• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
I think with the limited public data we've seen I would wager that what Nintendo sees is that releasing multiplayer games is a bigger driver of subscriptions than the classic games. It's probably the reason stuff like 3D World and Mario Party have online multiplayer now.
I feel if NSO wasn't doing well, we would see "more" from Nintendo. But I feel it's doing well enough that they don't feel the need to improve it right now.

hell for all we know, Mario Kart 8 is what's keeping people subbed in to play online lol.

and now a major online game is coming this year with Mario Party superstars so it'll be interesting how well it does.

I just want to play Golden Sun and FFTA on my switch.

Alas, I have a feeling Occam's razor is at play here and you're both absolutely right. People buy a new console to play new games.

I just want the games I grew up with to remind me of when my brain produced serotonin naturally. I don't get the nostalgia for NES, SNES (or even N64 outside of a select few titles, if I'm being honest), but Gamecube just does something different for me. Honestly even if it was leaked ahead of E3 I'm probably most psyched for Super Monkey Ball.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
This is true.

I think people would be happier if they stopped viewing NES/SNES NSO as, like, a $20/year classic games subscription service and as, like, a "free" perk with the $20/year online play subscription. Because that's how Nintendo seems to view it and how they're pitching it. It's a perk, like things like Tetris 99.

Someone in this thread was like "why aren't the classic Final Fantasies on NSO when current-gen SE games are on Game Pass?!? Microsoft must just give SE tons more money than Nintendo is willing to!" and, like, yeah. Game Pass is a game subscription service, and a single month of Game Pass Ultimate costs nearly as much as a year of NSO. I'm sort of surprised any third party games make it onto the NSO library to be honest.

Don't view the NSO library as something that is supposed to be a replacement for the Virtual Console, because Nintendo's never going to add that many games and make them "free" with a $20 online play subscription. If anything, view it as a consolation prize for discontinuing the NES and SNES Classic mini.

I'd be delighted to see Game Boy games added, because a lot of those are sort of being forgotten. (Even in this thread, people have argued things like "adding GB games would be pointless without Pokémon" or whatever.) I think people expecting N64 and GameCube and Wii games to be added are going to be very disappointed. Nintendo can and will sell those for money. They already have been.
If they want to sell N64 and GameCube games, then they should actually do it. There are currently none for sale on the eShop. Even for Wii, the original versions of games are nowhere to be seen, unless Skyward Sword HD is more emulated than they're letting on.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Yep, and I think Monster Hunter Rise probably helped adoption/renewal as well.
Yeah I think you're right. You just have to compare, for example, the games offered by Microsoft in Games with Gold and those offered with Game Pass. One is for playing online, another just for games.

NSO is Games with Gold.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious to ask what do you guys look for when you play a Zelda game.

Personally, dungeons are a huge priority for me because it's what differentiates Zelda from other action/adventure games. This is why I'm always surprised by people thinking Wind Waker is one of the best Zelda games when the dungeons are terrible. People say the music and atmosphere are what carries the game but tbh other Zelda games have that as well. To me, it doesn't have enough to carry the game, unlike say BOTW which also had mediocre dungeons but everything else was done extremely well.

For all the flaws Skyward Sword has it still has incredible dungeons which is why imo it's better than Wind Waker by default.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just for the record: I agree with the (unspoken) conclusion reached on this page that Nintendo should definitely release a spiritual successor to GoldenEye 007 to drive NSO subscriptions. I'm glad that we all agree on that.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

Personally, dungeons are a huge priority for me because it's what differentiates Zelda from other action/adventure games. This is why I'm always surprised by people thinking Wind Waker is one of the best Zelda games when the dungeons are terrible. People say the music and atmosphere are what carries the game but tbh other Zelda games have that as well. To me, it doesn't have enough to carry the game, unlike say BOTW which also had mediocre dungeons but everything else was done extremely well.

For all the flaws Skyward Sword has it still has incredible dungeons which is why imo it's better than Wind Waker by default.
Honestly? It just has to be fun and full of puzzles, exploration and adventure. I don't care if that's given in traditional dungeon format or not. BotW was the most fun, had the best puzzles, best sense of exploration and most full of adventure so I like it the most.

Edengamer25

Aug 29, 2020

I love BOTW as I generally love open world games, and I thought the divine beasts and the shrines were good. But I think Ocarina of Time seemed to be the most balanced game and has some of my favorite dungeons, and cool overworld. Actually Link Between Worlds may be a bit better personally as I liked the overworld a lot with the many secrets, and the dungeons were so good. But for 3D Ocarina wins

superbright

Feb 11, 2019
United Kingdom
I was hoping they'd do the same thing they did with Tetris 99 with Pac-man 99, where they release a physical copy with the DLC and 12 months NSO, in time for my NSO renewal. Not looking good.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017

who the FUCK voted for DRIPS??????????????

No drips, big dumps! No drips, big dumps! No drips, big dumps! No drips, big dumps! No drips, big dumps! No drips, big dumps! No drips, big dumps! No drips, big dumps! No drips, big dumps! No drips, big dumps! No drips, big dumps! No drips, big dumps! No drips, big dumps! No drips, big dumps!

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
who the FUCK voted for DRIPS??????????????

No drips, big dumps! No drips, big dumps! No drips, big dumps! No drips, big dumps! No drips, big dumps! No drips, big dumps! No drips, big dumps! No drips, big dumps! No drips, big dumps! No drips, big dumps! No drips, big dumps! No drips, big dumps! No drips, big dumps! No drips, big dumps!
200.gif

Gamer_Gian

Feb 9, 2020
God I hope they don't screw up Mario Party again, Nintendo just can't seem to turn out quality multiplayer Mario spin offs for some reason, at least judging by early reviews for Golf

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

I am just the opposite of you. My favorite part of Zelda is what's between the dungeons. The quests to access them, reach a town, explore the surroundings ...

This is why Wind Waker and BOTW are my favorites. Dungeons I have the feeling that they have structures that are too strict and formulaic.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
God I hope they don't screw up Mario Party again, Nintendo just can't seem to turn out quality multiplayer Mario spin offs for some reason, at least judging by early reviews for Golf

Different developers. Plus most Mario sports titles haven't reviewed well since the N64/GBC era. Part of that is because they're not really the kind of game that reviews well in modern times.

Mario Party also rarely reviews well. And that includes the N64 titles.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Different developers. Plus most Mario sports titles haven't reviewed well since the N64/GBC era. Part of that is because they're not really the kind of game that reviews well in modern times.

Mario Party also rarely reviews well. And that includes the N64 titles.
I have a feeling that today reviews have been tougher than before.

I can't imagine a game like Mario Golf 64 having a 91 on Metacritic nowadays. No sports game at all, really.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling that today reviews have been tougher than before.

I can't imagine a game like Mario Golf 64 having a 91 on Metacritic nowadays. No sports game at all, really.

Yeah in general things are a lot tougher nowadays. And I don't think sports titles in general mesh with how a lot of video game reviewers see the industry.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
Would you pay more for NSO Gold if it included GB/GBC/GBA and N64 games? How much more would you be willing to pay?

If they charged $49.99/year for a family play, I'd absolutely do it.

hologram

Jun 30, 2020
Will of the Wisps is $15 right now. Hard to not bite, but I haven't played the first game
I would recommend playing the first game first. If nothing else, the opening of the second game will spoil the ending of the first (which is a bit of a tearjerker tbh)
anyone else remember when the NSO service was going to be 1 game a month, and after that month the game would be taken away?????
No??? This was a thing???
Metacritic and punctuation have become toxic to a point. Honestly, a 6 or 7 out of 10 isn't bad. That's average. But in the gming world a 70-79 is basically garbage.
Like it or not, game reviews do not sit on a real 1-10 scale. 9 and 10 mean great to amazing, 8 means generally pretty enjoyable, and 7 means a bit iffy. 6 or lower? Waste of your time, get out of here. Obviously there will be differences for individual reviewers but the vast majority seem to follow this general guide.

It reminds me of the first time I taught a college course. The grading guidelines explicitly acknowledged that grade inflation exists, and is a problem. Nevertheless, it pointed out that trying to grade to a more "reasonable" curve in your class will not fix that problem, but will only serve to penalize your students with grades which look worse than what everyone else is getting.
Is it me or is it incomprehensible how different the responses are to a game with a 75 on Metacritic from a game with an 80 on Metacritic?

It is a difference of half a point, I find it difficult to understand that people are really saying "Wow, great game" of one and "Clearly it is shit" of another.
Following on from the previous point, the difference between 75 and 80 is substantial once you acknowledge how inflated (and compressed) gaming scores are. 80 means most people liked it; a few loved it; a few were a little more mixed. 75 means a much more sizable chunk thought the game was mediocre or worse.

Again, not defending the system - it would be much more useful if games were rated on a similar scale to films. But let's not pretend that the current system is meaningless or doesn't have any kind of its own internal logic.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I would recommend playing the first game first. If nothing else, the opening of the second game will spoil the ending of the first (which is a bit of a tearjerker tbh)

No??? This was a thing???

Like it or not, game reviews do not sit on a real 1-10 scale. 9 and 10 mean great to amazing, 8 means generally pretty enjoyable, and 7 means a bit iffy. 6 or lower? Waste of your time, get out of here. Obviously there will be differences for individual reviewers but the vast majority seem to follow this general guide.

It reminds me of the first time I taught a college course. The grading guidelines explicitly acknowledged that grade inflation exists, and is a problem. Nevertheless, it pointed out that trying to grade to a more "reasonable" curve in your class will not fix that problem, but will only serve to penalize your students with grades which look worse than what everyone else is getting.

Following on from the previous point, the difference between 75 and 80 is substantial once you acknowledge how inflated (and compressed) gaming scores are. 80 means most people liked it; a few loved it; a few were a little more mixed. 75 means a much more sizable chunk thought the game was mediocre or worse.

Again, not defending the system - it would be much more useful if games were rated on a similar scale to films. But let's not pretend that the current system is meaningless or doesn't have any kind of its own internal logic.
Nah, the difference between film reviews and game reviews is that people actually review bad movies. Hardly anyone reviews bad games. And it is normal. Because I can see a bad movie in two hours, playing a bad game can be five times that. Why any reviewer is going to waste their time?

Nobody wastes time reviewing the tons of garbage with 2, 3 and 4 that are in the eshop or Steam. That's why we never see those reviews. If you look at Metacritic, most of the games do not reach the 4 reviews necessary to average.

Look at this. https://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/release-date/new-releases/pc/date Nobody is going to review that crap. That's why we only see games with good reviews.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
with photoshop any dreams can come true
E4qrpgrWEAMEjY-

Leo

Oct 27, 2017

The Zelda games are usually so well crafted that I always buy what they're selling (with the exception of SS's motion controls, boy, I did not enjoy that). I love TP for its dungeons, WW for its looks and atmosphere, BotW for the freedom and sense of wonder, MM for its creepy atmosphere and involved side quests, and OoT for everything.

I do love an intricate dungeon design though, so I'll be very excited if BotW2 goes back there.

Spheromancer

Sep 24, 2020
with photoshop any dreams can come true
E4qrpgrWEAMEjY-

Glad to have you back in the leak game! You've always been so reliable imo way more reliable than Nate. You're the king of Nintendo leaks. Still cant wait for your prediction of Waluigi & Donkey Kong's co-op 3D game coming out next month! Cant believe its real.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
If they want to sell N64 and GameCube games, then they should actually do it. There are currently none for sale on the eShop. Even for Wii, the original versions of games are nowhere to be seen, unless Skyward Sword HD is more emulated than they're letting on.
I think a combination of HD remasters and $40-60 collections that they can also sell at retail is probably the way they're going to handle selling those games going forward.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
So, I just remembered that Disco Elysium was releasing on Switch and Xbox One this summer. Are specific dates known? I can't find anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.