• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What are you most excited about potentially seeing in the coming weeks?

• The Sequel to the Breath of the Wild

Votes: 468 36.0%
  • 3D Donkey Kong

Votes: 121 9.3%
  • Metroid 5

Votes: 176 13.5%
  • Pikmin 4

Votes: 31 2.4%
  • Fire Emblem

Votes: 43 3.3%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Votes: 119 9.2%
  • Switch Pro Hardware

Votes: 342 26.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not expecting Triangle Strategy at E3 at all. They already released a demo and received a good ton of feedback. We will most likely get an update at the September Direct just like Octopath Traveler. Also, the team did say that the next update/news will be when it's cold.

Although I think we might see Dragon Quest III remake shown off at the E3 Direct and announce the window release maybe? I would imagine Nintendo wants to get some sort of exclusivity when it comes to Dragon Quest.
Actually seeing and possibly getting some kind of date for DQ3R would be cool.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
yeah I guess that's where we differ, I expect Nintendo to reveal their full lineup for the rest of the year during this E3 as opposed to giving us reveals when they're certain they can give us exact dates.
Ok just keep in mind they seem to be avoiding that lately. It works best for their sales. For example if you know you are getting games W, X, Y, Z in the next three months, you are more likely to skip game W because X, Y are more important.

In short, I don't think we are getting most of 2021 dates yet, not even half.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is anyone else thinking we will see more 2022 games than in a normal E3 presentation (following year games)? They always use "focus on specific year". Then there's the usual "confusion" if there means they will show something for the following year by some people.

Them saying "mostly 2021" is like clear, cut and dry. They want you to know we will show 2022 games. It feels a little more emphasized.

They've already announced two 2022 first party games that have a decent to good chance to show up at the direct with Splatoon 3 and Legends Arceus. We also don't know for sure when BotW2 will come out.

I think it's also entirely possible that the "mostly 2021" wording is there because they've yet to finalize the release dates for some games which might still slip into 2022. We've heard from multiple people like Jason that we shouldn't take any release dates for granted. Sony also just recently said that Horizon 2 is aiming for the holidays but they aren't committing to a release date just yet.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Play games!
I'm working and playing Robotics;Notes on the side, time's flying by.
I've been playing MH Rise and re-started Valkyria Chronicles 4, but I feel too limp to play for longer stretches of time. Lying around with the smartphone in hand and shitposting is what I feel comfortable with the most right now. xD

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nate is recording his Microsoft predictions today for tomorrow...guess I have something to look forward too

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Although I think we might see Dragon Quest III remake shown off at the E3 Direct and announce the window release maybe? I would imagine Nintendo wants to get some sort of exclusivity when it comes to Dragon Quest.

I actually think Square Enix West is taking Dragon Quest more in-house and multiplatform going forward, just speculating based on their recent press release for that anniversary stream.

If a DQ game is/was Nintendo exclusive, Square Enix West doesn't market it. Their own website for Dragon Quest XI S doesn't mention the Switch version (which is kinda funny). The fact they mentioned most of the games in that press release, most of which are planned worldwide release, suggests they're going at least multiplat and publishing 'em themselves. Probably for Switch + other consoles + maybe PC, hopefully.

What's interesting are the exceptions. DQX is obvious, but Dragon Quest X Offline is an odd one, as the stream didn't say a worldwide release wasn't happening yet it's nowhere to be found in Square Enix's PR. My guess is that's the one Nintendo has secured a publishing deal for in the west, and we might see it next week.

Last edited:

Leo

Oct 27, 2017

If we see DQ on the E3 Direct, it won't be any of the games announced on that stream, because it would mean Nintendo is publishing it.

I'm hoping for some ports myself, could be IV-VI out VII-VIII. I think there's good chance they exist and weren't shown because they're Nintendo exclusives.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
If we see DQ on the E3 Direct, it won't be any of the games announced on that stream, because it would mean Nintendo is publishing it.

I'm hoping for some ports myself, could be IV-VI out VII-VIII. I think there's good chance they exist and weren't shown because they're Nintendo exclusives.

It wouldn't be out of the norm if Nintendo was publishing DQ 3 remake/12 would it? Look at DQ builders, Nintendo published it while Square published it on other platforms.

famicorpse

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Mar 15, 2019
Good morning. Did they announce the Pikmin Battle Royale rebrand for Pikmin 4 yet?

How was your weekend?

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
The plot twist of E3 is going to be that Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle 2 is actually Zelda + Rabbids Hyrule Battle.
I do feel like there's something unexpected coming with Zelda. Personally hoping for a new entry from the portable team (2021 or 2022 I don't care, so long as the 2D games have a future). Or maybe it'll end up being something like Four Swords Adventures HD, with local wireless and online multiplayer.

I could see a funny situation where the expected ports don't appear just yet, but other things do instead.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ubi should be doing Starfox damn :(

200.gif

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Honestly now the two compilations I need for Switch - moreso than a Twilight Princess/Wind Waker double-pack - are Mass Effect Legendary Edition and a Final Fantasy Anthology that includes good versions of the first six games.

Jan 26, 2019
I do feel like there's something unexpected coming with Zelda. Personally hoping for a new entry from the portable team (2021 or 2022 I don't care, so long as the 2D games have a future). Or maybe it'll end up being something like Four Swords Adventures HD, with local wireless and online multiplayer.

I could see a funny situation where the expected ports don't appear just yet, but other things do instead.

Well, I was joking about Zelda + Rabbids, but honestly? I've kind of been expecting we get something completely out of left field akin to Cadence of Hyrule before too long. Not exactly that but something featuring the IP.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Starlink without garb toys, bigger budget and Nintendo overlooking it would make a good try at a modern day Star Fox game.

Baobab

Feb 4, 2021
No reviews at all for Griftlands and Umurangi generation makes me sad.
I just need like one review to state that they are good ports on the switch, the reviews from steam users are excellent for both titles and they both have a discount right now.

Honestly now the two compilations I need for Switch - moreso than a Twilight Princess/Wind Waker double-pack - are Mass Effect Legendary Edition and a Final Fantasy Anthology that includes good versions of the first six games.
I will take your two compilations and double it with an ulterior Castelavania compilation and a Metroid Prime collection.
Mass effect on a handheld would be magnificent!

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
I think that if Nintendo gives Starfox to Platinum again, but this time giving them total freedom to do the game they want the way they want, something great will come out of it. Just avoid Miyamoto's weird visions and let them do what they do best.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ubi did Starlink and besides tanking due to the toys2life mechanics, it's a legit good game.

Went back to it recently and found it repetitive and shallow even beyond the t2l stuff. Good takes on the Star Fox characters with some neat ideas but absolutely not how I'd want a Star Fox game to play in any shape or form. The open world just a pretty backdrop without any interesting geography or structures.

This is without touching on Ubisoft doing fuck all to deal with the shocking number of harassment allegations of last year. I wish Nintendo would cut ties with them until they get their shit together but clearly that's not happening.

Who's gonna do Starfox then

and don't tell me Nintendo because we know how it ended last time lol

If given the choice between a bad entry and a medicore, decent at best space shooter that has barely anything to do with Star Fox, I'd rather the series just stay dormant.

Ideally they would have given the series to Treasure, Sakurai or Bandai Namco's Ace Combat team but sadly none of those seem very likely.

Starlink was a legitimately better Star Fox game than any one released since Assault, maybe even 64.

A bigger budget and a firm guiding hand from on high and we'd be cooking with gas.

You're saying this like that's a particularly high bar to clear.

Plum

May 31, 2018
No reviews at all for Griftlands and Umurangi generation makes me sad.
I just need like one review to state that they are good ports on the switch, the reviews from steam users are excellent for both titles and they both have a discount right now.

I've been playing the latter and it's definitely a mixed bag. The graphics are on the low-end compared to the PC version (lots of blatant pop-in when walking about - thankfully none whilst using the camera), the resolution is low in docked mode (for an intentionally low-res game) and the framerate ranges from 20-60fps.

However its got an amazing gyro implementation that makes the actual photography that much more fun to use (especially in handheld), and in handheld it has full touch-screen support on all menus. It also doesn't run/look *that* bad, and the game itself is slow-paced enough that it doesn't matter too much in practice.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Actually seeing and possibly getting some kind of date for DQ3R would be cool.
Was this confirmed 2021?

Starlink was a legitimately better Star Fox game than any one released since Assault, maybe even 64.

A bigger budget and a firm guiding hand from on high and we'd be cooking with gas.
That is quite the take.

Starlink is very much not Starfox in any regard, it was just cool to see Fox and the Arwing in that setting. I'm not saying we should never get a Star Fox like it, but everything that makes that series what it is was only slightly present in Starlink and it wasn't done very well.

Adhrast

Jan 17, 2018
oooh. Would you recommmend it? (I love S;G a lot)

Definitely.
It starts off as a chilled teen drama, almost, but the underlying lingering menace grows until the point where everything just explodes towards the end.
I've also been surprisingly hit in the feels a couple of times, really really good writing. The overall story is far less bombastic than S;G, but it's beautiful in its own right. I'd suggest to play it even to someone new to the SciAdv series, it's just that good.

VelvetMonkey

Aug 18, 2020
I'm team TentativelyAnyDayThisWeek, does that count?
I'm on team today, until tomorrow then I'll be on team today again

Who needs Mother 3 when Deltarune is coming soon?
Yes! My favorite attitude.
I can't.

It's possible but there's no buzz.
Reasonable. Fair enough.
High five

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't want a Mercury Steam Metroid game lead by Nintendo after their Castlevania games. Oh wait.

Star Fox definitely needs a change. It can be what it is as a $20 eShop game though.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Ok just keep in mind they seem to be avoiding that lately. It works best for their sales. For example if you know you are getting games W, X, Y, Z in the next three months, you are more likely to skip game W because X, Y are more important.

In short, I don't think we are getting most of 2021 dates yet, not even half.
I guess we'll see but I think my odds are better than yours considering there is a 40 minutes direct incoming which is more inline with how Nitendo revealed their projects before 2020.

Seboss

Jun 18, 2019
oooh. Would you recommmend it? (I love S;G a lot)
I'm not the one you asked, but as a fellow S;G fan please let me share my impressions. First thing first: S;G is head and shoulders above all the other Science Adventure VNs. The Chaos;Head fans will have my head for that. I agree Chaos;Head and Chaos;Child are both excellent VNs, but the vibe is so much different from S;G and it lacks the chemistry between the characters that makes S;G so loveable.

As for Robotics;Notes, I enjoyed it quite a bit. The story's progression is interesting, the cast is pretty endearing even though some characters are criminally under-utilized (S;G kinda has the same issue). I felt like the themes the story touches are not as well researched as time travel in S;G and as a result, it was harder to maintain my suspension of disbelief throughout the story. Much less so than Chaos;[Head|Child] that are a way deep into Bizarro World though.

So yeah, I would recommend R;N. Just don't expect it to be S;G. As for R;N: Dash that is bundled with R;N on Switch, I'm not sure it's worth your time. It's entertaining I guess, but it doesn't even try to be believable, it's way too centered on Daru's shenanigans and it's choke full with questionable fan service. I would put it with S;G: My Darling's Embrace and the other SciAdv romcom spinoffs. Not my cup of tea.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't want a Mercury Steam Metroid game lead by Nintendo after their Castlevania games. Oh wait.

Star Fox definitely needs a change. It can be what it is as a $20 eShop game though.

I mean, for one, Castlevania Lords of Shadows 1 is a much better game than Starlink. But I also wouldn't blame anyone for being skeptical about MercurySteam delivering a decent Metroid after LoS2 and Mirror of Fate. This idea that Nintendo has the infallible golden touch is ridiculous. Why not let Arzest make all of their games then?

ozeiyo

Feb 12, 2020

This but unironically.
it actually turned out ok but it's not that great either.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Ableism, Inflammatory Armchair Mental Health Diagnosis
This but unironically.
it actually turned out ok but it's not that great either.

I think in the circumstances Samus Returns turned out we well as it possibly could. It was a slick remake of a GB game by an outside studio and Sakamoto showed that whatever brain disease afflicted him during Other M has been successfully treated.

Statux

Banned
Jan 13, 2020
If given the choice between a bad entry and a medicore, decent at best space shooter that has barely anything to do with Star Fox, I'd rather the series just stay dormant.

Ideally they would have given the series to Treasure, Sakurai or Bandai Namco's Ace Combat team but sadly none of those seem very likely.
Starlink was the closest this series has been to do something barely relevant for 20+ years. Starfox has some of my favorite characters ever and on Starlink I feel like they we were given, for the first time in decades, some love and attention. Even if it could be polished a lot, an open world a la Starlink would be amazing for keeping the series relevant and honestly it is a logical step coming from a on-rails shooter.

So yeah, I would be so fuckin in because Ninty doesn't seem to know wtf do with some of its best franchises

Status
Not open for further replies.