giant and Metal transformstions is OP. I just steamroll everything.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
literally havent gotten to play a single online 1v1 yet :(

FFA with items is all I get

I'm giving up on the game for now. I spent a good few hours trying to unlock the character I want and now all I get is matches I don't want to be in. It's such a fucking disappointment.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty wild to me how divisive World of Light is. Having played over 10 hours of it, I have to say it's by far the greatest single player in a Smash game of all time. I'm flying through battles at this point with multiple legendary spirits. A couple legendary of each color, including neutrals. I have immunity spirits for every nasty stage effect, and amazing powered up abilities through the skill web. The RPG mechanics and customization really make you feel powerful and it's just like any good rpg where you can crush low level enemies with ease while the over 10,000 power spirits still offer a great challenge.

It's such a wonderful thing seeing the creativity behind each and every encounter. The music , the connections, it's such a treat for nostalgia and testing your game history knowledge. I get such a kick out of every single one it's astounding. The map is beautiful, easy to navigate with quick warp pipes, and simply offers cool moments with even more references. It's all such an addicting treat. Backing out to the spirit board to take on specific challenges is exciting too. Finding the Legendary ones and utilizing the right equipment and character for the job grants a fantastic feeling of accomplishment. They can be brutally hard but I'm finding those challenges to be just the right level.

When I'm not playing with friends I'm excited to go back to single player which is insane for me to say that considering it's a Smash game. I typically never play alone with this franchise and initially I was disappointed to find out there wasn't co-op in WoL. But it's all good at this point. I don't want this mode to ever end and I'm so glad it's a lengthy experience. The devs found such a great way to craft an interesting single player experience while also celebrating everything that Smash entails. I hope future entries of the series continues this idea.

Fully agreed. This is the most enjoyment I've had with a Smash solo mode since the original 51 event battles in Melee. Pretty much exactly how I always wanted that mode to evolve and expanded. At least in terms of general framework and progression. The spirits were worrisome to me at reveal, but I have become smitten at how they weave into the design. It's a wonderful mode and I am shocked at how strong it is out of the gate given the solo offering fumbles of Brawl and 4.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
WoL has been a blast, classic mode is absolutely incredible (is the mode im playong more) and i didnt have any problem playing online.
Sucks some people seem to have problem with them.

Yes, you lose them. I learned this the hard way
Waiting to get clones of them then. Thanks for the help!

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So the next challenge I'll be going to tackle now that I have WoL (basically) complete will be Classic with all the characters. For those of you who have beaten all/most of them, can you put together a list of the unique, interesting ones? I want to save those for last after grinding out the more standard ones.
Edit: Also, I already beat Mario and Marth's.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I think after playing a whole day and a half, I'm already a bit burned out with the game.

Turned it on today, did a Ghost fight, lost, did a new Challenger fight, lost, meh, maybe switching to something else.

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017
Either these challenger fights are a lot harder this game or I'm more rusty than I thought.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I totally disagree, this is by far the best singleplayer. The battles are the opposite of mindless, they actually require strategy.

Yup WoL is amazing. It's by far the best single player mode in Smash Bros and I'd argue it's among the best campaigns in any fighting game, if not the best.

Melee's Adventure Mode was pretty novel back in 2001, but even then, it got incredibly stale after three or four playthroughs. Both Melee's Adventure Mode and SSE proved that Smash Bros. is a garbage platformer and I'm so happy the team made a single player mode that focuses on what this series does best - the actual fighting.

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have the therory, that there will be a Photo-Mode released in the future, where you can set characters anywhere on the stages with different parts of there animation.

My reason are the photos in Challeges. In all previous Smash games all photos are made in-game and there some like them on the challenge board, but there are also some, which would be impossible to recreate. Most noticeable is Peachs, where all the characters are off-center and in the background.
vqotitye.jpg

This photo is impossible to recreate. So there could be Photo-Mode on the way.

R.D.Blax

Oct 26, 2017
By the way I really liked that despite Gallem and Darkhon "teaming up", they were still pretty much fighting each other and that every time one them was dazed, the other have an attack to take advantage of that lol

Now for something different, do anyone know if Peach and Daisy have any difference at all beside the cosmetics one ?

castaction

Oct 28, 2017
man the challenger are fucking hard , my wife and i are getting our asses kicked :( i couldnt touch bayonetta

Sgtpepper89

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
man the challenger are fucking hard , my wife and i are getting our asses kicked :( i couldnt touch bayonetta

My Kirby is getting destroyed by anyone wearing swords:( Also when Isabelle finally showed up I got so exited that I shoked and died lol. Luckily she turned up right after in WoL. Overall its much easier to unlock the characters in WoL.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yup WoL is amazing. It's by far the best single player mode in Smash Bros and I'd argue it's among the best campaigns in any fighting game, if not the best.

Melee's Adventure Mode was pretty novel back in 2001, but even then, it got incredibly stale after three or four playthroughs. Both Melee's Adventure Mode and SSE proved that Smash Bros. is a garbage platformer and I'm so happy the team made a single player mode that focuses on what this series does best - the actual fighting.
Agree with everything you said. I honestly never thought Smash games to be anything other than party games. The SP never did it before for me. What they have done with WOL makes so much sense, far more than some half ass platforming.

Quickly become my favorite switch game

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agree with everything you said. I honestly never thought Smash games to be anything other than party games. The SP never did it before for me. What they have done with WOL makes so much sense, far more than some half ass platforming.

Quickly become my favorite switch game

Same. I thought Subspace Emissary in Brawl would buck the trend.

It did not.

Let's not even mention Smash 4's single player modes. In both versions of the game it's.....not good, at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.